Archived Black Friday 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
TMs on BF be like - I got stabbed and I'm at the Hospital
LODs be like - You still can come in though right?

Yep there were going NCNS a co-worker of mine until she sent me pictures of what was left of her car. A drunk had taken out about 5 cars on her block.. That and a police report fixed it. But they did ask for the report..
Suprised they didn't ask a TM to go pick her up so she could work.

Yep there were going NCNS a co-worker of mine until she sent me pictures of what was left of her car. A drunk had taken out about 5 cars on her block.. That and a police report fixed it. But they did ask for the report..

At my first store we had decent ETLs for the most part (the TL crowd was a bit unprofessional SOMETIMES but that's another story...). On several occasions they have picked up TMs so they could get to work, pretty commendable in my opinion.

At my first store we had decent ETLs for the most part (the TL crowd was a bit unprofessional SOMETIMES but that's another story...). On several occasions they have picked up TMs so they could get to work, pretty commendable in my opinion.

Suppose it depends. Did the ETL's make a big deal about it and hold it over the TM's heads for a long time afterwards? And did they really do it to help the TM, or did they do it so the TM couldn't use their lack of transportation as a valid excuse to call in because they thought they were lying about being unable to get a ride?

Suppose it depends. Did the ETL's make a big deal about it and hold it over the TM's heads for a long time afterwards? And did they really do it to help the TM, or did they do it so the TM couldn't use their lack of transportation as a valid excuse to call in because they thought they were lying about being unable to get a ride?
I don't think so. They just did it to help mostly.

I called in once on black Friday because my car wouldn't start. The STL drove across town and picked me up. Was scary standing on a busy street waiting for her, especially since I didn't know what she drove. This was at 4 am

Guests at my store are already asking when we'll open. :( All I know is that I'm going to work a double, because fuck split shifts, and then I'll go home and sleep for two days.

Not when you have police reports and stuff to take care of, and she was in the next city over.. Not a 20min hop to get her.. I know cause she texted me asking what to do before she called in.. I told her send me pictures and I will grab an ETL and give them the set up so they won't give you any shit. ETL wasn't happy they were short this person but the damage and photo's he wasn't going to argue. Just told her when you think you can show up, please do and they would work it out. She did..

I went home sick on BF last year. I wasn't scheduled to open (thank god); I had a 10am-6:30 pm shift on that Friday. Started backstocking... at about 11:30 I started to feel really nauseous. Not like, "Oh, I ate something for breakfast that is not agreeing with me," but "I am going to expel my entire digestive tract RIGHT NOW OH GOD." Went to my TL, he knew it was bad and let me go home without a fuss. Went home and had the worst 24 hours of my entire life. Norovirus. It was bad. Bad bad bad. Had to call in on Saturday, too.

I worked last BF. Not having a choice, I made it a point to request to work open (thank god my store didn't open til 1am as opposed to at 6 or 8 on Thanksgiving). It was the easiest as far as childcare for my daughter went. Nothing easier than babysitting a sleeping child, then giving them breakfast and being done lol. Plus I was still able to spend Thanksgiving with her. I was on from 12:45-9:15. It wasn't bad, it definitely flew by. At that point I only had worked as a cashier, so other than the constant stream of guests (until it got pretty dead about 6am) it was fairly easy. Breakroom was well stocked with Dunkins coffee (so glad it wasn't sbux lol) and they fed us well. Breaks were the most organized I've EVER seen in the 8 months I worked there. There was none of that ridiculous musical register shit that normally goes on. I was on the same register all night. Breakers would come ON TIME, cover me, then move to the next one on the list when I came back. I was surprised at how smoothly things went. Had I still been at Target, I would have definitely asked for the same shift again. But with mytime who knows.

As far as the whole BF concept goes I have no problem with people volunteering to work, and I get that not everyone feels the same way about holidays and family, but I think it's awful when people are forced to work at a job that isn't a necessity. Obvious exceptions being the life and death kind of fields... hospitals, PD, FD etc etc. I grew up with a single mom in the medical field. And it sucked really bad not being able to be with her when she worked a holiday. But really... it disgusts me that people are so greedy to make money (stores) and to save money (shoppers) that many of us are now forced to miss spending time with people that in some cases, you only see on those holidays. Distance or what not. What about the people who's families live across the country? How fair is it to make them miss seeing their entire families so retailers can make money. As far as I'm concerned, sales on BF should START on BF. Not Thursday. And people's jobs shouldn't be threatened if they can't work it.

*THIS* is how BF traffic is gonna be this year!

fkcl8g7uvlgacuftjhh8.gif

The best part of Black Friday 2014?

Finally realizing that by I won't even have to be there to witness the inevitable dog pile of shit it will turn into for my store because I will be at my new job by then.

I am considering, however, bringing in a nice plate of cookies or pie to my favorite team members that will be working that day.

Guests at my store are already asking when we'll open. :( All I know is that I'm going to work a double, because fuck split shifts, and then I'll go home and sleep for two days.

lol how pathetic...80 something days away? And they are allready getting ready for it lmao..too funny. I barely have guests asking about Haloween yet, havent heard one person mention black friday

Last edited:
This will be my first and last(unless I do it as an ETL) BF as AP. I am actually kind of excited to work the 12-14 hour opening shift and crowd management. Last year a guest snuck in with some TM's only to use the restroom, but that wont happen again this year. I think it will be an all together crazy and fun experience.

This will be my first and last(unless I do it as an ETL) BF as AP. I am actually kind of excited to work the 12-14 hour opening shift and crowd management. Last year a guest snuck in with some TM's only to use the restroom, but that wont happen again this year. I think it will be an all together crazy and fun experience.
They must have had to really go!

Open all day. The trend has been earlier and earlier, and considering how desperate Spot is, my bet is they'll go all in, no half measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back