Archived Angry "Extreme" couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you do when a guest earns a $5.00 gift card but it does not prompt? I always just make them the gift card but some people ask them if they want the $5 off right then and there and they do a target coupon instead.
I thought gift cards were a way to get people to come back so is we're giving them the money right then and there, why would they come back?

Make sure they buy the same size, they can't mix sizes. a 32oz and 64oz won't prompt a giftcard, but a 32oz and 32oz/64oz and 64oz would. Brand have to be the same, unless the deal is like Cottonele/Bounty Products then that would be okay. Make sure the sizes they got are within the allowed sizes. Sale might say 32/64oz but they might of grabbed an 18oz product. My GSTL has instructed to send everyone to guest services for a missing giftcard if the guest can't figure it out that they got the wrong item.

They try to mix and match and it's annoying, it won't work. I groan every time someone says "Hey, I should of gotten a giftcard for those." because I already know it's gonna be a fight. I can't take people's shit anymore, and if they don't want to take mine, they can happily talk to the GSTL or walk to guest services. Oh you're in a hurry? Tough luck lol.

What's even more hilarious, the guest never wants us to bring up the correct product for them, they can't find the logic behind letting us grab the right product for them!!! Fuck people sometimes, seriously. Never in my life did I think I'd fight over $5 so much, I know $5 is $5 but eventually you drop it after an exchange or two, not continue to argue with me and don't let us do anything to help you. I see it all the time, customer writes a bad review, saying the business never did anything to accommodate them, but then the business actually responds and says "Oh but we tried this, and that, but you wouldn't let us help you."

It's so stupid. I see it everywhere.

Okay rant over.

But yeah, always check to make sure the sizes are in the right parameters and they aren't trying to mix sizes.

I'm talking when they actually earn it, everything is right, the register just didn't prompt for a gift card. It happens a lot where they have three of the right size/quantity things, and no GC. So I make one.
But cashiers should NOT be giving out discounts instead, they should be creating the expected gift card.
I'm not sure what policy is but I guess ASANTS takes precedence.

I'm talking when they actually earn it, everything is right, the register just didn't prompt for a gift card. It happens a lot where they have three of the right size/quantity things, and no GC. So I make one.
But cashiers should NOT be giving out discounts instead, they should be creating the expected gift card.
I'm not sure what policy is but I guess ASANTS takes precedence.
I just take off the $5. Its usually a regular little old person, my idiots put the wrong size because they were trying to empty paper pipos... plus immediate discount is magic when the guest survey was a big thing.

I’ve always just given them $5 off (I’ve lost the fight in me to argue about it - obviously you didn’t get the right things to get the gift card. But everyone is too dense to understand so I give up), but that’s a good idea to just make the gift card, I’ll start doing that from now on.
I do that if it’s close enough. But I will check the ad and if it’s obviously not right I won’t.

I always make sure their products match what's in the ad. I'm kind of a hard ass about that. You can't just get the 18 count Charmin when the add says 32 count. You can't just get the 14 oz Gain when the ad says 19.2 ounces. I match that shit up. But the goddamned system does NOT love us and sometimes, even though everything matches up, it won't prompt for a gift card.

I issue it with an apology and a thank you. I've found out that some people offer the saving's right then and there and they hand enter a target coupon. I think that's bullshit. They earned a GIFT CARD, not a discount. So aggravating.

Just a quick question, but I had a situation where a guest had four health care products that totaled more than $25, and they were eligible for a $5 gift card. The guest used 4 manufacturer coupons that brought the total down to about $16 or so first and then I scanned the coupon in the ad and it still prompted for the gift card. At this point, I've lost the will to argue over a $5 gift card like Leo and we were so short-staffed today that I didn't really care (my GSA today almost always tells us to make it right for the guest). I was pleasantly surprised that none of the coupons were rejected and that no message appeared stating that due to the coupons, the guest would no longer qualify for the gift card. Did I handle the situation correctly?

Just a quick question, but I had a situation where a guest had four health care products that totaled more than $25, and they were eligible for a $5 gift card. The guest used 4 manufacturer coupons that brought the total down to about $16 or so first and then I scanned the coupon in the ad and it still prompted for the gift card.. At this point, I've lost the will to argue over a $5 gift card like Leo and we were so short-staffed today that I didn't really care (my GSA today almost always tells us to make it right for the guest). I was pleasantly surprised that none of the coupons were rejected and that no message appeared stating that due to the coupons, the guest would no longer qualify for the gift card. Did I handle the situation correctly?
You did. It’s calculated before manf coupons. It’s probablt a coupon return scam but you handled it as you should’ve.

You did. It’s calculated before manf coupons. It’s probablt a coupon return scam but you handled it as you should’ve.
Thanks Amanda, I mean if it's a return scam, that's guest services problem unfortunately. I'm almost certain that the GSA would have told me to just accept the coupons and make a $5 gift card if the POS rejected either the manufacturer coupons or the $5 gift card coupon in the ad the guest should have received due to how busy it was.

Thanks Amanda, I mean if it's a return scam, that's guest services problem unfortunately. I'm almost certain that the GSA would have told me to just accept the coupons and make a $5 gift card if the POS rejected either the manufacturer coupons or the $5 gift card coupon in the ad the guest should have received due to how busy it was.
It would be our problem. You did what you should have done.

Not always a coupon scam.... could be smart shopping. A smart shopper combines coupons, Cartwheel and the gift card offers. I know I do.

Now if they wanted to do multiple, similar purchases or wanted to use more than 4 like coupons, even if they spread it out over several transactions...then I'd suspect a scammer.

Not sure about how manufacturer coupons that appear on Cartwheel work, but at least with the manufacturer coupons that guest print and bring in, the store doesn't really lose anything with them. The store get's reimbursed the amount plus 8 cents for handling. I feel like it's a smart decision for Target to allow stacking in this sense.

Not sure about how manufacturer coupons that appear on Cartwheel work, but at least with the manufacturer coupons that guest print and bring in, the store doesn't really lose anything with them. The store get's reimbursed the amount plus 8 cents for handling. I feel like it's a smart decision for Target to allow stacking in this sense.
If the guest has a regular (percentage off) Cartwheel offer on an item, they can use a paper manufacturer coupon with it, no problem. If the Cartwheel offer is specifically listed as a manufacturer coupon, they can't use a paper manufacturer coupon. POS will not permit it.

If the guest has a regular (percentage off) Cartwheel offer on an item, they can use a paper manufacturer coupon with it, no problem. If the Cartwheel offer is specifically listed as a manufacturer coupon, they can't use a paper manufacturer coupon. POS will not permit it.
This. POS will not apply the cartwheel one if a paper one is scanned

Not necessarily. There is the other promo of purchasing 4 of certain items. I ended up purchasing four of those items and used coupons from Cartwheel on top of it.

Not always a coupon scam.... could be smart shopping. A smart shopper combines coupons, Cartwheel and the gift card offers. I know I do.

Now if they wanted to do multiple, similar purchases or wanted to use more than 4 like coupons, even if they spread it out over several transactions...then I'd suspect a scammer.
Agreed that it's not always a scam. There's a rather large flea market in my town, and a good number of our extreme couponers and clearance surfers are stocking up their booths.

This lady yesterday bought like $150 worth of baby formula and handed me a stack of about 30 $5 rebate checks.

I read the terms and it said, "Only one rebate check per purchase" so I told her this and she snatched them out, called me incompetent, and that everyone else lets her and she abandoned her purchase at my lane.

And this is after I pulled her out of a long line doing backup at the front lanes. You're welcome, lady.

This lady yesterday bought like $150 worth of baby formula and handed me a stack of about 30 $5 rebate checks.

I read the terms and it said, "Only one rebate check per purchase" so I told her this and she snatched them out, called me incompetent, and that everyone else lets her and she abandoned her purchase at my lane.

And this is after I pulled her out of a long line doing backup at the front lanes. You're welcome, lady.
technically one per purchase means one per item (it's the purchase of one item). one per transaction is one per total. that being said, we (and usually the check too) limit 4 per transaction so she probably would've gotten mad anyways and left. probably a scammer bc I've never seen anyone with that many rebate checks--- always check the name on them to make sure they all match-- we can only take ones that have the guests name (no need to verify id ofc, but if there are two, three, four names in the stack and one guest...)

technically one per purchase means one per item (it's the purchase of one item). one per transaction is one per total. that being said, we (and usually the check too) limit 4 per transaction so she probably would've gotten mad anyways and left. probably a scammer bc I've never seen anyone with that many rebate checks--- always check the name on them to make sure they all match-- we can only take ones that have the guests name (no need to verify id ofc, but if there are two, three, four names in the stack and one guest...)
And check the expiration dates. The store where I work has had a lot of problems with guests attempting to pass expired rebate checks (and sadly, some of the newer cashiers have accepted them).

I had one that I'm certain wasn't a scam, but was an entitled Mommy Karen. Two or three cans of formula, twice as many checks. I read the checks, saw one per item, handed half back to her and she got bitchy. I pointed on the checks exactly where it limited the checks, she got more bitchy and said the other cashiers always allow it but bought the formula anyway.

Unless there was a miscommunication, my store's leadership asked us to check the ID when a guest uses rebate checks. This could be ASANTS, but there might have been an incident in which our store was scammed by a guest using rebate checks and that could be why we ask for ID. We do limit to 4 checks per transaction as well.

I had one that I'm certain wasn't a scam, but was an entitled Mommy Karen. Two or three cans of formula, twice as many checks. I read the checks, saw one per item, handed half back to her and she got bitchy. I pointed on the checks exactly where it limited the checks, she got more bitchy and said the other cashiers always allow it but bought the formula anyway.
Me: “well I’m not other cashiers”
Unless there was a miscommunication, my store's leadership asked us to check the ID when a guest uses rebate checks. This could be ASANTS, but there might have been an incident in which our store was scammed by a guest using rebate checks and that could be why we ask for ID. We do limit to 4 checks per transaction as well.
it is ASANTS. My store is just make sure the names on the checks match (though most cashiers don’t even do that). But we do have the right to check id

We did have an issue at my store with rebate check scammers and as a result we stopped accepting them entirely for about 6 months. Once we were given the approval to accept them again, we were instructed to always ask for ID. And same as with coupons, limit 4 per guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back