MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hours are going to be on the low side until Summer, even then they'll only really jump up when back to school starts. This is nothing new with Spot, and has nothing to do with modernization.

If you are one of the Team Members who excel in their work center and normally get high hours, I wouldn't worry about your hours getting cut unless you are refusing the new guidelines.

Granted, this is only my 2nd Q1 with Target, and I've only worked at one store, but something feels different. Last year at this time, hours were tight but they made sure to spend on getting the truck done. Even if that looked like 2 of the 10 people who push areas stay behind and finish other areas, the work was getting done and a couple of TMs were getting the hours to do it.

But this year, no one on that team is getting anything beyond what they're scheduled and the work isn't getting done unless they have other departments or TLs do it. So while the drop in hours is normal, the severity of it and the effect it's having on the store is very different this year.

It is new, and it does have to do with Modernization. Hours have never been this bad in March and April. They have always tanked between January and February, but they've always rebounded by now -- they aren't.
Okay - Maybe I'm wrong, I'd be willing to accept that, as I'm basing my opinion off of anecdotal evidence.

However, I will say that looking at schedules and grids at my store, I see nothing that would scream to me "holy shit nobody has any hours". I see the people with low availability having next to nothing, and those with open availability getting close to 30. The only people with 4 hours are those who can only work like 2 or 3 days, which has always been the case.

I would love to look at a side by side of Late Q1 Early Q2 last year and now (Easter timing), just for my own education.

I’ve worked at Target for quite some time regularly follow this blog to say that this past year I’ve notice a wide divide between ETL/TL’s and TM’s attitudes. It wasn’t always like that. The later are treated by the former as if they don’t need to know what they know as if it is proprietary safe-keeping only to them. And it is not. The divide makes it hard to work as a team. And close to that said, I refuse to sit with ETL/TL’s in the break room when TM’s are also taking a break. I’ll go sit with them. Owning an ETL/TL position and being part of the team is something sorely lost as of late. I think that will destroy working in a fun and vibrant environment that in effect is transferred to our guest. The unseen effect of the so-called modernization that has been going on longer than just recently is poison.
Love this! Some of the ETLs at my store disagree with how open I am with my team as a TL. But as I learned from my own former TL it makes for a better relationship and therefore a more efficient motivated team. I'm blunt and honest with both praise and critiques. They know I'm up front about what I expect them to get done and I work right there with them usually picking the hardest or most tedious jobs for myself. When I know something I tell them. They are one of the most efficient and hard working teams because of it. They all know that if their work or attendance is off I'm not going to just let it slide, I'm going to call them on it. I try to be empathetic but they know I won't be walked over. There is a serious disconnect in my store between TMs and the ETL level. I try to close that with honesty whether its good or bad.

Edited lost to *most

I got a question but I guess I can ask my store director later but could not get it clarified in our meeting today. I’m currently a hardlines TL who oversees Electronics and two other areas. In the new op model I will become one of the GM TLs but when I looked at the reporting it said that Tech reports directly to ETL Specialty Sales. Does this mean GM will not oversee electronics at all?
Yes. From what we were told at our meeting tech is now specialty sales and no longer under GM

Since it’s after the meetings, does anyone have more details on the responsibilities of the closing expert role?

Since it’s after the meetings, does anyone have more details on the responsibilities of the closing expert role?
What I’ve been told is these roles will be filled by your stores usual closers. Closing hours will be shrinking though, as the new process is supposed to result in zones being in much better shape going into the evening. So if you’re closing lead, you’ll want to start thinking about who you want on your team.

With electronics, food, beauty, and style having open to close coverage, the closing team will primarily be taking care of hardlines.

I saw that in the leaked photos of the guide, the dotted boxes are positions that may be possible based on sales/attributes. Are there specific sales numbers that have to be reached in order to get an extra TL? More specifically, my store does between $30-32 million in yearly sales and has two GSTL's. With the new Op Model is there any chance on a 3rd S&E TL position opening up and me moving from GSA to S&E TL? I can't afford a decrease in hours and I'm not too excited about my position being eliminated and going down to "Guest Advocate".

Front end is not to do bullseye or candy/endcaps. This is a firm directive from the new op model. It’ll be a part of PP1/2.

Our plan is open to close SCO coverage, with our former GSAs initially taking those shifts, so they can handle blinkers and other stuff. Plus I thought when they change the way the front end is opened and closed, it was the person at SCO doing the stuff that would be done by the GSA.

I saw that in the leaked photos of the guide, the dotted boxes are positions that may be possible based on sales/attributes. Are there specific sales numbers that have to be reached in order to get an extra TL? More specifically, my store does between $30-32 million in yearly sales and has two GSTL's. With the new Op Model is there any chance on a 3rd S&E TL position opening up and me moving from GSA to S&E TL? I can't afford a decrease in hours and I'm not too excited about my position being eliminated and going down to "Guest Advocate".
If the base is 30M to 72M (or whatever it is), and you gain TLs based on sales, then a rough estimate would be a 3rd GSTL around 45M and a 4th around 60M. If you're just barely meeting the sales for the lowest possible end for base stores, it's highly unlikely that you'll get a 3rd, unless your store has a weird setup that would require it, such as two floors or two separate exits. But if you had those attributes, you probably wouldn't only be doing 32M.

Overall the changes aren’t bad. I welcome them actually as it’ll allow us to perfect areas. The problem is payroll is disgusting right now. I know some are saying it’s always like this, but after 6 years I’ve never seen it this bad.

I know for a fact my flex Departament this year has the exact payroll that they had last year. Problem is we’re comping up over 130% in that department. So it’s ridiculous to do that. Every day is a struggle with Ship and OPU because we don’t have the man power. Corp just says figure it out to everything so there is no use complaining.

Other departments look like ghost towns.

Overall the changes aren’t bad. I welcome them actually as it’ll allow us to perfect areas. The problem is payroll is disgusting right now. I know some are saying it’s always like this, but after 6 years I’ve never seen it this bad.

I know for a fact my flex Departament this year has the exact payroll that they had last year. Problem is we’re comping up over 130% in that department. So it’s ridiculous to do that. Every day is a struggle with Ship and OPU because we don’t have the man power. Corp just says figure it out to everything so there is no use complaining.

Other departments look like ghost towns.
Are you getting added unique hours for it? I thought flex fulfillment relief was one of the categories, possibly added at the end of the month to offset any spending over plan hours on it (because it’s appropriate to overspend to meet demand)

In my store, a few months ago, all the uboats we're clean at 6am. Just had to get them lined up and by 630 the truck unload was underway. Recently however, and I'm not sure why, most of pp2 is still on the boats when we come in at 6. We spend a couple hours pushing and don't start the unload until 8. If it takes two hours it's 10 by that point and time for us to punch out. That leaves pp1 for dayside. No idea what's going on and I'm not sure if our leaders know either.

If your store is like my store, then I can explain as someone who is still around when the PP2 people are working.

It all starts with lack of hours for the front end. Everything up front is scheduled bare bones coverage. They really don't want to give any cashiers a shift over 5.5 hours either because they'd have to find meal coverage if they did. Cart attendants? Well, that's a nope except on weekends.

So when PP2 comes in to push the store is getting busy. It's not like guest traffic has suddenly died. We're meeting sales goals easily, but still no hours are being made available. The TMs scheduled to do PP2 are constantly having to do guests firsts, carryouts and everyone's favorite: cart parties.

It gets better. Because cashiers are being screwed with hours they have a general IDGAF attitude. Call outs are frequent. No one wants to come in either because they are all out looking for other jobs on their offdays. So, now the PP2 TMs aren't just being called for backup. They are having to provide complete coverage. Their push doesn't get done.

Now, we truly begin the vicious circle. Since you are having to finish off PP2, you don't get PP1 done before you leave. That means even less time for PP2 to get done. It backs up even more. There's also still a remnant of a backroom team who are busy pulling the daily cafs. Except, no one has time to actually push those cafs out. They just sit on vehicles in the back. As OPU I then spend half my day moving shit out of my way, which is fun I guess. Nope, I don't move stuff back because I don't have time for that, so that's more shit you'll have to move out of your way before starting to unload the trailer.

This will of course all get better when we're fully modernized because reasons.

Now that the time for our store's to begin modernization, I was wondering; how exactly does this affect Hardlines and Softlines?

I was under the impression softlines was already running on a mostly end-to-end process companywide, in which case, not much changes.

Hardlines will be completely different. I’m thinking we should start a thread that rather than speculating and complaining about modernization, explains the new processes. Basically, rather than workcenters that do a specific thing, they’ll own specific areas, and every aspect of them. The old way of of flow pushing hardlines truck, backroom pulling the hardlines CAFs, hardlines TMs pushing the CAFs, price change team doing price change, presentation doing the pog stuff goes away. Now, every person either owns a small section of the store, or they are the secondary owner of a small section of the store. Inbound will unload the truck and sort the product out, then the hardlines TM, now called General Meechandise Expert will push the stuff from the truck, backstock any backstock, pull their CAFs from the stockroom, push those CAFs, do their own price change, and take care of their own planogram revisions and endcap sets.

It sounds nuts, and it kind of is! But with this, gone are the days of separate teams making each other’s jobs more difficult. You don’t deal with anyone’s overpush but your own, no ones backstock but your own. During the day, you’ll zone things up as you push, and use the audit app to research any outs. You’ll do reshop, but just for your little section, so it won’t take long. Backup will be a thing, possibly overall, the level of backup needed is more. But everyone will be register trained and will be sharing the responsibility of backing up. Think about how many people don’t backup under the old way; backroom, presentation, flow, price change. Now everyone on the floor can and will be backing up. This can help in one of two ways: either a bunch of people backup at the same time and bust the lines very quickly, or fewer do, but there’s more people to take turns doing it. Either way, individuals spend less of their shift on a lane. You’ll work the same area every day, so you’ll have intimate knowledge of the product. Before long, you won’t scan most of your items with the zebra when you push because you’ll know where it goes. You’ll whip your area into shape and reap the benefits as the work gets easier. It’s actually really cool in theory. Just hope you get appropriate payroll.

Last edited:
Are you getting added unique hours for it? I thought flex fulfillment relief was one of the categories, possibly added at the end of the month to offset any spending over plan hours on it (because it’s appropriate to overspend to meet demand)

Yes and no on this from what I'm told. My store just has OPU. We are supposedly getting more hours added for it and it's under consideration to use those hours for double coverage at peak times. That's not happening yet though. I had a very open discussion about it with our closing LOD after the big meeting Monday.

Right now, I'm stretched extremely thin between 8-10am. I trypically have 100+ OPU items to pick then. I can make that work. But, barely. When, I'm off, other TMs aren't getting it done. I'm not sure why it's not getting done. I'm just told it's not. Any increase in order volume during that time will result in the store being screwed. I cannot handle more. Closing LOD told me to expect the extra hours to be thrown at making the new OPs model work for now.

I actually get that, if it works. If those hours mean that the store gets properly zoned and outs are audited, then I don't need the extra hours allocated to OPU for double coverage. I could do more if the store was in better shape and the counts were more accurate. But, if the hours aren't used for zoning and auditing, my metrics are fucked and the store's as well.

I find it easier to have multiple threads instead of using just one. For example, modernization effecting hardlines, softlines, scheduling, payroll, etc. If modernization is the way it is from here out having one huge thread is very inconvenient.
You need to read them to understand. Most questions were answer already. My question is o you, did you learn anything from your threads or search other threads?

Can confirm a few things after our meeting.

- Team members are not to get over 30 hours
- team members unwilling or able to do ladders learn opu work faster and harder etc are to be termed regardless of age or physical or mental disabilities
- team leads are eligible for “incentives” more info to come in june
- dcs will not be changed for the foreseeable future we are expected to “make it work or be termed”
My DM told me about the incentive today 😁

Back