Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

i have only ever had that happen after scanning an in store receipt first or scanning a pack slip mid transaction
Happens everytime for me.

One thing I discovered last week is after scanning a receipt or doing card lookup and scanning at least one item, you can k3 and look up a different card. I don’t know why I didn’t know that for so long

Happens everytime for me.

One thing I discovered last week is after scanning a receipt or doing card lookup and scanning at least one item, you can k3 and look up a different card. I don’t know why I didn’t know that for so long
I had a return of 100 pillows and they were packaged 4 per box.... I tried just for fun and scanned one slip and it let me scan app 100 pillows to return. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t but in this case I was very thankful it worked

That's worth coaching? So coached if you leave the guest to clock out on time, but also coached if you stay to finish with the guest and go past your scheduled time. Rough stuff.

I wouldn't coach them for finishing with the guest if their relief was late/back-up cashiering. Hell, even call the SETL to take over so you can leave and bridge that gap. Literally anything but leaving a line with no advocate at all. That is just shitty guest service. I will argue with HR over those extra 5 minutes all day long.

Thank you guys for your advice. I know this sounds like an excuse, but I did try calling for backup/help out at that time. Unfortunately, we only have two GSAs right now (another one took time-off this week), and both of them had to cut hours since they were into overtime so they were not present at the time.
I thought the position of GSTL is being eliminated, but we still have one team member listed as such on the grid. Unfortunately, she is frequently of no assistance in that she allegedly hides in her office texting so when I called her for help, she didn't respond or tell me that any other team member was coming over to help out. I did see her outside as I was leaving, so she could have been on her break, but I've long since passed the point of giving her the benefit of the doubt.
I'm just baffled that no other experienced guest service team member informed me about scanning all the receipts and then the items. It seems like something crucial to go over when training someone who is new to guest services.
I came in for my shift today and no one said a word to me about this incident. Not HR, not the aforementioned GSTL, and not the ETLs who were in today. I still feel guilty about this whole thing, but the ETL who was working yesterday (he helps out at the checklanes and guest services a lot) is transferring to another store so he probably couldn't be bothered to talk to me.
I will take all of your advice to heart in terms of relaxing and taking a deep breath in a difficult situation like this.

Next time you have to process multiple returns just scan all of the receipt barcodes at once. Then you can return everything and staple the whole shitshow together.

As for guests who are shitshow, please refrain from stapling them. Maybe just take a breath and apologize. I’m sorry, I’m only human and today I’m really struggling, and it would be amazing if you could help me out just a little. Sometimes a simple reminder of that is all it takes. If the birch switch is still on just walk away and “go find a manager” for them (aka the SETL or whoever is watching the lanes, and let them know you’re leaving).
Sometimes with online returns, you can't scan all the receipts at once. Been there done that with 10 separate online orders.

Didn't know where else to post this, but I have to admit that I lost my temper at a guest today while I was at guest services. Guest had several online returns on different receipts and she implied that I didn't know what I was doing since I couldn't process them all at once without her matching the items to her receipts. I know she could have inserted her card, but I was so tired that I didn't want to argue with the guest anymore. I'm blanking out on what the guest exactly said, but I became frustrated and flipped one of her receipts back to her when I finished one of her returns. The guest became angry and demanded that I call a manager. I was just so angry and it was 4:00 PM, which was the time at which another guest services team member was scheduled so she should have been there, but as I was walking to TSC, I found out she was still back-up cashiering. I ended up clocking out after I said I would not complete her return due to her attitude without telling anyone as I felt I needed to get out of the situation ASAP.
I definitely feel bad for the other guest service team member because she got stuck dealing with the long line and the angry guest whom I left behind. I realize you need thicker skin at guest services due to the nature of the job, but I would like to reflect on this experience and hope to get some constructive criticism on how to handle difficult guests at guest services.
Well, you shouldn't be at GS desk, for sure.

For anyone else who's store is rolling out the new touch-screen registers, how do you go about giving a store coupon? This week, one of the back-up cashiers was using one of those registers and had a guest buying close to $400 of school supplies (pens, pencils, rulers folders etc.) and they insisted there was a sign that each of these supplies was 15% off. Obviously, instead of changing the price of each item, I tried to give store coupons for $5 each, but I didn't know how to do that. I tried to suspend the transaction and move to another register to take care of the guest, but the old register didn't accept the suspend slip.
The GSTL took care of the situation at guest services, but I don't even know what they did to be honest.

For anyone else who's store is rolling out the new touch-screen registers, how do you go about giving a store coupon? This week, one of the back-up cashiers was using one of those registers and had a guest buying close to $400 of school supplies (pens, pencils, rulers folders etc.) and they insisted there was a sign that each of these supplies was 15% off. Obviously, instead of changing the price of each item, I tried to give store coupons for $5 each, but I didn't know how to do that. I tried to suspend the transaction and move to another register to take care of the guest, but the old register didn't accept the suspend slip.
The GSTL took care of the situation at guest services, but I don't even know what they did to be honest.

you can't apply a store coupon in the sense of k4 -> k1 target coupon. you need to tap into each individual item to apply any discounts. school supplies weren't 15% off tho, the sign the guest was reading was spend $10 and get a 15% off storewide coupon last weekend only.

you can't suspend from a new pos register to a regular pos register, so if there are any issues in the transaction you will need to void and rering the purchase. best to finish out the transaction as-is, and then make any adjustments after the fact using fix-a-mistake.

you can't apply a store coupon in the sense of k4 -> k1 target coupon. you need to tap into each individual item to apply any discounts. school supplies weren't 15% off tho, the sign the guest was reading was spend $10 and get a 15% off storewide coupon last weekend only.

you can't suspend from a new pos register to a regular pos register, so if there are any issues in the transaction you will need to void and rering the purchase. best to finish out the transaction as-is, and then make any adjustments after the fact using fix-a-mistake.
I figured the guest misread the sign but there was such a long line that I had to suspend the transaction for that guest in order to keep the line moving.
I hope that there are adjustments made to the new registers so that you can apply a store coupon like with the k4-->k1 option from the older registers.

We did have a cartwheel coupon a couple weeks ago that was 15% off school supplies so hopefully those signs weren’t up still lol

We did have a cartwheel coupon a couple weeks ago that was 15% off school supplies so hopefully those signs weren’t up still lol
I'm afraid that may have been the case and the team members in seasonal/school section forgot to take those signs down. Or, like Tessa said, it may have been a scam and the guest knew they needed Cartwheel, but didn't have the app downloaded. Either way it was such a problem because of the long lines and nobody knew what to do because of inexperience using the new registers.

has anyone else had a really bad time with registers lately? they always suck, but have been horrible lately. CSC is giving us contradicting info... told us it was a global issue, then told us just us, then global, etc.

printer error where the receipt doesn’t print and drawer locks and need to reboot is happening like crazy (it always did, but more frequently lately), registers crashing when card inserted into the chip reader (took three registers down on saturday), then an ID return took out two guest service registers (tried to key in the barcode and scanning). the other morning every single register was rebooting... so we only had SCO to start the morning. two registers have still not come back up... CSC just keeps suggesting powering off and back on and “they aren’t doing any fixes/ updates for old POS”

Yes that’s happening at our store too. Someone will do a cash payment and it’ll just go through with no receipt and no matter what I do I can’t get the drawer open so I have to put the cash in through the slot and get the change (thank god it’s only been cents) out of another register and just tell the guest sorry I hope you don’t return it lol.

The self checkouts are always crashing. Out of nowhere they’ll start to make a sound like you’re putting cash in them and then they’ll crash, and they’ll have to be slow rebooted in order to work again. Once that one is back up, the one next to it will do it. And then after that one reboots, the one next to that one will do it. All day every day I’m always rebooting at least one SCO register as they will all crash at one point. One time during a busy day literally all but 2 out of 6 did it at the same time and I had to slow reboot all of them so I only had the two open and the line was sooooooo long 😭

I wish guests would stop trying to demand manager for old signage or an incorrect price without just asking me nicely to change it. If it's reasonable I will fix it for you, just tell me. I don't need ten pictures or a long story about how it's the wrong price. I say "hi, how are you" and they are immediately down my throat about prices. I don't care to walk to the back of the store for a 2 dollar difference. I just want to get my guests out quickly and satisfied. We can fix the signs later.

I've seen the register refuse to print a receipt about 4 times over the last 2 weeks. One of our SCOs died the other day. I was going to put a tombstone on it, but we ran out 😭. The drawer not opening and random crashes haven't been worse than normal though. Our biggest issue right now is that no one will show up for work and our SD sucks at scheduling.

Back