MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Our store filled amplified gifting towers with toy clearance too, then put 50% off signs on all of them when a lot is still at 30%. You can imagine the shit the poor cashiers are getting... They even flexed into end caps (front and back) in stationary.

Oh and I noticed we had PLU clearance on 2 amplified gifting sets and told 4 separate leads because nobody knows who owns them. Nobody ever put up signs and it's salvage now. Still on the floor though. 🙄

Funny how if a tm puts a pallet of product in the fire tunnel, I hear, "We'll review the tape and find out who it was. It's a coachable offense." But if the SD puts 4 of them there, not a word. I guess if there's a fire, the ones the SD put there become intangible. Nice double standard Target.

Our store filled amplified gifting towers with toy clearance too, then put 50% off signs on all of them when a lot is still at 30%. You can imagine the shit the poor cashiers are getting... They even flexed into end caps (front and back) in stationary.

Oh and I noticed we had PLU clearance on 2 amplified gifting sets and told 4 separate leads because nobody knows who owns them. Nobody ever put up signs and it's salvage now. Still on the floor though. 🙄
Why not flip the signs around? It should be 50% on one side, 30% on the other side. Turning the signs should save your cashiers a ton of trouble.

Why not flip the signs around? It should be 50% on one side, 30% on the other side. Turning the signs should save your cashiers a ton of trouble.

Me 2 weeks ago before being stuck by myself in BTS would have done it. Me, after 2 weeks of BTS, working 6 days during peak week, with my ass ridden the whole time, and jumping into OPU whenever needed had zero fucks to give at that point.

I never used to feel that way, but the toxicity and low morale is getting to me.

I haven't worked much this summer since I was working full time elsewhere, but man...WHY can't we figure this out? (if you're in a store that HAS figured out this modernization thing, congrats, but I feel like a lot of us are drowning.) I had a TM in another area today tell me they're behind on revisions. But who's supposed to do them? No one seems to know.

Product sits everywhere in the backroom, no TMs answer the calls...we had market TMs backing up on lanes today because no one in GM would respond. But aren't there not supposed to be backups anymore?

Today was my last day. I was sad to say goodbye to some of my team, but I was so frazzled at the end of my shift, I was glad to go. I finished my tasks, but it was the first time in a long time. Maybe they'll figure out modernization. Or maybe it will go the route of Target Canada.

I haven't worked much this summer since I was working full time elsewhere, but man...WHY can't we figure this out? (if you're in a store that HAS figured out this modernization thing, congrats, but I feel like a lot of us are drowning.) I had a TM in another area today tell me they're behind on revisions. But who's supposed to do them? No one seems to know.

Product sits everywhere in the backroom, no TMs answer the calls...we had market TMs backing up on lanes today because no one in GM would respond. But aren't there not supposed to be backups anymore?

Today was my last day. I was sad to say goodbye to some of my team, but I was so frazzled at the end of my shift, I was glad to go. I finished my tasks, but it was the first time in a long time. Maybe they'll figure out modernization. Or maybe it will go the route of Target Canada.

Uh oh, don't mention The Great Debacle that was Canada. Some of the kool aid drinkers here get apoplectic whenever it gets brought up. In some people's eyes, Target can do no wrong. Never mind they screwed a whole country. And of course, this modernization is totally different. It's too big to fail. Right.

Uh oh, don't mention The Great Debacle that was Canada. Some of the kool aid drinkers here get apoplectic whenever it gets brought up. In some people's eyes, Target can do no wrong. Never mind they screwed a whole country. And of course, this modernization is totally different. It's too big to fail. Right.

Haha, right? I don't think it was fully Target's fault that Canada didn't work out. I think the retail climate there was a factor and it was too bad it went the way it did. But that's my opinion. Not aiming to ruffle feathers.

I wish I knew the solution to see modernization succeed. I just know I kept coming into work, having more tasks dumped on me and other TMs with very little time to complete them, along with our backroom being a dumpster fire. Maybe it will iron itself out, but I'm not sticking around to see it.

GM does everything it can to not backup anymore. They have timelines they are supposed to meet and those timelines don't include doing anything other than their work. Backing up means they don't finish on time and get dinged for it. This new reality sucks for them and for other workcenters that rely on backup from GM. I had a 29(51) order drop and immediately after I entered it a 23(36) order dropped. I called it out to the SETL and he spent the next 5 minutes trying to get someone, anyone to jump into OPUs to help with that second order. He had to give up because it was *crickets* from GM. So that was a nice fat goal time not met. I've had to get SD intervention just to get my lunch covered recently lest I hit compliance. It sucks, but I get it. GM can't get their own work done. They don't have time to do mine.

GM does everything it can to not backup anymore. They have timelines they are supposed to meet and those timelines don't include doing anything other than their work. Backing up means they don't finish on time and get dinged for it. This new reality sucks for them and for other workcenters that rely on backup from GM. I had a 29(51) order drop and immediately after I entered it a 23(36) order dropped. I called it out to the SETL and he spent the next 5 minutes trying to get someone, anyone to jump into OPUs to help with that second order. He had to give up because it was *crickets* from GM. So that was a nice fat goal time not met. I've had to get SD intervention just to get my lunch covered recently lest I hit compliance. It sucks, but I get it. GM can't get their own work done. They don't have time to do mine.
Are they all trained on it? I drop everything to help Flex when asked, that was my starting position and I love it. Most people in my store aren't trained in it, they are going to work on that for 4th quarter. Supposedly.

We're like 3 trucks behind and most of the new TMs are worth about 25% an old flow TM. A lot of the new people we just can't depend on yet. Most haven't been properly trained because who would do it? No one has time. I'm just doing everything in my power to push freight and get my stuff backstocked to free up vehicles for the next unload, even with the SD constantly asking me to zone or work on some random special project. Jesus, Spot's priorities are warped right now.

i'm trying to figure out how i can stop bringing work stress home with me. tbh i work more than 40 hours a week, but without hitting overtime. it's especially rough since i don't have a peer SETL and haven't since my onboarding.
Having a peer SETL isn’t always easier ... trust me. It adds to your stress especially if your peer isn’t really a peer. This is really one of the toughest positions, your team members also see how differently you’re treated from peer and that is a small start of the problems of this position. I am all about my store, team, setting expectations, empowering my team. Leading by example. My OFF STAGE peer worries about printers, and the soon leaving photo lab.

Last edited:
Are they all trained on it? I drop everything to help Flex when asked, that was my starting position and I love it. Most people in my store aren't trained in it, they are going to work on that for 4th quarter. Supposedly.

Most are trained in the basics at least. The only ones who aren't trained in flex are those we really, really wouldn't want doing OPUs. But, it's not just an issue with OPU coverage. It's backing up the lanes or the service desk. Getting carryouts can take an embarrasingly long time. Cart parties are another issue. Tech even has problems getting people to go unlock video games for guests. It sucks. But, I look at the backroom and yeah, GM doesn't have time for that shit. Mind you, that means that I absolutely do not have time (even if I really do) to help GM with their reshop. Won't touch it that day if backup is called for without a response. But, I get it.

Before I left there was a day when we got about 15 hours of BTS push but only had people schedules for maybe 10 hours. Where do those 5 additional hours come from?

In also walking through a different Target right now and it's a complete shitshow. College isnt set. Paper clarence is marked down 0% so it is still full price (first picture) and toys clarence is all over the place (last two pictures). I'm afraid to see the rest of the store
At least there is product on the shelf and not on the floor, thought it was my store at first glance, unless you just didn’t capture lines of carts filled with reshop and abandons. When I was a GMTL if one section looked like it was headed this way. Probably would’ve been terminated immediately! Glad I’m stuck at the front end now it makes me cry seeing the stores look like this being a TL and nothing you can do.. just sad!

One thing I noticed at my store with all the modernization is that the late morning/afternoon teams don't really have a sense of urgency. Before, the flow team could get the entire truck done by noon. Now since everyone has to own their own sections (pricing, outs, pogs, etc) the former flow team will unload the truck in between 1-1.5 hr, finish up their sections, leave for the day and then most times have to come in the next morning to finish up the multiple flats and uboats left over from the other teams not getting their stuff done. And it seems to be their fault that stuff isn't done even though they are pulling the lions share of the work. We also seem to always have at least two pallets of repacks, plus multiple stacks 4-5 repacks high left over sometimes for days. That never used to happen.

Luckily for me the modernization changes haven't really impacted receiving at all. IRs don't drop on a regular schedule anymore, but that is easy enough to deal with. I'm just dreading the day they decide to train everyone to do receiving. There are so many things that can be royally messed up if multiple people do it.

I agree. We all have deadlines to meet though. I don't finish my tasks in market, I get seen as someone who is too slow and will probably get performanced out. It's not so much the backing up at the lanes though. It's the fact that everyone BUT GM is answering phone calls and guest questions on the floor FOR GM. Home furnishing call box goes off? A market TM or beauty has to clear it. A guest needs a microwave pulled? They find someone in market because no one is around. I had someone ask me for help in health & beauty and I didn't know offhand what he was looking for, so I called out for someone near there to assist him. Crickets. Usually I march right on over and do it myself, but then we run into not finishing tasks on time. Someone needs help in seasonal or sporting goods? They find the TMs in market.

I'm more than willing to help other areas. I like doing OPU and offer to help flex if they get slammed (and it doesn't affect my tasks). I can see the issue though. There's just got to be a better way to make this all work.

They have no one to call on to help bail them out when they need it. Why should they put themselves further and further into work debt by sending their TMs to other areas of the store?

And that's how I ended up with 37 hours this past week, despite only being scheduled 22. GM's push times exceeded scheduled times. I ended up staying late every day to get the freight finished.

Did you see news on CHASE credit in Canada?

The not only backed out of credit biz but just wrote off all credit debt.

I agree. We all have deadlines to meet though. I don't finish my tasks in market, I get seen as someone who is too slow and will probably get performanced out. It's not so much the backing up at the lanes though. It's the fact that everyone BUT GM is answering phone calls and guest questions on the floor FOR GM. Home furnishing call box goes off? A market TM or beauty has to clear it. A guest needs a microwave pulled? They find someone in market because no one is around. I had someone ask me for help in health & beauty and I didn't know offhand what he was looking for, so I called out for someone near there to assist him. Crickets. Usually I march right on over and do it myself, but then we run into not finishing tasks on time. Someone needs help in seasonal or sporting goods? They find the TMs in market.
You might as well be talking about my store. When I stay later in the day, almost all of the GMs are drowning in freight and are completely unable/willing to help cover the lanes or callboxes. That usually falls to Market Team. I find it super fascinating how these similar problems are infecting targets everywhere. The current DBO role being totally insane and having way too much workload is part of it.

Rolling backroom, flow and sales floor into one monolithic thing is a horrible idea and the concept itself is flawed. Imagine if the military dropped specializations and just had everyone do everything. No army, no navy, no air force, no marines. No dedicated tank operators, no snipers, no medics, no pilots. Every infantryman just had to jump into a particular role depending on the day. Not playing to the strengths of your people, no specialized training, no gaining proficiency in a particular role. It'd be an unmitigated disaster. I can see why a retailer would want something like this in theory but their execution of it has been halfassed and embarrassing.

My SD in not so many words blamed many of our problems on old flow TMs being unwilling to adapt to modernization, despite >60% of our team being gone since modernization began in my store. Reading the stories here, these issues run very deep and it seems clear to me it's more about how corporate have implemented the changes and simply throwing the blame on the bottom rung workers is denial from kool-aid drinkers.

Last edited:
/My senario of the day was: go in get the cleared, u boats set up/replaced, then finally unload and sort truck. Then once that was completed within 2 hrs or so, its break time. I was told to do my sort of the cosmetic repacks then do chemicals. I was like okay. I look at the pulls, I drop them. The pulls were a truck on their own. They are always a ridiculous amount in CHEM pretty much everyday. I feel for the guy that pushes CHEM. So I do that, then its time for lunch. Still 98/108 tasks to go. After lunch, I get it all done. I get to push the pulls. My lead pretty much was walking around and I could tell checking in on me. I was just going along and doing my job as fast as I could. Finally, those pulls got done. I could work on aisles 9-12 and my lead did the "heavy lifting". He boasted about I got all my product out and how long it took him. I said with a straight face good for you. And reminded him that these pulls for CHEM are always heavy. He goes I know but it should take you really about 20 minutes. If only I were pushing truck with a sugar rush lol But I went with my U boat and then we dog piled the last U boat. Lord knows we've been told one person per vehicle and here he wants the truck done so he won't get chewed out. And then some TMs get this checklist of tasks. And are they recording the times from when they clock in, start task and up until they clock out. Myself and others are doing the best we can to adapt and accept these changes, but really what's the use of the checklist if you are going to possibly use them against us and perfomance ppl out?

Back