Archived Black friday hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is supposed to be the big day when they announce. May the world not end. *rolls eyes*

I agree with Smurf. People b**** and moan and complain about how stores are taking away holidays from the employees and then they line up hours in advance for the sales. I saw it when I worked at Target and I see it now at Walmart. Last year our first sale started at 10 p.m. I had to be at work at 5 p.m. There were already customers lined up in the various areas waiting for not only the stuff that went on sale at 10 p.m. but also the stuff that went on sale later in the night.
I guess it's good for the nation's economy (not to mention my own bank account) but there has got to be a point where the general public says enough is enough.

thanks to those who agree with me. I am amazed that a few of you would speak up to agree. sears opening at 8. common, what does sears have anymore especially since they will be having two door buster sessions, one at 8 pm and one at 4am. Once Kmart bought Sears they went down hill so bad. I know toys are us opened up at some strange time last year too, and our mall was lined up half way around for them. Has anyone seen anything worth that in the last few years. I buy smart, I pay attention to the sales and clearance all year round. I will start my Christmas shopping for 2013 on December 26, 2012. I love the honesty on here!!!

It's funny today at lunch a bunch of TLS and someone who does the scheduling by the way one said so what time do we open anyways and the person who does the scheduling says honestly I have no idea they haven't told me. I felt like turning around saying oh please! You know what time it is stop acting like it's some secret! There have been so many whispers around this store obviously people know! :wacko: I honestly do not care what time we open up I just think it's silly when everyone comes at the time we open up and then it gets boring afterwards because frankly there wasn't anything exciting in the ad maybe this year this will change here's to hoping to that!

Last edited:
It's funny today at lunch a bunch of TLS and someone who does the scheduling by the way one said so what time do we open anyways and the person who does the scheduling says honestly I have no idea they haven't told me. I felt like turning around saying oh please! You know what time it is stop acting like it's some secret! There have been so many whispers around this store obviously people know! :wacko: I honestly do not care what time we open up I just think it's silly when everyone comes at the time we open up and then it gets boring afterwards because frankly there wasn't anything exciting in the ad maybe this year this will change here's to hoping to that!

They honestly don't know. Everything you've heard is simply guessing. ETLs and even STLs know a lot less about corporate level decision making than you think they do.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong mitt romney ~~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no presidency ~ ~

╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

Last edited:
The official word is coming out Wednesday at 10am. The SR word (that you can bet money on and win) is telling you 9PM. Ignore the 10pm post I made previously, that was just a guess.

Official time 9PM.

*sigh*
Looks like I'll be leaving right after dinner....

I told my GSTL today that I will work whatever she schedules me for that day, and she won't hear a single word out of me about it after the schedule is posted and I will be there as always ready to go. That said, I would love a closing/clean up shift so I can get to spend some time with my family out of state. She mentioned a lot of split shifts that day, and possibly giving me that. Umm...that wouldn't help. But I tried. The rest is now left up to fate, I guess.

Not sure if this is true, but earlier I was looking for planograms and ran across an email from the STL on the ETL's desk about opening at 4am for Black Friday.... Like I said, not sure if it's true....

For 2 yrs running, I closed front end (all the favs got to open). It was like a morgue.
I sent all but 1 cashier out to help on the floor to help with reshop & I helped SD sort the carts, zoned nearby depts, made silly announcements over the walkie. We were out 5 min after close.
It WAS nice to be able to sleep in while everyone else was doing the crazy shop....

I guess for now we can say somewhere in the ballpark between 9-12 am roughly possibly earlier depending but no one is sure until everyone is sure. Either way I am going to either be tossing back a ton of Red Bulls or I will be sleeping in because I got a Mid or closing shift. Hoping on the sleeping in because honestly love Red Bulls but last year was not fun with the crowding up and then dead silence after 2 am I guess we shall see! I think last year IMHO was the worst in terms of it being dead silence though usually it's so crowded! Maybe the 12 am opening really ticked people off who knows?

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong mitt romney ~~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no presidency ~ ~

╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

Last edited:
I head heard that sears was opening at 8pm a week ago. The funny part of this is, it is not Target, Walmart or any other chains fault we continue to open earlier and earlier. It is the consumer. Years ago I too used to be one of those who stood in line at 4am for the 6am openings. If the consumers would boycott those earlier hours, things would go back to 4 or 6am. we as consumers are greedy. we want more, give us bigger, better and more sales. If the consumer didn't demand the retailers wouldn't have to do this. So everyone blames the fact we have no family time on the corporate retailers when in fact it is the family you are setting down with turkey dinner that very day. Those of us that work BF, I know I haven't seen a fantastic ad from anyone in the last several years.

I know quite a few people that feel this very way.

While I agree that the early opening times for stores is mostly consumer driven, I do want to say that I have NEVER gone out to any BF sales....and NEVER plan to. This is when I get more than a bit annoyed.....the consumer driven hours became BF sales AFTER stores started their "special" BF sales. In the end, it is just a vicious cycle that will probably never end.

BTW, it wasn't too many years ago (and some places actually still do) close the stores on Sundays....and national holidays.

In the area where I live we have a significant population of people whose religious beliefs indicate that Saturday is the Sabbath. There are stores that do close on Saturday. Clearly there are those who respect and follow their beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back