Calling off through mytime

It’s not their business why.
I agree. It’s not my business why you’re calling off.

Unless you have a valid excuse (Covid, bereavement, medical restriction, FMLA, doctor’s note), if you’re demonstrating a pattern of poor attendance, I’m going to hold you just as accountable for the negative impact on the business your attendance causes regardless of the reason.

Unless you have a valid excuse (Covid, bereavement, medical restriction, FMLA, doctor’s note), if you’re demonstrating a pattern of poor attendance, I’m going to hold you just as accountable for the negative impact on the business your attendance causes regardless of the reason.
This!

What I hope is the leaders will be able to actually see who called out instead of asking one another who called out. If the person you called out to has left and didn't tell anyone that you called out it becomes a big dust up at my store and they will shred and shame the person who called out for not calling out. So I hope it makes a record everyone can see and be on the same page. Its also would be nice when you have an emergency like your kid is in the ER and you call out only to hear a sarcastic "Whatever" then click or the old [Long Deep Sigh] insincere, trite "hope the kid gets better". Followed quickly by the snide "Are you going to be here for your next shift? (As if you wouldn't tell them if you needed more time than one day)

What does it matter the reason people call out? Its the amount of times they call out and how long they will be out that is important. If you call in because you have food poisoning or you call in and say you have food poisoning and go to Disneyland you aren't there one way or another so the only thing that matters to the store is how many times you do that.
If the person has a habit of calling out only on holidays or Sundays, and you have no other problems with them, hello, don't schedule them on those days.

If the person has a habit of calling out only on holidays or Sundays, and you have no other problems with them, hello, don't schedule them on those days. fire them.
I’d call that an pattern of poor attendance 🤔 calling off on shifts that have the biggest staffing needs

Last edited:

I would also like to point out that some leaders are genuinely concerned with matters affecting their team. We have given our team cards, done welfare checks, offered ways to lighten their burden, through schedule adjustments, and other forms of expressing solidarity and concern for them. Of course, we don't pry if the person isn't interested in sharing, but sometimes being there for them starts with reaching out and asking.

What I hope is the leaders will be able to actually see who called out instead of asking one another who called out. If the person you called out to has left and didn't tell anyone that you called out it becomes a big dust up at my store and they will shred and shame the person who called out for not calling out. So I hope it makes a record everyone can see and be on the same page. Its also would be nice when you have an emergency like your kid is in the ER and you call out only to hear a sarcastic "Whatever" then click or the old [Long Deep Sigh] insincere, trite "hope the kid gets better". Followed quickly by the snide "Are you going to be here for your next shift? (As if you wouldn't tell them if you needed more time than one day)

What does it matter the reason people call out? Its the amount of times they call out and how long they will be out that is important. If you call in because you have food poisoning or you call in and say you have food poisoning and go to Disneyland you aren't there one way or another so the only thing that matters to the store is how many times you do that.
If the person has a habit of calling out only on holidays or Sundays, and you have no other problems with them, hello, don't schedule them on those days.
So if Bob calls out most Sunday’s he should be rewarded with all Sunday’s off. Someone like me who never calls out is punished with having to work every Sunday. How is that fair. If you say your available to work a certain day you should have to work it.

So if Bob calls out most Sunday’s he should be rewarded with all Sunday’s off. Someone like me who never calls out is punished with having to work every Sunday. How is that fair. If you say your available to work a certain day you should have to work it.
Great point.

A couple of months ago an excellent TM asked for a schedule change so he didn't have to work EVERY Sunday.

It was denied so he put his two weeks in.

In the meantime our store REHIRED an useless TM that quit that I told my TL that they should have fired.

His new schedule stated that he was unavailable on Saturdays and Sundays.

My fellow TM that was quitting saw this and immediately walked out the door.

Finally the idiot they hired back didn't even show up for his shifts.

And? Who said anything about poor attedance, pattern or anything else? We can take a day off if we are stress And many more reasons. Maybe talk to HR or SD and learn a little about attendance. Still……You won’t get any reason why and you are NOT allowed to ask unless you are HR!

And? Who said anything about poor attedance, pattern or anything else? We can take a day off if we are stress And many more reasons. Maybe talk to HR or SD and learn a little about attendance. Still……You won’t get any reason why and you are NOT allowed to ask unless you are HR!
You're right, a single call off is not a pattern of poor attendance. But a single call off every week is a pattern. If you call off weekly because you have homework, you need to reduce your desired hours or find a new job. Or get used to being pulled into the office a couple times per month until you eventually get fired.

Why wouldn't we be allowed to ask? The TM is allowed to decline an answer, especially if it is a medical issue, but the TL can definitely ask why.

I get that people don't want to tell their boss the specific reason they aren't coming in, that it can feel intrusive in some limited circumstances. But the way bigger picture is that they will not feel accountable, won't have to face their decision directly, and on the back end, we'll have fewer options as leaders, and will have to apply numbers like our team are faceless units.

TMs who call off frequently should not like this, despite it being emotionally easier to perform the call-off, because this means we have to toughen up on attendance.

I would also like to point out that some leaders are genuinely concerned with matters affecting their team. We have given our team cards, done welfare checks, offered ways to lighten their burden, through schedule adjustments, and other forms of expressing solidarity and concern for them. Of course, we don't pry if the person isn't interested in sharing, but sometimes being there for them starts with reaching out and asking.
Agreed yeah, and most of us root for our team to get their stuff figured out, to improve attendance/performance, work with them on the schedule (sometimes at great expense to the team and ourselves in terms of stress) and we hope they're happy like we would want a friend to be happy. I worry this system could work against that a little, but we'll have to wait and see.

Attendance is such a culture problem at most stores, and overall culture, conduct, and performance is so bad in general that this update is definitely lowkey designed to help leaders get rid of people, as the guidance leans towards turning over anyone who doesn’t show up and fall in line and replace them with someone who doesn’t feel entitled to make more than the new hires, and doesn’t feel entitled to their limited old school no weekends availability… because they are a new hire. Instant paper trail for attendance. TMs think “nice, we don’t have to talk to them about it”, and leaders think “nice, we don’t have to talk to them about it”. The burden will be on the team member to speak up to have their absence excused; if I don’t like you, I won’t be asking why you called off. Better have your documentation on why it should be excused ready on the spot when you’re being put on a final or it’ll definitely look like a too little too late attempt to get out of trouble 🤷🏻‍♂️

5r56h2.jpg

Back