Archived California Earthquake Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMNDZ bruhh

Former Backroom Dayside
any of you california peeps working when they announced it yesterday?

Yep. I'm pretty self conscience, so crouching on the ground with my arms over my neck with guests all around was not an option. I hid out for that 45 seconds.

I've lived here all my life, I know what to do or not do, so I don't think I needed the training.

I grew up in earthquake country and was taught to go to the nearest door frame or under a table, what's this 'crouching on the ground with my arms over my neck' stuff?

I grew up in earthquake country and was taught to go to the nearest door frame or under a table, what's this 'crouching on the ground with my arms over my neck' stuff?

Makes about as much sense as children hiding under their school desks during a nuclear holocaust haha, I wonder if they still do those drills now?

Well having not lived where theres earthquakes I've got a question for you californinans lol.

Have any of you ever been at Target when theres an earthquake? I imagine even from a minor one it causes a lot of mayhem having to put stuff back on shelves/etc.

I too was in the store last year during the one that hit the mid-Atlantic States. I was walking in the backroom and felt nothing. Didn't realize it hit until the fitting room TM called over the walkie asking why everything was shaking. Only damage was to some drop ceiling supports over by HBA and chems.

not to long ago we had one but it was minor, i was sleeping in the break room when it happened and i thought it was another TM messing with me by shaking the table

as for the earthquake drill, i didnt do s***, i was way to busy to just drop to the floor. according to another salesfloor TM, there were people falling over and crawling everywhere lol

at my store it already looks like an earthquake shook cosmetics

Hmm....SF/Oakland earthquake of 1989 would have been during open hours of stores. I don't know if there were any Targets nearby at that point, then.

I heard it announced over the overhead and just kept balancing the safe. I thought about hiding under the desk but was standing at the safe when it happened lol

Edit: Didn't wanna make another reply.

Recently we had a earthquake while I was in the Cash office. I just stood up and stared at things, lol. I wish I could say where I live, lol.
But yeah, one of my Out Of State ETL's ran into TSC screaming and it was like...7 seconds long and barely shook.
LOL

Last edited:
Hmm....SF/Oakland earthquake of 1989 would have been during open hours of stores. I don't know if there were any Targets nearby at that point, then.

There were several. The Targets in that area were opened in late 1987.

i agree. i remember being taught this in school. we were given the same drill for tornadoes. if you ever look at pics, you never (or seldom) see a lone door frame standing up in the middle of the rubble after either one. i remember my teacher telling me that it's better if a beam fell to hit your arms rather than your neck because arms are replaceable. all i could think of was if a beam fell across my arms enough to crush them, im pretty sure my neck wouldn't fare any better.

I don't think there has ever been a moderate/major earthquake to hit a Target store during open hours. I heard when a moderate/major quake hit some Target stores (1994) it was in the middle of the night (4:30 a.m.). Merchandise was all over the floor so it took a couple of days to clean up. Wish I could see pictures but there aren't any. Maybe pictures were taken but they are now lost.

There have been at least 1 that I remember for certain. I saw the footage replayed on the news...

i agree. i remember being taught this in school. we were given the same drill for tornadoes. if you ever look at pics, you never (or seldom) see a lone door frame standing up in the middle of the rubble after either one. i remember my teacher telling me that it's better if a beam fell to hit your arms rather than your neck because arms are replaceable. all i could think of was if a beam fell across my arms enough to crush them, im pretty sure my neck wouldn't fare any better.

I got this from the USGS site;

"During an earthquake you should head for the doorway."
FICTION: That’s outdated advice. In past earthquakes in unreinforced masonry structures and adobe homes, the door frame may have been the only thing left standing in the aftermath of an earthquake. Hence, it was thought that safety could be found by standing in doorways. In modern homes doorways are no stronger than any other parts of the house and usually have doors that will swing and can injure you. YOU ARE SAFER PRACTICING THE “DROP, COVER, AND HOLD” maneuver under a sturdy piece of furniture like a strong desk or table. If indoors, stay there. Drop to the floor, make yourself small and get under a desk or table or stand in a corner. If outdoors, get into an open area away from trees, buildings, walls and power lines. If in a high-rise building, stay away from windows and outside walls, stay out of elevators, and get under a table. If driving, pull over to the side of the road and stop. Avoid overpasses and power lines. Stay inside your car until the shaking is over. If in a crowded public place, do not rush for the doors. Crouch and cover your head and neck with your hands and arms. You should practice the “DROP, COVER AND HOLD” method at work and at home at least twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back