Archived Being denied a 15 minute break?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a GSA who did this kind of crap all the damn time. He would cross out a cashier's break on the break out but wouldn't actually give them their break. The asshole even did this with people's lunch breaks which resulted in me making a mad dash to the time clock on more than one occasion. It was because of this that he got his butt fired and got me in the habit of finding out when my breaks are scheduled back when I was a cashier.

Isn't it illegal?
Yup. I don't care what position I'm in, I'll never work on my break or intentionally miss one. Don't care if the work isn't done. That's what more hours and overtime are for. Besides when you're on break target isn't covered by insurance so if you fuck up bad enough to need that not only could you be sued personally but target could also be sued (if someone has a better grasp of this please correct me).

Isn't it illegal?

That's complicated.
It's against company practice but most states don't have rules on the 15s.
Some do which is why Spot has the rules and most have the 30/45 minute break laws.
So if you get screwed out of your 15 you can saw it's against the rules but in most places you can't say it's illegal.

Technically, your ETL has used a loophole by getting you to "voluntarily" work through your breaks. From what I read, he never said "Don't take a break", but just never mentioned that you were supposed to take one.
If you ask your ETL for a break and he doesn't want to give it to you, the most he can say without breaking the rules is "take it later". So he might ask you to wait another 30 minutes. You can agree to this, but then when 30 minutes pass, get on your walkie and announce the time and that you're taking your break.
Your ETL can't ask you to work if you already started your break. He knew that, and that's why he was pretending he didn't know if your break was over or not. If you put your foot down and straight out say: "Are you asking me to work on my break?" he has no choice but to back down. The ETLs can't afford to have it on record that they asked you to work on your break.
Next time, don't cut your breaks short. Target is not going to benefit from having you work an extra 5 minutes.

Technically, your ETL has used a loophole by getting you to "voluntarily" work through your breaks. From what I read, he never said "Don't take a break", but just never mentioned that you were supposed to take one.
If you ask your ETL for a break and he doesn't want to give it to you, the most he can say without breaking the rules is "take it later". So he might ask you to wait another 30 minutes. You can agree to this, but then when 30 minutes pass, get on your walkie and announce the time and that you're taking your break.
Your ETL can't ask you to work if you already started your break. He knew that, and that's why he was pretending he didn't know if your break was over or not. If you put your foot down and straight out say: "Are you asking me to work on my break?" he has no choice but to back down. The ETLs can't afford to have it on record that they asked you to work on your break.
Next time, don't cut your breaks short. Target is not going to benefit from having you work an extra 5 minutes.
There is no loophole, if someone really didn't like you, you can be terminated for not taking your 15s. You can't voluntarily not take them, though so many people do.

Ctfu. Try working at a gas station. U think target treats you like slaves...y'all ain't seen shit. Try pulling a double with no break at all.

There is no loophole, if someone really didn't like you, you can be terminated for not taking your 15s. You can't voluntarily not take them, though so many people do.

What I mean by loophole is that the ETL would not be at fault in that situation, because he didn't ask you to not take your break.

If you are actually being "denied" your breaks, go to HR or call Integrity. That practice will change pretty quickly. As others have said, your ETL cannot actually tell you not to take your required 15. They can, however, "forget" to remind you or ask you to push it back a little later.

I realize it's important to have breaks within your scheduled work. But, if I don't get a break during that time, I'd just sit in the break room for that time before I clocked out. And yeah, I know you're not supposed to do this, but you're supposed to get your breaks in a timely manner too. Tit for tat.

my state we can't voluntarily give up 15's. shit happens, and gstl/sr tl's doing their lod shifts don't get seconds. we can say this is fucked up and fight it and likely get removed.. or just go with it.

Isn't it illegal?

Possibly.

It isn't in my state.

No one over the age of 18 is required to be given breaks OR lunches in my state. They're completely optional. Target policy is still to give them to us here, but there's no legal reason they have to.

my state we can't voluntarily give up 15's. shit happens, and gstl/sr tl's doing their lod shifts don't get seconds. we can say this is fucked up and fight it and likely get removed.. or just go with it.

In my state they are then supposed to pay you for the 15min as in extra 15min pay.

I don't know if this is a Canadian thing or not but they are super strict with this whole 2-4-6 thing. 15 minutes 2 hours into your shift, 30 minutes 4 hours in, 15 minutes 5 hours in, etc. If you go more than 5 hours w/o a 30 minute break you go on compliance and are asked why you didn't take your break. And don't let anyone know that you're working through a 15 minute break, even if you have a ton of work to do. They say that they want us to enjoy our time off but I'm pretty sure they're just trying to avoid lawsuits from denying anyone a break :p

15s are more of an idea than a concrete thing. I rarely take more than 1 even on shifts that should get 2-3, and usually it is just 5-10 minutes long.

Don't know about culture in all stores, but those who are liked and respected in my store rarely take breaks and always keep them short. Technically you may be entitled to it, but there are times where the "cost" is just too great to inconvenience the rest of the team. Ideally this would never be an issue, but practically it seems to happen pretty often.

15s are more of an idea than a concrete thing. I rarely take more than 1 even on shifts that should get 2-3, and usually it is just 5-10 minutes long.

Don't know about culture in all stores, but those who are liked and respected in my store rarely take breaks and always keep them short. Technically you may be entitled to it, but there are times where the "cost" is just too great to inconvenience the rest of the team. Ideally this would never be an issue, but practically it seems to happen pretty often.

Then don't wonder why workoads get bigger. You cheat and work through breaks, you get it done but you screwed yourself doing that. Now its expected that you work miracles.

A couple of days ago I was 5 minutes in to my 15 and got asked to backup cashier. And I did it. I was very annoyed.

I'd have responded, no, sorry, I'm on break, and walked away.

GSTL (assuming that was who asked you to backup) might not have liked that answer, but they couldn't do anything about it, LOD'd surely take your side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back