Archived Angry "Extreme" couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record that's what is done at my store if we suspect the guest is a coupon scammer. If it's just one item, they can have full value. Multiple items with valuable coupons or that have to be tossed, then AP says to not give full value to deter future fraud. Our GSTMs are obviously not empowered to overrule AP.
No, but our Gstl explained to AP just why we had to leave coupon value. This method violates contracts and us theft by Target. Once understood, AP agreed.

as for refusing to honor a gift receipt, ok, but we wouldn't do that. This is a corporate issue. We aren't losing enough money to warrant addressing it.

Otherwise, they would stop the scammers.

Reactions: NPC
Okay so I guess this is a good place to ask for clarification about returning items bought with coupons-
Guest buys $12 medicine, uses $4 manufacture coupon. Guest surrenders $4 coupon and pays $8 out of pocket.

Guest wants to return medicine, has receipt.

In some situations I’ve seen it said that the guest should only receive the $8 back, but in that situation target would be getting back $4 from the manufacturer, and revive the $12 product back to go on the shelf.
Any clarification on how this situation should go would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Okay so I guess this is a good place to ask for clarification about returning items bought with coupons-
Guest buys $12 medicine, uses $4 manufacture coupon. Guest surrenders $4 coupon and pays $8 out of pocket.

In some situations I’ve seen it said that the guest should only receive the $8 back, but in that situation target would be getting back $4 from the manufacturer, and revive the $12 product back to go on the shelf.
The computer tells you from the receipt. We do not change price. Target received coupon rebate from the manufacturer.

If there was a Target giftcard, then that will be reflected in the price refunded.

I use to change the price because I knew it was an iffy return until I read the policy which states that we give back whatever register says and not change the price.

Well if you're a good GSTM, you don't adjust the price and return what the register prompts. As stated by other good GSTMs, Target is paid/compensated for manufacture coupons, so an adjustment isn't warranted, and that's why the register doesn't change the price automatically. You can also refer to the return policy online, which talks about this very issue.

If you want to be a bad GSTM, just do what @Amanda Cantwell says. :) Hope this helps.

I’m probably going to regret this but if I worked at that store I would probably make a hotline call. Spot can get into trouble for doing crap like that. They absolutely should not adjust down returns. Why do I care? Situations like this can generate bad publicity for the company I work for.

I’m probably going to regret this but if I worked at that store I would probably make a hotline call. Spot can get into trouble for doing crap like that. They absolutely should not adjust down returns. Why do I care? Situations like this can generate bad publicity for the company I work for.

Amanda does whatever she wants and it's very evident in several posts on here. She will disagree until the cows come home. Always don't what the register prompts and do change it unless it becomes a huge guest service issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: NPC
Target policy does state that we can deny a return if the use of the coupons on the products is deemed not for the use of gifting or personal use. It also states that the return amount of the coupons can be placed on a gift card.

Target policy does state that we can deny a return if the use of the coupons on the products is deemed not for the use of gifting or personal use. It also states that the return amount of the coupons can be placed on a gift card.

But never adjusted. :)

But never adjusted. :)
Well, I guess it would be adjusted if you are placing the coupon amount on a GC. Purchasing items with coupons with the intent to return them is coupon fraud. I had a guy the other day try to return a bag of HBA items from a 2 foot long receipt, high value coupons were used on everything, and I started making comments about the amount of coupons used and why he was doing the return. In the end, he decided to keep his items. I bet on that bag alone he would have made a profit of $100.

Well, I guess it would be adjusted if you are placing the coupon amount on a GC. Purchasing items with coupons with the intent to return them is coupon fraud. I had a guy the other day try to return a bag of HBA items from a 2 foot long receipt, high value coupons were used on everything, and I started making comments about the amount of coupons used and why he was doing the return. In the end, he decided to keep his items. I bet on that bag alone he would have made a profit of $100.

The options are deny the return, or, put the return on a gift card. But sure, let's continue discussing this for 3 more pages.

Amanda does whatever she wants and it's very evident in several posts on here. She will disagree until the cows come home. Always do what the register prompts and do change it unless it becomes a huge guest service issue.
At my store coupon fraud HAS become a huge guest service issue. That’s why we change it. I do what the leaders tell me to do. Yes, I could question them because they may be wrong, no I’m not going to.

Never thought I’d say this... but I agree with NPC, can we end this discussion? Unless you all want to criticize me for my store’s procedures for another 20 pages.

Last edited:
I do what the leaders tell me to do. Yes, I could question them, no I’m not going to.

Now if you asked your ETL GE, or whatever they're called now, they would give you the correct info. But, you asked someone that was going to give you the answer you want. Just so we're clear, that's the situation here. You know, the people that worked under Hitler were just doing what they were told too. Interesting.

The policy about returns with mfr coupons says "may", not "will". ASANTS

Meaning, it may go on a giftcard....if not honoring your method of payment. Again, either deny the return, or put it on a giftcard.

Now if you asked your ETL GE, or whatever they're called now, they would give you the correct info. But, you asked someone that was going to give you the answer you want. Just so we're clear, that's the situation here. You know, the people that worked under Hitler were just doing what they were told too. Interesting.
Why is it so hard for you to believe that this is the way my store has always done it (GSTM who has been at my store for 6+ years says that's how she was trained day 1)? If any of the multiple GSTLs, GSAs, ETL GEs, ETL APs, APTMs my store has had in the time I've been there had a problem with it, they would have said something, rather than continuing to tell us to keep doing it that way.

Also, it depends how you interpret may. You could interpret as "it may go on a Giftcard or it may not go on anything at all". The reason most of our policies are so vague is to empower stores to enforce in the manner they need to.

Also this isn’t genocide it’s giving the guest back what they paid* and not more. The horror!

*Coupons, as stated on them, have no cash value.

Last edited:
As nice as it would be for Spot to have consistent policies in every store, all across the country, ASANTS is used here for a very good reason.
ETLs making shit up as they go along is almost SOP.
Don't blame the folks who are just trying to do their job for the bullshit instructions they're getting from their bosses.

Why is it so hard for you to believe that this is the way my store has always done it (GSTM who has been at my store for 6+ years says that's how she was trained day 1)? If any of the multiple GSTLs, GSAs, ETL GEs, ETL APs, APTMs my store has had in the time I've been there had a problem with it, they would have said something, rather than continuing to tell us to keep doing it that way.

Also, it depends how you interpret may. You could interpret as "it may go on a Giftcard or it may not go on anything at all". The reason most of our policies are so vague is to empower stores to enforce in the manner they need to.

Also this isn’t genocide it’s giving the guest back what they paid* and not more. The horror!

*Coupons, as stated on them, have no cash value.

Don't twist reality to justify you doing something wrong. It's been well established it's not the correct thing to do, nor do I believe you've asked this many people in your store. Jesus christ. Lighten up, do your job right.

Don't twist reality to justify you doing something wrong. It's been well established it's not the correct thing to do, nor do I believe you've asked this many people in your store. Jesus christ. Lighten up, do your job right.
There’s nothing else I can say without repeating myself or commie so you’re welcome to believe whatever you want.

There’s nothing else I can say without repeating myself or commie so you’re welcome to believe whatever you want.

What you're doing =/= what the correct thing to do is.

That's all I'm saying. Did AP tell you it's okay to do this? Sure, they probably did. Is it the correct thing to do? No. Does doing it for a long time make it the correct thing to do? No. Does wanting to do it really really badly make it okay? No. Did you even scratch the surface and investigate the issue to even CONSIDER it might be wrong? You absolutely didn't do this.

By all means, keep doing it. Doesn't make it correct. I suggest not letting what little power you think you have as a GSTM go to your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back