Archived Black Friday 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let the trampling for $5 toasters begin. Love it. "Oh, you were pushed out of the way and your back is broken? Could you crawl out of the way please. And while you're lying there, would you like to sign up for a redcard?"

I'd rather just be open all day than have the lines and idiocy. I could understand it all if it was for a kidney for your child. But not for a Hello Kitty toaster.

Guests at my store are already asking when we'll open. :( All I know is that I'm going to work a double, because fuck split shifts, and then I'll go home and sleep for two days.
Most of us had three shifts over those two days IIRC. Or, more specifically, a shift thursday, and a double Friday.

From memory I think I worked 8 pm - 1:45 AM, and then came back at 9 AM and stayed till 7:30 PM.

Between being a minor, and then being a photo TM, I didn't get to open on black friday until 2012.

2012 as a GSA, I did the 5am-4pm shift. That turned into a 5am-8pmish shift. I spent the first hour or two managing the trickle of early morning guests, following up with FA to make sure they were on scheduled, etc. Then the rest of my day was being the GSA of the electronics boat.

Haha I remember that :D

That year my GSTL (the ex-GSA) she somehow managed to weasel her way out of working Black Friday (took time off, WTF???) so I was stuck with the New IN role (since Oct) GSTL who had no clue what he was doing. Was pretty much me running the show with a Cashier assistant to help me.

I'm worried that I will be that "cashier assistant" this year. PM me if you have some advice! I am starting as GSTL in 2 weeks at a high volume store.

I'm worried that I will be that "cashier assistant" this year.

Sounds like something my GSTL'd have me do. I can see my store thinking it's an awesome idea too, schedule me as a cashier, but don't assign me a lane, and basically have a "GSA" making $0.75 (due to time and a half) less than if that was their workstation.

They asked me what my availability was and if I wanted to be security on Thursday. I said sure. Should be fun.

They asked me what my availability was and if I wanted to be security on Thursday. I said sure. Should be fun.
If your AP team is like mine, it'll be a blast for you. Our team takes zero crap. Once they kick a couple people out of line, things go smoothly.

Electronics line wrangling sucks though. Fun, at least.

Security sounds fun actually, don't think it's something we really need much of though, and doubt I'd be the first person they'd ask. I'm certainly the strongest person that works in the front-end, but still not exactly an imposing figure (most of our cashiers are female, there's two other male cashiers, one a teenager, one is almost 70, and then our GSTL is 30 but a gimp, he hobbles all the time due to back and leg issues) at 5'10" 135 pounds :p

I'm guessing 9pm. I saw a staffing report for black friday 2014 that was broken down by the hour, and the first hour listed was 9pm Thursday. But that's likely speculative as the final decision has yet to be made.

I kinda hope I get my same shift as last year. 3am to 11am. Busy, but not too busy. Early, but not too early. Home before noon. And the shift is long enough for me to take a lunch and eat me some Thanksgiving leftovers.

9 pm would be weird, that'd be even later than last year. I figured same time would be latest possible.

We opened at 9 last year. I know because I was scheduled 8:45p to 3:30a. And the doors opened at 9.

I think stores varied across the country. My store was 8, but I have heard of 6 and 9 also. I fully expect my store to be 6pm this year.

A paper popped up in our breakroom saying that anytime between NOON and midnight on Thanksgiving we would get paid ya-da ya-da... it caused a MAJOR uproar in our store. Of course theyre not going to release our hours for Black Thursday/Friday until mid-november. I told my HR when they told us the hours we are open I will tell them the hours I can work.

We are a mall store and my department is Starbucks. Our line looks like it belongs in a theme park. It gets so crazy that our AP team had to contain it on Black Friday.

>>Of course theyre not going to release our hours for Black Thursday/Friday until mid-november.<<

If I remember correctly, last year our hours were released about 8 days before Thanksgiving. That's so very lame.

A paper popped up in our breakroom saying that anytime between NOON and midnight on Thanksgiving we would get paid ya-da ya-da... it caused a MAJOR uproar in our store. Of course theyre not going to release our hours for Black Thursday/Friday until mid-november. I told my HR when they told us the hours we are open I will tell them the hours I can work.

I so wish I had thought of this. If they aren't going to tell us so we can plan, why should we tell them so they can plan? The consideration needs to run both ways.

Im allready expecting to probably have to go in even earlier than last year for some stupid reason and miss the Seahawks/49er game (HUGE Seahawks fan) for a quick shift and then have to be back to open pfresh....I just FEEL like im going to get screwed like that. And I will most likely have to work the night before prepping Ad like I have had to do everytime. Ive been a PA for 3 4th quarters and I dont think ive worked an actual shift in Market on Black Friday which is BS but whatever

Last year I had to be in the Toys/Electronics area with people asking me a billion questions about the products lined up all around the store even though we literally got there like 10 minutes before opening to know where everything was, and I usually only work Market so alot of things in Toys/Electronics I have no idea where they are because Target changes crap around all the time

Last edited:
AP asked me to be part of crowd control. Normally I'm in electronics, but I wouldn't mind staying away from that madness this year.

As someone that's in electronics and has been working at Target for less than a year, what should I expect?

We opened at 9 last year. I know because I was scheduled 8:45p to 3:30a. And the doors opened at 9.

I think most stores were 8 last year, and 9 the year prior, but I've heard/read that there were some outliers that were slightly different. A store a couple counties over from me has blue laws so they didn't open until after midnight both years.

AP asked me to be part of crowd control. Normally I'm in electronics, but I wouldn't mind staying away from that madness this year.
Seems like a bad plan. Electronics/toys people should be on the floor on electronics/toys where they can be 1000% more knowledgable and effective than a PA or softlines person. I don't understand the logic of asking you to do crowd control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back