Archived AE 2012 - Team Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of our logistics TL's have keys.

Always thought that was a bit excessive...

And by logistics, I mean Plano TL, Pricing TL, Flow TL, and Backroom/Instocks TL. All have keys.

As well as our 3 other SrTLs.

And 4 ETL's.

And STL.

We have a lot of keys.

Last edited:
Honestly, I always thought it was nuts that TLs didn't have more keys. I don't mean keys to the store or alarm codes, but IMO, TLs should have keys to equipment and pretty much everything else except the cash office and actual doors to get in/out of the store.

I mean, at my store they don't even trust the TLs to get freaking walkie talkies out of the equipment cabinet. If you can't trust your TLs even that much, then honestly they shouldn't be TLs to begin with.

For fu**s sake, my store even has a cabinet in the backroom that requires an ETLs key to open. What is in the cabinet you ask? Box cutters. Those cheap metallic slider cutters. If a backroom TM (or any other TM) needs one, they have to call the LOD and wait sometimes upwards of 15 mins. Really? A TL can't handle getting those? I wonder how much payroll is wasted company wide if you were to add up all the minutes TMs stand waiting around to get equipment when a nearby TL could easily handle it.

Last edited:
Honestly, I always thought it was nuts that TLs didn't have more keys. I don't mean keys to the store or alarm codes, but IMO, TLs should have keys to equipment and pretty much everything else except the cash office and actual doors to get in/out of the store.

I mean, at my store they don't even trust the TLs to get freaking walkie talkies out of the equipment cabinet. If you can't trust your TLs even that much, then honestly they shouldn't be TLs to begin with.

For fu**s sake, my store even has a cabinet in the backroom that requires an ETLs key to open. What is in the cabinet you ask? Box cutters. Those cheap metallic slider cutters. If a backroom TM (or any other TM) needs one, they have to call the LOD and wait sometimes upwards of 15 mins. Really? A TL can't handle getting those? I wonder how much payroll is wasted company wide if you were to add up all the minutes TMs stand waiting around to get equipment when a nearby TL could easily handle it.

I think that Target should just make the PG15 TLs into key carriers... And I don't mean every Bakery TL, Deli TL etc... I just mean that they have been promoting PG13 TLs to PG15, but it doesn't come with any more responsibility? They should just be key carriers IMO, they can't do LOD shifts while the store is open by themselves still, but they can grab stuff for the LOD pretty easily!

The box cutters are supposed to be secure, not that most stores do. My store has them in the receiver's lock desk. They do not come easy either. It is the principle of the thing, not to save a buck We GIVE you something to use to help do your job. Be responsible and don't loose it 6 times a day.

The box cutters are supposed to be secure, not that most stores do. My store has them in the receiver's lock desk. They do not come easy either. It is the principle of the thing, not to save a buck We GIVE you something to use to help do your job. Be responsible and don't loose it 6 times a day.

Ok, never said they shouldn't be locked up at all did I? Only that realistically those things probably cost 5 cents each bought in bulk, and there is no reason a TL couldn't be trusted with handing them out. It shouldn't take an ETL 15 mins to get all the way from the front of the store to the back, burning payroll the entire time, when a TL nearby (i.e. backroom TL or electronics TL at my store) could easily handle it. If a store can't trust a TL the responsibility of handing out a 5 cent box cutter, then something is seriously wrong.

FYI - let's assume a TM makes $9/hour. If it takes 15 mins for an ETL to get back there while a TM is waiting, that means the company just burned $2.25 in wages for a TM to stand and do nothing because they were worried a 5 cent box cutter might go missing. In other words, the store just spent 45 times as much money as they would have just to let a TL that is 20 seconds away handle it and risk that maybe something would happen to the 5 cent box cutter.

Let's pretend this situation happens just once a week at every store in the company and just say we have 1000 stores. That means the company collectively wasted $2250 in one weeks time of payroll being wasted while TMs stood around waiting for a box cutter. And if not a box cutter, they probably were standing around for some other equipment. Over an entire year, the company would burn $108,000 just for TMs standing around for equipment once a week for 15 mins..... and the worst part of all of this? TMs aren't standing around for 15 mins waiting for equipment just once a week.... It is probably happening several times daily at most stores in the company.

Now, let's pretend that the box cutters could easily be obtained by a TL who is in the area. Let's assume that in those 1000 stores 10,000 TMs lost their box cutters in the course of a year. How much is the cost to the company? $500. Assuming a ridiculous amount of TMs lost the damn 5 cent box cutters. (and they are probably even cheaper than that)

Moral of the story? Lost payroll is more expensive than lost box cutters. In other words, it's freaking waste of money to have TMs have to wait for a box cutter while an ETL makes their way to the damn lock box. You say it's the "principle of the thing". Well, the principle is damn expensive. This is a stupid as some guy spending $20,000 in attorneys fees to sue someone who stole his $200 power drill out of his truck for the $200 it cost to get a new one just for the "principle" of the matter.

Last edited:

Ok, never said they shouldn't be locked up at all did I? Only that realistically those things probably cost 5 cents each bought in bulk, and there is no reason a TL couldn't be trusted with handing them out. It shouldn't take an ETL 15 mins to get all the way from the front of the store to the back, burning payroll the entire time, when a TL nearby (i.e. backroom TL or electronics TL at my store) could easily handle it. If a store can't trust a TL the responsibility of handing out a 5 cent box cutter, then something is seriously wrong.

FYI - let's assume a TM makes $9/hour. If it takes 15 mins for an ETL to get back there while a TM is waiting, that means the company just burned $2.25 in wages for a TM to stand and do nothing because they were worried a 5 cent box cutter might go missing. In other words, the store just spent 45 times as much money as they would have just to let a TL that is 20 seconds away handle it and risk that maybe something would happen to the 5 cent box cutter.

Let's pretend this situation happens just once a week at every store in the company and just say we have 1000 stores. That means the company collectively wasted $2250 in one weeks time of payroll being wasted while TMs stood around waiting for a box cutter. And if not a box cutter, they probably were standing around for some other equipment. Over an entire year, the company would burn $108,000 just for TMs standing around for equipment once a week for 15 mins..... and the worst part of all of this? TMs aren't standing around for 15 mins waiting for equipment just once a week.... It is probably happening several times daily at most stores in the company.

Now, let's pretend that the box cutters could easily be obtained by a TL who is in the area. Let's assume that in those 1000 stores 10,000 TMs lost their box cutters in the course of a year. How much is the cost to the company? $500. Assuming a ridiculous amount of TMs lost the damn 5 cent box cutters. (and they are probably even cheaper than that)

Moral of the story? Lost payroll is more expensive than lost box cutters. In other words, it's freaking waste of money to have TMs have to wait for a box cutter while an ETL makes their way to the damn lock box. You say it's the "principle of the thing". Well, the principle is damn expensive. This is a stupid as some guy spending $20,000 in attorneys fees to sue someone who stole his $200 power drill out of his truck for the $200 it cost to get a new one just for the "principle" of the matter.

How much does it cost when 3 year old Guesty Guesterson picks up the box cutter off the endcap and cuts his finger off after Tommy Teamember left it laying there during the truck unload? That's the real reason box cutters don't flow like water. Lawsuits are expensive.

The box cutters are supposed to be secure, not that most stores do. My store has them in the
receiver's lock desk. They do not come easy either. It is the principle of the thing, not to save a buck We GIVE you something to use to help do your job. Be responsible and don't loose it 6 times a day.

How much does it cost when 3 year old Guesty Guesterson picks up the box cutter off the endcap and cuts his finger off after Tommy Teamember left it laying there during the truck unload? That's the real reason box cutters don't flow like water. Lawsuits are expensive.

We have a winner!

Box cutters are near a buck a piece.

They can easily be found online for anywhere from $6-$9 for a box of 12. There's absolutely no excuse for Target to fail to get a bulk discount--they should end up paying something closer to $3 for 12. That being said, Target pays insanely wasteful prices for other things, so I suppose nothing would really surprise me.

Still--while there's so much stupid in SoT's post that I really don't want to get that far into it, I have to ask: 17,630 lost cutters a year, total, company-wide? (This is based on your suggestion of 10k in 1k stores--there are currently 1,763 stores.) You think a typical stores goes through ten box cutters a year? I'd guess a typical store goes through something like ten box cutters every week, between team members who lose them, take them home and forget to bring them back, etc.

And how does having the box cutters locked up prevent a TM from leaving them on an endcap? The only way to prevent that would be to ban TMs from even having box cutters.

They can easily be found online for anywhere from $6-$9 for a box of 12. There's absolutely no excuse for Target to fail to get a bulk discount--they should end up paying something closer to $3 for 12. That being said, Target pays insanely wasteful prices for other things, so I suppose nothing would really surprise me.

Still--while there's so much stupid in SoT's post that I really don't want to get that far into it, I have to ask: 17,630 lost cutters a year, total, company-wide? (This is based on your suggestion of 10k in 1k stores--there are currently 1,763 stores.) You think a typical stores goes through ten box cutters a year? I'd guess a typical store goes through something like ten box cutters every week, between team members who lose them, take them home and forget to bring them back, etc.

Yes, I know there are over 1000 stores. I said that in my original post and stated that I was intentionally low-balling the numbers.

Here is the box cutter (or a very similar one) that Target uses for sale: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/946210/Pacific-Handy-All-Purpose-Ivory-Box/ Notice these are about $1 individually.

I have seen these on TIPP back when I was a TL, and you can literally buy packs of 50 or 100 of them for an average price of about 5-10 cents. Don't believe me? Get on TIPP and check it out.

Man, I guess they saw REAL ETL potential in me. When I quit i was making $17.85/hr ($17.50 from the start 9/10/11). All the **** you guys have to put up with makes me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back