Archived 8 a.m ftw!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I have had the ULV discussion and I am not trying to be a one upper, but I am in a store that is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooow volume store. Like low low. I know that I've discussed closing with 3 TM's on the floor (electronics, market/Pfresh, and softlines/operator). Point being, we just found out that we are going to an 8 am flow process. We knew it was coming, but we were not expecting implementation until later this year. Honestly it sort of helps us. The last 2 weeks we have had only a few hours for softlines and hardlines coverage, so now we can use the flow team as sales floor coverage......which is exactly why corp made the move. 2 years ago we were 4 am, last year we went 6 am, and now 8. Wild. The company continues to self destruct. BTW, I'm in a fairly new store (opened in the last 6 years), so it's not like we are going to close anytime soon. We have had positive comps every year and the year we went Pfresh we had 16% comps. It's a profitable store and that is part of the problem, we continue to be productive and profitable despite having 0 payroll and HUGE changes in our processes. Unfortunately we pave the way for these changes because we are proof of concept.

Keep in mind, this may be good for sales floor coverage (whilst bad for Flow...), but its going to have a huge impact on store brand.

Keep in mind, this may be good for sales floor coverage (whilst bad for Flow...), but its going to have a huge impact on store brand.

....Not that brand matters that much any more. Imerzan, honestly it shouldn't be much different than it is now. We break out onto flats now because we know we will be flowing freight until 1-3 pm. Now there will be days when we are still pushing when our closing team shows up at 5. Our DTL is lenient on having bulk pallets on the floor because he knows that breaking down bulk water, paper, and dog food pallets is a waste of time.....after all, the whole point is to be efficient with our time.

I know I have had the ULV discussion and I am not trying to be a one upper, but I am in a store that is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooow volume store. Like low low. I know that I've discussed closing with 3 TM's on the floor (electronics, market/Pfresh, and softlines/operator). Point being, we just found out that we are going to an 8 am flow process. We knew it was coming, but we were not expecting implementation until later this year. Honestly it sort of helps us. The last 2 weeks we have had only a few hours for softlines and hardlines coverage, so now we can use the flow team as sales floor coverage......which is exactly why corp made the move. 2 years ago we were 4 am, last year we went 6 am, and now 8. Wild. The company continues to self destruct. BTW, I'm in a fairly new store (opened in the last 6 years), so it's not like we are going to close anytime soon. We have had positive comps every year and the year we went Pfresh we had 16% comps. It's a profitable store and that is part of the problem, we continue to be productive and profitable despite having 0 payroll and HUGE changes in our processes. Unfortunately we pave the way for these changes because we are proof of concept.

We just switched to a 7 AM process. 8 AM is scary!!!

....Not that brand matters that much any more. Imerzan, honestly it shouldn't be much different than it is now. We break out onto flats now because we know we will be flowing freight until 1-3 pm. Now there will be days when we are still pushing when our closing team shows up at 5. Our DTL is lenient on having bulk pallets on the floor because he knows that breaking down bulk water, paper, and dog food pallets is a waste of time.....after all, the whole point is to be efficient with our time.

No one wants to shop in a store with merchandise all over the place on tubs/flats/pallets. Brand does matter. Maybe not to Spot (which is hypocritical since they always DO make such a big deal about brand...), but at least to consumers it does. No one likes a dirty/unorganized store.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does this mean for the other specialty teams? I don't know about you guys, but about 75% of our flow team is on another team come 8 am. They typically move to either pricing or pog. I wonder if we'll have to do more hiring? Will in stocks have to start their scan later? My store is making the announcement about this tomorrow, but I close. I wish I could be there. I'm sure the teams will come up with questions I haven't thought of and I'd like to hear the answers.

off topic: I would like to work at low volume store. 8k people a day is too much. :huh:

Its not all its cracked up to be. Its low sales, but maybe one person on the sales floor all day. 1 or 2 cashiers, no cart attendant, no gs. If a weekly POG workload is supposed to take 400hrs, you're lucky to get 300. Low volume stores definitely come with their own challenges.

off topic: I would like to work at low volume store. 8k people a day is too much. :huh:

Its not all its cracked up to be. Its low sales, but maybe one person on the sales floor all day. 1 or 2 cashiers, no cart attendant, no gs. If a weekly POG workload is supposed to take 400hrs, you're lucky to get 300. Low volume stores definitely come with their own challenges.

Run and tell that. ;P It's rough.

Having backstock pallets from the truck still in the backroom at 8 at night because you only had 3 people scheduled in the backroom on a truck day is frustrating. Having 1 TM pushing freight during the trailer unload means nothing is done for the first 2 hours of the day. Scheduling 1 instocks TM for 3 hours of scanning and expecting them to complete rigs and somehow get 3000 scans a week is impossible. Expecting presentation to set 450 hours(450/5days = 90 hours per day / 3 TMs = 30 hours of work per 8 hr shift).

You guys who work Low Vol stores are champs. If you guys up and walked out your stores would literally cease to function lol.

Our ETL for logistics commented that at the store he was at had 25% more hours just because it was not a ULV store.

408 hours of POG workload last week. We allocated the workcenter 280. We took the remaining hours and gave hardlines 30 and softlines 40 just so they had some hours. When the hours dropped in from corporate it was -23 for hardlines and -14 for softlines. IF we would not have reallocated the hours, salesfloor would have 0 hours.....literally. The remaining POG hours were given to electronics and operator (so we at least had one on the weekend). Teamwork!!

408 hours of POG workload last week. We allocated the workcenter 280. We took the remaining hours and gave hardlines 30 and softlines 40 just so they had some hours. When the hours dropped in from corporate it was -23 for hardlines and -14 for softlines. IF we would not have reallocated the hours, salesfloor would have 0 hours.....literally. The remaining POG hours were given to electronics and operator (so we at least had one on the weekend). Teamwork!!

lol seriously, does HQ even realize this BS that is going on. hey lets send the team negative hours for the floor, that will VIBE IT UP

wow this all sounds incredibly stupid. If there was only one Target around and it had 3 people in the store I would never want to shop there.

It just means that the truck will come first. It may take all day to work it. Then when its done, then the zone can be worked. I just going to be amazed how truck logistics is going work when previous trucks were picked up and dropped off during the daytime. Are trucks going to be arriving at 4am-6am then flow and floor team works it the entire day. And it has to get done by 6pm in order to work on the zone.

Gregg has waged a war on Mr.Dayton's "Brand" since he took over. Target may preach Brand but no one has a unified vision of what "Brand" is anymore.

This is going to be a catastrophic failure. I don't care if your store is low volume or not. Walmart can get away with this tactic because their layout is much more open (although on a tangent, I feel like the wal-marts here have shoe horned so much crap into aisle space, that they've too become claustrophobic). Trying to have Flow and Salesfloor doing their jobs in the relatively tight aisles WITH guests shopping on top of that is going to turn into a cluster f really quickly. Then, when Corporate's wondering why nothing's getting done, the answer, as usual, will be that it's the store employees just not working hard enough. It's frustrating when you really want to like your employer, but they keep making asinine decisions.

We are starting the 8am process next week, with the straight to the floor stocking mixed in. All pallets (black) must be off the floor by 11am. All guests are to be warned of anytime they come within 100 yards of a pallet not to trip over it. And all guests who don't speak Spanish are going to be mightly surprised by the lack of help from our TMs.

Yeah well guest service isn't really the main objective of flow. Gonna be funny watching this backfire on spot...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back