MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
My TL and ETL Log have said they are no longer going to be helping much, if at all, with the truck unload. They said they will instead be doing other tasks. Does anyone know what new responsibilities they have before the store opens?
I know that for me personally, end to end means having to do ALOT more planning. Think about the amount of time the presentation TL would spend on the computer planning their workload. Well, now everyone has to look at transition workload and adjacency calendar and plan accordingly. What about when we have a double? There isn’t a flow team who can just come in at 9pm instead of 11pm, or stay for a ten hour shift. Now we’ve gotta plan and shuffle people around to make sure it all gets pushed. Backroom team used to pull the detail report and remove any price change and discontinued from the stockroom... yep that’s on us to track too.

But if you are comfortable please post them here 😮
This is not the fore mentioned store, but I was at a sister Target today and thought I could use these pictures as a gage to negotiate that $15 hr raise NOW for our upcoming reviews. Door to the back room is backed up because a guest cart of cardboard is blocking it? Guest squeezing between vehicles and sky high pallets, most of which is groceries in the electronic dept. Coca Cola pallets in MMB aisle, why not? This was at 3:00 in the afternoon! The few tms I saw, looked so stressed that I just wanted to pat their heads and tell them they’re pretty. Modernization is working like a charm.

Attachments

• DEFC3E09-2514-4450-9747-0FEC84AC9620.jpeg
    DEFC3E09-2514-4450-9747-0FEC84AC9620.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
  • 6CA19DD1-E662-4AC4-9EC4-B19405B1FF51.jpeg
    6CA19DD1-E662-4AC4-9EC4-B19405B1FF51.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 255
  • 35E3931F-8AEA-41CE-94C2-EEA11D75ED4F.jpeg
    35E3931F-8AEA-41CE-94C2-EEA11D75ED4F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 254
Last edited:
What is five steps???

The 5 Steps are to be done first thing before any other tasks. They are:

5 Steps:
1. Zone & EXF as you go
2. System Audit
3. Pull batches
4. Push batches
5. Backstock whatever was collected or wouldn't go out.

Only after the 5 Steps have been completed can the truck push begin. After the truck has been pushed and backstocked, a manual audit is done of outs by the mid- (if we have one) or, more likely, the closer. Somewhere fit in pricing, revisions, POGs, RFID, reshop, and more backstock.

BUT, before any of the above, guest engagement!

This is not the fore mentioned store, but I was at a sister Target today and thought I could use these pictures as a gage to negotiate that $15 hr raise NOW for our upcoming reviews. Door to the back room is backed up because a guest cart of cardboard is blocking it? Guest squeezing between vehicles and sky high pallets, most of which is groceries in the electronic dept. This was at 3:00 in the afternoon! The few tms I saw, looked so stressed that I just wanted to pat their heads and tell them they’re pretty. Modernization is working like a charm.
Dang. Must be a Chaos charm...

As we say at Target...it's a "global issue". Our floors look more like a back room or a warehouse than a sales floor, and our back rooms look like a set from a disaster movie. It's difficult for guests to shop with all the vehicles and pallets on the floor, and it's impossible for us to access the items we need from the back room as it is cluttered with back stock and z racks. I'm afraid that this has become the new "normal" for Target.

As we say at Target...it's a "global issue". Our floors look more like a back room or a warehouse than a sales floor, and our back rooms look like a set from a disaster movie. It's difficult for guests to shop with all the vehicles and pallets on the floor, and it's impossible for us to access the items we need from the back room as it is cluttered with back stock and z racks. I'm afraid that this has become the new "normal" for Target.

I plead with guests to complain about this situation. That's the only way management will change anything...if they bother.

The 5 Steps are to be done first thing before any other tasks. They are:

5 Steps:
1. Zone & EXF as you go
2. System Audit
3. Pull batches
4. Push batches
5. Backstock whatever was collected or wouldn't go out.

Only after the 5 Steps have been completed can the truck push begin. After the truck has been pushed and backstocked, a manual audit is done of outs by the mid- (if we have one) or, more likely, the closer. Somewhere fit in pricing, revisions, POGs, RFID, reshop, and more backstock.

BUT, before any of the above, guest engagement!
Why the fuck would you EXF and audit BEFORE pushing the truck? Trailer gets acknowledged, that product should mostly be considered ‘on the floor’ at that point, right? So you have an out, system says 4 on the floor but there aren’t any, so you EXF/audit it, and you pull the batch and get the 3 of that item that you from the back. Then you push your u boats and there’s a casepack of 4 of that very item, and 4 fit. Now you’ve wasted time scanning and pulling and pushing that product that, if you had done truck first, you would have just filled the floor directly.

Am I missing something?

Why the fuck would you EXF and audit BEFORE pushing the truck? Trailer gets acknowledged, that product should mostly be considered ‘on the floor’ at that point, right? So you have an out, system says 4 on the floor but there aren’t any, so you EXF/audit it, and you pull the batch and get the 3 of that item that you from the back. Then you push your u boats and there’s a casepack of 4 of that very item, and 4 fit. Now you’ve wasted time scanning and pulling and pushing that product that, if you had done truck first, you would have just filled the floor directly.

Am I missing something?
Zero in the backroom with onhand counts...don't EXF or audit. If you aren't sure check the last delivered date.

Zero in the backroom with onhand counts...don't EXF or audit. If you aren't sure check the last delivered date.
Still spending time scanning outs that won’t even be outs once truck is done, also this is getting us to trust/ignore weird counts; if the audit is done after truck and pulls, if it doesn’t match, you simply know it’s wrong.

Is the five steps part of any of the rollout guides/documentation? We prioritize truck first, zone while pushing, pulls, then audit after any and all backstock is done. I think doing it ‘5 steps’ before you can start truck might be why so many stores are struggling.

If my team runs out of time, some stuff doesn’t get audited until the next day. If your team runs out of time, you’re rolling truck over.

Still spending time scanning outs that won’t even be outs once truck is done, also this is getting us to trust/ignore weird counts; if the audit is done after truck and pulls, if it doesn’t match, you simply know it’s wrong.

Is the five steps part of any of the rollout guides/documentation? We prioritize truck first, zone while pushing, pulls, then audit after any and all backstock is done. I think doing it ‘5 steps’ before you can start truck might be why so many stores are struggling.

If my team runs out of time, some stuff doesn’t get audited until the next day. If your team runs out of time, you’re rolling truck over.
Not saying I don't agree. This is just how we were told to do it. One thing that I have found, though, is that if capacities and SFQ are correct (and should be if EXF and audit are done correctly) is that eventually very little time is necessary for EXF and audit because pulls and freight are more accurately filling the floor and there is minimal backstock. We are a pilot store and did this at first but now walk our areas, make our plan for the day, pull and work our autofills and freight. EXF and audits are done after. We zone as we work. As far as weird counts, as a DBO we need to follow up as to why they are weird. For instance, if there are OH's that are high, but no backroom locations, check to see that there is no unlocated merch, unworked repacks, transition in the steels, etc.

Not saying I don't agree. This is just how we were told to do it. One thing that I have found, though, is that if capacities and SFQ are correct (and should be if EXF and audit are done correctly) is that eventually very little time is necessary for EXF and audit because pulls and freight are more accurately filling the floor and there is minimal backstock. We are a pilot store and did this at first but now walk our areas, make our plan for the day, pull and work our autofills and freight. EXF and audits are done after. We zone as we work. As far as weird counts, as a DBO we need to follow up as to why they are weird. For instance, if there are OH's that are high, but no backroom locations, check to see that there is no unlocated merch, unworked repacks, transition in the steels, etc.
Already are seeing for the most part the pulls and the freight fill the floor pretty accurately

This is not the fore mentioned store, but I was at a sister Target today and thought I could use these pictures as a gage to negotiate that $15 hr raise NOW for our upcoming reviews. Door to the back room is backed up because a guest cart of cardboard is blocking it? Guest squeezing between vehicles and sky high pallets, most of which is groceries in the electronic dept. Coca Cola pallets in MMB aisle, why not? This was at 3:00 in the afternoon! The few tms I saw, looked so stressed that I just wanted to pat their heads and tell them they’re pretty. Modernization is working like a charm.
Oh my goodness 👀 . If it wasn't for the red I would think that was my local Walmart. That “situation” in those pictures should only be happening around store open and store close, never during main shopping hours.

Last edited:
My TL and ETL Log have said they are no longer going to be helping much, if at all, with the truck unload. They said they will instead be doing other tasks. Does anyone know what new responsibilities they have before the store opens?

I don't know specifically what each has to do now however I remember reading something about how their jobs are only to make sure that goals are met, not to actually do the work. Before our TL and ETL would help out on the line, sort repacks, keep the boxes pushed down on the line. Soon it sounds like they'll just be slave drivers.

Am I missing something?

I can only speak from an Electronics view point, but it works well for us.

The sales floor is looking much better zone and stock wise.

Here is some of the logic as it was explained to us:

We shoot EXFs as we zone because we want product out of the backroom to sell first rather than the newer product off the truck (this, theoretically, helps Market the most with getting dated product out of the backroom). Also, it, again in theory, helps free up Waco space in the back and cut down on backstocking time of truck push. Here is a simplified example, say the location has a capacity of three and I have three of this product stowed in three different locations in the backroom and there is a case of Six on the truck. Shooting and pulling the EXF first clears the Waco locations, helps fill the floor, and frees up backroom locations.

The only problem is not enough hours. I will actually go back and shoot the manual audit in an aisle because by the time the truck is finished and backstocked, there is no time for the closer to do it. I only audit OHs of zero, because the EXF will bring out what is located in the backroom and Audit won't let you adjust counts for any item already in a batch or on the truck.

Again, for us in Electronics it is working well, not perfect. For instance, our printer ink aisle used to have many holes, now there are only four or five at any given time.

Market is struggling because of the amount of hours given v. amount of product.

So... Who builds bikes during modernization? Because we got a shit ton piled up in the back. It's been in the late 70s and early 80s here recently. Bikes have been on sale but the bike wall is damn near empty.

In our store it's our receiver. I'm not sure if it's always been them or not or if it's something new. I guess I was under the assumption that there was an outside company that came around and did it but our TL told us to 'throw the box over to receiving and hopefully he can get it built sometime today.'

So... Who builds bikes during modernization? Because we got a shit ton piled up in the back. It's been in the late 70s and early 80s here recently. Bikes have been on sale but the bike wall is damn near empty.
We have close to 40 bikes in the back w clearance stickers on them. $150 or so originally down to $50. Not sure why they aren't built or sent somewhere but they are taking up a ton of space and people I'm sure would buy them up.

DBO of bikes and whatever other part of sporting goods their TL has assigned to them. At our store this is our former bike builder. To be honest, the bike wall now looks better than it ever has.

Oh my goodness 👀 . If it wasn't for the red I would think that was my local Walmart. That “situation” in those pictures should only be happening around store open and store close, never during main shopping hours.
I assume the buzzer went off for the 4 hour shift, so everything was left as is. It didn’t look like they could have shoved anything back into that warehouse if they tried. The dam had been broken.

DBO of bikes and whatever other part of sporting goods their TL has assigned to them. At our store this is our former bike builder. To be honest, the bike wall now looks better than it ever has.
That is awesome. Our sporting goods person just knows to how push and pull, that is it.

We still have bikes that came in Dec on the same pallets. Got rid of a few cause of inventory. Missed price change salvage.

In our store it's our receiver. I'm not sure if it's always been them or not or if it's something new. I guess I was under the assumption that there was an outside company that came around and did it but our TL told us to 'throw the box over to receiving and hopefully he can get it built sometime today.'
Our receiver doesn't even get enough time to do her own job let alone build some bikes. We use to have toy and electronics team members do it, then they moved on to other positions and never trained anyone else.

Here is a simplified example, say the location has a capacity of three and I have three of this product stowed in three different locations in the backroom and there is a case of Six on the truck. Shooting and pulling the EXF first clears the Waco locations, helps fill the floor, and frees up backroom locations.
If products are being backstocked across multiple wacos, that's the problem that needs to be addressed.

If products are being backstocked across multiple wacos, that's the problem that needs to be addressed.

I will admit, I'm guilty of this. I think it's a time issue. If I'm not rushed, I'll take the time to find the location where other product is. But with lack of hours, I'm not surprised backstock is such a mess. I don't like doing it, but at least it's located. I'd love to go through and organize everything (or at least my area's aisles) but that would take a year or two.

Back