Archived AE 2012 - Team Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the focus is more on opening stores in Canada - I think it's a waste of resources. I really wonder if the strategy will be the same in those stores as far as executives, and team leaders and such. I wonder about the pricing strategy since the tax structure is different from the USA.

I have read that Target will not be operating the pharmacies in Canada, they are seeking franchisees.

I think the focus is more on opening stores in Canada - I think it's a waste of resources. I really wonder if the strategy will be the same in those stores as far as executives, and team leaders and such. I wonder about the pricing strategy since the tax structure is different from the USA.

They are GROSSLY over budget on Target Canada. I keep hearing 100 million.

ETLs? That is also a dying bread. I would love to watch Target self destruct without Team Leads. I mean the company has pretty much been in a complete tail spin the last few years so this would just ad to it. If I wanted to save money I would get rid of all the worthless "buisiness partners" at all levels and get rid of 3/4 of the DTLs they are also pretty worthless anymore.

To be honest I think the stores could work decently without most Team Leads. Lets be honest here, how many of your Team Leads could be axed and the store would be fine without them? I can think of a handful at my store, and my store is pretty good.

To be honest I think the stores could work decently without most Team Leads. Lets be honest here, how many of your Team Leads could be axed and the store would be fine without them? I can think of a handful at my store, and my store is pretty good.

LOL.. please are you serious?? TL's keep the stores running and functioning... without them, everything falls apart, esp when there are new ETL's and they don't know ANYTHING about their area. Plus without TL's the ETL's would have nobody to blame for their mistakes after DTL visits.. the TL's take the fall most of the time, even when it's not their fault. TL's put up with a lot of crap and criticism.

LOL.. please are you serious?? TL's keep the stores running and functioning... without them, everything falls apart, esp when there are new ETL's and they don't know ANYTHING about their area. Plus without TL's the ETL's would have nobody to blame for their mistakes after DTL visits.. the TL's take the fall most of the time, even when it's not their fault. TL's put up with a lot of crap and criticism.

Team leads do take a lot of crap. I long for the old days when the STL/ETL's and team leads used to work together and supported each other. Now it is a "blame game."

there are a few team leaders at my store that keep the store running and do the lions share of the work. There are a few that don't have a clue what 'work ethic' actually entails and have a hard time even spelling, much less accomplishing anything on their own. So, if I could choose - the lazy ones could exit the front door. We'd be further ahead in the long run.

I think he's saying that the position could be removed and then someone with the etl title that actually knew how to work could cover the responsibilities of tl and etl. That's probably true, but it's also true that currently its the teamleads (usually about 2 to 3 of the good ones in every store) that are doing a majority of the work and keep the store running.

TLs, at least at my store, plug the holes in the ETL net. Sometimes they're the ones running the floor when there's not an ETL to be found.

If I had to choose between my ETLs & my TLs, it would be an even split. Half of both are time-tested & hard-working.
The other half, ehhhhhh.....

I think he's saying that the position could be removed and then someone with the etl title that actually knew how to work could cover the responsibilities of tl and etl. That's probably true, but it's also true that currently its the teamleads (usually about 2 to 3 of the good ones in every store) that are doing a majority of the work and keep the store running.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Target has four columns of leadership expectations... Personal, Team, Thought, and Results... Sure there might be a few TLs who keep the store running because of their ability to get results or their knowledge of the store, but I feel a lot of TMs overlook what their leaders bring to the store in terms of personal leadership and team leadership! Trust me, I know it sounds cheesy, but I have learned from experience that most of the times a leader who seems like they don't do much might just have a focus in another expectation! I know an ETL who seems like she doesn't do anything but walk around and doesn't do any projects herself, but in all reality her major focus is on managing talent... which is something most TMs won't see! Those same leaders who "keep the store running" probably have an opportunity as well! I can drive for results and run the best area ever, but maybe I am terrible at collaborating with other leaders and that can hurt morale... I guess my point is, remember knowing the most or doing the most work yourself isn't necessarily going to equate to being the "best" leader!

Target has four columns of leadership expectations... Personal, Team, Thought, and Results... Sure there might be a few TLs who keep the store running because of their ability to get results or their knowledge of the store, but I feel a lot of TMs overlook what their leaders bring to the store in terms of personal leadership and team leadership! Trust me, I know it sounds cheesy, but I have learned from experience that most of the times a leader who seems like they don't do much might just have a focus in another expectation! I know an ETL who seems like she doesn't do anything but walk around and doesn't do any projects herself, but in all reality her major focus is on managing talent... which is something most TMs won't see! Those same leaders who "keep the store running" probably have an opportunity as well! I can drive for results and run the best area ever, but maybe I am terrible at collaborating with other leaders and that can hurt morale... I guess my point is, remember knowing the most or doing the most work yourself isn't necessarily going to equate to being the "best" leader!

I completely agree with you on this!!!
Round of applause for you.

While this is true you do have to wonder what leadership expectation they are working on when they are in TSC talking about Twilight or Big Bang Theory, texting constantly or walking in a group of 3 or 4 while callnig for a shoe pick up and asking the team (of 1) who's got that call box.

While this is true you do have to wonder what leadership expectation they are working on when they are in TSC talking about Twilight or Big Bang Theory, texting constantly or walking in a group of 3 or 4 while callnig for a shoe pick up and asking the team (of 1) who's got that call box.

I wanna sign up for the etl position that isn't responsible for results. I wanna walk around chatting people up and getting their spirits high! I wanna make people feel gosh darn good about themselves so that they slave away without getting uppity!

Serioulsy...rocklobster brings up some altruistic points. But everytime this crap happens at my store, it's some new person who ends up putting people off and their talent management ends up moving everybody around in a way that throws a wrench into the gears.

I wanna sign up for the etl position that isn't responsible for results. I wanna walk around chatting people up and getting their spirits high! I wanna make people feel gosh darn good about themselves so that they slave away without getting uppity!

Serioulsy...rocklobster brings up some altruistic points. But everytime this crap happens at my store, it's some new person who ends up putting people off and their talent management ends up moving everybody around in a way that throws a wrench into the gears.

Everyone thinks they can do their boss's job better... Trust me, I feel the same way a lot of times about my ETLs! I always have to stop and tell myself to not make assumptions about another person's job if I haven't done it yet, and that there is probably more that goes into it than everyone thinks! I'm not saying there aren't bad apples at Target... I actually have no doubt that some stores get unlucky and get a few bad people in their store at the same time (which sucks)... The only reason I look forward to moving to that level at this point (and the reason I think it will be easier) is that I don't have to stay under 40 hours to get everything done!

Everyone thinks they can do their boss's job better... Trust me, I feel the same way a lot of times about my ETLs! I always have to stop and tell myself to not make assumptions about another person's job if I haven't done it yet, and that there is probably more that goes into it than everyone thinks! I'm not saying there aren't bad apples at Target... I actually have no doubt that some stores get unlucky and get a few bad people in their store at the same time (which sucks)... The only reason I look forward to moving to that level at this point (and the reason I think it will be easier) is that I don't have to stay under 40 hours to get everything done!

Like.

The only time I make complaints about someone else's job is when I have done that job already.

So if we have done the job and better do we get to comment? Some ETL's (also TL's and TM's) are good, some are complete trash. The thing that gets me is when they offer nothing. I am not talking about that cool ass AP-ETL you might have who doesn't do any physical work but raises morale around the store, listens to you vent, gives advice and tells you when you are right or wrong. I am not talking about that LOG-ETL who is sweating more than 90% of his team to get the job done. I am not even talking about the HL-ETL who teaches you the in's and out's of the business and develops you to become a better leader/worker/whatever. I am talking about that lazy ass ETL who walks around like they are royalty and brings nothing to the table. No leadership, no knowledge, no social interaction, no development and the list goes on.

Naw, I didn't say I could do the job better nor would I have any intention too. Idk I just felt like the four branches of leadership post was a little wishy washy, that's all.

I was thinking about it while I was jogging today...how my store has had the cheerleader etl-hr who obviously were focusing on raising morale and trying to brighten everybody up. Granted this girl was a hot 10/10, but it ended up having negative results. IMHO, most people felt like we have this girl who was obviously hired for looks, is boring and unintelligent, has nothing interesting or meaningful to offer, and yet she is leaching off of everybodies hard work, and while our hours are getting cut, our perks are being taken away, our favorite teamleaders being fired, here this idiot is making 3 times as much as us and her only responsibility is to cheer lead.

Suprisingly the scenario didn't make us feel good, it kind of made us sick to our stomachs.

So if we have done the job and better do we get to comment? Some ETL's (also TL's and TM's) are good, some are complete trash. The thing that gets me is when they offer nothing. I am not talking about that cool ass AP-ETL you might have who doesn't do any physical work but raises morale around the store, listens to you vent, gives advice and tells you when you are right or wrong. I am not talking about that LOG-ETL who is sweating more than 90% of his team to get the job done. I am not even talking about the HL-ETL who teaches you the in's and out's of the business and develops you to become a better leader/worker/whatever. I am talking about that lazy ass ETL who walks around like they are royalty and brings nothing to the table. No leadership, no knowledge, no social interaction, no development and the list goes on.

This! and then they realize they are crap so the try to compensate and justify their existence by "focusing" on some retarded thing. How about no?!?!

Which is why I said I wasn't denying the fact that there are definitely bad apples in leadership like you said... Every place will have a boss that just doesn't seem to deserve their position and Target is no exception for sure! I just think sometimes we blow it out of proportion and let one bad ETL ruin our view of the whole bunch if that makes sense?

Naw, I didn't say I could do the job better nor would I have any intention too. Idk I just felt like the four branches of leadership post was a little wishy washy, that's all.

I was thinking about it while I was jogging today...how my store has had the cheerleader etl-hr who obviously were focusing on raising morale and trying to brighten everybody up. Granted this girl was a hot 10/10, but it ended up having negative results. IMHO, most people felt like we have this girl who was obviously hired for looks, is boring and unintelligent, has nothing interesting or meaningful to offer, and yet she is leaching off of everybodies hard work, and while our hours are getting cut, our perks are being taken away, our favorite teamleaders being fired, here this idiot is making 3 times as much as us and her only responsibility is to cheer lead.

Suprisingly the scenario didn't make us feel good, it kind of made us sick to our stomachs.

I could give you a non-wishy washy answer but I don't want to come off mean :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back