Guest Services Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Panna Jotts

Everybody wants to rule the world.
Anyone else having guests try to price match $17 tide to Lowe’s for $4? Luckily we don’t price match Lowe’s so we can decline for that reason but still
Yeah, we basically tell those people to fuck off (in Target speak, of course). We can't verify it on our end, it shows them selling Tide for more than we do. Plus, they try to buy like 10 at a time to get multiple gift cards, it would basically be handing free money out.

You have the correct answers. I really wish they would let you rescan cartwheel.
This is such a problem. And the fact that you have to hit total before scanning wallet for gift cards to be applied. If you scan before total, then you can’t use them.

DBZ

This is such a problem. And the fact that you have to hit total before scanning wallet for gift cards to be applied. If you scan before total, then you can’t use them.
One of the other solutions is when you see the cartwheel app out, say, "Will you be saving 5% with your red card today?"

Service desk question: what percentage of people, I won't use guests, who come to the service desk are seemingly scammers? I asked a veteran tm at my store, and she said 1/3 or 33% Other views?

DBZ

Service desk question: what percentage of people, I won't use guests, who come to the service desk are seemingly scammers? I asked a veteran tm at my store, and she said 1/3 or 33% Other views?
I have only been at the SD for about 4 months so I don't know all the scams, but if I include all the ID returns and the scams I do know, it would be 10%. Maybe we could discuss the various scams. One I know is someone buys something at one store, returns it at another on the same day, asking for a price match. They paid cash and it is a high ticket item.

Dog

Honk honk
We have a huge amount of return fraud, coupon fraud, attempted money laundering, etc at my store and I still would not say that we are even close to having 1/3 of guests attempting some sort of scam. Most of them are decent people

We have a huge amount of return fraud, coupon fraud, attempted money laundering, etc at my store and I still would not say that we are even close to having 1/3 of guests attempting some sort of scam. Most of them are decent people
Maybe she meant attempted fraud.

I have only been at the SD for about 4 months so I don't know all the scams, but if I include all the ID returns and the scams I do know, it would be 10%. Maybe we could discuss the various scams. One I know is someone buys something at one store, returns it at another on the same day, asking for a price match. They paid cash and it is a high ticket item.
I don't get it. If it's cash and they have a receipt, then we aren't out money. They could have price matched initially.

PackAndCry

Furniture, Call Button One
I don't get it. If it's cash and they have a receipt, then we aren't out money. They could have price matched initially.
I've heard that, if they go and try to return it at the original store on the same day, it'll give them the full amount back since the fact that you gave them money for a price match already hasn't propagated through the whole system yet, or that it'll cause that "Call for GSTL Override" screen.

Last edited:

can't touch this

your fave poster
I've heard that, if they go and try to return it at the original store on the same day, it'll give them the full amount back since the fact that you gave them money for a price match already hasn't propagated through the whole system yet, or that it'll cause that "Call for GSTL Override" screen.
this brutal summer heat has not been kind to Target IT's backhaul link of carrier pigeons

can't touch this

your fave poster
I've dealt with prepaid Visa scams at previous jobs and they're definitely very "easy" to pull off in the sense that you can make off with quite the haul if you do it right, but then the law shows up to haul you away in a van. I could be making hella money right now if the blue would just leave me alone

IWishIKnew

This was supposed to be a seasonal job...
Move to a country without an extradition treaty. Easy-peasy.

Amanda Cantwell

Service Advocate
I've dealt with prepaid Visa scams at previous jobs and they're definitely very "easy" to pull off in the sense that you can make off with quite the haul if you do it right, but then the law shows up to haul you away in a van. I could be making hella money right now if the blue would just leave me alone
Anyone who does visa scams doesn’t do them for long

Amanda Cantwell

Service Advocate
I love having the remodel coupons because now I can hand those out in make it right situations instead of having to generate a $5 gift card.

(For those wondering it’s 5% off storewide, with exclusions)

Didn't know where else to post this, but I have to admit that I lost my temper at a guest today while I was at guest services. Guest had several online returns on different receipts and she implied that I didn't know what I was doing since I couldn't process them all at once without her matching the items to her receipts. I know she could have inserted her card, but I was so tired that I didn't want to argue with the guest anymore. I'm blanking out on what the guest exactly said, but I became frustrated and flipped one of her receipts back to her when I finished one of her returns. The guest became angry and demanded that I call a manager. I was just so angry and it was 4:00 PM, which was the time at which another guest services team member was scheduled so she should have been there, but as I was walking to TSC, I found out she was still back-up cashiering. I ended up clocking out after I said I would not complete her return due to her attitude without telling anyone as I felt I needed to get out of the situation ASAP.
I definitely feel bad for the other guest service team member because she got stuck dealing with the long line and the angry guest whom I left behind. I realize you need thicker skin at guest services due to the nature of the job, but I would like to reflect on this experience and hope to get some constructive criticism on how to handle difficult guests at guest services.

Marcellow

No and that’s final
I love having the remodel coupons because now I can hand those out in make it right situations instead of having to generate a $5 gift card.

(For those wondering it’s 5% off storewide, with exclusions)
Doesn’t seem that great tbh - basically getting the redcard discount without the card.