Archived After Target (looking for insight)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those TMs that were promoted to guest (either voluntarily or not), can you shed some light into how you changed after Target? Was there any profound differences in your mental, emotional or physical person?

It sounds more like you wanting to share your experience. So, go ahead, please share how target has changed you, mentally, emotionally and physically.

Last edited:
You know things are bad when there's just a straight up Post Traumatic Target Disorder coping thread. I'm still with Target, but I imagine leaving must feel like how it feels getting out of jail after a 20 year sentence and not knowing how to start your life again.

Does it have to be target I worked for another retailer before coming ft for target

It sounds more like you wanting to share your experience. So, go ahead, please share how target has changed you, mentally, emotionally and physically.

Still at Target. For now.

You know things are bad when there's just a straight up Post Traumatic Target Disorder coping thread. I'm still with Target, but I imagine leaving must feel like how it feels getting out of jail after a 20 year sentence and not knowing how to start your life again.

I liken it to Stockholm's Syndrome. Or akin to being in an abusive relationship. You know you need to get out, but you can't or won't for a completely irrational reason.

Last edited:
At the time the economy had gone to hell so getting another job was a real challenge.
I was lucky to have a wife who made enough to pay the bills so while I looked for work I wrote a novel and did a lot of political work including getting my wife elected to the school board.

I'm just looking for more "it gets better"/ "this too will pass" sorta feedback that comes with removing the red and khaki shackles. I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic, but some days the daily Target slog just feels like the lowest point for me. I want to leave and I know I have to leave, but I still need some reinforcement that leaving is going to be better. Even if it feels oddly wrong, right now.

I'm just looking for more "it gets better"/ "this too will pass" sorta feedback that comes with removing the red and khaki shackles. I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic, but some days the daily Target slog just feels like the lowest point for me. I want to leave and I know I have to leave, but I still need some reinforcement that leaving is going to be better. Even if it feels oddly wrong, right now.

Retail doesn't get better. I wouldn't say it gets worse either. All I say, is STAY ADAPTABLE.

That's kind of how I feel about my other job. I really enjoyed it at first, but it got to a point where I just dread going in and finding out what fresh bs I get to deal with that day. I'm on LOA right now and it feels amazing. I'm not sure if I want to go back. I obviously wouldn't have done it if it was my only job, because bills still need to be paid.

It’s really the best feeling ever. I didn’t realize how unhappy I was, how exhausted I was, and how unfulfilled I was until I started my new job.
My wife always called working for target like being in a cult. I realized I was really married to Target and having an affair with my wife. Family was just so low of a priority because of the massive amounts of shit i had to do. If I wasn’t at a store i was on my email answering calls or texts. I was never present at home because of the demands. It’s hilarious how the hashtag is #whatmattersmost when it comes to families because it’s so the opposite while working for target.
For a month or so after I left I had major FOMO but now I couldn’t be happier. Thankful for my time there of course because it got me to where I am today. But having every holiday off, every weekend off, not having access to work email on my phone, no groupme, etc...I am fully present at home. I’m so happy and feel like such a big weight is lifted even though my job now is much more important and i have way more responsibilities than I did at target.

It’s really the best feeling ever. I didn’t realize how unhappy I was, how exhausted I was, and how unfulfilled I was until I started my new job.
My wife always called working for target like being in a cult. I realized I was really married to Target and having an affair with my wife. Family was just so low of a priority because of the massive amounts of shit i had to do. If I wasn’t at a store i was on my email answering calls or texts. I was never present at home because of the demands. It’s hilarious how the hashtag is #whatmattersmost when it comes to families because it’s so the opposite while working for target.
For a month or so after I left I had major FOMO but now I couldn’t be happier. Thankful for my time there of course because it got me to where I am today. But having every holiday off, every weekend off, not having access to work email on my phone, no groupme, etc...I am fully present at home. I’m so happy and feel like such a big weight is lifted even though my job now is much more important and i have way more responsibilities than I did at target.

Cult... I could definitely see that. However, I'm not dreading FOMO when that time comes. I will miss the constant activity that Target provides though (I lost 50lbs over the last 5 years). But, where Target enriches me physically, it drains me mentally and emotionally. I'm happy that you've found things to be better after your exodus and that you've been able to reinvest your lost time back into your family. That's a sad reality for people at Target, I see it with a lot of the leadership... it's all consuming.

Personally, I don't think PogDog's concern is specific only to Target. One would have those same feelings and fears no matter what company they worked for. It's like the phrase, "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't". You know the "worst" of Target, because you experienced it everyday... tolerated it. When you leave Target, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. Fear.
In my opinion (and experience), Target isn't all that unique and special (or cult-like)......Like NPC said, It's Retail, in general. Retail is struggling. Quick, and often poor, judgement calls are made to drive business. Those that suffer these "calls" most are at the store-level. I've been a Retail whore for years, and "suffered" a lot of changes over the years.
So, PogDog, no one has a Crystal Ball to tell you that "things will get better"...... sorry. Maybe leaving Retail is the hope you're looking for.

Personally, I don't think PogDog's concern is specific only to Target. One would have those same feelings and fears no matter what company they worked for. It's like the phrase, "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't". You know the "worst" of Target, because you experienced it everyday... tolerated it. When you leave Target, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. Fear.
In my opinion (and experience), Target isn't all that unique and special (or cult-like)......Like NPC said, It's Retail, in general. Retail is struggling. Quick, and often poor, judgement calls are made to drive business. Those that suffer these "calls" most are at the store-level. I've been a Retail whore for years, and "suffered" a lot of changes over the years.
So, PogDog, no one has a Crystal Ball to tell you that "things will get better"...... sorry. Maybe leaving Retail is the hope you're looking for.

Oh, the hope is real. I want to leave post-haste! I'm just pondering how other's felt AFTER they've left. What sort of relief or dread or whatever followed after they stepped out of Target on their last day to begin their lives again. That's how I view my time at Target, a long hiatus from life. I'm both excited to leave, but also worried I may be too feral to adjust to life on the outside easily. It's bittersweet expectations.

Only reason I want to leave Target right now is for a better wage. I can't do adult things and live on $11.25 an hour. I mean, I can, but it wouldn't be very ideal seeing as I'd be going without any extra $$$ whatsoever.

Of all the places I've worked, and despite all the mental anguish of Target, it's still the most comfortable place I've ever worked. I don't know why that is. I think for the most part everyone has each others back. It's the shit we get told to do, the business practices, and shit from guests that's agonizing.

Of all the places I've worked, and despite all the mental anguish of Target, it's still the most comfortable place I've ever worked. I don't know why that is. I think for the most part everyone has each others back. It's the shit we get told to do, the business practices, and shit from guests that's agonizing.

I've noticed this as well. Some stores certainly do it better than others but for the most part Target has a very effective team strategy.

For every person at my store I can't stand there is someone else who has my back come h or hw.

Cult... I could definitely see that. However, I'm not dreading FOMO when that time comes. I will miss the constant activity that Target provides though (I lost 50lbs over the last 5 years). But, where Target enriches me physically, it drains me mentally and emotionally. I'm happy that you've found things to be better after your exodus and that you've been able to reinvest your lost time back into your family. That's a sad reality for people at Target, I see it with a lot of the leadership... it's all consuming.
Funny you brought up the “constant activity”. I miss that a lot. I have gained 17 lbs since I left August 2016 and my eating habits haven’t changed except for now I actually get to take a lunch. The running around and not eating lunch kept me so fit. Damnit!!

I've noticed this as well. Some stores certainly do it better than others but for the most part Target has a very effective team strategy.

For every person at my store I can't stand there is someone else who has my back come h or hw.

I feel like even the ETLs know when something is bullshit. I just feel like I work with humans for the most part, where other places can be cold and mindless. Like the vibe is, "I know this sucks, so we'll get through it together."

There's something about the stores as well that sort of just feel comfortable too. Like Target stores aren't jarring, poorly lit warehouses like WalMart with just a nauseating smell of plastic and waxed concrete floors. Whatever business tactics are being employed to make people want to shop, also seem to make me not mind hanging around before or after work. It's just comfortable.

Oh, the hope is real. I want to leave post-haste! I'm just pondering how other's felt AFTER they've left. What sort of relief or dread or whatever followed after they stepped out of Target on their last day to begin their lives again. That's how I view my time at Target, a long hiatus from life. I'm both excited to leave, but also worried I may be too feral to adjust to life on the outside easily. It's bittersweet expectations.

PogDog, I can share my own experience with you: I almost left Target once. I landed an hourly front desk job (unrelated to HR) that paid a bit more, had some more benefits, and was full-time. I was balancing both jobs and planning to give my two weeks' notice if I ended up liking this new job more. I started this new job and hated it. I didn't enjoy what I was doing at all and time went by so slow. In addition, they employed seasonal minors who revealed to me that this business did not comply with the legally mandated breaks and meals all summer long. These kids worked 8-hour shifts without any sort of breaks whatsoever! :eek: I realized that although working at Target sucks sometimes (due to the immense workload for low pay and crappy guests), it could be so much worse like this place. I quit this shady gig asap and had a new appreciation for HR and Target. I love that HR makes sure that the store complies with the law. I also love that every TM can freely exercise their right to breaks and meals.

With that said, I am not advising you not to leave since you clearly want to move on. The next job that you take could be very awesome unlike what I experienced. Just make sure that you leave on good terms with Target (two week's notice) so that you aren't prevented from returning if the new job is not what you expected.

PogDog, I can share my own experience with you: I almost left Target once. I landed an hourly front desk job (unrelated to HR) that paid a bit more, had some more benefits, and was full-time. I was balancing both jobs and planning to give my two weeks' notice if I ended up liking this new job more. I started this new job and hated it. I didn't enjoy what I was doing at all and time went by so slow. In addition, they employed seasonal minors who revealed to me that this business did not comply with the legally mandated breaks and meals all summer long. These kids worked 8-hour shifts without any sort of breaks whatsoever! :eek: I realized that although working at Target sucks sometimes (due to the immense workload for low pay and crappy guests), it could be so much worse like this place. I quit this shady gig asap and had a new appreciation for HR and Target. I love that HR makes sure that the store complies with the law. I also love that every TM can freely exercise their right to breaks and meals.

With that said, I am not advising you not to leave since you clearly want to move on. The next job that you take could be very awesome unlike what I experienced. Just make sure that you leave on good terms with Target (two week's notice) so that you aren't prevented from returning if the new job is not what you expected.

That is a possible reality. Taking on a new job has its inherent risks and obvious differences from what I'm used to. That's why I've started this thread. I know my mental bias right now is based solely on how I focus for working at Target. I'm sure wherever I end up, I'll see things from a perspective that is completely Target-oriented. But, I still recall how I felt when I transitioned into my role at Target and saw how Target operated. At that time, I also thought Target did things differently (not better, just different) and I had to adapt to that difference.

My current mental state at work is, how can I get out of here. I like a handful of my coworkers, but the overall feeling at work is complete misery. I don't enjoy what I do, nor feel challenged by it. I'm not appreciated by upper management, regardless of my seasoned experience. There have been and will be changes that I don't agree with or see the need for. I'm reading the writing on the wall... the changing of the guard is upon us and I'm not part of that change. I don't feel like I'm being forced out, but I also don't feel included in it either. I saw the writing on the wall months ago and ignored it... now I'm just trying to maintain until there is an opening to get out. I need to put forth the effort and that involves being mentally and emotionally prepared for what comes next. Whatever that may be.

Sounds like you are taking a sensible approach, and not rushing into something after a bad day. I have seen too often people do just that--quit without notice and no plan. I cannot speak from personal experience, but I have seen a pretty wide variety of responses to leaving. One common theme is that there will be a period of adjustment no matter what. Several people have reported back that they are told to relax at their new jobs. They retain that feeling of "why are you just standing around?" or "I have so much to get done." Some come back, some don't. Be patient and persistent, and something good will come up.

My current mental state at work is, how can I get out of here. I like a handful of my coworkers, but the overall feeling at work is complete misery. I don't enjoy what I do, nor feel challenged by it. I'm not appreciated by upper management, regardless of my seasoned experience. There have been and will be changes that I don't agree with or see the need for.

I have recently accepted a job offer and am ready to say goodbye to Spot. Your statement above sums up very well how I feel. I definitely don't feel challenged at work. I used to work in a variety of work centers and that helped a bit, but now I'm pretty much stuck with only one. I get bored doing the same thing every day. I also don't feel appreciated. My leadership wants to know what I think of the changes with E2E and honestly, some things HAVE changed for the better but others...yeah. I'm upset to leave Spot...I have made some amazing friends and I do like working with most of my leaders. But I know I need to move on for both personal and professional growth.

I have recently accepted a job offer and am ready to say goodbye to Spot. Your statement above sums up very well how I feel. I definitely don't feel challenged at work. I used to work in a variety of work centers and that helped a bit, but now I'm pretty much stuck with only one. I get bored doing the same thing every day. I also don't feel appreciated. My leadership wants to know what I think of the changes with E2E and honestly, some things HAVE changed for the better but others...yeah. I'm upset to leave Spot...I have made some amazing friends and I do like working with most of my leaders. But I know I need to move on for both personal and professional growth.

I wish you success and happiness in your future endeavors. Know that Target will survive without you, it's built into their system. I hope this next step is rewarding on several fronts that Target could never provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back