Archived Black Friday 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
One year I directed traffic at front of the Electronics line at open. Those first 10 minutes were terrifying as they came running with shopping carts, but after the crazed bargain hunters, the rest of were well behaved.

My very first year working overnight on Black Friday I remember watching the rush of people come in down the main racetrack from the front lanes, and all I could think was that it must have been how Simba felt during the wildebeest stampede in the Lion King.

I remember my first Black Friday at Target. I was in charge of giving out the big sale TVs from the back to people with tickets they handed out in line. Well, not everyone showed to claim theirs and we couldn't sell to the public until 2am. Well this guy shows up at 11pm, half my size(and im not even big) starts mouthing off on how he's gonna knock me out if we don't give him a TV. After arguing for an hour, he finally decided to give up.

Good thing too, because my first BF at Target would of been my last because had he swung at me, I would of backstocked my foot up his ass.

Last year was my first black friday in retail.

I was scheduled Friday 8am-4:30pm in softlines (my primary workcenter is now hardlines, but I was hired for softlines).

It was dead when I came in. More empty than normal. But it picked up throughout the day. I just spent the day folding tables, doing reshop, and helping guests.

Between being a minor, and then being a photo TM, I didn't get to open on black friday until 2012.

2012 as a GSA, I did the 5am-4pm shift. That turned into a 5am-8pmish shift. I spent the first hour or two managing the trickle of early morning guests, following up with FA to make sure they were on scheduled, etc. Then the rest of my day was being the GSA of the electronics boat.

Between being a minor, and then being a photo TM, I didn't get to open on black friday until 2012.

2012 as a GSA, I did the 5am-4pm shift. That turned into a 5am-8pmish shift. I spent the first hour or two managing the trickle of early morning guests, following up with FA to make sure they were on scheduled, etc. Then the rest of my day was being the GSA of the electronics boat.

Haha I remember that :D

That year my GSTL (the ex-GSA) she somehow managed to weasel her way out of working Black Friday (took time off, WTF???) so I was stuck with the New IN role (since Oct) GSTL who had no clue what he was doing. Was pretty much me running the show with a Cashier assistant to help me.

I cashiered and it was basically a do whatever the guest says and don't call for anyone unless it was over $20 and required the override.

Guest Price Challenges never require an override, I can change a $700 TV to free, it won't prompt for an override. It will however send a message to the PDA's of any supervisors.

I cashiered and it was basically a do whatever the guest says and don't call for anyone unless it was over $20 and required the override.

Guest Price Challenges never require an override, I can change a $700 TV to free, it won't prompt for an override. It will however send a message to the PDA's of any supervisors.

Assuming the alerts are working

My first overnight Black Thurs/Fri was at SB waiting for the hoards after they checked out.
The calm before chaos.

@Jackswastedlife99 lol @ that first pic. That is one of my big fears, just a crowd of people each one wanting your attention & help "right now!" With no line or order at all. I could never be a bartender
Being a bartender isn't that bad.... piss me off, and guess who's drink is mostly water?

Funny story.... We had a really bad drunk at a bar I worked at, and we ended up putting water in a vodka bottle to keep them from getting arrested (hitting my server will get you a 1 way ticket to jail). So the guy has like 20 vodka martinis, and the end of the night, his bill is $19... 2 vodka martinis, 18 waters with vermouth... I'm such an a$$hole

Black Friday '13 I was a PA, and my CTL had me wrangling the separate Apple line in electronics from eight pm to five am. I actually got to kick several people out, and spent eight straight hours (minus first lunch and one fifteen minute) yelling about what products we were out of stock on and what products we didn't carry. After 6AM when the electronics line finally completely died, I spent three hours or so helping with recovery and clean up.

I stuck around for a thirteen hour shift (7:30PM Thursday to 9AM-ish Friday) went home, slept for seven hours, went back in at 3:30 Friday and closed grocery on a normal eight hour shift.

That pay check was awesome. So much overtime. My blood was pure caffeine at that point.

My very first year working overnight on Black Friday I remember watching the rush of people come in down the main racetrack from the front lanes, and all I could think was that it must have been how Simba felt during the wildebeest stampede in the Lion King.

I remember thinking the same thing the first time I opened on Black Friday. That was back when we opened at 4AM (2010).

How the hell did he not notice?

I got the impression that he had plenty to drink beforehand.

I know I am beating a dead horse but I also know that I'm sure many retail workers especially Target minions agree that human beings shouldn't have to sacrifice their holiday and possibly rare time with family so another person can get a 32 inch tv for like 80 or 90 dollars at 8pm on Thanksgiving night.

I'm sorry but spending time with the family and/or friends on a holiday is a million times important than shopping. I don't care if you want a good deal. Family is more important than that shite. I have no sympathy for people that argue with retail workers over this. Work a Black Friday during the great recession or post great recession and then we shall talk.

Yeah well unless enough people write their congressmen to change it, that's how it will be. I think some localities have city ordinances that prevent overnights / working on Thanksgiving, but I could be wrong.

Yeah well unless enough people write their congressmen to change it, that's how it will be. I think some localities have city ordinances that prevent overnights / working on Thanksgiving, but I could be wrong.

They're called Blue Laws but the places that have them are slowly getting squeezed out.
Big box stores buy themselves a couple of city councilmen/women and get the laws changed.

They're called Blue Laws but the places that have them are slowly getting squeezed out.
Big box stores buy themselves a couple of city councilmen/women and get the laws changed.
Hm what was that phrase? Money talks? ;)

I know I am beating a dead horse but I also know that I'm sure many retail workers especially Target minions agree that human beings shouldn't have to sacrifice their holiday and possibly rare time with family so another person can get a 32 inch tv for like 80 or 90 dollars at 8pm on Thanksgiving night.

A bulletproof excuse to avoid having to spend time with family? I can't think of anything better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back