Any way to get out of cashier shift for Black Friday?

I'm a beauty team member, and they have me scheduled as a cashier for 8 hours on Black Friday.

Of course I'll put the shift up on the board and ask people, however most everyone is already working that day.

And yes I've already talked to HR and he said that's just my shift and my responsibility to work it.

I'm a beauty team member, and they have me scheduled as a cashier for 8 hours on Black Friday.

Of course I'll put the shift up on the board and ask people, however most everyone is already working that day.

And yes I've already talked to HR and he said that's just my shift and my responsibility to work it.
Ask your etl or tl about the shift & why you got a cashier shift instead of beauty one.

Honestly your doing all you can aparr from calling out which I wouldnt if you wanna keep fhe job. Unfortunately alot of people are pulled from workcenters to fill cashier shifts making sure breaks are done etc. Once the initial rush is over the first fee hours you probably will be sent to do reshop. It will go fast

I've thought about this too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just like a normal weekend. Last year was.
Same. We were all wondering why we even opened an hour earlier. I was on outside line control, but there was no line. Everyone just stayed in their cars and when the doors opened they just walked in like a regular day... no mad rush, no crazy outfits, no cart grabbing and running, and in my opinion, no fun. It was just another Friday at work, except everyone had to wear a mask.

Last edited:
Let them know you'd prefer to be on the floor and if it's dead up front you'd like to be moved. If they need backup you can be the first responder to get pulled back since beauty is so close-by. I did this last BF and I ended up only needing to go up a bit to cover a few breaks. We had every register running so it wasn't that bad.

Is it cashiering that you don't want to do or do you not want to work that day? If you don't want to cashier, then try swapping shifts with somebody who has a fulfillment shift. We have loads of people scheduled for fulfillment and half don't want to move their asses at all if they even show up and would gladly switch.

I disagree. It wouldn't be smart for Target to hire more people just for a few busy days of the season. It makes much more sense for them to take people from areas on the floor that won't be very busy on those days.
Maybe from a payroll perspective it makes more sense. But I'll tell you, and this isn't so much about Black Friday but Target in general: the biggest complaint we get at my store is that it's difficult for guests to find someone to get help. That's either because there are people up for backup, or there's only one person in electronics and they're either going up for their reshop, getting something in the back, or on their break. And then someone in Toys has to cover the electronics break and guests are wondering "why isn't anyone in Toys?!?"

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to my cashier shift on BF. I'm more or less running the front that day and it will be one of my last cashier shifts

Back