Archived Angry "Extreme" couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a couponer in a new TM's lane last week. The belt was LOADED with Febreeze. Apparently, only one scent was on sale when she thought it was all Febreeze. New TM puts on her blinker and I go over to help. We do price inquiry and, sure enough, only one scent is on sale. That was strike one. Then she had stacks upon stacks of BOGO coupons for the Febreze. I explained to her that she would only be able to use 4 of the coupons, that is store policy. She asks if that's a new policy. No, it isn't. When she started to try to make a fuss, I picked up the coupon and read it to her (the 4 per household per day limit). Her bitch friend then says you act like it's coming out of your paycheck. I told her, I'm just enforcing company policy and to have a nice day as I walked off and told the TPS there that we had couponers (he loves them lol). BUT the stupid new TM took about 10 like coupons for another product! WTF?

I honestly want to know what the hell some of these people do with all of the crap they buy....the ones that don't return it, that is. I've watched Extreme Couponers and seen the people with garages and basements full of stuff. The ones who donate it, good for them, but the ones who just "build their stockpile" baffle me. I mean, honestly, does anyone really need 100 bottles of shampoo or sticks of deodorant? I can see if you have a large family, but even then, it would take a couple years to go through that much....and they just keep buying MORE!?!?!?

I honestly want to know what the hell some of these people do with all of the crap they buy....the ones that don't return it, that is. I've watched Extreme Couponers and seen the people with garages and basements full of stuff. The ones who donate it, good for them, but the ones who just "build their stockpile" baffle me. I mean, honestly, does anyone really need 100 bottles of shampoo or sticks of deodorant? I can see if you have a large family, but even then, it would take a couple years to go through that much....and they just keep buying MORE!?!?!?

This week on "Hoarders".

They sell it at flea markets abd garage sales. I know someone that does that

Exactly. That's why we've had so many problems with HBA coupon returns over the years.
I have a friend on Facebook who started couponing in the past year and she periodically posts pictures of her "stockpile." She has 3 of the floor-to-ceiling industrial shelving units in her garage FULL of stuff! Someone asked her what she plans on doing with all of it and she said, "We will eventually use it..." She only has 2 kids and LITERALLY has 50+ bottles each of shampoo/conditioner/styling products, an entire shelf of toothpaste/toothbrushes (there seriously has to be over 100 tubes on the shelf,) one with various lotions/creams, one with JUST deodorant (she DOES live in FL,) & one entire shelving unit dedicated to cleaning supplies. I would be worried it would go bad (or, if I lived in FL, a hurricane would hit~LOL!) before I used it!

How do these extreme couponers do it? Like they can get 95% off on the things they buy. The lowest I can get is 1 coupon with 50% at Michael's Craft Store lol

You do double plays, triple plays, and even the occasional quadruple play. Combine a manufacturer coupon with a store one, for a double play. And in something like Cartwheel for an additional discount to make it a triple. And sometimes the stars align and there is a giftcard offer on top of these other discounts! I ALWAYS have a $5 Target g/c in my wallet. I only use it when I am buying items at Target that will produce a new $5 g/c...this is "rolling" the g/c.

Anymore questions? Ask.

You do double plays, triple plays, and even the occasional quadruple play. Combine a manufacturer coupon with a store one, for a double play. And in something like Cartwheel for an additional discount to make it a triple. And sometimes the stars align and there is a giftcard offer on top of these other discounts! I ALWAYS have a $5 Target g/c in my wallet. I only use it when I am buying items at Target that will produce a new $5 g/c...this is "rolling" the g/c.

Anymore questions? Ask.
Many also shop at stores that do "double coupons," which obviously isn't us. Some of these stores will also allow a manufacturer coupon & offer their own (although they only double the manufacturer coupon.) If the stores allow "overage," they use that to cover the difference on items that aren't "free."

Many also shop at stores that do "double coupons," which obviously isn't us. Some of these stores will also allow a manufacturer coupon & offer their own (although they only double the manufacturer coupon.) If the stores allow "overage," they use that to cover the difference on items that aren't "free."

Yes! WM allows overage. Couponer websites will often highlight what coupons will net overage and the right way to combine offers to make the purchase a MM (money maker).

I can't seem to make sense of the coupon policy relating to this situation... I'm not sure what the GSTL ended up doing because she was watching and took care of the angry couponer who insisted she'd go to guest service since she wasn't getting her way.

So, a lady and her mom come in the line, each with their own transactions. I see multiples of everything so I ask for the coupons right off the bat. She's got manufacturer coupons for almost everything, and they pretty much all match up. She's ok with the ones that don't, because she just wants the $5 giftcard (which wasn't in the system, but there was a sign up... That was fun). Then, she uses cartwheel on top of that. She pulls out her mobile coupon for $15 off $50 of toilet paper/cleaner/home items like that. I explain that her subtotal is only $53 and she bought things that weren't listed on that coupon, so it would be under the $50.

She gets mad, insists that it would work before all the coupons. I'm not really sure what to do about this. She just says she wants me to suspend it and she'll go over to guest service.

So, first off- was this legit? Like, should I have just let it through? I didn't scan the mobile coupon to see if it would go through, because it seemed sketchy that she was trying to pull this. I didn't ask the GSTL what ultimately happened, but I did see that the lady left with all of the items in her cart so I'm pretty sure she got her way. In the end, the GSTL didn't seem irritated with me. A TM that helped me out with the gift card sign check told the GSTL that the lady was being rude to me so I'm guessing that's why she stopped her before she went to guest service and just took care of her herself.

By the way, as she started off to guest service initially with her full cart and everything bagged, I told her to leave the cart behind since she would have to pass the entrance with it. I've gotten in trouble for letting someone do that before, when they needed to check their red card balance. She gets more upset and just turns around to go to guest service from the other direction (so she wouldn't walk directly past the exit door). Good times.

I can't seem to make sense of the coupon policy relating to this situation... I'm not sure what the GSTL ended up doing because she was watching and took care of the angry couponer who insisted she'd go to guest service since she wasn't getting her way.

So, a lady and her mom come in the line, each with their own transactions. I see multiples of everything so I ask for the coupons right off the bat. She's got manufacturer coupons for almost everything, and they pretty much all match up. She's ok with the ones that don't, because she just wants the $5 giftcard (which wasn't in the system, but there was a sign up... That was fun). Then, she uses cartwheel on top of that. She pulls out her mobile coupon for $15 off $50 of toilet paper/cleaner/home items like that. I explain that her subtotal is only $53 and she bought things that weren't listed on that coupon, so it would be under the $50.

She gets mad, insists that it would work before all the coupons. I'm not really sure what to do about this. She just says she wants me to suspend it and she'll go over to guest service.

So, first off- was this legit? Like, should I have just let it through? I didn't scan the mobile coupon to see if it would go through, because it seemed sketchy that she was trying to pull this. I didn't ask the GSTL what ultimately happened, but I did see that the lady left with all of the items in her cart so I'm pretty sure she got her way. In the end, the GSTL didn't seem irritated with me. A TM that helped me out with the gift card sign check told the GSTL that the lady was being rude to me so I'm guessing that's why she stopped her before she went to guest service and just took care of her herself.

By the way, as she started off to guest service initially with her full cart and everything bagged, I told her to leave the cart behind since she would have to pass the entrance with it. I've gotten in trouble for letting someone do that before, when they needed to check their red card balance. She gets more upset and just turns around to go to guest service from the other direction (so she wouldn't walk directly past the exit door). Good times.

Eh, I mean without a doubt she's exploiting the coupons and signs. We have a few regular guests like this whom have items that seem to just NEVER be marked correctly. I feel like telling them, "Lady, you're the ONLY person this ENTIRE week of this ad, that's run into this problem. You read the sign wrong." She is correct though, that you have to do the "$15 of $50" type coupon first before other coupons. Otherwise the computer thinks they haven't spent enough. Also, it doesn't count tax. Guests often make that mistake too where their subtotal is only like $48, rather than $50. But I wouldn't be surprised if she had bought non-qualifying items anyway.

Also, another fun issue with those "$15 of $50" type coupons. Usually, the policy is 1 coupon per household, not guest. So these bored greedy housewives try and make separate transactions and then say their "kids" are paying for it. Irrelevant, because if they aren't paying for it with their own money, we can deny the transaction.

Eh, I mean without a doubt she's exploiting the coupons and signs. We have a few regular guests like this whom have items that seem to just NEVER be marked correctly. I feel like telling them, "Lady, you're the ONLY person this ENTIRE week of this ad, that's run into this problem. You read the sign wrong." She is correct though, that you have to do the "$15 of $50" type coupon first before other coupons. Otherwise the computer thinks they haven't spent enough. Also, it doesn't count tax. Guests often make that mistake too where their subtotal is only like $48, rather than $50. But I wouldn't be surprised if she had bought non-qualifying items anyway.

Also, another fun issue with those "$15 of $50" type coupons. Usually, the policy is 1 coupon per household, not guest. So these bored greedy housewives try and make separate transactions and then say their "kids" are paying for it. Irrelevant, because if they aren't paying for it with their own money, we can deny the transaction.

Makes sense; thanks. She handed me the manufacturer coupons first- I didn't even know she had the mobile coupon. Oops. Oh well- she deserved to be inconvenienced. *shrug* At least she wasn't one of the "I don't understand English" people.

So how about those 40% off everything in the store coupons going all around Facebook? What stupid crap, but I love how corp put out a red wire detailing how those coupons are fake. Got like 5 guests that tried to use them today...no common sense.

Ugh, I had a lady argue with me over that stupid coupon. Hers was a 50% off your entire purchase coupon lol. She wouldn't take no for an answer. But it has the Target Logo on it, so it's from Target bla bla bla. Why did target make a fake coupon? I don't know if she really didn't understand that there are lots of fraudulent coupons on the internet or if she was one of those people who will argue with us and make a scene until we give in and give them what they want. She did not get 50% of her purchase.

Ugh, I had a lady argue with me over that stupid coupon. Hers was a 50% off your entire purchase coupon lol. She wouldn't take no for an answer. But it has the Target Logo on it, so it's from Target bla bla bla. Why did target make a fake coupon? I don't know if she really didn't understand that there are lots of fraudulent coupons on the internet or if she was one of those people who will argue with us and make a scene until we give in and give them what they want. She did not get 50% of her purchase.
"But it was on Facebook it must be real. And next week my unicorn is arriving"

We have a group that tries to get cetaphil with coupons but they try to get travel sizes which ar 2.97, the coupon is for 3$ off and excludes travel sizes, their response yesterday was priceless when the gsa came up, they were like, he didn't even scan it, gsa said, doesn't matter, the coupon doesn't include travel size so we can't take it, guest left the rest of his stuff and left in a huff

Anyone know those "$10 off Sonicare" coupons? The ones you have to buy a very specific high dollar toothbrush for? Well as few days ago, I had a guest actually use them correctly and legitimately. Lol, it was weird.

Maybe, she's the worst couponer ever though if she spends over $100 for a $10 profit.
Unless she's using a Credit Card for the purchase & return. Then she's out nothing.

I remember before I left... there was a $30 Coupon for a Electric Razor. There we're tons of coupon returns, mostly made on credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back