Backroom Accuracy Indicator (BAI)

You can still do all of that without the anudit and the wave .
The way I had it was a sheet with all the upper location for each aisle in receiving .
My store has a binder with all the upper location labels, but using audit is still much quicker. Nothing beats typing in the location, scanning everything on the pallet, and throwing it up.

I use a barcode generator. I got the idea after the one that was in the myStore app was decommissioned. I also create private greenfield reports that allow me to display various things I might need barcodes for.

Lots of potential for misuse, so I don't tend to share this idea with TMs anymore. One of my former TMs was using it to pull bulk/recv locations but occasionally forgetting to actually pull the item. I don't remember what clued me in that he was using a generator, but my suspicion was confirmed, and just had to ask him to stop if he was going to make mistakes

How many of these errors were caused by a TM that wasn't trained properly and is no longer around?

Like I mentioned in other threads (regarding priority pull percentages) just telling me I have errors without showing the actual numbers is pointless.

Last edited:
How many of these errors were caused by a TM that wasn't trained properly and is no longer around?

Like I mentioned in other threads (regarding priority pull percentages) just telling me I have errors without showing the actual numbers is pointless.

Scan data only goes back 30 days.

You can still do all of that without the anudit and the wave .
The way I had it was a sheet with all the upper location for each aisle in receiving .
We just print the upper locations and stick them on the underside of the steel at/near eye level where you're backstocking into that location.

No running around looking for a book as it's right there at eye level for every upper location.

I thought that was the old way, and this way is more to find out who actually created the mistake, not the one who found it?
That's my understanding, after a TL told me about this yesterday.
And this is why I refused to back out of a pull to audit a waco with the old way. My contention was that I wanted the error to show up on a report somewhere so awareness would be brought to the fact that errors were being made, even if it wasn't known which TM was making mistakes.
Oddly enough, I found two errors while back stocking in one section of my back room space yesterday. Wasn't looking for them, just back stocking the same items and happened to stumble on an undercount for one and for the other was putting the same product in a neighboring waco and noticed the zebra didn't direct me to the waco where the product already was.
Now if only we can get to some level of accountability with which TMs do a sloppy job of pushing the batches late in the day.

I thought that was the old way, and this way is more to find out who actually created the mistake, not the one who found it?
With the old way, Team Member A would hit All Items Scanned and no one would know that all these items got deleted from the location. Then Team Member B would come into that location and an error would be created with their name attached to it.

With this new reporting, we will see every time TM A hits All Items Scanned (or Cannot Find Item, which I think is the new term) so we can go talk to that person and make sure they're checking every item before hitting that button.

The old way showed who found the mistake. The new reporting shows TMs who are doing things that can lead to mistakes.

With the old way, Team Member A would hit All Items Scanned and no one would know that all these items got deleted from the location. Then Team Member B would come into that location and an error would be created with their name attached to it.

With this new reporting, we will see every time TM A hits All Items Scanned (or Cannot Find Item, which I think is the new term) so we can go talk to that person and make sure they're checking every item before hitting that button.

The old way showed who found the mistake. The new reporting shows TMs who are doing things that can lead to mistakes.
The new reporting is the old way before modernization.
If A was going to pull and hit move and B then went and scanned there the error would show to A .
Now you have can’t find or items not found but back in the day was move and skip .

I audit a lot but rarely did "all items scanned".

If the item is not there I was just audit the location because they might be other items missing.

I find it funny that best practices wants only 3 DCPIs a location.

Good luck with that.

I audit a lot but rarely did "all items scanned".

If the item is not there I was just audit the location because they might be other items missing.

Good luck with that.
Best practices is what it says, the best practice. That doesn't mean you can always achieve it, but it would be best practice to do so.

We have sections that can easily support 1 DPCI per waco. Some, no chance to get by with just 3.

I certainly don't enjoy trying to dig through OTC wacos with sometimes 5 DPCIs per, but it is what it is if the DC decides it wants to dump on you.

I was recently doing a system led backroom audit and came upon Style Hang where there were three backroom location hangers, but only one of them was being used for the whole bar, which is of course, the location I was asked to audit. Seeing an opportunity for correction, and prior to completing the audit, I split the clothing between the three locations, updated the two empty locations and then proceeded to update the location that was requested.

The result was that I received 8 non-thorough manual audits to my name, despite the fact that everything was completely accurate. It's possible there was a more roundabout way of accomplishing the same task, but I'm at a loss this moment what that might be.

Still I think, that if questioned and explained my actions, there'd be no consequences. Yet, theoretically, the BAI score would suffer as a result.

So, some work to do yet...

Just yesterday I was looking for an item for a fellow TMs OPU.

I didn't find that item but a similar item in a WACO.

There were 4 DCPIs in the location but only 1 was located (not the similar one).

I then audited the location to correct it.

How does something like that show up in the BAI?

I used to be able to do this, even with my OTC wacos, until my back room space was reconfigured to what corporate wants. That took away a bunch of wacos so the bottom shelves could be closed case, which rarely gets used for that purpose for OTC product. I still use the space because I can't afford to waste it, but for different stuff. And the OTC wacos have more than 3 DPCIs, sometimes quite a few more.

I used to be able to do this, even with my OTC wacos, until my back room space was reconfigured to what corporate wants. That took away a bunch of wacos so the bottom shelves could be closed case, which rarely gets used for that purpose for OTC product. I still use the space because I can't afford to waste it, but for different stuff. And the OTC wacos have more than 3 DPCIs, sometimes quite a few more.
Our back room space got reduced greatly when they remodeled with those idiotic Montel Movable walls.

My store never got those. Good thing, from what I've read about them.
Supposedly no new remodels got them.

Montels are literally set up to save space only if you have to move them every couple of days not every hour.

That's why a lot a libraries use them to store books that aren't pulled much.

I was recently doing a system led backroom audit and came upon Style Hang where there were three backroom location hangers, but only one of them was being used for the whole bar, which is of course, the location I was asked to audit. Seeing an opportunity for correction, and prior to completing the audit, I split the clothing between the three locations, updated the two empty locations and then proceeded to update the location that was requested.

The result was that I received 8 non-thorough manual audits to my name, despite the fact that everything was completely accurate. It's possible there was a more roundabout way of accomplishing the same task, but I'm at a loss this moment what that might be.

Still I think, that if questioned and explained my actions, there'd be no consequences. Yet, theoretically, the BAI score would suffer as a result.

So, some work to do yet...
Your mistake was fixing it before completing the system audit .
The system send you there for a reason to begin with . It thinks there’s an item that was pulled and was told that it pulled all , very common for bullseye and style because some gets backstock as bulk even if it’s not. Or simply at one point something was there and never pulled so the system it’s checking items that should be there. And if it isn’t that’s how it’s being corrected .
Always complete the audit before you fix it . Because essentially the audit is for you to fix it thru the system audit .

Scan data only goes back 30 days.
And you can dig into the specific errors by location, item, etc. The data is definitely there; leadership just needs to dig and determine if it was a one off error, a pattern, or something worse.

Your mistake was fixing it before completing the system audit .
The system send you there for a reason to begin with . It thinks there’s an item that was pulled and was told that it pulled all , very common for bullseye and style because some gets backstock as bulk even if it’s not. Or simply at one point something was there and never pulled so the system it’s checking items that should be there. And if it isn’t that’s how it’s being corrected .
Always complete the audit before you fix it . Because essentially the audit is for you to fix it thru the system audit .
Yes. I see that. I was hoping to avoid double work by having to scan everything twice. So now I know that won't work!

Supposedly no new remodels got them.

Montels are literally set up to save space only if you have to move them every couple of days not every hour.

That's why a lot a libraries use them to store books that aren't pulled much.
This isn’t BAI related, but my store has montels for their OPU hold space and it is the single most stupid decision I swear they could have ever made. It already slows down pulls, but literally makes drive up rushes awful and a little dangerous.

This isn’t BAI related, but my store has montels for their OPU hold space and it is the single most stupid decision I swear they could have ever made. It already slows down pulls, but literally makes drive up rushes awful and a little dangerous.
During our remodel they added racks to the ceiling in two new areas.

However there are no ladders.

During our remodel they added racks to the ceiling in two new areas.

However there are no ladders.
Target does a lot of really questionable things.

The last remodel I was on was for our district office store. The plans were to shrink the district office by quite a lot and give the extra space to the store for light duty. The store was also getting the DriveUp expansion, so there was going to be a designated area in the parking lot with a DriveUp door at the front corner of the building leading to it.

They turned the old district office space into light duty for GM/SS and gave older light duty space near the front of the store to DriveUp. I get why they put it in the front, but two things:
1. The district office has a large parking lot of its own and since only the DSD and assistant would be there somewhat regularly, there are plenty of unused spots.
2. The district office has lower ceilings, so the light duty that was installed had to be shorter than normal. This meant the cotterman ladders didn’t fit right and had to be slanted to not hit the lights (safety issue all its own).

Give those two things, I can’t stop wondering why they didn’t just make that the new DriveUp expansion area instead. All the light duty they were given is the normal height, meaning most of it goes unused even during the holiday rush. The shorter light duty aisles in the old district office wouldn’t even need ladders (safety issue resolved) while still giving just as much usable space to the DriveUp team without taking space away from the rest of the store.

Originally I chalked it up to Target wanting the DriveUp lot being in front of the building, but the store I helped open last year had its DriveUp lot to the side of the building instead, exactly where the district office lot was at the store with the remodel, so I’m just left confused by the whole thing.

Back