4th quarter nation wide modernization

Is modernization working for your store?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • Heck no

Votes: 53 45.7%

• Total voters
Some sort of store will be left after 4q Modernization. Whether it is a store anyone wants to work at is another matter.

Some questions for those that feel modernization is working for your store.
  • Are trucks completed everyday? Which areas lag behind? (this includes flats of repacks for HBA, Domestics, Stationary, etc.)
  • Does every department of your store have a DBO? Does your store have TMs to fill in on the DBO's days off?
  • What is the status of your old POG team? Essentially, who did your Halloween set and who is going to do your Christmas?
  • How involved are your GM-TLs and ETL in DBO functions i.e. pulls, freight, price change etc.? (Hint: they're supposed to be "hands off")
  • What is the current status of your backroom? From 10 (perfect!) to a 0 (completely fucked)
  • Are the ETLs generally working as a unit? Or are the different departments more competitive and adversarial?

EXTRA BONUS: Are you at a high volume store?

Last edited:
Our backroom looks like utter shit.

Christmas thing dropped today, only guess what? Most of what's in it is still in the back, untied. We have pallets, flats, and STACKS of repacks full of christmas shit that can't be bought.

I'm sure this will look great on the store's metrics

• Are trucks completed everyday? Which areas lag behind? (this includes flats of repacks for HBA, Domestics, Stationary, etc.)
  • Does every department of your store have a DBO? Does your store have TMs to fill in on the DBO's days off?
  • What is the status of your old POG team? Essentially, who did your Halloween set and who is going to do your Christmas?
  • How involved are your GM-TLs and ETL in DBO functions i.e. pulls, freight, price change etc.? (Hint: they're supposed to be "hands off")
  • What is the current status of your backroom? From 10 (perfect!) to a 0 (completely fucked)
  • Are the ETLs generally working as a unit? Or are the different departments more competitive and adversarial?

1. Our trucks are finished 99% of the time, the only time they dont get completely pushed is when multiple people call in and we have a big truck.
2. I am pretty sure kitchen is the only area without a DBO at my store. We have non dbo team members come in on non truck days to zone/1 for 1's and if there is by chance rollover truck they will work that.
3. We have a 4 tm POG team who has been doing POG for seasonal and for areas where the DBO's aren't comfortable with that sort of stuff.
4. They check in to see certain team members status' and make sure they are on schedule that's about it.
5. The back room as of late has been stressing me out simply because certain people dont backstock things and leave them for others to so it so its carts full of product some days. So based on that I would say we are at a 7. With the holidays coming up I know it will get worse without a backroom team.
6. All leadership team works together well. Which surprises me.

Wow. I'm surprised your DTL isn't in the store every day breathing down leaderships' necks. My store's overall numbers went red during BTS and that got us an extremely unpleasant completely surprise visit from the DTL and all the BPs. I can't imagine how bad it would be if we were always red. I do feel for you because it has to suck to not be able to find that much and there's nothing you can do about it. I get pissy if I have a random day over 4%. I can't imagine how frustrated you must get.

I know right. It might be why our STL was invited to leave. The DTL knows what a shit show this place is. And knows we are doing our best, cause I have taken her ear off about it. Called the hotline over safety issues that made picking an impossible task, issues with leadership intentionally pulling our people to do other tasks and not letting the SFS/OPU workload actually be worked. We can only do what we can. When your counts are totally fucked you can't produce items out of thin air.

1. Our trucks are completed daily. We might be behind a pallet in the coolers or freezer depending on what time those trucks arrive. Maybe a few zs of style if it was huge and didn’t get sorted timely.

2. We have dbos everywhere. We have fillers. Might not have enough come fourth quarter depending on sfs needs. I feel pretty good. Our dbos can work in any area of the store effectively, for the most part, and are well trained.

3. Old pog team is dbos for other areas, but they have solid backups. So if we need them for a big set, we just plug in the backups. Had six, down to four, but we have good tms that can set.

4. Leads are involved but not critical. We help, we don’t do. So I might pull but I don’t often push the pulls, and I won’t touch trucks unless I have call outs. Same with my peers. I try to help everyone a little vs taking over their whole job. So a hour on price change, fill milk, pull a big pull, get milk for Starbucks.

5. I would say our back room is a solid 7. Have some work to do, but it’ll get us through.

6. Imo the whole team works together well, though we have one ETL that needs to go. Though isn’t entirely useless but needs more direction and isn’t getting it, so either needs to get a clue or get out.

Trucks are generally completed every day. When there is roll over it's usually chems, or Infant repacks.

Every department in my store has a DBO, some have coverage every day, some don't. This is only because recently my store is having an issue with call offs.

We only "got rid of" our Presentation team for like three weeks, then they were allowed to call themselves Presentation again. There's a core that pretty much do all of the Transitions for the store, with the help from the DBO(s) of the area they are transitioning.

Aside from one or two DBOs who haven't gotten with the program and are on their way out, Leadership are hands off unless they need you to do a specific project. It's really easy to see who hasn't pulled their 1 for 1 so our stores way ahead in that department. They never touch freight unless disaster strikes obviously. (Mass attendance issues, etc.)

I would say when I left for the weekend our backroom was a solid 8. One area of the backroom is a bit of a mess and alone knocks it down two points.

I would say they work as a team when they need to, but there is less of a one team one dream attitude than before.

We only "got rid of" our Presentation team for like three weeks, then they were allowed to call themselves Presentation again. There's a core that pretty much do all of the Transitions for the store, with the help from the DBO(s) of the area they are transitioning.
How does this mythical "help" for Plano from the DBOs work? Ours are always busy with their truck for their entire shift, and aren't there on the non-truck days (and Plano is only there on 1 of our 2 non truck days since they don't work weekends). So now Plano is always running behind. Oops!

How does this mythical "help" for Plano from the DBOs work? Ours are always busy with their truck for their entire shift, and aren't there on the non-truck days (and Plano is only there on 1 of our 2 non truck days since they don't work weekends). So now Plano is always running behind. Oops!
Our Plano works sundays but not saturdays. Our dbos are scheduled under pog at least once during the week of a set in their area. They spend this day planning what to do with all the clearance coming out of the aisles. They don’t actually help set much.
throughout the rest of their week our pulls drop in their manuals. They pull and we push.

Hell to the NO I’m not gonna be a trainer / mentor for the newbies and show them workday and their learning plan.
I am a DBO and only make 13/ hr for all the shit you ask of me I’m not doing this. I’m not gonna train someone who will only work 4 or 7 days.

Hell to the NO I’m not gonna be a trainer / mentor for the newbies and show them workday and their learning plan.
I am a DBO and only make 13/ hr for all the shit you ask of me I’m not doing this. I’m not gonna train someone who will only work 4 or 7 days.

I know with the old system you could plop a seasonal in to the jobs that didn't take much to teach, reshop, push things that take time but are really needed to keep the store neat and product flowing. Now, they want people doing it all and that just isn't feasible.

I know with the old system you could plop a seasonal in to the jobs that didn't take much to teach, reshop, push things that take time but are really needed to keep the store neat and product flowing. Now, they want people doing it all and that just isn't feasible.

No kidding. They seem to want people to learn quicker than is reasonable. And what if they're a little bit slow, like me? They probably won't last. I've only lasted just from being here 4-5 years and learning most shit by osmosis practice.

I am a DBO and only make 13/ hr for all the shit you ask of me I’m not doing this. I’m not gonna train someone who will only work 4 or 7 days

They don’t ask you if you would train someone, they tell you that you are one. We also had to read and/or take a little training session so will know what kinds of questions or statements to make to the trainee. It’s hard to get anything done when you are training. Also, in Style, the trainee shadows each DBO to learn that area.
Many of our trainees have quit due to being overwhelmed by the modernization process we have to follow every time we work.

They don’t ask you if you would train someone, they tell you that you are one. We also had to read and/or take a little training session so will know what kinds of questions or statements to make to the trainee. It’s hard to get anything done when you are training. Also, in Style, the trainee shadows each DBO to learn that area.
Many of our trainees have quit due to being overwhelmed by the modernization process we have to follow every time we work.

Same experience. I LOVE coming to work in the morning and am told "Orders are high, but you'll be fine, you have help!" and said "help" is a first-day trainee who I have to show EVERYTHING to, and the other is someone I trained and this is their first shift not as a trainee, so still needing help. Nope, that's not help, that's a hindrance that will cut my productivity in half. I'm getting OK with training people, but since I'm otherwise the only veteran TM scheduled (there's only three non-seasonals in SFS and the other two have limited availability), I'm more or less the only person who right now has a chance at keeping our metrics green, but I can't do that when it's taking me three hours to pick a batch because I have a trainee and I'm the OPU picker, too.

It’s been said before and probably better but it would be wonderful if the people who invent these “new and improved processes “ had some idea what is entailed in each set of tasks and what the store environment is actually like. It’s also be said that Corporate peruses this site. If so they could probably learn a lot if they understood and empathized.
I won’t hold my breath.

Same experience. I LOVE coming to work in the morning and am told "Orders are high, but you'll be fine, you have help!" and said "help" is a first-day trainee who I have to show EVERYTHING to, and the other is someone I trained and this is their first shift not as a trainee, so still needing help. Nope, that's not help, that's a hindrance that will cut my productivity in half. I'm getting OK with training people, but since I'm otherwise the only veteran TM scheduled (there's only three non-seasonals in SFS and the other two have limited availability), I'm more or less the only person who right now has a chance at keeping our metrics green, but I can't do that when it's taking me three hours to pick a batch because I have a trainee and I'm the OPU picker, too.

Sounds like my last Thanksgiving day. 800 SFS orders not counting OPU orders which were over 200 for black Friday. But it's just you and a brand spankin' newbie. Don't fall behind or we will get shut off and we will CCA you for it. I told the STL to shove it and write me up for that.

EXTRA BONUS: Are you at a high volume store?

• (Answer) GM and Style 100% every day. Grocery was lagging under previous leadership but with our new one food is becoming 100% as of recently.
  • (Answer) Yes
  • What is the status of your old POG team?
    (Answer) Still exist, was never dismantled. They are now presentation experts? Confused why everyone said they lose POG but it’s in the literal template for modernization charts
  • Essentially, who did your Halloween set and who is going to do your Christmas?
  • (Answer) presentation already started 1/4 of Christmas, GMTL that used to run POG before we were modernized oversee it from a leadership standpoint and placed right people in to support when necessary. This is also in the modernization charts to have one of the GMTL to be responsible for big transitions
  • (Answer) one of them is 90% hands off from what I observe the others are hands on. I’m completely hands on in more so giving support where it’s needed and keeping a plan in motion for a week or two worth and act accordingly.
  • (Answer) some days were rough that I recall but for the most part it’s pretty decent, not a 10. Our BRLA for the store is green. But there’s no random heap of vehicles of push lined up if you’re asking, we are clean on freight. I’d say an 8.
  • (Answer) ETLs always seemed to be cohesive from my perspective, but I’m not an ETL so I could be wrong but from what I can observe they all seem to be always communicating and supporting when needed to an extent.

• now I am not saying our store is perfect because it is a complete far cry from that. I am not a poster boy for modernization because what’s actually working is better payroll allocation. So yea it can work, If you’re getting the payroll and the RIGHT PEOPLE in the right areas. Let’s face it, some people aren’t cut out for certain departments, first thing we did is moved people around to right sections. There are still some areas that are spotty due to leadership not holding their team accountable.

• the main ingredient would probably be leadership first. So it starts with leadership, a good DBO then payroll. No point asking to fix payroll if you don’t honestly have an A team. You could get all the payroll you want but if John rather sits and chat with Rebecca instead of doing his job and TL Brad doesn’t hold John accountable then it is all moot.
  • Fix your leadership, your DBOs then you can discuss payroll if all those are addressed.

• oh By sales I am not sure we’re considered high volume by corporate standards? I know we’re a super target and we do get really really busy every day but we only have 3 GMTL and I recall the chart that said the standard volume gets 3 and high volume gets 4 and 4 we do not have lol. Which is weird because I think we missed the mark by not much in sales to be classified high volume, oh well.

• Personally, I still think Pricing should exist. They shouldn’t have abandoned that role. Keep that team, it makes sense and every day there are price changes so I don’t see the point of dismantling it.

Last edited:
I'd just like to go to my department and find that the closing TM zoned it that night. That would be nice, otherwise I'm spending the first hour and a half or more, zoning before I start One for One, and then freight that overnight used to push out but now we do, and then go backs. Basically we're now doing the job that other people used to be hired to do, so 3 times the work, for same salary.

We are now at the point of no return. Cannot move in the back room. 1 person (Me) in toys with over 20 pallets backed up. No more vehicles or pallets left and two trucks to unload everyday. No more space for backstock, no room on the steel, no time for anything...De ja vu

We are now at the point of no return. Cannot move in the back room. 1 person (Me) in toys with over 20 pallets backed up. No more vehicles or pallets left and two trucks to unload everyday. No more space for backstock, no room on the steel, no time for anything...De ja vu

Keep us updated...I just know someone is going to get hurt in there.

Keep us updated...I just know someone is going to get hurt in there.

Will do. It’s so frustrating. I’ve only been saying all year we have to be overnight by late October to catch this before it’s too late and here we are...

Back