MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oof so I’m guessing @SLtl21 has a head of gray hair and his/her STL was some millennial cunt straight outta liberal arts college...this unfortunate story has apparently been playing out at many stores all across the country. Gross. The more I read shit like this the more I realize how stupidly lucky I got with the team at my store...granted we could be doing a lot better but by some miracle we don’t have any serious Koolaid junkies on our leadership team...YET. But this makes me paranoid that someday we will get one and then it’ll be all over but the cryin’

Well if I let nature take it's course, I would have a head full of grey hair lol Thank God for hair dye :) All was well up until about 2 years ago, we had a fantastic team and we were like a family, we got shit done and we were very successful at it. Then we got a new STL and things started to unravel, not a millennial cunt but a pompous asshole and a bigot also, then he was followed by a new SF ETL whom is definitely a millennial self righteous know it all. From day one she didn't like me. Never worked along side of me and never asked for my opinion or advice on a department I had been in charge of for 17+ years. Instead she buddied up with the VM and they became in her words "BFF's"

She right out of the gate made several of my star team members quit because of her holier than thou attitude and the way she spoke to them (and to me) Our HR whom everyone loved and who had been there about as long as I can remember ended up quitting due to the STL being the ass that he is. So we had been without an HR for almost a year, had a few new ones come in but they left after about a month or so. The STL takes everything the ETL and VM do and say as if it were the gospel and anything I would do or say was not worthy. Once the modernization started is when things got very tense between us and there was nothing I could do that was right in their book. I saw the writing on the wall and tried to step up my game and try to keep a few steps ahead of them but I was out numbered. My team saw what was happening and were very upset by it and we lost quite a few more very valuable team members that were replaced over and over again because even the newer ones started bailing out after a month or so.

Every time I THOUGHT I was catching up the expectations would be changed or I would be under a microscope for the tiniest of things. The way she spoke to me was deplorable at times ie: "When you're here your team does whatever in F*** they want" Or when talking about a team members attendance saying "I wish she would just retire!"

From there it became getting pulled in several times a week over every little thing she could come up with. All the while her and her VM BFF walked around chit chatting and spying on my team and I or would be up in the office chit chatting over lunch and the STL would praise them for doing such good jobs! When she termed me I have never felt so hurt and unappreciated in my life, and to do it right before the holidays? I used to be proud to say I worked for Target and I loved my job, now I wonder just WTF corporate is letting happen to so many of us "veterans"

The new brand of leadership seems to encourage abusive behavior towards anyone they decide is not a team-player.
We just lost a long-time TL who walked in on one of their TMs getting reamed by the new ETL, really personal & nasty remarks.
When they asked them what was going on, THEY became the fresh kill but they went on the offensive.
They knew it was going to keep happening over & over so they walked.

The new brand of leadership seems to encourage abusive behavior towards anyone they decide is not a team-player.
We just lost a long-time TL who walked in on one of their TMs getting reamed by the new ETL, really personal & nasty remarks.
When they asked them what was going on, THEY became the fresh kill but they went on the offensive.

This is the company culture at Target. It’s the blame game, disguised as the word accountability. It’s the inability to problem solve or recognize problems, and covering your own hide until you can get to your next role, and this is true up to the regional leadership levels (and perhaps beyond).

This is a cultural issue within the company and has been in the works for 20 years. What is happening now is a complete disconnect from reality (and it appears to me like many upper field leaders are burying their heads in the sand) as a defense mechanism to the state of the company. Stores are becoming Walmart (or more accurately Walmart from 5-10 years ago) and they don’t seem to understand that it’s occuring. Payroll continues to get worse, stores continue to adopt methods to hide issues, and it’s constant chaos in our supply chain now, yet they still talk about expectations that were only achieved in the late 90s for Target.

Brian’s strategy seems to be making it appear that stores are modernizing without actually doing anything to make it happen. Target cannot maintain steady profits and adapt stores correctly to the way of the future, so it has to be the appearance of modernization without actually doing what is required. Trucks of the future? Nah, too expensive, let’s “super sort” so it looks like we fixed our trucks out there.

Our store burns through STLs. We've had like four of them in the last three years. That's one thing I dislike about Target. Seems like all of them just view the job as a stepping stone to a higher position in another region. Hell, one of them even said it before (I overheard him). So how am I supposed to respect you when you don't even respect the job?

I've been incredibly lucky, though. I walk around my store in a foul mood and no one bats an eyelash at me. I'm pretty nice to the guests, but I'm barely on speaking terms with the TLs outside of my department.

That's why, even though things suck right now, I'm so reluctant to quit. I exist in this strange middle ground where no one really depends on me (don't even carry a walkie on most days), but I'm not really disposable because I'm a fast worker and I rarely call off. This might be the best approach if you want to avoid conflicts. Stick to one area, do your best, and keep your head low.

I see the people who jump between 20 jobs getting in the most trouble. Seems like the more you do the more they expect from you.

Part of the reason why I quit. When I first started and the first 2-3 years of being at Target, I never saw team members being nasty to each other or being nasty to me. Now everyone is nasty. Even a simple question or asking to repeat a question because the person talked too fast makes you look like a fool so you should be shut down with yelling makes now sense to me. I never seen it this bad before and with how the store just looks miserable every day is not helping.

They should reconfigure the move app. So much pressure to clear it but batches keep dropping. Why not just go back to hourly cafs? Also, what a waste of payroll it is to sort this shit from the DC. Seriously 2500 cartons and repacks of pure shit that just sits in the backroom.

Since ePick has it's own app now, it'd be nice if they separated the different types of pulls in Move. I don't need to see POG or OOS batches when I'm only working on autofills.
I also don’t like scrolling through all the batches looking for my EXF batch or POG batch.

Then do what I did. Bite the bullet and leave. Use the 401 k ti live on while job hunting. Do your resume and put the focus on what you did for target. Other companies know Target has serious problems and will want you. Stop fighting the stress.

Simply go and say 'if you truly think I'm your problem then I'll solve it." Don't let them fire you and don't use unemployment. If you have been there for a decade you must have a 401k, use that. Do a disbursement now. Then go.
Then do what I did. Bite the bullet and leave. Use the 401 k ti live on while job hunting. Do your resume and put the focus on what you did for target. Other companies know Target has serious problems and will want you. Stop fighting the stress.

Simply go and say 'if you truly think I'm your problem then I'll solve it." Don't let them fire you and don't use unemployment. If you have been there for a decade you must have a 401k, use that. Do a disbursement now. Then go.
Something's in life are not that easy. I cannot quit a job without having something comparable lined up. Maybe I'm old school, but that's the way it is. At least being fired, I have options, cobra, job assistance, money coming in while I continue to search, All the places I've interviewed at and or had offers from laughed when I talked pay, also a lot of places wanted to hire me as a temp seasonal, part time, no insurance, what if they didn't keep me? There is too much risk-Target pays me well and I have insurance, I'm not just looking out for myself I have a family. If it was just me it would be different.

They should reconfigure the move app. So much pressure to clear it but batches keep dropping. Why not just go back to hourly cafs? Also, what a waste of payroll it is to sort this shit from the DC. Seriously 2500 cartons and repacks of pure shit that just sits in the backroom.

The entire thing is incredibly inefficient. The DCs have two major problems. The first is obviously their daily operations and how this freight makes it to the store. This is why we are "super sorting" our trucks, to make it look like this operation has improved when it has yet to change for decades. The second is the long-term freight strategy for buildings. As sales increase, the DC shuts off the "just in time" freight method COMPLETELY. We aren't talking about them maybe sending something a few days to a week early, they are sending things a month or more in advance at many stores. How much wrapping paper did stores receive in the last week or two? How much grocery freight were stores receiving in early October? It all went into our backrooms, and sat for weeks. Then in peak weeks for sales in those departments (Thanksgiving week for food as an example) we barely received any new food freight, because our backroom was sitting on a month's worth of sales (this is not an exaggeration).

The DC operations in those two categories are killing the supply chain for stores. Then these other operations are getting designed under the assumption that freight is arriving in the building at the time sales take place. For example, October is not a food sales month, yet they are receiving enough freight to last them through the end of November. They are not receiving the payroll to survive that in October, so sink. The areas that are making sales that month are having to give up their hours to help out the other areas. Then each month changes categories and the process continues.

The entire thing is incredibly inefficient. The DCs have two major problems. The first is obviously their daily operations and how this freight makes it to the store. This is why we are "super sorting" our trucks, to make it look like this operation has improved when it has yet to change for decades. The second is the long-term freight strategy for buildings. As sales increase, the DC shuts off the "just in time" freight method COMPLETELY. We aren't talking about them maybe sending something a few days to a week early, they are sending things a month or more in advance at many stores. How much wrapping paper did stores receive in the last week or two? How much grocery freight were stores receiving in early October? It all went into our backrooms, and sat for weeks. Then in peak weeks for sales in those departments (Thanksgiving week for food as an example) we barely received any new food freight, because our backroom was sitting on a month's worth of sales (this is not an exaggeration).

The DC operations in those two categories are killing the supply chain for stores. Then these other operations are getting designed under the assumption that freight is arriving in the building at the time sales take place. For example, October is not a food sales month, yet they are receiving enough freight to last them through the end of November. They are not receiving the payroll to survive that in October, so sink. The areas that are making sales that month are having to give up their hours to help out the other areas. Then each month changes categories and the process continues.
Nailed it again

Something's in life are not that easy. I cannot quit a job without having something comparable lined up. Maybe I'm old school, but that's the way it is. At least being fired, I have options, cobra, job assistance, money coming in while I continue to search, All the places I've interviewed at and or had offers from laughed when I talked pay, also a lot of places wanted to hire me as a temp seasonal, part time, no insurance, what if they didn't keep me? There is too much risk-Target pays me well and I have insurance, I'm not just looking out for myself I have a family. If it was just me it would be different.

Is what I did, I hung on until they let me go. My husband is on disability and is on my insurance. We both have health issues that we relied heavily on our insurance for, hoping I can afford to get COBRA and my unemployment gets approved. You can't cash out your pension or 401k until after 30 days from separating from the company. So it's a waiting game now for $$$ and a gamble for insurance. Sucks that it comes down to this when you thought you'd be with the company until retirement and all of a sudden you find yourself sinking fast :( It was very hard for me to hang on towards the end without just walking out but like you said it's not just me it's my husband also so I hung on until I was "disposed of"

Have you read my post called hostile workplace?

Is what I did, I hung on until they let me go. My husband is on disability and is on my insurance. We both have health issues that we relied heavily on our insurance for, hoping I can afford to get COBRA and my unemployment gets approved. You can't cash out your pension or 401k until after 30 days from separating from the company. So it's a waiting game now for $$$ and a gamble for insurance. Sucks that it comes down to this when you thought you'd be with the company until retirement and all of a sudden you find yourself sinking fast :( It was very hard for me to hang on towards the end without just walking out but like you said it's not just me it's my husband also so I hung on until I was "disposed of"
This all of this!!!!!!!! Hanging on seems the only reasonable thing to do. I understand and it's heartbreaking.

Back