MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't know. We have a guy at my store who has been there for a long time. He typically throws the truck. When unload is done he grabs the heaviest stuff and pushes it out. The guy works hard and fast. Never complains. He's nothing close to a sociopath or anything like that. Nice guy really just not great with people and tends to go out of his way to avoid guests. That used to not be an issue because he could do it all before the store opened. Now, Spot might not like it, but the store would be screwed without him while trying to find a replacement.
Many off the types were moved into sfs at our location. Or already in br or what not. Every inbound was given the chance to jump ship. Just like electronics when we got rid of tech to sell phones.

Last edited:
Many off the types were moved into sfs at our location. Or already in br or what not. Every inbound was given the chance to jump ship. Just like electronics when we got rid of tech to sell phones.

I have no idea if this guy was given that chance or not. All I know is that right now he's a lifesaver at my store. In a lowkey way without him it wouldn't work at all. Here's what typically happens at my store and it's something I'm planning to have a chat with ETL-Log next shift because I can't do the job I'm responsible for with it. After the truck is unloaded most people instead of grabbing whatever they are responsible for grab whatever vehicle they think will be easiest and they work them until they are gone for the day. So, toys, nursing, office supplies, small appliances are normally pushed first. So my section gets pushed quickly by people not named me or anyone else assigned to it. On the one hand, hey thanks. On the other that creates problems and I don't want to be held responsible for how they are pushing my section because it's not being zoned along the way and it's being ridiculously overstocked. But, because that's "done" and there is still more push left for things they didn't want to push out I have to spend the rest of my shift doing that in other sections so I can't be in toys trying to make it right and helping guests, but I'm still going to be held responsible for it. And, because hardlines is extremely understaffed at night there's little real chance for night crew to properly zone and and audit toys like they should. It's too big of a mess.

It doesn't always happen exactly like that, but that's a pretty good summation. So, anyway, I'm grateful for the one guy who does willingly grab the heaviest push because I would crack if all of it was left for me. He's not great with guests. That's okay to me. I'll take them and be happy he's doing as much of the furniture as he can get done before his shift is over.

Man I would rather struggle to find a replacement than be bothered almost daily to help a guest they can't help because they're complete social outcasts with no future hope of having a relationship or giving a fuck about another human being. Really, though.

You need to dial it down.

I've seen plenty of "social people" who can't really be bothered to do their job. Hell, I've seen ETLs like this.

I'd rather work with someone who gives a damn about doing their job & who might struggle a bit with helping guests.... than someone who stands around chatting with other team members, and can't be bothered to accomplish very much during a shift.

The sad thing is that they are so unaware of their own bad ideas that they do not realize how much damage each new focus and “non-negotiable” hurts us.
This. I don't think that it's an automatic "change is bad and I'm not doing it and you can't make me" attitude. It's more like "wow it was working great and now we have to do what?" (Or "I just got used to doing it this new way and now there's another new way?") So there's some grumbling, but ok whatever, the suits have spoken. And then we're waving through the store. And then it happens again and now it's about u-boats & tubs and no pallets. And then it happens again and we're doing a slower unload while sorting more straight off the truck and pushing truck all day long. So now I'm keeping trash and back stock on the same u-boat I'm pushing from, supposedly but not really doing my own back stock (there's never enough time and my TL tells me to leave it), assisting 1 guest for long enough that other TMs are feeling sorry for me not being able to escape. (She was funny, but really, enough already.) And on those days I can't stay past my shift, I'm leaving stock for someone else to push. Strange how that non-flow person/s who finish up always seem to overstock and put product in the wrong places. But oh well! The suits sure know their stuff!

Those people tend to be the ones who actually kept their areas zoned or the backroom 100% clean. The overly social TMs are the ones who, more often than not, don't give an actual fuck about how the store looks when they leave.
I avoid guests like the plague until I see one that looks lost. It's almost obvious who wants help and who doesn't to me but of course I may miss a few folks who aren't the type to ask for help but wish someone would ask so it's not awkward for them. I'm like that in some stores even though I work retail. I'm talking about the ones who are super antisocial with guests but they talk their asses off with other TMs while pushing slow. I 100% relate with the person who avoids guests because they're antisocial or awkward or w/e and they just get their job done and don't back up checklanes and all that. I relate with that. Sorry I was too shorthanded in my meaning in my original post.

We literally have 2 trucks sitting unloaded on our dock because we cant get them unloaded, there's no room. We went from being the best backroom in the district to a complete shit show every day in a matter of months. There are hazards everywhere and we are all angry at people we actually really care for because the morale has never been lower. Now that Steritech has finally showed up you can kiss those fire exits goodbye...The STL almost never comes back into receiving because she knows how bad it is and cant even look us in the eye....what the fuck are you doing Target??

Last edited:
Shoot I will take that! They wont lets us zone 8n apparel with ANYTHING so we either throw entire racks on the floor to properly zone them or leqve the shit racks until the next reset. Which the vml doesnt even bother zoning just moves on pile of crap to the next rack. At this point they are lucky they get the floor picked up tying our freaking hands like this

Shoot I will take that! They wont lets us zone 8n apparel with ANYTHING so we either throw entire racks on the floor to properly zone them or leqve the shit racks until the next reset. Which the vml doesnt even bother zoning just moves on pile of crap to the next rack. At this point they are lucky they get the floor picked up tying our freaking hands like this
They don’t let you use carts for zoning? Bastards.

Yup. This. I was scolded by one of the ETL's for using a regular shopping cart of reshop.

"They're for our guests!" *sees cartwell full of carts*

Fine. 😔

We're supposed to be using the 3-tier carts. And even then, we have a limited amount due to most of them being in use for backstock, push, price change, new pogs, etc.

*sigh*

Yup. This. I was scolded by one of the ETL's for using a regular shopping cart of reshop.

"They're for our guests!" *sees cartwell full of carts*

Fine. 😔

We're supposed to be using the 3-tier carts. And even then, we have a limited amount due to most of them being in use for backstock, push, price change, new pogs, etc.

*sigh*
Oh, we use those too. They’re not so bad. Only frustrating thing is when there aren’t any available .

We were sternly warned to "never" use shopping carts for anything! Presentation and Price change have to use smart carts. Told it was a write up and could be put on CA if caught. We are only allowed one vehicle at a time on the floor. Not allowed to have vehicles on the floor when we go to our breaks or lunches so if we are working in the same area we stagger the times so someone is always near. And this not including our smart cart or tub we have to use to move clearance, carryforward merchandise, abandons, etc... Of course ASANTS but for us it's been a big adjustment and an eye opener. Even our cleaning crew is not supposed to use guest carts for anything either...We are SOL!

Shopping carts no thats a given company wide but we arent allowed to have ANY vehicle not a 3 tier not a rack nothing. Yet we get sniped at every damned night for not having detailed zones. Its a load of bull.
Yeah I understand no plastic shopping carts, but this seems a bit extreme.

Yes, I have seen something like this at Kohl's for the customers to use.
Apparently one of my team leaders saw them in Nordstrom Rack, and he thought they would be good for reshop. Less space means we stay on top of our reshop faster.

I get the reasoning, but I would only like it if there were a dedicated team member working on just reshop. The carts fill up so quickly, we have to go up like every 10 minutes. It distracts us from zoning.

Apparently one of my team leaders saw them in Nordstrom Rack, and he thought they would be good for reshop. Less space means we stay on top of our reshop faster.

I get the reasoning, but I would only like it if there were a dedicated team member working on just reshop. The carts fill up so quickly, we have to go up like every 10 minutes. It distracts us from zoning.
I work at GS and on some days I could fill this up with one return. I can't imagine 4thQ

I can see it now.

"Domestics. You have a full cart of reshop at GS."

*5 minutes later*

"Domestics. You have reshop again."

*Dies inside*
This is exactly how it’s like.

I kid you not, this happened to me last week-

“Toys, you have a full cart of reshop at guest service”

So I go pick it up. Not even a minute after I bring it over to toys, I get another call for reshop.

And we only have like 12 of them in total. We barely have enough now as it is, imagine after Christmas when we get all those returns :eek:

I can see it now.

"Domestics. You have a full cart of reshop at GS."

*5 minutes later*

"Domestics. You have reshop again."

*Dies inside*

We have this going on now. Guest service is expected to call us for every two items (per department). But they only divide it into hardlines, softlines, and grocery.

So I’m getting a call everytime anyone returns an item of clothing...

Back