MEGATHREAD $9 minimum wage starts soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got EX overall. EX in everything except for the category about "Answering all calls for back-up cashiers" because I am notorious for not responding for backup.

Got an .89 cent raise from 9.25 to 10.14.

I'm actually going to respond for back-up now because HELLO I'M GETTING PAID A REASONABLE AMOUNT FOR RETAIL.

I got an inconsistently effective which amounted to a 2% raise, which came to roughly 20 cents. I went from $10.20 to $10.40. Been on flow for nearly five years and during the time had three different ETL's. Received very nice reviews from the first two ETL's, but my current ETL has now given me IE for the last two years - both because he claims I talk too much. His example of talking too much is (true example) when I came back from vacation and a team member in market asked me if I had a nice time, and I said that I did. I felt I got the short-end of the stick until everyone on flow revealed they ALL got inconsistently effective, except for the team lead's buddy.

The funny part is we clear our trucks every day, stay until they're done, and our ETL and STL keep telling us how wonderful we are and how vital we are to our store's process.

I got an inconsistently effective which amounted to a 2% raise, which came to roughly 20 cents. I went from $10.20 to $10.40. Been on flow for nearly five years and during the time had three different ETL's. Received very nice reviews from the first two ETL's, but my current ETL has now given me IE for the last two years - both because he claims I talk too much. His example of talking too much is (true example) when I came back from vacation and a team member in market asked me if I had a nice time, and I said that I did. I felt I got the short-end of the stick until everyone on flow revealed they ALL got inconsistently effective, except for the team lead's buddy.

The funny part is we clear our trucks every day, stay until they're done, and our ETL and STL keep telling us how wonderful we are and how vital we are to our store's process.

I know there are some districts that had their budgets slashed hard. Lots of people ended up getting IE's instead of E's or E's instead of EX's.

When is this raise supposed to take effect? HR had told me the first paycheck of May. No. It's not even acknowledge at targetpayandbenefits.com.

The paycheck I'm receiving tomorrow has the new raise on it. Probably varies on your pay period.

Shame the CEO at Target couldn't be as forward thinking as the CEO of AETNA.
When he discovered that many of the people who worked in his call centers had to get food stamps and assistance to survive he raised the base pay to $16 an hour.
He said that having having employees who aren't stressed out about paying their bills will mean more profits but, and this is the part I loved, even if it doesn't mean more profits it's the right thing to do.

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/30/40325...s-wages-for-lowest-paid-workers-to-16-an-hour

Prospects for low-wage workers at some large companies have improved recently as both Walmart and McDonald's announced pay hikes, but one of the most significant announcements came at Aetna.

The large insurance company raised the pay of its low-wage workers to $16 an hour this month. Aetna's CEO Mark Bertolini says he believes the raise could largely pay for itself by making workers more productive.

The pay raise will affect 5,700 of Aetna's lowest-paid workers, including those like Kally Dunn at its call center in Fresno, Calif. The veteran employee teaches newcomers how to handle calls, sometimes from irate customers who can't make sense of what's covered and what's not.

"When they call, they're just ... they're angry," Dunn says. "And so it's just a lot of de-escalating, calming them down, um, you know — reassuring them."

It can be stressful work, and many low-wage workers already live stressful lives trying to make ends meet. So when all these workers got their pay raise last Friday, it was a big deal, says Dunn's co-worker, 33-year-old Fabian Arredondo.
Bertolini in convinced that's true.

"We wanted people at the front lines who took care of our customers to not have the kind of stress associated with being able to provide health coverage for their families and food for their families, worrying while they were on the job." he says. "To make sure that they were bringing their best selves to work every day."

As Bertolini and his executive team worked to understand what challenges their low-wage workers face, they discovered that to make ends meet many were on public assistance, such as food stamps, or Medicaid for their children.

Bertolini says he was taken aback shocked "that we as a thriving organization, as a successful company, a Fortune 100 company, should have people that were living like that among the ranks of our employees."

Bertolini was committed to changing that, but he discovered the cost of boosting compensation for his low-paid workers would be significant — about $27 million a year.

But he also found that research shows there are costs associated with paying low wages. Low-paid workers quit more often, and the turnover is expensive. There's also evidence higher-paid employees provide better customer service. Bertolini thought the potential benefits could offset the $27 million cost and improve his company's profits in the long run.
Bertolini says even if it doesn't boost profits — and maybe even if it costs the company something — raising wages is still the right thing to do.

"There definitely is a moral component and, you know, I had plenty of arguments that the spreadsheet wouldn't pencil out," he says. "And my view was, in the end analysis, this is just not fair."

The Aetna plan also makes sure to boost employee earnings enough that, even if they are no longer eligible for public aid they were relying on, they still come out with more disposable income.

Bertolini says Aetna's shareholders have gotten behind the idea.

"We positioned it with them on the economics first, but went to this very notion of 'this isn't fair,' " he says. "We need to invest in our employees. We need to help restore the middle class, and that should be good for the economy as a whole. And so for us it is as much — probably, for me personally, more — a moral argument than it is a financial one."

Walmart did raise wage to $9.00 but they also say it will go up to $10.00 by February next year......so will Target match that too and we will get another raise next year?

ncc1701st: 189772 said:
Walmart did raise wage to $9.00 but they also say it will go up to $10.00 by February next year......so will Target match that too and we will get another raise next year?
My STL told me that Target would reevaluate compensation next year. While it was surprising how quickly (for Target) Target jumped on the $9/hr bandwagon, I don't see that happening without a lot of media attention to get to $10/hr.

One of my GSAs who has 3+ yrs of Target experience makes .63 more than I do. I've been with Target for a few mos and am in an area where new hires start at less than $8/hr. Target couldn't even bump her over $10/hr. So they aren't going to willingly match Wally's wages...sigh

@commiecorvus @Retail Girl How much do your GSA's make at your stores? We used to make .50 + base, but have all been bumped up to $12 for the GSA role. I see a lot of other stores are still making the (.50 + base for the GSA rank) so I was curious to see if any other stores were paying their GSA's 12/13 base.

Sorry not hanging with Spot anymore.
My info is going to be out of date.
The GSA's were supposed to only make .50 over the cashiers but of the four we had they all made at least a 1.00 more.

A Minnesota law requires a new minimum wage. $9.00 by August 2015 (hence our 'surprise' $9.00 hike this year - THANK YOU TARGET! lol) and then raised to $9.50 by August 2016.

I imagine this time next year there will be a raise to at least $9.50 company wide. Probably $10 if Walmart goes that route.

One of my store's GSAs makes $9.78. As she put it, a penny less than one of our SB TMs. She wasn't smiling when she said that either.

I'm hearing that people at Walmart will get the $10.00 an hour, but that no one will be able to work more than 20 hours a week. So, if this is true then the $10.00 starting wage won't help out very much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back