MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
My issue with knowing metrics and things like that is .... I'm working. I get there. My boss gives me my work. If Target wants me to study our metrics and other numbers, I'll do that and take time out of doing my work.

Same goes with cartwheel and redcard benefits. I don't personally use cartwheel. I know zero about it. If Target wants me to know about it and what's in the ad, they can pay me to learn it.
Your boss giving you your work will change once you are modernized completely. You will make the decisions and discuss this with your leader.You will plan your day. You will know your metrics and you will know why your comps are up or down and decide the best way to take care of the problems. I know it sounds crazy.... but that is how it is and, in all honesty, I see it working for me and others in my store. As far as Target paying you to learn it.... they do.

Then the tl or ETL should have responded. And then get them cashier trained. You're never going to learn cashiering, after your training, by not doing it.

The point is, I'm leaving my work to walk further to do something we all should be doing. Why should the guest wait longer?
You are not leaving your work. That is part of your work.

There won't be gsas and gstls any more under the new model. Our SFS has always done all picks since we added driveup last yr. But with the new changes all cashiers will be trained on gs, register, sco, drive up and opu picks. They guest advocate part includes all that.

I thought gsa's were going to be SEA's? And Gstl's would be SEL's?!
I'm so confused already!

You are all up in here like Yoda.
I've been with Target for a long time. I've been through a lot of changes. It is what it is and if you want to work at Target, then you need to be open to change and willing to try. I'm not saying drink the Kool-Aid. I challenge some of the decisions.... but only if I have a solution to offer or would like to better understand the why, the how, etc. Otherwise, I put on my big girl pants and do the work that gives me that paycheck. As soon as I clock in, whatever is on my plate for the day (whether it is pushing freight, working repacks, setting POGs, back up cashiering, carry-outs) IS my work..

Your boss giving you your work will change once you are modernized completely. You will make the decisions and discuss this with your leader.You will plan your day. You will know your metrics and you will know why your comps are up or down and decide the best way to take care of the problems. I know it sounds crazy.... but that is how it is and, in all honesty, I see it working for me and others in my store. As far as Target paying you to learn it.... they do.

I don't know about that as I'll be on the transition team. Or whatever they are calling it. So I'm not sure I'll have an area.

And no, as of right now, I don't get paid time to learn it. I get paid to set planograms, pull, push, blackstock, audit, do the signing work, etc.

GSA/SEA's will no longer be. GSTL/SEL will be the only front end management, plus the ETL-GE
At our store, we don't usually have a GSTL scheduled... But we do always have a GSA... So, they'll have to start scheduling a GSTL all the time then, right? We also only have 1 so I guess that will have to change too?

I can understand why.

I own an area. I'm judged by that area, and that area alone. Leadership doesn't care that I helped cash out 20 guests, they care that I didn't finish my push, shoot my outs, zone my aisles, or locate my backstock. Those are the things that will affect my review/raise. The Guest Advocates aren't going to come bail me out with my workload when they have downtime, yet I should rush to their aid as many times as they wish despite being given 8 hours worth of work and just 5 hours to complete it?

TLs and ETLs should be jumping on those lanes to help out. Or they should be taking over for us TMs when we're summoned to the lanes. I'm a Dedicated Business Owner, and my business is GRC2, not cashiering.
Well, in about two weeks the GSA position will be gone. ASANTS, our front end would help out when we had some down-time. Now we aren’t even allowed to push candy, so it’s not our fault the hours are not allocated adequately to the front end.

I wish everyone would quit with the "Business Owner" B.S. If you were a business owner you would be able to schedule how you saw fit. If you were a business owner you might decide to spend a little more payroll to increase service which would increase sales. If you were a business owner, you may feel it is more important to not stock all through the day. If you were a business owner you would be making decisions not following directives from the actual puppet master."Business Owner" and "Owning Your Business" are simply buzz words to make people who have no say in how their area is run feel like they have some power. They use that term with a koolaid chaser.

It's part of theirs too. But as I'm walking from further away to help a guest and making them wait longer.

My trick when I'm scheduled for inbounds or hardlines: "I'm in the back (rear seasonal, wherever). But, since no one closer is available, I'll head up. Be there in a couple of minutes."

This normally results in someone else responding that they are closer and will take care of it. If not, it gets TLs attention and they'll start asking for someone closer.

Obviously, only works when you are at the opposite end of the store. When I close to the front, I always respond to calls for help up front unless I've been told not to.

My trick when I'm scheduled for inbounds or hardlines: "I'm in the back (rear seasonal, wherever). But, since no one closer is available, I'll head up. Be there in a couple of minutes."

This normally results in someone else responding that they are closer and will take care of it. If not, it gets TLs attention and they'll start asking for someone closer.

Obviously, only works when you are at the opposite end of the store. When I close to the front, I always respond to calls for help up front unless I've been told not to.

I do that too. I've also had me tl specifically tell me not to respond unless called by name. She said she'd take the heat for it.

I do that too. I've also had me tl specifically tell me not to respond unless called by name. She said she'd take the heat for it.

Yeah, me too. My GSTLs are actually pretty good about this. If one TM is always responding, they'll call out that they need someone other than that TM to respond. That normally gets the salesfloor TLs attention to send someone else up. If not, it gets STL/ETL attention and someone will be ordered up whether they like it or not.

I don't usually work mornings or mids, but I know some are trained. Wasn't the whole idea of this being more guest-centered? At least that's what I was told when I was hired that it was moving towards a more guest-focused environment.

I agree, it's a double edged sword - finish the truck or help guests. PLUS it totally depends on which LOD is on too.

All of this. I had a couple backroom TMs mention how they're not excited to cashier once they go to the floor. That's why they work in the back. To not talk to people lol. I'm the same way. I'm all for socializing with other TMs and then completing a task list. Being forced to talk to guests is my least favorite. Maybe that's why I enjoy flex so much.
Shouldn’t have to backup cashier much. There are 2 mid gstls and an etl ge that does nothing but front end. Shouldn’t call for backup til the gstls are cashiering and etl ge is watching the lanes.

At our store, we don't usually have a GSTL scheduled... But we do always have a GSA... So, they'll have to start scheduling a GSTL all the time then, right? We also only have 1 so I guess that will have to change too?
Nope. If you’re in a low volume you’ll have 1 mid gstl. And expert cashiers open and close while covering self check. Although I suppose you need a second one for opposite weekends.

Last edited:
I have been doing cash office and then SCO till 12:30, 5 days a week.. I'm guessing I wont be getting hours anymore

Our ETL over Logistics announced to our team that he's leaving because the higher ups wanted him to be over more departments. Not surprised that even our ETLs are jumping from this mess. Can't even keep new hires longer than 6 months.

Back