Archived Black Friday 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think spot will open earlier than 9 this year? Wouldn't be surprised.

I'm fully expecting a 6pm start. Hoping I'm wrong, but we'll see. I've heard a few people trying to be optimistic saying the new CEO will push the time back, but if he does manage to pull that off, I don't expect to see that until next year at the earliest. And even then, I think it'll be too late if it's not already.

It would be awesome if Target pushed opening back to Friday. I don't see why that couldn't happen this year. Just keep the doors locked until midnight. If there's signage that needs to be changed, send us some stickers to place over "6pm Thursday" that say "12am Friday". Plus it wouldn't force everyone to choose between Target & the competition. Everyone can shop the competition first, and still come to Target.

It would be awesome if Target pushed opening back to Friday. I don't see why that couldn't happen this year. Just keep the doors locked until midnight. If there's signage that needs to be changed, send us some stickers to place over "6pm Thursday" that say "12am Friday". Plus it wouldn't force everyone to choose between Target & the competition. Everyone can shop the competition first, and still come to Target.

This doesn't work. I forget the figure but people spend the vast majority of their bf money at the first stop.

I say open 8 am Thursday, and give me triple pay all damn day.

They'd still profit (an extra $16 a hour per employee isn't going to hurt them with the crazy sales they'd do that day due to them being the only thing open), and the employees would actually make a living wage one week out of the year.

BLACK-FRIDAY-FUNNY-BLACK-THURSDAY-PICTURE.jpeg

This doesn't work. I forget the figure but people spend the vast majority of their bf money at the first stop.
Then they should just skip Thursday and make it Wednesday. Maybe next year.

I would love if Target ran a whole ad campaign that basically said "This year, we're letting our team members spend time with their families. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! BLACK FRIDAY 2014: Doors open at (i don't know a time)"

That would be some good publicity.

I would love if Target ran a whole ad campaign that basically said "This year, we're letting our team members spend time with their families. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! BLACK FRIDAY 2014: Doors open at (i don't know a time)"

I have an idea that could make that better.

"This year we're letting our Team Members spend time with their families, and we encourage YOU TO DO THE SAME!! For waiting until ____ you will be able to get an extra __% off between __ and ___! "

Like another poster said, people will spend most of their money at the first store, so what if Target was able to offset that somehow and make Target a good deal for waiting?

I have an idea that could make that better.

"This year we're letting our Team Members spend time with their families, and we encourage YOU TO DO THE SAME!! For waiting until ____ you will be able to get an extra __% off between __ and ___! "

Like another poster said, people will spend most of their money at the first store, so what if Target was able to offset that somehow and make Target a good deal for waiting?

That would go viral so fast. Maybe it's too early to change the plan this year but I'd love if they tried this

I'm driving 3 hours to spend 5 days with my long-distance girlfriend the Saturday after Black Friday. I already told her on that Saturday I'll be a zombie and I'm just going to want to sleep all day LOL.

I'm new to target this year so this will be my first black Friday and I was wondering do we get like hazard pay or something?

I'm wondering what my hard-coded "unavailable" on Thursday and Friday will mean in my store. Thursday is also my birthday... I will work Friday, but not Thursday. I will not bear my mothers wrath.... Last year I wasn't asked, or in on the sign-up sheets and such because I was in the pharmacy

Really, I'm just hoping my new 2nd job works out because then it because my only job in a month or so. Then it won't matter....

how about we just do normal hours on the day of thanksgiving? open at 8am, close at 10, 11, 12, whatever your store is, and start the black friday sales at, like, 6pm or something, whenever walmart opens (or maybe have it vary based on what time the nearest walmart is opening - they don't all open it at the same time). We'll blow out of all of the electronics, tvs and other doorbusters before closing, and then we can get rid of all of those pesky pillows and ice cream makers over the next two days.

I'm wondering what my hard-coded "unavailable" on Thursday and Friday will mean in my store. Thursday is also my birthday... I will work Friday, but not Thursday. I will not bear my mothers wrath.... Last year I wasn't asked, or in on the sign-up sheets and such because I was in the pharmacy

Really, I'm just hoping my new 2nd job works out because then it because my only job in a month or so. Then it won't matter....

Unless you have a really good reason, and clear it well in advance, they will probably want you to come in regardless of your availability. Granted I think you're still technically in the clear so to speak... Don't know how that would sit with them though.

It's cute when new TMs think that their "unavailable" Fridays will get them out of working Black Friday.

Edit: As is being discussed further down, there are definitely situations where a TM should be allowed to choose their shift or ask off completely.

Last edited:
Unless you have a really good reason, and clear it well in advance, they will probably want you to come in regardless of your availability. Granted I think you're still technically in the clear so to speak... Don't know how that would sit with them though.
I would like to be ASKED what I can do around my needs, as I do have it coded that way for a reason. Thursday has been unavailable since I was hired a year ago, Friday since June.

And considering my dad is in the end of a cancer fight, and it might be the last birthday/thanksgiving I have with him.... Um, I will just give my notice if it comes down to it.

I think I will go talk to my ETL-HR about it when we work at the same time next.

I would like to be ASKED what I can do around my needs, as I do have it coded that way for a reason. Thursday has been unavailable since I was hired a year ago, Friday since June.

And considering my dad is in the end of a cancer fight, and it might be the last birthday/thanksgiving I have with him.... Um, I will just give my notice if it comes down to it.

I think I will go talk to my ETL-HR about it when we work at the same time next.

It depends on your store. They may ask...they may just schedule you. Likely you'll be scheduled to be there at 4am in Friday morning if you can't work Thursday night.

So sorry to hear that.

I would hope that your ETL-HR would have a heart and schedule for a closing shift on Black Friday.

So sorry to hear about your situation!

Of course a lot of people try to get out of working Black Thurs/Fri, so unless they know why you have it marked unavailable they don't really discriminate and expect everyone to show up.

I think you're handling it perfectly by talking to your ETL-HR now so there is no confusion later, and I'm pretty sure that they'll accommodate you. If they don't, they're one cold heartless ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back