Archived About those seasonal TMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Dumb shit seasonal noobs do"
Take out the new style maven shipper with a pallet because you think it will fit between the aisle and it before the store was opened.

We had one take an hour long break them look confused when she was confronted about it. We actually didn't have the coverage in softlines to term her for about a week.

Probably for the better she got the axe, she was killing morale

Some of my favorite things I've seen seasonal people do over the years:

- There was a guy who, for men, would make up a name and only call you that. So if your name was Charlie, he might call you Robbie. He'd use real names, and would always use the same name on the same person. What a shock when nobody would answer him. It was slightly worse for women because he'd call all of them Jackie. The real Jackie didn't like it at all, although it probably wasn't due to her since he never really saw her, just a coincidence. I was glad to see him go because he creeped me out.

- I was training a new hire on how to zone hardlines. We started in section A (chemicals, pets, H&B), which had around 50 isles. After we did aisles 1 and 2 together, he disappeared when I was zoning aisle 3, so I had to go look for him after I finished it. I found him in aisle A 30 or so. When I asked him why he was there, he answered, "I'm done, man! I zoned all of these aisles!"

- After being able to work on his own, a TM filled a shopping cart with abandon and pushed it around the store for about 2 hours, doing nothing.

- One TM would work items from the pull carts an armfull at a time, never moving the cart from the line. When I asked him why he didn't take the cart with him, he told me that he didn't want to.

- During a remodel we had a girl who worked backroom day, meaning she was back there by herself most of the time. Whenever a regular TM would enter the back room, she would be standing around doing nothing, and very shortly after we'd hear her PDA make the reboot sound. She told us that it locked up. Strange how it would lock up every time someone would walk by, giving her a convenient excuse to wait for 3 minutes. One day the flow TL printed out the BRLA report, hid it behind an aisle sheet, and individually told us to take a look. Most people's accuracy was in the 95% or higher range, much lower than usual, but Target's system allows innocent people to get flagged. Then we saw the new girl at around 25%. Apparently she had been scanning the location and M-deleting in just about every batch. She'd pull a token few items, thinking we wouldn't catch on. When she stopped coming to work we had to locu the entire backroom. The pulls the next day were among the biggest I'd ever seen, and almost everything went out. PAPR was 4 flatbeds, and there was zero backstock.

- I was training an older person on SFS and he had a memory to rival that of a goldfish or turnip. Even after 6 hours, I still had to tell him where to scan on the collate, to scan the cart, etc... If an order had more than 1 item, after he took the second item from the cart he'd put the first one back. When I asked him why he did that he said he didn't know. Me and the reverse logistics person told the STL and he got moved to the sales floor.

- Not a seasonal person, but there was a woman who was frequently put on SFS and she was the slowest person I've ever seen in my life. One day she was scheduled to work from 6-10 AM and I worked from 10 on. When I got there there was nothing packed, and the only things picked was one cart with 21 items in it. 9 of them were towels from the same aisle. She told me that the things were hard to find, although there were no unlocated softlines items in it. On other days I would frequently see her on her phone when she thought nobody was looking. I took a picture of the cart, showed the ETL-Log, and she has never worked SFS since.

I got hired late September, but due to our HR confusing the dates and not calling me on time I actually started the week before black Friday. I only got like 3 days of training, and not even that would prepare me for black Friday week. It was probably the most anxiety filled day for me, the first day by myself. I had to work fitting room and was never trained for that, so of course I had no idea that I had to zone pole-to-pole, get go backs all day, and zone shoes. all I knew was that I had to answer phones and do guest service. so glad I ended up getting a few minutes of training by a co-worker who is probably the only one that's been the nicest and most helpful. there's a few others, but this girl in particular always works fitting so she knows pretty much everything and actually was happy to help. whereas the others just seemed a little annoyed, and I could understand why because it's a stressful week. plus the help from this website because without this or that girls help, I'd still be lost.

guess what I'm trying to say is my actual trainer wasn't the best and I wasn't too happy that they threw me in so late.

so my store just hired another batch of seasonals at the last minute...so many of them have already been termed or quit and retaining good people even for a full 90 days has been an absolute bitch this year. to be fair at least a couple of them quit for a good reason (needing to care for an incapacitated loved one, etc.) but still, getting stuck pushing 5 flats of toys by myself is getting super old. At this rate leadership won't even have to do the seasonal reduction purge in January because the seasonals will take care of it themselves!!

I remember during my interview they asked "So where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and I said "At Target making lots of money" (lmao). I guess I'm the only one

Oh where do I start?

How you pack stuff, basics like, you don't shove two packs of mason jars in a box and call it good.. You have to wrap picture frames and pad them so the glass does not break. They don't have any thinking skills that "if I drop this box will the glass break?" they don't ask that question.

That boxes have top sides and bottom sides. You don't wad shirts up and throw them in a bag, you fold that shirt. You don't wad up the white shipping bags, you fold over the top. I know this might be a bit picky but shows attention to detail and they fail at this big time..

We really can't leave these people alone for a second, like you set up the area and pallets for the boxes to get stacked before we move them to load the truck. Nope they grab other pallets that where they put them you can't physically get the pallet to the truck to load.. When asked why they didn't use what you set up. "We didn't see it, maybe I should look around more."

Boiled all that down, they don't ask questions. And the mistakes made by not asking questions is staggering.

I'm one of the only seasonal softlines that ACTUALLY DOES THE JOB RIGHT. the other two for softlines are lazy, rude, and half-ass their zones.

Tonight was the last straw, i CANNOT wait for the purge of seasonals to happen. I got left babysitting 3 of them tonight with specific instructions, and none of them could follow simple orders.

First one i told specifically to backstock beds, bath, and domestics, that was it, that was all he had to do. I catch him 2 hours later backstocking shoes, and when i asked him why he snapped at me and told me i should of told him that softlines wasn't our responsibility earlier. When the fuck did shoes suddenly get grouped in beds, bath and random rugs? The cherry on top, later he's walking a hardlines tm around trying to explain the aisle numbers, and then tries to crack a joke with me about how THEY don't get it, like WHAT motherfucker you thought shoes was on your to do list. Literally the blind leading the blind uggghhh

Second one i had making bales and clearing cardboard, 20 mins in and i catch her breaking apart cardboard with her hands, like tearing it apart like an animal. So i grab her a knife and assumed that she would figure it out, NOPE, i come back and she's still tearing apart boxes with her hands.

Third one was SO fucking slow, she kept picking an item off of a separate tub to backstock all night.

With how swamped i was with 3 oclock pulls being 8 hours, backroom calls going crazy, a new cart attendant who couldn't locate anything even if i lead him right to the spot, and having to clear an already cramped backroom to set the line for tomorrow's double truck, i just didn't have time to watch 3 idiots who i assumed had an ounce of common sense.

Holy fucking burnt marshmallow in the ahole day ughhhh

I guess this can be the "Dumb shit seasonal noobs do" general thread?

One of my favorite noobs got termed today for shoplifting a couple packs of Lunchables, needless to say I'm p. steamed about it. The AP guy and LOD pulled him into the office and confronted him and he admitted that he swiped them and that it was because he was broke. so I'm pissed for 2 reasons, the first being that he was a good worker, fast learner and probably on track for after-season retention, and secondly that his fucking pride stopped him from asking me or someone else for 5 bucks. Great job fam, now you're unemployed but at least your precious ego is intact!

:mad:

Just saying he might of stepped on someone toes and didn't know it , most likely that particular AP TM so they watched and finally got their moment. Or the AP TM got lucky and wanted to prove their selfs

Trained 4 seasonals for flow, two for salesfloor...they all are doing okay and I wish they would keep them all but year to year is hard to judge on how many they can keep. I know seasonals from last year that arent as good but they show up everyday and dont call out much so its a pain to find a good reason to let them go...=( I dont want them to lose their job I just know some of our seasonals are better suited for the job and we have slightly lazy or slow folks who cant compare. So oddly frustrating.

(Edit: we have way more seasonal hires than that it's just the 6 I trained and I SUCK at training. They were just good at catching on.)

2nd edit: I'd like to give a huge shoutout to all the new TMs using this site as a guide. It's been a quick 2 years for me at Target and I wish I knew it all. I remember being new and I hope you adjust well!~~~

Last edited:
If anyone can beat this Ill be impressed-

We hired a flow seasonal TM. They get assigned an area and is expected to work the boxes in that area. They work maybe 8 boxes (more if the ETL or TL babysits) in 2 hours. Consistent bathroom breaks in that time frame. Then in 2 hours takes their 15 minute break. Instead of coming back like a good TM they come back 10 minutes after break ended. Works about the same until lunch. Then because we dont schedule them longer than 5 hours. They take the last 15 minutes of their shift taking another break then clocks out to go home. We haven't termed them yet because we aren't getting a ton of applications for flow.

We hired a flow seasonal TM. They get assigned an area and is expected to work the boxes in that area. They work maybe 8 boxes (more if the ETL or TL babysits) in 2 hours. Consistent bathroom breaks in that time frame. Then in 2 hours takes their 15 minute break. Instead of coming back like a good TM they come back 10 minutes after break ended. Works about the same until lunch. Then because we dont schedule them longer than 5 hours. They take the last 15 minutes of their shift taking another break then clocks out to go home. We haven't termed them yet because we aren't getting a ton of applications for flow.

thankfully at my store the TLs don't babysit, if it gets to that point they just shitcan their ass, coverage be damned. Which I think is the right way to do it. Ain't got time for your dilly dally, you fuckin sally.

That's not to say they don't give people who had a rough start at least a chance to show improvement (one of our flow noobs got chewed out for being too slow on the line but ever since then he's started hustling) but if you actually have to eyeball somebody to make sure they take a box from point A to point B, well that's just absurd and a huge waste of our time

You fire this person because they are a) hurting morale and b) stealing money by taking extra breaks

Even without applicants my store would use those hours in hardlines and have someone come in at 6am to push.

This is funny seeing these still up

Attachments

• 1513023102102741633754.jpg
    1513023102102741633754.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
This season, there's the seasonal hire who met me just a couple weeks ago and calls me "dear" (and he's not elderly or even older than I am). Last season, there was the one who hired in on flow and was scheduled to help with ad set one week. I was asked to show her the ropes for ad - not exactly rocket science, right? Turns out, she couldn't read the shelf location schematic, which supposedly she'd been using for weeks because it's on the pick labels on boxes. She'd read the words on the tag and look around until she thought she found it, and THEN check the shelf location. I'm a pretty patient teacher, and I tried repeatedly to show her how the numbers worked to find the correct location - don't think she ever did really get it.

I can't wait until my cataract surgery in Feb.

I'll finally be able to SEE all those goddamm tiny numbers!

Plus, all those fine wimmins...

I'm guessing this guy is related to the Flow people who push out a 3-tier of random stuff destined for all areas of the store, start working out some things then...disappear. Not sure if they're seasonal or what (I'm seasonal and don't know many of the Flow people except that one guy who has never done this), but I was super cranky one night attempting to zone seasonal with 4 carts of abandoned crap. I worked out the seasonal stuff but didn't have time to do a Tour de Store for the rest of it.

I've been reading this thread with interest--most of the complaints are either not things I would do (because I have something resembling a work ethic and have worked retail and dealt with the cardboard tsunamis) or couldn't do (my store has a BR team, so we don't do backstock), but I've learned a few things that I will pay more attention to in the future. I am probably the slowest zoner on the planet because NOTHING IS WHERE IT FUCKING BELONGS and I'm not capable of just ignoring that so if I end up in a section that hasn't been zoned in awhile it will take some time to get everything where it belongs and not just stuffed wherever. People are seriously allergic backstock in my store, for some damn reason, and some people apparently can't be bothered to check locations on anything they put out. I'm sick of losing sales and disappointing people when I know we have something in the store but I can't fucking find it anywhere near where it belongs and it's a big damn store. If guests were assholes that might help, but they're all super nice about it, and I feel bad.

Oh, and Target? If you're going to put a bunch of games on a shipper, maybe you could identify those as not on the floor yet instead of treating them as though they should be on the floor? Just sayin'.

Tonight was the last straw, i CANNOT wait for the purge of seasonals to happen. I got left babysitting 3 of them tonight with specific instructions, and none of them could follow simple orders.

First one i told specifically to backstock beds, bath, and domestics, that was it, that was all he had to do. I catch him 2 hours later backstocking shoes, and when i asked him why he snapped at me and told me i should of told him that softlines wasn't our responsibility earlier. When the fuck did shoes suddenly get grouped in beds, bath and random rugs? The cherry on top, later he's walking a hardlines tm around trying to explain the aisle numbers, and then tries to crack a joke with me about how THEY don't get it, like WHAT motherfucker you thought shoes was on your to do list. Literally the blind leading the blind uggghhh

Second one i had making bales and clearing cardboard, 20 mins in and i catch her breaking apart cardboard with her hands, like tearing it apart like an animal. So i grab her a knife and assumed that she would figure it out, NOPE, i come back and she's still tearing apart boxes with her hands.

Third one was SO fucking slow, she kept picking an item off of a separate tub to backstock all night.

With how swamped i was with 3 oclock pulls being 8 hours, backroom calls going crazy, a new cart attendant who couldn't locate anything even if i lead him right to the spot, and having to clear an already cramped backroom to set the line for tomorrow's double truck, i just didn't have time to watch 3 idiots who i assumed had an ounce of common sense.

Holy fucking burnt marshmallow in the ahole day ughhhh

#1 and #2 are fucking hilarious.

But for #1, we got this seasonal TM who used to work at Walmart and apparently in his words, he ran the front end over there(he brings that up a lot). This motherfucker acting like a TL having other seasonal TMs do his work. And they follow this idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back