Archived BLACK FRIDAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soon it'll be breakfast with how early they are pushing it every year.

Yes, and being there so late on Wed setting up gives you no time at all.

I remember setting up a breakfast table in the breakroom when it was Black FRIDAY.

Same here. I no longer worked for Target when they started pushing into Thanksgiving Day. The earliest I remember going into work was probably 2 or 3 in the morning on Black Friday.

"Black Friday" is probably the one thing I'm not looking forward to this season, especially considering I'll have to be at my day job on Friday for normal hours.

Same here. I no longer worked for Target when they started pushing into Thanksgiving Day. The earliest I remember going into work was probably 2 or 3 in the morning on Black Friday.

"Black Friday" is probably the one thing I'm not looking forward to this season, especially considering I'll have to be at my day job on Friday for normal hours.
You better tell spot about that fact. My store has all hands on deck whole weekend.

Last edited:
@Hardlinesmaster They know my availability... what I'm worried about though is working really late on Thanksgiving and then having to get up and go to work on Friday and most likely back to Target Friday night. :eek:

Opening up earlier only equates to spreading out sales-whether on Thursday or Friday.
Exactly. And this is why several major malls and mall operators across the country have said this is crazy.

I was in at 3pm last thanksgiving to pick the SFS orders. I'll probably volunteer to come in extra early again
If I remember correctly, stores with 750 peak order max and being told to schedule Thanksgiving based on 67 hours of picking and 10 hours of packing BEFORE the store opens. Plus more hours after the store opens for packing. I'm willing to bet a lot of us will be at the store a full 8 hours before opening to get it done.

I mean it is what it is. Plus that time and a half. Sign me up :p
QFT!

My local newspaper interviewed a retail analyst who youth that next year, he majority of retailers will not open on Thanksgiving due to lack of demand. He felt that most people go out for the doorbuster at one particular store and then go home. I highly doubt it will be early than 6, as the backlash on social media would be horrendous and spot I see already facing backlash from his year.
The problem with that prediction is that all it takes is one company to start the reaction of early opening. Most retailers realize they are spreading out the revenue, but at the same time they know that it pays to be the first store people shop at.

Opening up earlier only equates to spreading out sales-whether on Thursday or Friday.

Exactly. In view of Spot's new payroll slashing measures, I think corporate will be closely watching sales this year, more so than in the past. If they determine that more open hours do not equate with more sales AND they feel that they won't lose sales to other retailers, they will close on Thanksgiving.

I could easily see target saying something like "all stores closed - GO ONLINE THO!!" and having every store filled with pickers and packers. maybe even set up temporary SFS stations in stores that don't have it. 10 pallets of boxes and a printer and you're good to go!

Since my husbands immediate family has not spoken to him in months (july 4th) and he detests my moms cooking (parents live with us) i will be doing all the cooking Thanksgiving before making the 35 minute drive to work (yay?!)...we cant even go to visit his extended family in Staten Island bc there is no way id make it back in time for whatever ungodly time they decide to open.
Just keep remembering the extra $$$ and free food and ill be okay!!!

I was kinda worried for a split second that we would be closed on Thanksgiving. I need that paycheck and I live 6hrs away from any family so I won't get to see them anyway so I don't mind working. Maybe next year they'll close if more stores keep closing on Thanksgiving day.

Hubby works security. He's the site manager, so he works every holiday. Often a double shift.

I'll be working a double most likely. Triple if they let me. I've been asked if I'm interested in line duty too, which is different for me. But something I'm trained for, lol.

If I remember correctly, stores with 750 peak order max and being told to schedule Thanksgiving based on 67 hours of picking and 10 hours of packing BEFORE the store opens. Plus more hours after the store opens for packing. I'm willing to bet a lot of us will be at the store a full 8 hours before opening to get it done.
Wait I haven't heard this. Idk what my store's peak orders are this 4Q. I mean I'll probably still do it, because Thanksgiving doesn't really mean much to me holiday wise anyways... But that makes sense. Because last year didn't quite go as it should have lol

Wait I haven't heard this. Idk what my store's peak orders are this 4Q. I mean I'll probably still do it, because Thanksgiving doesn't really mean much to me holiday wise anyways... But that makes sense. Because last year didn't quite go as it should have lol
It seems like basically every store that is at 150 cap right now will be going up to 750 at peak.

I love Thanksgiving/Black Friday. The earlier we open, the easier it is for me to prep pizzas in food ave for people to not buy. But I have fun with it in Starbucks. It's a completely different day, and that makes it interesting. Plus it's one of the few weeks per year that I get to work more than 40 hours and get some time and a half.

Lol. Everyone getting mad

I'm plotting on my biggest check of the year lmao

I think it's kinda... interesting you're laughing at the people who are mad... I'm happy about your big check, and I'm happy for anyone who wants to be there, but the fact of the matter is that most people don't want to be there on thanksgiving, and for that reason alone, I find it kinda cruel of them to open so early. And yea, I'm mad about it. I say that as someone who will likely volunteer to open this year.

Last year I didn't open, but this year, if I take it, someone else can get to have thanksgiving. I just hope they don't do that thing where they make me leave thanksgiving early for a 5.5 hour shift. It's super trash. That check hasn't been my biggest though, and according to my paycheck schedule, probably won't be this year either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back