MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
At my store, believe it or not, a dedicated person from the plano team would set the softlines department, racks and all, up until several years ago! I remember our leads getting zero training for doing it, and everything looking like hell for a long time.
Yes--at my store, we (POG team) handled most SL sets until about a yearish ago. I loved doing it, I was damn good at it, and I was seriously bummed when they end-to-ended that away from us.

Price change is the special hell of being boring, but also incredibly stressful because no one understands how long it can take, and what the workload involves... and now instead of JUST doing price changes, you also have to set your POGs/VMGs, work all your freight, walk all your guests to the fitting room and write their names on a damn mirror, do all your backstock… and no one helps you, because our DTL believes in "zone area ownership instead of teamwork" (literally a quote.)
So, some weeks one TM will be buried into what's likely 100+ hours of workload or more, while the others superzone the jeans and chit chat.
And 20 of those 100+ hours of workload get siphoned off back up cashiering.

The thing about price change that only those who've done it understand is that each DPCI can be a single item or 300+ pieces scattered around the entire physical store - on the floor and in multiple backstock places. When your lead asks "So, how long do you think it'll take to get through that 1123 Intimates/Hosiery/Sleep price change?" You change the view to Dept and show him that it's actually 1705 DPCI's and you remind him of the many hours you and your coworkers spent backstocking all those socks and tights in December when the hours were plentiful. The only answer to the "How long will it take?" question that's truthful is, "I don't know." It's the same answer for "Where will it all go on the floor?"

well this lady was upset on target community Facebook page .. wow no pictures with team members ??

Screen-Shot-2019-02-12-at-3-42-18-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-02-12-at-3-42-32-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-02-12-at-3-42-45-PM.png

Worst part is all that’s going to happen is an STL is going to get bitched at, who’s going to bitch to his ETLs, who will then do the same to the TLs...

This. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "accountability" since last April, I could take a decent vacation, if not a wee paid LoA (especially if I added dollars for every time a guest let me have it for the fact we were short-staffed up front). Yet, the people who came up with this brilliant idea don't want to be held accountable for the fact it does not work.

well this lady was upset on target community Facebook page .. wow no pictures with team members ??

Well damn I have to say that at least the first pic she has a point, those chep pallets are completely wrong and shouldn’t be parked in the fucking main aisle like that. The rest of the pics, they can’t say shit because the stuff is mostly on uboats like they wanted.

Patent Target response as to wanting to know the store location. Ummm, it is every location that is doing modernization. How about, we thank you for contacting us and we will let corporate know their direction is not pleasing their guests.

Been on Modernization Since last Spring. Today I got an email saying we are going back to calling Leaders, Executive Team Lead (ETL) and Leads, Team leads again. All other titles remain the same, including Store Director. I'm sure it was already mentioned but I thought it was amusing.

Okay, so I’m working at a low volume store & we are about to enter modernization next month. I am “captain” for electronics so what will happen to me? I’m getting mixed response from my leaders. Some are saying I will get a raise & be equivalent to GSA with a “lead” job title but some are saying that’s untrue. Can anyone confirm what’s happening with me?

Okay, so I’m working at a low volume store & we are about to enter modernization next month. I am “captain” for electronics so what will happen to me? I’m getting mixed response from my leaders. Some are saying I will get a raise & be equivalent to GSA with a “lead” job title but some are saying that’s untrue. Can anyone confirm what’s happening with me?
Gsa don’t get an increase anymore. They make the same as a cashier.

How do you all deal with the towering uboats during unload? They are designed for what 40 boxes max? You get a big truck and run out of the proper uboats. The execs and everyone is shitting themselves saying "how bad" the sort and stock is. Umm no we do not have enough equipment to accomodate a 2500 piece trailer. Dumbasses. Do not even get me started on the cluster fuck of transition they send.

How do you all deal with the towering uboats during unload? They are designed for what 40 boxes max? You get a big truck and run out of the proper uboats. The execs and everyone is shitting themselves saying "how bad" the sort and stock is. Umm no we do not have enough equipment to accomodate a 2500 piece trailer. Dumbasses. Do not even get me started on the cluster fuck of transition they send.

Some of the truck unload team pushes. Take u-boat, replace it with empty one, push product, swap for one that now has product on it, etc, until the unload is done.

Like the other person said, you have a few TMs pushing uboats and swap them around as you empty them. That’s why the custom block papers are supposed to be removable

Doesn't work. We start our unload 2 hours before anyone arrives to push anything, and we don't have enough U-boats to get through those 2 hours without having to move to pallets or other vehicles. We could order more U-boats.. but there's no room for them. No room for the ones we fill, no room for the empty ones. This is with maxing each U-boat out with as much freight as we can. It just doesn't work.

In addition to that, we have no choice but to break the rule is that no U-boats can be on the floor unless someone is pushing them because we simply don't have enough room for all the full U-boats during the unload, or even after. It's a clusterfuck. Even when TMs arrive to push the U-boats, they only manage to bring them back just as we're done unloading the truck.

Tried getting TMs to come in earlier, but DTL and STL shot that down. We can no longer stage pallets off the truck on the salesfloor either, so we block the other bay with them and develop a long line of angry vendors. Our trucks are too large and our unload area is too small to work with this process. We only have 2 bays for unload, and it's impossible to keep the 2nd clear while we're unloading the first. Our STL does sympathize with us, but she has no choice but to comply with the DTL's orders. ETL does what she can, which helps us stay afloat, but this new process is clearly not a "one size fits all" -- yet we can't make changes to suit our store layout/size/freight/workforce.
Then you’re unloading too fast. Break of of theirs TMs off to push? Even out your unload to push ratio. It’s not a broken system it’s a brokenprocess at your store. Not every issue has an obvious solution, but u loading too fast is a pretty easy one.

Some of the truck unload team pushes. Take u-boat, replace it with empty one, push product, swap for one that now has product on it, etc, until the unload is done.
Correct, if you are lucky enough to have this. Lately my TL has had to be part of the whole pushing the line aspect because like today we only have 4 sorters scheduled. My STL considers them to be part of the actual sort because payroll is so shit. So when the next group of people come in a half hour after the beginning of the sort you need to take one if not two to get the line going and actually be efficient, or spend your whole shift sorting and work one uboat before you are cut. Then people bitch that the sort looks like shit and that the TL needs to be doing more to make sure the sort is precise. Then bitch that trailers aren't getting finished because no pp1 has been touched until the truck is unloaded because you had to rob Peter to pay Paul. Uboats are on the sales floor because there is no room by the line, trash, the list goes on and on....

Back