Archived Black Friday 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's cute when new TMs think that their "unavailable" Fridays will get them out of working Black Friday.

Edit: As is being discussed further down, there are definitely situations where a TM should be allowed to choose their shift or ask off completely.
A few years ago we had a gsa that was unavailable on Fridays. She was told that she still supposed to work bf. She told them no way and goodbye.

Last edited:
It'd be easier and less stress for the team members if we just had normal operating hours on Thanksgiving and stayed open until midnight. But there'd be huge backlash....lots of "Evil Corporate Target forces their employees to work on Thanksgiving!"....even though everybody already does.

Yeah...you gotta love that extra dollar an hour they throw at us until midnight...like we can't figure out it's a whole whopping $4 extra. Puh-lease.

signup now for pfresh, no one is coming in to buy bananas at 6 pm on black thursday. You might not get scheduled till 6 AM on Friday, like I did last year. Food is not really what to guest come in for on that 1 day, but the rest of the year and the week before christmas and the week before Turkey day are Hell.

I'm new to target this year so this will be my first black Friday and I was wondering do we get like hazard pay or something?

I only work on Sundays and they didn't try to schedule me for Black Friday last year... but that could just be because they commonly forget about me?

So sorry to hear about your situation!

Of course a lot of people try to get out of working Black Thurs/Fri, so unless they know why you have it marked unavailable they don't really discriminate and expect everyone to show up.

I think you're handling it perfectly by talking to your ETL-HR now so there is no confusion later, and I'm pretty sure that they'll accommodate you. If they don't, they're one cold heartless ****.
Thank you. His cancer has no "cure", with chemo the whole time they give you 5 years. We are at that point now, and his numbers have been dropping. We just don't know, no one does.

Overall my store has been decent about respecting our availability, we have a lot of older folks with limited, so I don't anticipate much of an issue.... Except things are imploding too. But bringing it up early I know would be better.

I'm still going to hope the second job I start Monday works out for me to quit Spot totally. More $ and working from home! I'm just leery of counting on it until I see how the flow goes with it. I could hate it, but then I think... Even if I hate it, could it be worse than what I'm doing??

funnyshare_org_71283606571500499_1BFlnf99_c.jpeg

AND

2b19917a61aaa2036f86712563519ef0e741ca6cf88a980469ff7595521ab4af.jpg

Only worked Black Friday once, and honestly I didn't mind it. I'll take a 12-14 hour shift if available this year just for the overtime. Even without it being a holiday it'll wind up the same as last year I worked over 50 hours that week.

signup now for pfresh, no one is coming in to buy bananas at 6 pm on black thursday. You might not get scheduled till 6 AM on Friday, like I did last year. Food is not really what to guest come in for on that 1 day, but the rest of the year and the week before christmas and the week before Turkey day are Hell.

At my store, anyone who's not a front end, sales floor, or backroom TM gets scheduled to open as crowd management. There's no way out.

@Jackswastedlife99 lol @ that first pic. That is one of my big fears, just a crowd of people each one wanting your attention & help "right now!" With no line or order at all. I could never be a bartender

One year I directed traffic at front of the Electronics line at open. Those first 10 minutes were terrifying as they came running with shopping carts, but after the crazed bargain hunters, the rest of were well behaved.

My first year as a GSA I was managing traffic in front of the checkout lanes. Was a bit insane to say the least.... Was the first year we opened at midnight and the Card Readers all went down and had cashiers Calling for Auth.

My first year as a GSA I was managing traffic in front of the checkout lanes. Was a bit insane to say the least.... Was the first year we opened at midnight and the Card Readers all went down and had cashiers Calling for Auth.

Ack, card readers down on black friday. And yeah, you'd definitely have to call that day. In the past we've fudged it and entered random #'s, but not doing that on the $1,000+ dollar transactions which are common that day.

Ack, card readers down on black friday. And yeah, you'd definitely have to call that day. In the past we've fudged it and entered random #'s, but not doing that on the $1,000+ dollar transactions which are common that day.

Actually, no one knew what to do, and the phone lines were all busy when people tried to call. I told people to just put in the last 4 digits on the card to have it go through. The GSTLs and STL were just glad things were moving again, and also started telling people to do the same. Afterwards the STL personally thanked me for saving Black Friday lol.

I agree its not the best thing to fudge, but the way we saw it, is we could push them all through and make 95-99% good transactions (my store was in a semi-wealthy suburb). Or we could just sit there doing nothing and lose all our business.

The lines were starting to back up into softlines on all 28 registers (and this was with me trying to keep as many people away from the lanes as possible)

Ahh, I know that the random # thing works, and if the STL told me to do it I'd do it, but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable making that decision myself on a large purchase.

Yeah well we were like 1+8 and things needed to move ASAP. No other leader knew that random #s worked, and all the phone lines were busy. Figured its a small price to pay.

Me on Balck Friday:

Standing in front of the green side doors blockong all guests from storming my cosmetics

The same thing happened at the sporting goods store my mom works at. Phones went down too, so they had all employees take out their cell phones and call for auth.

Then they realized that the checkout lines were going all the way to the opposite bank of registers (8 at each entrance) and entered random auth numbers. I think they only had a handful of transactions that weren't good.

Black Friday isn't that bad for me. Management at our store usually will come around and ask what you want to work (overnight/during the day etc) and often offers incentives for working doubles.

My store asked if you would be willing to work on Thursday but made it clear if you did not work Thursday you would be working Friday. I said no problem on Thursday but if they scheduled me for more than 4 hours Thursday, I would rather not work on Friday too. I think I was scheduled for 6.5 and then had off on Friday. I was home by 3am so it wasn't bad. I cashiered and it was basically a do whatever the guest says and don't call for anyone unless it was over $20 and required the override.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back