Archived Availability problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started at Target in September 2015, and right up until August 2016 I had open availability but it was then that I got another job. Now I work overnight from 10pm-6am and put that I was available every night except for Sundays and Mondays. It went through the computer and got approved so I thought all was good. Now mind you, for about 7 weeks I did not get scheduled on those days.

Then in the beginning of October, I was on for a Sunday night, so I thought oh ok, someone made a mistake, I got the shift covered and all was good. Then two Sundays later I was put on again, I told a TL my situation and he took me off. Then for two weeks again, I wasn't scheduled.

Then in November I was put on for a Sunday, and then the following Monday and each time I had them switch me to a different day and they moan and groan about it...now mind you during all this I told all my TL's numerous times I wasn't available. I also told my HR Etl when she was finding out everyone's holiday availability that Sundays and Mondays were no good for me, AND I told my overnight ETL.

But it's STILL happening as I was on for two Sundays ago and I am on the schedule for next Monday the 19th!! I was able to get it covered but this is getting really annoying. Then they had the audacity to have a huddle and point out that some people feel they can make their own schedules but that's not the case, it's based on store needs and I JUST KNOW that was directed at me.

So guys...advice? Lol. Are they just stupid and keep forgetting? Do they not care? What should I do? Should I just let it be and keep getting thr days covered if I'm scheduled? I mean what is the point of even being able to set your availability if management won't honor it?

P.s. Sorry for long post but wanted you guys to have a clear picture of my situation...

So, they are scheduling you outside your (approved) availability? If that's the case, they know they are doing it. Our HR TMs have stated that the scheduling system flags people scheduled outside their availability. When the schedule comes out, immediately let leadership and whoever makes your schedule know that you have been scheduled outside your availability and that they need to get that fixed. It is NOT your responsibility to find coverage. Once you get the schedule maker having to fix the problem that they have created, the problem should stop.

Yes I put in the system that I was NOT available on those nights and it was approved. Says 'approved' right next to the request on my time.
And I am still being scheduled. And I have let them all know numerous times (this is 3 TL's, an ETL and an HR ETL) and it's still happening that's why I'm so frustrated.

Yes I put in the system that I was NOT available on those nights and it was approved. Says 'approved' right next to the request on my time.
And I am still being scheduled. And I have let them all know numerous times (this is 3 TL's, an ETL and an HR ETL) and it's still happening that's why I'm so frustrated.

To get to the bottom of it you need to figure out who is writing the schedule for your department. It is probably your ETL or HR. Once you figure out who does you need to tell them to stop scheduling you and you should be firm about it.

You filling the schedule though swap shifts is doing them a favor. It is not okay for them to schedule you outside your availability without your permission. Obviously busy days like Thanksgiving and Black Friday are an exception but with seasonal hires they should be able to put someone else in for you.

Yea they really don't give a shit about your availability. Either find someone to work for you or call out.

Ask HR or a TL to pull up your actual availability as myTime shows it.

I've had mine somehow get changed without my knowledge to something different than what was listed as my last submitted availability change. Iprinted out the page in myTime self service that shows the last approved change date, then went into it and printed that page as well, and I showed it to the HRTM. She pulled it up in myTime and could see that it was different so she had me re-submit my availability and she approved it right away.

I agree. Find out who is writing your schedule and go directly to them. Also, as soon as you are scheduled outside your availability that is the time to see them about it. We've had to deal with people in the past who would let us know they were scheduled outside their availability a day or two ahead of when they were supposed to work. Schedules are usually done two weeks in advance so there is little excuse to wait until the last minute to alert leadership.

I know ASANTS but in our store the TLs actually write the bulk of the schedules for their depts and not the ETLs. We had a new TL scheduling at one point who had trouble remembering everyone's availability and we had more than a few TMs having trouble with their schedules. We eventually printed out our availabilities and crossed off our TM #s and put our names on them and gave them to her. She kept them in a book in her drawer and pulled them out every time she wrote the schedule until she got the hang of it. I know there will be people out there who would do this sort of thing intentionally and not care because it's actually kind of hard to fill out the schedules and cover all bases and still make everyone happy. But don't assume it's intentional even if it is repetitive. You have one availability to keep track of and they have to remember every TMs availability in their dept.

Regardless, I'd keep after them. You shouldn't be expected to cover shifts they know in advance that you can't work.

I know ASANTS but in our store the TLs actually write the bulk of the schedules for their depts and not the ETLs.

That sounds like a nightmare. Why not just have the HR department do their job and write the schedule?

All we do in our store is let HR know how many people we need and when we need them and they they do the rest. It's basically the same outline for each week with the exception of plano.

That sounds like a nightmare. Why not just have the HR department do their job and write the schedule?

All we do in our store is let HR know how many people we need and when we need them and they they do the rest. It's basically the same outline for each week with the exception of plano.

Cause the HR doesn't know what pricing, backroom, POG and In-Stocks needs. My store those TL's sit down and write it pretty much together since they share people. And they know who is good at what. Also so having me as backroom doesn't get repeated. I don't drive the Wave since meds I take make it a really bad idea.

I cant speak for everyone but it is very rare for HR to write all schedules (neither do we have the time for that) At my store HR only writes the front end, the one I trained at only hardlines/softlines.

I think what happens is ETLs want the power to have their best people get the most hours so they write their own schedules. Plus they know their needs best (is there an ad? Projects? Etc)

As HR we are trained very differently to focus on equality and not screwing over the ETLs non favorites.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone. The problem is I keep telling them, as soon as the schedule comes out I make them aware and make them change it. But they bitch about it and then like I said, had the huddle about TM's not making their own schedules. And it STILL keeps happening. Eventually I'm gonna get so fed up and just not show

Do they actually have to write / figure out everyone's schedules every week? I thought it was just some automated computer system that makes the schedules, with adjustments by TL/HR, etc. I also wondered if TL's scheduled people certain days or times for a reason

I wonder if your HR dept is bigger than ours and has more hours on the clock. I hear in some stores HR answers the phone, not the operator and they take care of calling to cover call offs. In our store (we're low volume) the operator answers the phones and calls through the rolodex when they need someone to cover.

I think it depends on the work center. If I let the computer pull the schedule, I have no openers on some days--believe me people want their coffee in the morning, lol. It would be more than just adjustments to fix it. I do have certain people I schedule at certain times for specific reasons.

Some Tl write schedule with TM availability showing our flow TL does not. Just schedules and acts surprised when tm doesnt show up. Double check with your HR to see what scheduler has as your availability when it is open. You are not responsible for shifts outside of your approved availability.

I brought up the fact I they were doing it and the ETL who was doing it looked embarrassed and the only response my ETL-HR gave me was to find another job because the needs of the customers come first. It forced me to quit and after many years of working for Target.

I think this happens at most stores. Ours does it. A team member got fired because they scheduled him on days he was unavailable and needed to work his second job. This happened repeatedly so he just started not showing up. It seems ETLs do not understand spot does not pay a 100% livable wage and some need 2 jobs.

Have a sit down talk with ETL-hr and let it be known all of these points so that it will have been said and your ass is covered.

Thanks for the responses everyone. The problem is I keep telling them, as soon as the schedule comes out I make them aware and make them change it. But they bitch about it and then like I said, had the huddle about TM's not making their own schedules. And it STILL keeps happening. Eventually I'm gonna get so fed up and just not show

Which goes back to the question who writes your schedule. Making an HRTM change it when your ETL writes it never fixes the problem.

Do they actually have to write / figure out everyone's schedules every week? I thought it was just some automated computer system that makes the schedules, with adjustments by TL/HR, etc. I also wondered if TL's scheduled people certain days or times for a reason

The computer system is a joke. Maybe 25% of what it writes gets changed or adjusted. Sometimes it will leave you without a closer/opener etc.

If we have an ad or several resets people will get a specific schedule our HL TLs have came in at 2-4am before.

We also have days ETL SL will bring in all her strong people, especially when she is not there.

Which goes back to the question who writes your schedule. Making an HRTM change it when your ETL writes it never fixes the problem.

My ETL makes the schedule. He's the one I tell. He still screws up the following week.

My ETL makes the schedule. He's the one I tell. He still screws up the following week.

ETL HRs get final approval on schedules. I would let them know so they could double check your ETLs work.

So I told them they need to stop scheduling me against my availability, that I have it set for a reason...Sundays and Mondays off!!!!

What do they do?

Put me on Sunday the 25th...and then Saturday the 31st to come in at 3pm when my availability doesn't start until 10pm...what is with these people??

Starting to get burned out from this BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back