MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sorry, I'm up way, way late and I left out an important word. Single working moms is what I meant to say. With the new lack of hours I can't imagine any of them will be able or want to keep working here. Most of the ones at my store have been looking for other jobs
Gotcha. Well I know of a few single ones that are looking for jobs only because my store did this thing of hiring DBOs instead of moving around people from the teams they were phasing out. We’ve been doing a half ass modernization for almost 10 months now.

They would need a doctor's excuse to why they can't use ladders based on a medical condition. Saying I can't or won't is not acceptable as a reason.
What's crazy is, at my new FT job yesterday we had my safety orientation and the manager was very adamant about how no one should do anything they're not comfortable with safety-wise, including lifting certain weights, ladders, powered equipment... and it was just such a different and refreshing change from the reality of my years at Spot I actually thanked them, lol. It's crazy that such a big company gets away with such shady practices. Basically everyone who works here has a story about being forced to do something they don't feel safe doing or being set up so doing the unsafe thing is the only option you have to do your job.

Gotcha. Well I know of a few single ones that are looking for jobs only because my store did this thing of hiring DBOs instead of moving around people from the teams they were phasing out. We’ve been doing a half ass modernization for almost 10 months now.

It's been kinda like that here. It started with no carts, then they dicked around with where certain repacks could be unloaded, then all softlines breakout/sort/etc were done in the back room. Then the softlines team was cut in half (and one quit when the start time changed) and they didn't push softlines anymore. Stuff that used to be done by the same people now requires 3-4 additional people.

They keep adding stuff, bit by bit, and it keeps making everything worse.

Not to mention that hiring new people thing. I'm seeing a LOT of new faces when the long-timers would do just fine.

this is a waste of my time so i’m gonna stop replying, i just feel like you really NEED to be right so i’m gonna let you have it

GSA is elimated company wide. We just got out of our leadership meeting yesterday. The new roles are not in effect for us until like May, latest June. Our STL is aiming to haveit roll out by May. So until we get closer to that date I don’t think actual TMs will be briefed just yet. There’s a date in the guide that specifically tells you when Normal TMs will be briefed. Think it’s later in April

Gsa is going away , all cashier will be able to override , and all cashiers will learn how to close /open registers , sd and cash office.
I can see the nightmares this will create already. We have too many cashiers that need help just processing a rebate check or multiple coupons. There is no way I would trust them opening or closing registers. But I’m not in charge so I’ll just keep hanging out at SCO and watch the drama unfold.

I can see the nightmares this will create already. We have too many cashiers that need help just processing a rebate check or multiple coupons. There is no way I would trust them opening or closing registers. But I’m not in charge so I’ll just keep hanging out at SCO and watch the drama unfold.
If they can’t keep up with the changes then they’ll be performanced out

I’ve worked at Target for quite some time regularly follow this blog to say that this past year I’ve notice a wide divide between ETL/TL’s and TM’s attitudes. It wasn’t always like that. The later are treated by the former as if they don’t need to know what they know as if it is proprietary safe-keeping only to them. And it is not. The divide makes it hard to work as a team. And close to that said, I refuse to sit with ETL/TL’s in the break room when TM’s are also taking a break. I’ll go sit with them. Owning an ETL/TL position and being part of the team is something sorely lost as of late. I think that will destroy working in a fun and vibrant environment that in effect is transferred to our guest. The unseen effect of the so-called modernization that has been going on longer than just recently is poison.

Gsa is going away , all cashier will be able to override , and all cashiers will learn how to close /open registers , sd and cash office.
Yes, I’m aware. This place aside, leadership informed me yesterday since as a current GSA, it affects me directly. My question had to do with staffing levels, since they’re practically nonexistent, and with what the hours piece will look like.

To answer the question re: candy/Bullseye: at our store cashiers will still do candy for now, but not Bullseye. Think this is a case of ASANTS.

Man, this is a really bad idea...

They're going to end up with college students and working moms.

None of whom are known to stay long at jobs with shit hours

I would say the close-to-retired or older folks wanting something to do, but from what I've read here, Target would rather not employ people of a certain age.
I’m a working mom who has been at my store over 4 years.

Any reason they moved you out of Food Service? They have someone in mind to take over for you, or does your store lose that position?
During yesterdays announcement, all of our TLs got shuffled around and our food TL position got split into market and food service. We are going to use the food service TL role to develop a TM who has great potential. STL also said I was the strongest LOD we had at the store, so he wanted me as closing LOD.

It's really tough to generalize based on people's other life circumstances what they want out of a job. It varies.

If Target is willing to pay people $15/hr, give them fulltime hours and benefits, then Target will be able to find people who can make modernization work. Eventually. It will take a long time for some stores and be difficult because many current TMs aren't up to it and the labor market is tight at the moment. But, it's possible in the long term.

If Target is unwilling to give the hours and benefits, it's not going to work. They'll just end up with people who are always on the lookout for a better job because they need hours and benefits and people who due to other circumstances don't really need Target. It will be difficult to get the necessary buy-in to the new process. Even if people can be found who can handle it, there will be tons of retention problems and subsequent difficulty finding new people who can handle everything.

It's really tough to generalize based on people's other life circumstances what they want out of a job. It varies.

If Target is willing to pay people $15/hr, give them fulltime hours and benefits, then Target will be able to find people who can make modernization work. Eventually. It will take a long time for some stores and be difficult because many current TMs aren't up to it and the labor market is tight at the moment. But, it's possible in the long term.

If Target is unwilling to give the hours and benefits, it's not going to work. They'll just end up with people who are always on the lookout for a better job because they need hours and benefits and people who due to other circumstances don't really need Target. It will be difficult to get the necessary buy-in to the new process. Even if people can be found who can handle it, there will be tons of retention problems and subsequent difficulty finding new people who can handle everything.

I wouldn't mind staying w Target if they paid the $15 and got a full 40 a week YEAR-ROUND. As it is now I'm getting 4 a week, random days and times. Makes job hunting impossible.

My state has a minimum wage that will soon be $15 an hour. I'll be interesting to see what Target pays then. No one will want to be a business owner when they can be a dishwasher for the same pay. As it is now you can walk into McDonald's next door to my store and get $12.75, the same as our store's starting pay.

Exactly. Why would I want to be a DBO at Target, when I can have the same amount of responsibility elsewhere with a guaranteed 40hrs a week and benefits? The people who don’t need that many hours and want to work less than 20hrs a week don’t want the stress/responsibility being a DBO requires.

And this is the most frustrating part, because if we point this out it’s considered being against the process as a whole, when we’re actually just against the way Target is going about it

I've been with Target multiple times in the past 17 years. When I first started I was getting 50-60 hours a week. Then it dropped to a consistent 40. Now it was hovering about 28-32 with a sudden drop to 4 with no increase in sight. In the past ETLs and STLs wouldn't ever say you're going to slow unless it was privately to a sesasonal TM who truly was going too slow. Now it's a frequent group ridicules oh how we need to work faster, pick up the pace, work smarter, etc. I know it's just being fed down to them from someone higher up (DTL who wants their bonus) but it's a team and morale killer. Can't tell you how frustrated it's becoming to have the STL tell us we aren't getting the truck done fast enough when we're under staffed every day. I think half our team is going to quit due to reduction in hours and loss of benefits while the other half will quit as theybare getting sick of the working conditions.

I wouldn't mind staying w Target if they paid the $15 and got a full 40 a week YEAR-ROUND. As it is now I'm getting 4 a week, random days and times. Makes job hunting impossible.

My state has a minimum wage that will soon be $15 an hour. I'll be interesting to see what Target pays then. No one will want to be a business owner when they can be a dishwasher for the same pay. As it is now you can walk into McDonald's next door to my store and get $12.75, the same as our store's starting pay.

Right. But do you want to work fast food? Do you really want to be a dishwasher? Being a DBO sounds so much more appealing IMO.

Right. But do you want to work fast food? Do you really want to be a dishwasher? Being a DBO sounds so much more appealing IMO.

Whichever job is less stressful and makes the time go faster I'd take. If washing dishes in the back of a restaurant provides a year round 40 hours, overtime, free food, helpful managers who set realistic expectations and provide tools to meet those goals I'd gladly take it even though it's washing dishes.

Maybe. It would depend a lot of what section you are DBO of and how supportive your leadership is. Let's say you are DBO of toys. That shouldn't be too bad this time of year. Your freight and pulls are manageable. Your biggest headaches are maintaining your zone and keeping counts accurate. As long as you have time every couple of days to get to it, and you should, that's all doable.

Flash forward to Q4. Your frieght and pulls are massive. A bunch of seasonals are hired to help you. But, most of them are warm bodies who have no idea what they are doing no matter how many times you explain it to them. Your backroom area is overflowing with crap you don't have time or space to backstock. You're being screamed at every hour because your reshop bin is full again. Your zone looks like the inside of a hoarder's house. Flex is complaining to leaders that they can't find anything in your section. And, half your time is taken up answering guest questions. Oh, who is that you spot walking down the racetrack towards your section? Why it's DTL and HRBP in for a surprise visit.

If you have supportive leadership who will help you try to figure how how to make it work, then maybe being DBO won't be that bad and you can survive the nightmare for a couple of months. If your leadership is more the "Figure it out!" type, then 40 hours a week of "Do you want fries with that?" for the same pay, suddenly sounds more appealling.

Back