Archived Backroom workload and hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the new push to shift hours from logistics to salesfloor/instocks my Backroom schedules have been cut pretty drastically. So I had a few questions for the other backroom/logistics leaders out there.

-How many hours do you schedule Backroom per truck day? (Assume it's 1 truck, 6am unload)
-How late is Backroom scheduled till on truck days?
-How many hours do you schedule on non truck days and what time do they start/end?
-Does your Backroom team set the line before they leave or does flow do it in the morning?
-Does your Backroom pull price change? If so do you have them do it at night or the next day?
-How does your store handle Flexible fulfillment at night? Assuming you are not sfs. Do you have Backroom scheduled to cover them or which workcenter covers?

6am start 1 truck 1brtm 6-230, 1brtm 2-930. Closer sets the line and pulls pc. Ff is always the brtm responsibility except for at xmas when sfs team was big.
Non truck days same hours, but brtm has to pull autos then push them. Cafs are always pushed by sf.

1. 4-5 Tms scheduled on truck days, 5 tms on the heavier workload days of Monday and Tuesday. We are testing receiving a truck everyday regardless of truck size, so 7 trucks 6am store
2. 3 5:30-12pm shifts, 2 5:30-2 shifts, 1 2-10pm shift
3. No non truck days
4. Yes, backroom tm sets the line at night before they leave
5. Yes, backroom tm pulls the price change batches in the evening after they drop
6. Closing backroom tm handles flexible fullfillment. We are a SFS store so we can pull that tm if needed to help.

6am start 1 truck 1brtm 6-230, 1brtm 2-930. Closer sets the line and pulls pc. Ff is always the brtm responsibility except for at xmas when sfs team was big.
Non truck days same hours, but brtm has to pull autos then push them. Cafs are always pushed by sf.
So on truck days you're still only scheduling 2 TM's for a total of 15 hours? Are you scan or push all?

Correct. We are a scan process. But our flow team does all the truck bs.
Ahh that makes much more sense then. My store is entirely backroom based to I'm looking for stores similar to that, thank you though!

5 BR for trucks (all short shifts): two 6-10, one 8-12, one 10-2 (normally pulls research/pog batches, etc.), and the closer 12-830

3 on non truck days, one at 6-10, one at 6-11/1130, and the closer 12-830

The line is supposed to be set, but usually isn't finished. So myself (key carrier) and three flow tm's come 30 minutes early to finish setting, prep the floor (z-racks, carts for repack breakouts, trash cages) and start the truck.

Price change is always pulled at night before the closer leaves.

BR closer is responsible for all SPU's, after he leaves the closing LOD is then responsible until close.

5 BR for trucks (all short shifts): two 6-10, one 8-12, one 10-2 (normally pulls research/pog batches, etc.), and the closer 12-830

3 on non truck days, one at 6-10, one at 6-11/1130, and the closer 12-830

The line is supposed to be set, but usually isn't finished. So myself (key carrier) and three flow tm's come 30 minutes early to finish setting, prep the floor (z-racks, carts for repack breakouts, trash cages) and start the truck.

Price change is always pulled at night before the closer leaves.

BR closer is responsible for all SPU's, after he leaves the closing LOD is then responsible until close.
Is your store scan or push all and do you know what your average truck size is? Your schedules are pretty similar to mine.

- BR is scheduled 8 hours on truck days
- They work, ideally, until all of the backstocking is done, which usually takes them until 2:30 or 3 PM
- On non-truck days, they're scheduled 5 to 6 hours, starting at 6AM and ending at 11 or 12
- Flow Team Lead sets the line in the morning, not the BR
- Price change is pulled in the mornings.
- Simple answer: They don't. Again, it's left for the morning crew.

I'm not a leader, so I don't know exact numbers, but I'll post anyways.

We've got 2 morning BRTMs on truck days, plus 2 BR/Flow TMs (they start Flow and then switch to BR after lunch) The 4 of us work 6-2:30 on truck days (1100-1900pc trucks) and 7-3:30 on non-truck days. We also have a mid BRTM who works like 10-5:30 or 12-7:30 if it's a weekend.

BR is responsible for Flex orders and then it becomes the LOD's duty once BR has left for the day.

Our morning routine is to help set the line until the audit drops, audit, autofills, price change, and 12-steps. By this point a little bit of backstock is starting to trickle back and we can start doing that.

I'd say we come clean on 85% of our trucks, and most of the time if we don't come clean it's because something else was thrown into the workload like helping pull/bs POG stuff, pulling research, etc.

Our backroom team is pretty solid most days, and our Flow team has gotten significantly better recently but it's still our achilles heel. Obviously this impacts the performance of BR, because it takes longer for stuff to get back to us (or it's an absolute mess when it's brought back, thus significantly increasing the time it takes to backstock)

Our backroom gets around 260 hours (B volume, 4-5 trucks a week).

We have 4-5 BRTMs working until 2:30pm (so 32-40 hours). The closer works 1:30-10pm

On non-truck days we have 1 TM working 6-2:30 plus at least two TMs scheduled to help pull (about 3 hours worth of help scheduled). The closer works 1:30-10pm.

The Flow TL makes sure the line is cleared after every truck, so the only thing left on it is pulls and stacked pallets. The closer sets the line and clears the docks. The Flow TL and two TMs come in at 5:30 to stage the trash cages, add flats to their spots on the line, make changes to the back side for transition freight, etc.

Backroom closer pulls price change as soon as it drops.

We do have an SFS TM to cover FFs, but if there is nobody scheduled or they call off, the BR closer will cover it. There are never more than a few per night during this time of year.

We are 6am push all.

Some standard answers first:
Backroom has to set line the night before a truck. Anything you can prep the day before a truck needs to be done to make sure the flow team can be as productive as possible.

Ideally, you want you pull price changes the night they drop for the same reason you want to set the line the night before. There is less going on during the evening and you want the next morning to be as productive as possible because they have truck/autos/pog they need to focus on.

We are not SFS. This answer probably is not-so-standard, but, our Backroom TMs are scheduled until 9:30 in order to cover SPU. That may sound little late for stores with no hours, but this backroom TM is expected to push all of the CAFs and then help zone the area closest to the backroom. So, after the pulls are complete, the Backroom TM basically becomes a Salesfloor TM.

On non-truck days we schedule an opener from 6-2ish depending on hours, a mid 9-2ish, and a closer 1-9:30. While that may look like a lot of hours, in a low volume store, all of the Backroom TMs are expected to chip in elsewhere as needed. We operate on the theory that it's easier to schedule a Backroom TM who can push/zone than it is to schedule another TM who can help pull/backstock.

On truck days, the best advice I can give you is to consider all hours Logistics hours, not separate hours for backroom and flow. You'll still have your core Backroom TMs and core Flow TMs, but you need a handful who are easily interchangeable between workcenters.

On Monday's, we get 155ish hours for Logistics for the whole day, Wednesday is 120ish and Friday is somewhere in the middle. We are not P-Fresh and on Monday and Friday we push the food deliveries. My receiver pushes the candy delivery.

You're given a chunk of hours to complete Logistics on truck days, it doesn't matter what workcenter you allocate the hours to, the line/backroom need to come as clean as possible. As you know, no truck is the same, so you need to shuffle TMs between Backroom/Flow as you see fit in order to come clean. If you're in a pinch, prioritize coming clean in the Backroom because anyone in the store can pitch in and push something to catch up. I hope that makes sense.

Is your store scan or push all and do you know what your average truck size is? Your schedules are pretty similar to mine.
We scan most of our trucks. If it's less than 1600 than we'll just push it all. Our trucks vary in size greatly, but usually it's:
Monday - 2000-2300
Wednesday - 1700-2000
Friday - 1400-1800
Saturday (very rare) ~ 1200

My boss got all pissy because the team isn't staying "the entire shift" even though we're staying what we're scheduled. If she wanted us to stay 4-12 then schedule us. Don't get mad we leave, some people got shit to do. Now some of us are working 4 - 11 and some 5-12. Only 4 on a truck maximum and 3 if we're lucky on a no truck day. And we're one of the stores that made decent money during 4th quarter.

well they performanced out the BRTL and the FLOW took over for now. so our BR team is basically an extension of flow.
POG is pissed. none of their REVs or POGs get pulled because flow TL says "POG takes care of POG the same way market takes care of market!" hes even taken 2 SFS TMs to do backstock as only 1 is needed for that job and they do FF as well. when ETL LOG is spoken to about this he claims Flow TL would 'never' do that. ugh ....

but at least backroom is clear! 9_9 nevermind the errors the Flow TMs in the back are making by putting things behind things that are different from each other. when this was addressed to flow TL he said the auditors know to look behind things when counting. so .... were looking forward to a bad inventory.

Interesting they performanced out the BRTL without a backup, they had to feel that the Flow TL would do marginally better in the meantime. Flow TMs can stay out of my backroom, though.

well they performanced out the BRTL and the FLOW took over for now. so our BR team is basically an extension of flow.
POG is pissed. none of their REVs or POGs get pulled because flow TL says "POG takes care of POG the same way market takes care of market!" hes even taken 2 SFS TMs to do backstock as only 1 is needed for that job and they do FF as well. when ETL LOG is spoken to about this he claims Flow TL would 'never' do that. ugh ....

but at least backroom is clear! 9_9 nevermind the errors the Flow TMs in the back are making by putting things behind things that are different from each other. when this was addressed to flow TL he said the auditors know to look behind things when counting. so .... were looking forward to a bad inventory.

No they don't. They scan either label or the first thing and everything behind it is counted as that first thing. Let me guess? He didn't have then take things out of shrink wrap either?

Interesting they performanced out the BRTL without a backup, they had to feel that the Flow TL would do marginally better in the meantime. Flow TMs can stay out of my backroom, though.
it was the ETL LOG way of protecting himself. ETL LOG spends his every day with POG. so when backroom had issues he demanded the BRTL start doing write ups. thing was, BRTMs at night were being pulled out to push CAFs and help with evening zone. so ELAs werent getting done as such. BRTL said he wouldnt write someone up for something that was out of there control, then BRTL got put on final warning. went on VK and on their first day out the STL said that BRTL isnt with us anymore theyve been promoted to guest. BRTL came back from VK asking why he was getting texts if he was on VK or termed? wasnt seen since. i understand the whole BR team and that now former TL dailed the hotline. its been 2 weeks so yeah s/hes gone.
flow TL is former BRTM .... but shouldnt be allowed to work in the BR at all!

No they don't. They scan either label or the first thing and everything behind it is counted as that first thing. Let me guess? He didn't have then take things out of shrink wrap either?

trust me i know what they do. a typical shelf is say ... 10 small boxes each with a different bar code on it right? BUT! behind those there maybe say ... a cooler or a larger long box etc, and you cant always see whats behind the smaller boxes. in other cases, there's 20 cases of product on a shelf located ... but you may be able to only see 10 of those, but 20 different DPCI.

oh! and wacos that are over flowing and full cases in wacos too. but flow TL says it doesnt matter. ETL LOG? "eh ... you dont know who did that, so ... just LOCU and fix it."

All our brtms keep getting injured or fired so it's just an opener and closer with guy rotating the other two guys day off

Opening is 8 to 430 and closing is 12 to 830. 4 hour over lap for the cafs and post flow bs.

Is it written some where that Plano should be pulling their own POGs? Or that a store to store decision. Plano would get behind and blame backroom for not pulling in time for them to work it. Hard to do on some days when everyone and their brother are dropping sales planners and POG fills! We pull everyone's batches! Have walked into 70 batches before!!!

Is it written some where that Plano should be pulling their own POGs? Or that a store to store decision. Plano would get behind and blame backroom for not pulling in time for them to work it. Hard to do on some days when everyone and their brother are dropping sales planners and POG fills! We pull everyone's batches! Have walked into 70 batches before!!!
ASANTS. It all depends on who gets the hours. No work centers get scheduled the hours they are supposed to, but some are surely closer than others. In our store, LOG gets the priority with hours, so the backroom pulls POGs.

Yeah there are times that pog pulls there own batches at my store, and there are times backroom pulls them. Hell there are times when I pull them and I'm on instocks. As for salesplanners, it's the same thing. Really all depends on how the backroom is going, if it's in bad shape salesfloor can expect to pull their own salesplanners. Instocks is pretty much the only team that has to pull their pulls 98% of the time. The only time we don't is when backroom is 100% clean and bored. Even then they sometimes don't and just do empty location reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back