MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Our store just rolls the truck over, and fills the BR up with product, which (at the time) would also spill out onto the salesfloor and into the fire aisle.

Good times. Wonder how it will be this year?

:rhetorical question:

*everyone* but corporate knows how this will go.....
Ours actually spilled out of the Receiver's door to behind the store. Pallets of water outside overnight. At least they brought in the large screen TVs at night.

But there is no more "pog team". Since last year they've become dbo of their own depts or left Target. At least at my store a former pog member might help a day or so but remember they still have to work their freight and all else in their own area. Like today's non truck day no one set any otc pogs. There's even sections that are empty because things moving from one aisle to another. So they will sit empty over the weekend no doubt losing sales. Ansts but that's how it is at mine.
Your store should be recreating a transition team now that it doesn’t go away. We don’t have a dept. On light weeks we may fill in for peoples days off or do sfs.

Remember your pushers aren't just flow anymore

Yet they're still ignoring walkie and phone calls, backing up at the lanes, and I see several still going around with earbuds in...even when the store is open. The last two days several got called out on it. Did it change anything? Nope. The usual "dayside" hardlines and softlines TMs are still running around even though there's more people on the floor.

Guests are still having to chase us down in other areas...for instance, I was in H&B practically ALL day and I still had guests needing help in seasonal and middle.

I have yet to have consistent shifts in one area, too. Sigh.

Yet they're still ignoring walkie and phone calls, backing up at the lanes, and I see several still going around with earbuds in...even when the store is open. The last two days several got called out on it. Did it change anything? Nope. The usual "dayside" hardlines and softlines TMs are still running around even though there's more people on the floor.

Guests are still having to chase us down in other areas...for instance, I was in H&B practically ALL day and I still had guests needing help in seasonal and middle.

They called for backup at the front end about a week ago. I knew there were people closer so didn't respond first. They called again. I answered. On my way up, I go by kitchen and stationery. I pass at least 3 tms, a tl, and an ETL, all pushing truck.

I'm not saying it's at every store. But at my store, inbound tms and anyone working truck aren't answering any calls or backing up lanes.

They called for backup at the front end about a week ago. I knew there were people closer so didn't respond first. They called again. I answered. On my way up, I go by kitchen and stationery. I pass at least 3 tms, a tl, and an ETL, all pushing truck.

I'm not saying it's at every store. But at my store, inbound tms and anyone working truck aren't answering any calls or backing up lanes.
Might be because they are being threatened if they do not finish pushing the truck. It is a double edged sword. Help guests or finish freight amid threats of being fired.

Our inbound team is not cashier trained. I don't think there's ever been a plan to train us on it either. Our shifts are four hours. We unload the truck and push what we can until we hit 4 hours, then are sent home. The other day we came in to finish the previous day's push before starting the truck. Once we finished unloading we took our 15 then went home. Didn't touch a pp1 box the whole day.

Have they been trained to use (and listen for) the walkie or the phones? Have they been trained as cashiers? There is a learning curve here just as there is for salesfloor tms to learn how to pull, backstock, set POGs, use the WAVE, etc. If they are trained, then coaching/retraining is appropriate. If they are not trained, they should be.

Might be because they are being threatened if they do not finish pushing the truck. It is a double edged sword. Help guests or finish freight amid threats of being fired.
This is true. It also could be that a lot of flow team members now are business owners and many have no social skills and don't want to cashier. Thus why they applied for flow lol. The ETL or TL probably didn't care because they want the freight finished and just figure softlines will cover it. Remember Target no longer functions as a team. We are pitted against each other in a way. Mad Max in the targetdome. Yet we have to help out front end with their work even though front end doesn't help us with ours.. gotta love Target sometimes.

Have they been trained to use (and listen for) the walkie or the phones? Have they been trained as cashiers? There is a learning curve here just as there is for salesfloor tms to learn how to pull, backstock, set POGs, use the WAVE, etc. If they are trained, then coaching/retraining is appropriate. If they are not trained, they should be.

I don't usually work mornings or mids, but I know some are trained. Wasn't the whole idea of this being more guest-centered? At least that's what I was told when I was hired that it was moving towards a more guest-focused environment.

I agree, it's a double edged sword - finish the truck or help guests. PLUS it totally depends on which LOD is on too.

This is true. It also could be that a lot of flow team members now are business owners and many have no social skills and don't want to cashier. Thus why they applied for flow lol. The ETL or TL probably didn't care because they want the freight finished and just figure softlines will cover it. Remember Target no longer functions as a team. We are pitted against each other in a way. Mad Max in the targetdome. Yet we have to help out front end with their work even though front end doesn't help us with ours.. gotta love Target sometimes.

All of this. I had a couple backroom TMs mention how they're not excited to cashier once they go to the floor. That's why they work in the back. To not talk to people lol. I'm the same way. I'm all for socializing with other TMs and then completing a task list. Being forced to talk to guests is my least favorite. Maybe that's why I enjoy flex so much.

Inbound members take the guests directly to me because they're idiots and don't know where things are.

Then the tl or ETL should have responded. And then get them cashier trained. You're never going to learn cashiering, after your training, by not doing it.

The point is, I'm leaving my work to walk further to do something we all should be doing. Why should the guest wait longer?

Last edited:
I think using the word idiot is really disrespectful. At my store none of us have had any training at all to deal with customers. What to do when customers need something out of the normal. There are some people on my team that worked over night for a reason but now we are being thrown into the deep end of the pool and have no idea how to swim.
So maybe before you call someone and idiot think about there situation too.
Inbound members take the guests directly to me because they're idiots and don't know where things are.

I think using the word idiot is really disrespectful. At my store none of us have had any training at all to deal with customers. What to do when customers need something out of the normal. There are some people on my team that worked over night for a reason but now we are being thrown into the deep end of the pool and have no idea how to swim.

I agree with you but at the same time there's some inbound team members that just don't want to learn. All they wanna do is just push and not help guests, zone as they go, or do their own backstock.

Theyre not idiots.... They have never been trained properly to handle guests and dont know sales floor process. Dont be so quick to judge. If you were asked by your DTL to tell him what is your margins on certain products, and other metrics and youd didnt know because you never had to know. How would you feel if he called you an idiot.

Theyre not idiots.... They have never been trained properly to handle guests and dont know sales floor process. Dont be so quick to judge. If you were asked by your DTL to tell him what is your margins on certain products, and other metrics and youd didnt know because you never had to know. How would you feel if he called you an idiot.

Nope to both of you. They've worked at the store twice as long as I have. We've been 6am unload for quite a while now. They've worked the goddamn salesfloor long enough to be able to at least answer a question of "where is the kitchen department".

But no. Apparently that is beyond their capabilities.

My DTL would never call me an idiot because I think he has a thing for me.

Edit: AND ANOTHER THING NIGHTSTOCKER honestly how hard is it to say "this item is over here". Sure, you may not have training on dealing with customers but "where is this item" isn't exactly a hard question to answer.

Edit again: AND ANOTHER THING my plano team can solve guest questions. I know for a fact none of THEM have had "training to deal with customers".

Last edited:

My issue with knowing metrics and things like that is .... I'm working. I get there. My boss gives me my work. If Target wants me to study our metrics and other numbers, I'll do that and take time out of doing my work.

Same goes with cartwheel and redcard benefits. I don't personally use cartwheel. I know zero about it. If Target wants me to know about it and what's in the ad, they can pay me to learn it.

In my store inbound is the most experienced in terms of backroom and hardlines knowing locations of every item. They don't want us cross training in other areas. Just unload the truck as fast as possible, push freight as fast as possible and punch out.

I don't usually work mornings or mids, but I know some are trained. Wasn't the whole idea of this being more guest-centered? At least that's what I was told when I was hired that it was moving towards a more guest-focused environment.
Not anymore. I am not joking. The focus is SALES. Sales is a direct result of being in stock. Acknowledge the guest, help if asked, move along.

Back