4th quarter nation wide modernization

Is modernization working for your store?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • Heck no

Votes: 53 45.7%

• Total voters
Will do. It’s so frustrating. I’ve only been saying all year we have to be overnight by late October to catch this before it’s too late and here we are...

Sounds like some ETLs need to get off their asses and help

ETA: Somebody's going to get fired, too. DSDs or whatever the acronym is now would blow their tops.

Last edited:
Some questions for those that feel modernization is working for your store.
  • Are trucks completed everyday? Which areas lag behind? (this includes flats of repacks for HBA, Domestics, Stationary, etc.)
  • Does every department of your store have a DBO? Does your store have TMs to fill in on the DBO's days off?
  • What is the status of your old POG team? Essentially, who did your Halloween set and who is going to do your Christmas?
  • How involved are your GM-TLs and ETL in DBO functions i.e. pulls, freight, price change etc.? (Hint: they're supposed to be "hands off")
  • What is the current status of your backroom? From 10 (perfect!) to a 0 (completely fucked)
  • Are the ETLs generally working as a unit? Or are the different departments more competitive and adversarial?
EXTRA BONUS: Are you at a high volume store?

1. Yes, on rare occasion there may be some area that isnt 100%
2. Yes
3. "Old pog" are "presentation experts", so yes pog still exist, but mainly for major transitions.
4. We follow up to make sure they know the plan. most DBOs drop their own 1for1s etc
5. Our backroom is pretty clean and empty as far as GM and Food. Style on the other hand is a work in progress.
6. Yes
7. Yea i guess? were around 60 million a year.

The people who complain about modernization not working dont have a solid structure in place in their stores.

*Also one of the biggest things that helped us was having the "mini flow team" now. We have 5-6 people who unload and then help push areas that are heavy in freight, typically priority 1 areas etc. All stores should have this

Last edited:
*Also one of the biggest things that helped us was having the "mini flow team" now. We have 5-6 people who unload and then help push areas that are heavy in freight, typically priority 1 areas etc. All stores should have this

Pardon me for saying so but I recall hearing that this isn't allowed in "proper" modernization. I guess you're a bigger store and allowed to break the rules though?

Pardon me for saying so but I recall hearing that this isn't allowed in "proper" modernization. I guess you're a bigger store and allowed to break the rules though?

My store is similar were inbound team is 6tms and there goal is to finish unloading the truck in under 2hrs and then they bowl and push whatever area is the heaviest that day. We also have a fulltime tm thats owns receiving/backroom with the receiver and there job is to make sure everything is clean and organized and they also do the backroom audits,bales and they help receive vendors . In addition if theres any DBO callouts then they cover there area for the day

Will do. It’s so frustrating. I’ve only been saying all year we have to be overnight by late October to catch this before it’s too late and here we are...

Same. I have been asking since September to let me know when you know what we are going to do for Black Friday so I can order supplies and yet my ETL says she knows nothing. STL not pleased when I did the hand off today. Cause under no circumstance can we run out of supplies but I don't know what shit show to prepare for. She told me go make an order "NOW". Stay late and write one for heavy orders, not crazy but really heavy.. So I ordered a pallet of everything and doubled up of most other things.

I’m going to add this one too: if modernization is working great for your store, are you locationed in an area with a cheap standard of living/or socioeconomic area that avails itself to $13 part-time work w/ open availability needed? Forget the leaders, who are your dbos?

I don’t know how everyone else’s hiring is looking right now, but it seems like lot of people lately have been thumbing their nose at $13 an hour, once they realize how much work they are expected to do, and the fact it’s not a guaranteed set of hours.

Good help is 85% of this process working correctly, especially since there’s not a whole lot a room for error now. I suspect some of the stores that struggle the most with this process are located in areas where the right help needed to run it properly can’t be bought for what is being offered right now.

1. Yes, on rare occasion there may be some area that isnt 100%
2. Yes
3. "Old pog" are "presentation experts", so yes pog still exist, but mainly for major transitions.
4. We follow up to make sure they know the plan. most DBOs drop their own 1for1s etc
5. Our backroom is pretty clean and empty as far as GM and Food. Style on the other hand is a work in progress.
6. Yes
7. Yea i guess? were around 60 million a year.

The people who complain about modernization not working dont have a solid structure in place in their stores.

I don't see how your store can criticize people complaining about modernization when "mini flow team" and presentation experts are the furthest things from modernization.

Last edited:
I don't see how your store can criticize people complaining about modernization when "mini flow team" and presentation experts are the furthest things from modernization.
Our region made these changes because they were seeing the problems that were happening. It was not realistic to have 1 person be able to zone/pulls/truck/workload/pricing etc in one shift. Instead, you give a team to help support areas that need it. The stores that havent made this switch yet, will.

My team pushes about 75-80% of the GM truck every day. We average about 2k per truck for reference.

Our region made these changes because they were seeing the problems that were happening. It was not realistic to have 1 person be able to zone/pulls/truck/workload/pricing etc in one shift. Instead, you give a team to help support areas that need it. The stores that havent made this switch yet, will.

I agree, however, we had all of this before modernization. This is not modernization.

Last edited:
I agree, however we had all of this before modernization. This is not modernization.
We were "modernized" this time last year and it did not go great. Most of the problem was that we didnt have the right people in the right places and our previous SD was in over his head (hes since been replaced by an allstar). We would roll trucks everyday, pricing was probably 2 weeks behind, workload would be tied off.. you get the point. Since we made the changes we were told to make by our group, weve been back on track and very rarely roll any truck, all workload is ahead, our backroom is almost empty, and the store looks great. So by target standards we are modernized and have a solid core of DBO's.

We were "modernized" this time last year and it did not go great. Most of the problem was that we didnt have the right people in the right places and our previous SD was in over his head (hes since been replaced by an allstar). We would roll trucks everyday, pricing was probably 2 weeks behind, workload would be tied off.. you get the point. Since we made the changes we were told to make by our group, weve been back on track and very rarely roll any truck, all workload is ahead, our backroom is almost empty, and the store looks great. So by target standards we are modernized and have a solid core of DBO's.

I agree, efficient DBOs with a flow team backbone would be key. It would require most higher ups admitting the original concept of modernization is a failure. We still pretend like its working here.

It always seem the people talking about how great their store is doing in the modernization era will a few posts later admit that they are not following every modernization rule and have altered what they found unworkable. C'mon, say up front if you aren't following modernization in every way.

Kinda hard to talk up how great your from-scratch turkey meal is when you follow the same recipe book that is burning everyone else's dinner, and then admit that you substituted out the from-scratch stuffing and rolls because the recipe book got those all wrong and you are improvising to make it edible.

My team pushes about 75-80% of the GM truck every day. We average about 2k per truck for reference.
Sounds like you don’t know WTF you are talking about, but carry on.

Back