MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think it's funny how the same people who scream that if you don't like Spot, you should leave come here even though they don't like it.
I have disliked work and liked work at target. Sometimes at the same time. In the end, even though I don't like the changes with modernization I can either come on here and vent,cross my fingers corporate reads it and says I'm right, than go back to work and try my best.... Or I can come on here vent, go back to work and be a shitty leader making everyone's life even harder and demand target change to my needs which I know will never happen. At the end of they day wether I hate it or not I'm payed for what ever hours I'm scheduled and I give them that many hours of solid work. Plus my pride would never let me just sit around at work doing nothing but complain. It's just as easy to bitch and moan like I do while doing an amazing job and keeping my teams spirits up beat as I can in this hard time. Life just like target you have choices. You either are content or or you change. Target decided to change, as for now I am content but with objections to certain things but they don't slow me down. If I only had 4 hours I would have been long gone though to anything else that gave hours including McDonald's.

As far as we've been told the cashiers roles change and it's them that will be trained in everything the gsa does now in addition to du & opu picks. There will be training.

Not the picking, just the getting the orders out to the guests once they are in the hold locations.

Good luck balancing availability for two jobs there champ.
I’m a Food TL and also a restaurant manager. Working two jobs is totally do-able. And for those who say it’s easier for TLs with a set schedule, I was hosting at a restaurant while i was a Perishables Assistant so it deff can be done!!

I’m a Food TL and also a restaurant manager. Working two jobs is totally do-able. And for those who say it’s easier for TLs with a set schedule, I was hosting at a restaurant while i was a Perishables Assistant so it deff can be done!!

This must be varying store to store, because I was told that my schedule would now be "based on daily guest needs" and that I have to be available to work whenever they feel like it, and even open to changing the schedule that's been posted if "something comes up."

Not sure exactly what kind of second job I can work in that situation, except for doing DoorDash or Uber on very, very off hours.

This must be varying store to store, because I was told that my schedule would now be "based on daily guest needs" and that I have to be available to work whenever they feel like it, and even open to changing the schedule that's been posted if "something comes up."

Not sure exactly what kind of second job I can work in that situation, except for doing DoorDash or Uber on very, very off hours.
I mean I think it varies by stores leaderships expectations of what TLs should be working for sure. But if you’re an F&BTL the bulk of your workload is in the morning. From sample scheduling expectations post on reddit from the stores mod guide, it seems that the only big change is two mid shifts a week.

I’m sure there will be special scheduling considerations during Q4 or other food centric holidays. But for the most part the food business needs leadership in the morning and then follow up throughout the evening i.e. by the Closing Lead.

So far with everything I’ve heard from 1:1s as well as from our TL meeting, the bulk of changes don’t really impact food. Remember the Grocery Ops Model rolled out 3-4 years ago for most stores and was essentially the “test” for ops model before the pilot. If the worst bullet I have to bite is two mid shifts a week and a closing weekend here and there, I’ll take it!!

(heres the OP reddit link for the scheduling guidelines)

I haven't seen our Food TL be out before 6pm in a long time. Our store is scheduling TLs based on some "peak hour" metric only, and not taking workload or TMs into consideration at all.
My personal schedule has been completely different, no rhyme or reason to me, for three weeks now. I was expecting terrible shifts, and it to follow that template, but it's just random, and I've had to quit a second job because of it. One that I desperately needed because Target's insurance doesn't pay for a needed medication anymore.

Between this and being in charge of securing the building on weekends with no training, I'm hoping to be able to get out as soon as possible.
No set schedule is kind of a deal breaker; I'm willing to be flexible during big sets, or holidays, but not for my schedule to be 100% random.

I left the company after 15+ years......was the best thing I could have done. Every district is different with the type of leadership they have. No one is safe at a store who has a district full of my way or the high way mentality. The things I saw and was told my last yr at Target were beyond stupid with different messages from different leaders about how to handle the same thing. One says do this then the other says that's dumb, do it my way. No one really cared it felt like about issues brought to their attention and on and on and on. Again, every district is different, even in my case every store in my district being given different communication for different processes. I like looking on this site to still be able to help others I may still be in contact with in stores but I am very glad that I personally got out.

I've been with Target on and off for the past 17 years. I would always get a consistent 30~ a week. January it dropped to 4 and hasn't come back up. Others on my team dropped from 40 to 12. They aren't getting hours either. I've always been told I'm one of the fastest stockers and unloaders we have and have never had anything bad said against me. I've called out once (family member in ER) and was always willing to pick up shifts. We all have been asking for hours and are told we aren't getting any more. If they would give more hours I'd gladly stay

You have been stating this repeatedly on several different threads. We are now just a few weeks out from Easter and hours should pick up a bit next week when we officially have access to April's hours. Hopefully you will see an increase to yours. If not, I think the writing is on the wall.

As much as you state you want to continue on at Spot, Spot has decided differently. Spot can and does seem to find hours for you if he wants to. I have limited availability, yet I have been averaging more hours than I did during 4th quarter.

So I'm fairly new to Target, only there 6 months but yesterday one of our front end TM's was "let go" and it wasn't because of corrective action or anything, this person was simply told she was no longer needed. The weird part about it is that this person was "let go" by someone we have never seen before, like a higher up person from corporate... this person was dressed way more formal than our HR people, ETL or TL's. Could this be the start of them weeding out certain employees because of modernization? And why was it done by someone higher up and not like the usual HR people?

That personally sounds like a deeper issue and has nothing to do with modernization. We fired a TM a while back due internal theft (myself and AP have been observing for awhile) when we finally built our case and termed him, then somehow people spread rumors that he was fired because of “modernization” 🙄
Not everyone knows what happens behind the scenes, especially TMs.

Last edited:
QUOTE="Mandy120, post: 509538, member: 24949"]
So I'm fairly new to Target, only there 6 months but yesterday one of our front end TM's was "let go" and it wasn't because of corrective action or anything, this person was simply told she was no longer needed. The weird part about it is that this person was "let go" by someone we have never seen before, like a higher up person from corporate... this person was dressed way more formal than our HR people, ETL or TL's. Could this be the start of them weeding out certain employees because of modernization? And why was it done by someone higher up and not like the usual HR people?
[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's related but I've seen people in red and khaki walking our store who definitely aren't part of our store's leadership. I know who the STLs are in our area and it wasn't any of them either. Maybe ETLs from another store or district people? Definitely got the impression that they were checking things out but didn't see them talking with TMs nor did they have anyone from our store with them as district people typically do when paying us a visit.

Front end won’t be taking over drive up. The whole point of this modernization is to be guest centric. They wouldn’t take away pushing candy and then add fulfillment? That would be insane and isn’t mentioned anywhere in the role out. Any store doing this is doing it on their own plan, not HQs

I agree. From what I remember from my packet is that GM3, in my stores (30mil bracket) owns fulfillment. Which is ent,toys,etc and fulfillment experts. I don’t get how FOS could be responsible for leaving the front to pull a pick and then bring it back up front to bag and locate.

Spot is incredibly careful about letting people go. Maybe the tm was seasonal? Or there was theft as MajorChomp mentioned. But I can guarantee they were let go for a well documented reason cuz nobody gets unemployment 'round these parts!

I didn't work Monday or Tuesday, but when I went in on Wednesday, neither my GSTL nor any of the GSAs I spoke with knew any more about modernization than they did before (which is to say, they have heard nothing from official sources). Apparently, the executives are keeping it close to the vest for now.

I didn't work Monday or Tuesday, but when I went in on Wednesday, neither my GSTL nor any of the GSAs I spoke with knew any more about modernization than they did before (which is to say, they have heard nothing from official sources). Apparently, the executives are keeping it close to the vest for now.

Both my TL and ETL say "we aren't sure, we'll see, lots of things are changing." You can tell it's fake and they know more then they are saying. I'm not sure the reason for their evasiveness.

Target brands opalhouse, made by design, market pantry, joy lab and many more. Brands are a huge loyalty driver. But yes also what you said like err my geeerd this shirt would look so great with those universal thread jeans or likehave you ever tried or market pantry pizza wow it's so amazing lol. Knowing what things are, where they are and how they work or used for.

That’s a sales job and I’m sorry but TMs aren’t paid enough for that.

Both my TL and ETL say "we aren't sure, we'll see, lots of things are changing." You can tell it's fake and they know more then they are saying. I'm not sure the reason for their evasiveness.
Because there needs to be 1-on-1 conversations (during reviews) with highly impacted team members & team leaders before anyone can release information. Some positions nothing changes, others are going away, and others are going to have to change work centers or even stores. Of course this all highly depends on the store itself, volume, area, current headcount, etc.

The meeting on Monday with the TLs told us absolutely nothing, at least at my store.
We went over some very basic information about schedules, title changes, and they hyped up how this needs to happen so Target doesn't go out of business and demanded we're positive about it or else. Everything else was "to come later."

Except... they also started scheduling TMs in designated hours, eliminated the backroom/flow team, on the same day, and didn't tell ANYONE about it beforehand.
Without what I've read online, I'd have been absolutely lost on how to lead the team.

So, kind of a big failure of communication, imo.

I thought the schedule being written is the one that has all the big changes in work centers etc.?
No it’s just public information now. Stores don’t have to be fully functional and at head count until September with most stores starting in May as the April LOD schedule is already written. There is no official date you have to start but expectation is TMs get all the information during or around review time. My time also won’t correspond to the new roles and names until June

Not sure I'd assume 1 on 1s have to happen before anything
While of course ASANTS, my HRBP reiterated this multiple times during our meeting that no information on changes can be relayed before having ETL/TL reviews completed (where leads will learn 100% of the changes) and then giving out TM reviews to relay that information to them.

The meeting on Monday with the TLs told us absolutely nothing, at least at my store.
We went over some very basic information about schedules, title changes, and they hyped up how this needs to happen so Target doesn't go out of business and demanded we're positive about it or else. Everything else was "to come later."

Except... they also started scheduling TMs in designated hours, eliminated the backroom/flow team, on the same day, and didn't tell ANYONE about it beforehand.
Without what I've read online, I'd have been absolutely lost on how to lead the team.

So, kind of a big failure of communication, imo.

Did they explain who would be unloading the truck? I've been on flow on and off for years and have never worked anywhere else. This upcoming week they have me scheduled for flexible fulfillment. I asked my TL about who, specifically who would unload the truck, and she had no idea why they scheduled me there. Told me just to come in and do the truck like I always do. Eliminating flow or even reducing our hours is something I will never understand.

While of course ASANTS, my HRBP reiterated this multiple times during our meeting that no information on changes can be relayed before having ETL/TL reviews completed (where leads will learn 100% of the changes) and then giving out TM reviews to relay that information to them.

I ask my TL about changes I see on here. Their response is always that they don't know. They are either being told not to discuss it or they truly do not know. Both are a little concerning to me.

Back