MEGATHREAD $9 minimum wage starts soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is correct. I've read the guide and pulled merit sheets myself today to check. (ETL-HR here).

Sounds like Brian Cornell is trying to turn things around. He's cutting unnecessary positions at HQ and rolling that payroll into where it counts the most.

Also, for all the nay sayers, this bump was planned since December. When the HQ cuts were announced, someone leaked it to Wal Mart after they were hired on, so Wally World was able to beat us and look like the hero.

Call me a kook-aid drinker, but it was a nice year of raises at my store.
I am happy for all of those who are making under 9 an hour. I think its great they will see an increase...but the CEO should have also thought about those who have been with the company for years and or the people who are already over 9 an hour....

Got my review (TM) went from 12.50 to 13.00 from 4% merit increase, did not receive any other pay increase so I am guessing people already above the new minimum are not getting anything other than merit increase (but on the plus side the pay cap has gone up).

Got my review (TM) went from 12.50 to 13.00 from 4% merit increase, did not receive any other pay increase so I am guessing people already above the new minimum are not getting anything other than merit increase (but on the plus side the pay cap has gone up).
Whats the cap in the backroom?

Sometimes when I these companies whine about how they can't afford to pay their employees more I can't help but wonder how other companies manage to pay their people a living wage and survive.
Ben & Jerry's starts their people at $16.13 an hour and they get to take home a couple pints of ice cream after each shift.
It's not like they are going broke.

http://www.benjerry.com/values/how-we-do-business/livable-wages

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/15/ben-and-jerrys-love_n_3726083.html

Just think of how much payroll they save on orientations, hire/fire paperwork, and training hours because they can actually retain their employee's. It sounds like true love to me<3

Labor at a restaurant/fast food chain/ or any business food service related for that matter is easier to control. People are crossed trained and easier to move around. Retail wastes labor because jobs are divided. They can't run the business the same way, in my opinion because of the square footage in the buildings. Think about it, if someone is helping a customer at a small building and finish with someone they just turn around and they are at the register, take five steps over and can do their sidework. At Target that isn't possible. One person can't watch the lanes, zone hardlines, and do their pulls/backstock at the same time. So it naturally requires three bodies. So if the sales aren't there labor sky rockets... paying three people you obviously can't pay them what you would pay one somewhere else. Just a thought.

So is it common for Target to reinstate the pay rate you had prior to leaving, but then returning 2 years later? Was making $8.75, but then all of a sudden my checks started showing my old pay of $9.56. I didn't even notice it since I don't get a paper check stub.

I was talking to some people who said they thought the 9.00 raise was a slap in the face ( hey it's better than nothing I guess) they said 9.00? That's nothing...... I really don't care........ Sure it isn't Trader Joe's or Whole Foods salaries ( It would be nice if we got that much) but 9.00 is a start.

I was talking to some people who said they thought the 9.00 raise was a slap in the face ( hey it's better than nothing I guess) they said 9.00? That's nothing...... I really don't care........ Sure it isn't Trader Joe's or Whole Foods salaries ( It would be nice if we got that much) but 9.00 is a start.
Some people are just never happy and will always want more when they haven't even done anything to deserve more. It's called entitlement mentality. USA is now full of this way of thinking. Our parents and grandparents didn't think like this.

Last edited:
Some people are just never happy and will always want more when they haven't even done anything to deserve more. It's called entitlement mentality. US is now full of this way of thinking. Our parents and grandparents didn't think like this.

Our parents and grandparents actually had it better.
Since their time wages have flattened out while the cost of living hasn't.
The wage gap has increased to the point of the ridiculous and people aren't allowed to stand up for themselves.

My grandfather stood in front armed national guardsman to keep them from taking back the plant he was working in.
My other grandfather was in the Pacific theater during WW II.
They fought for what they believed in and expected to get it.

My father was in the carpenters union, if a company didn't pay a decent wage or tried to screw them -- that was the end of their work force.
They didn't have to do 'more' to deserve 'more', they deserved what they were owed as workers and human beings.
This country seems to forgotten a basic principal, that people are not commodities to be treated like machines or property.

I would be one of those people. It's an insult because it's still less than the base pay we had 15 years ago (after accounting for inflation). The scale for merit raises is still smaller (even before inflation) and the scale for pay increases via promotion are still half of what they were (even before inflation).

It's not really a start. "Too little too late" would be more accurate.

Some people are just never happy and will always want more when they haven't even done anything to deserve more. It's called entitlement mentality. USA is now full of this way of thinking. Our parents and grandparents didn't think like this.

That's because when you account for inflation, your father/grandfather was being paid over $10/hr to flip burgers. Federal minimum wage in 1968 was $1.60. That's worth $10.74 today.

Our parents and grandparents actually had it better.
Since their time wages have flattened out while the cost of living hasn't.
The wage gap has increased to the point of the ridiculous and people aren't allowed to stand up for themselves.

My grandfather stood in front armed national guardsman to keep them from taking back the plant he was working in.
My other grandfather was in the Pacific theater during WW II.
They fought for what they believed in and expected to get it.

My father was in the carpenters union, if a company didn't pay a decent wage or tried to screw them -- that was the end of their work force.
They didn't have to do 'more' to deserve 'more', they deserved what they were owed as workers and human beings.
This country seems to forgotten a basic principal, that people are not commodities to be treated like machines or property.
This is so weird, my sociology class was just talking about this today. To add on to this, people had decent paying jobs at factories until most of them were moved overseas to save money.

I would be one of those people. It's an insult because it's still less than the base pay we had 15 years ago (after accounting for inflation). The scale for merit raises is still smaller (even before inflation) and the scale for pay increases via promotion are still half of what they were (even before inflation).

It's not really a start. "Too little too late" would be more accurate.

That's because when you account for inflation, your father/grandfather was being paid over $10/hr to flip burgers. Federal minimum wage in 1968 was $1.60. That's worth $10.74 today.
Yes it is a start. They increased pay for a whold bunch of people, dont like it quit. That simple. They are going to be abls to hire someone to replace you very quick and pay them less than you. It is progress to increase minimum pay, as well as it increasing the max someone can earn as well.

I always love the 'if you don't like it quit' approach to any critic of a companies poor handling of situations.
That's as bad as the people who say "America, Love it or Leave it."
You can care about the country you live in or the place you work and still see serious problems with the way it handles things.
There are people on this board who have worked for Spot for more than a decade and they see this raise as being problematic when it seems to ignore them.

Many of them have been capped for years getting pennies in raises when they have been loyal to the company.
They have every right in the world to feel cheated and mistreated.
If Spot gave everybody raises across the board so that the levels would be in accordance that would be one thing but that's not happening.

I always love the 'if you don't like it quit' approach to any critic of a companies poor handling of situations.
That's as bad as the people who say "America, Love it or Leave it."
You can care about the country you live in or the place you work and still see serious problems with the way it handles things.
There are people on this board who have worked for Spot for more than a decade and they see this raise as being problematic when it seems to ignore them.

Many of them have been capped for years getting pennies in raises when they have been loyal to the company.
They have every right in the world to feel cheated and mistreated.
If Spot gave everybody raises across the board so that the levels would be in accordance that would be one thing but that's not happening.

Amen!!!!
I asked my hr tm today what was going on. Basically, if you make over 9.00 you aren't getting diddly. And if you are capped out in your workcenter you won't get diddly for a raise either. I do believe I'm in both of those situations. Me and Target may be parting ways very soon. idk, I'm not sure yet what to do.... Sometimes the grass looks greener elsewhere but it's really not.

This is so weird, my sociology class was just talking about this today. To add on to this, people had decent paying jobs at factories until most of them were moved overseas to save money.
If target could somehow outsource their store TMs overseas for lower wages, they'd do it. And so would every other big box retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back