Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Your ETL and SD are assholes. Also why do electronics and starbucks need you? Change I understand for Starbucks. Beyond that they should be calling their TL or anyone else but you.
Starbucks and Electronics both call out for a GSTL/ GSA (even though that’s so outdated) for help, so like any guest giving them a hard time. I’ve asked the TMs multiple times to please call an ETL or their TL if there. Unfortunately, they are unreliable with answering, so they default to me. Rumor has it my name gets called over walkie even when I am not in the building.
I guarantee they are allocating your hours somewhere else your TL and ETL should be fighting this
Our ETL-SE stacks the days she is there and the times she is there. On her closing weekend, I’ll open with 1 cashier, maybe 2 if I’m lucky and little GS coverage vs. her night with 4 closers on lanes and 3 at GS (2 closers and one until an hour before close). Her day off has less people, always.

I also believe they are trying to push my one TL out, who is the best and the most hardworking, but has been with the company for awhile and really sticks up for her team. Cutting hours like this is one way to inevitably have problems and blame her because she is so good otherwise it would be hard to nitpick. This is the only reason I work so hard. My TL deserves so much better.

Our ETL-SE stacks the days she is there and the times she is there. On her closing weekend, I’ll open with 1 cashier, maybe 2 if I’m lucky and little GS coverage vs. her night with 4 closers on lanes and 3 at GS (2 closers and one until an hour before close). Her day off has less people, always.

This irks me to no end and happens quite frequently at my store.

Has anyone noticed that the “registee offline” message when trying to return from multiple receipts has gotten better/not as often. It was bad a few days ago but yesterday it only happened like once or twice.

Starbucks and Electronics both call out for a GSTL/ GSA (even though that’s so outdated) for help, so like any guest giving them a hard time. I’ve asked the TMs multiple times to please call an ETL or their TL if there. Unfortunately, they are unreliable with answering, so they default to me. Rumor has it my name gets called over walkie even when I am not in the building.

I also believe they are trying to push my one TL out, who is the best and the most hardworking, but has been with the company for awhile and really sticks up for her team. Cutting hours like this is one way to inevitably have problems and blame her because she is so good otherwise it would be hard to nitpick. This is the only reason I work so hard. My TL deserves so much better.

everything you are describing here is psychotic. sorry you have to deal with a maniac like that

Busy. This is the worst hour wise I have seen it in my 5ish years. The past couple of weeks haven’t even been this bad. Our sales have been over $200,000 or right about that mark almost every day. Last I checked we were either AA volume or AA+.
I work at a smaller store than yours and we have better coverage. Where are your hours going?

Your ETL does this because your SD and ETL HR allows it.

If we have a trouble guest in electronics, its always "*security name* can you come to tech please? I'm Having issues with my register/I have a guest with a question for you" .

Its store code for "hey , i really need you here" since our etls are often busy.

According to workbench. Print labels is going away on pos. Only ways to defect will be during a transaction and from mydevice.

if anyone from Corp is reading this. There is NO reason for this change and it will only serve to make GSTMs lives harder. Please don’t do this.

uh was that the update from monday, cuz that was only about target+ returns

I got bored and actually hooked up our zebra printer to the register in tech... its actually kinda convent if I do a whole cart.

I have been stressing forever to defect out in return rather than stick it to the side and defect later. I’ve left notes and told each individual team member that it’s the better option. If they now have to use the zebra, it will never get done. They all pretend I haven’t taught them how to defect with the Zebra multiple times and wrote down a how to guide as well.

Is this how I finally win my “please defect out during return because it’s faster” battle or will i walk into a three tier of defectives to be done everyday? Stay tuned to find out!

Why can't one person do it during a lull? That's what we do. We have a bin for defects and when we have a break between guests/DU/OPUs we take care of it. A team effort. Or assign one person to take 20 minutes to do it if you can't trust the team to get it done?

Plus defecting with a Zebra is quicker. Just stand there, defect items, slap stickers on them and throw into salvage or CRC.

Why can't one person do it during a lull? That's what we do. We have a bin for defects and when we have a break between guests/DU/OPUs we take care of it. A team effort. Or assign one person to take 20 minutes to do it if you can't trust the team to get it done?

Plus defecting with a Zebra is quicker. Just stand there, defect items, slap stickers on them and throw into salvage or CRC.

The danger there is that it has to get done. When it's left for later there are times when later never comes because everyone gets too busy. And, the longer it goes before getting done, the longer it will take to actually do.

If it works at your store, keep doing what you're doing. I don't think it would work out well at my store at all.

I need to vent about something that happened at self-checkout. On Tuesday night, around closing time, there were these two guests who were acting suspiciously and apparently, they stole about $300 of merchandise. One of the guests finished paying first and actually left the store before he came back in since the other guest was calling him to come back in the store. The other guest kept scanning items and then asking me to cancel them, which drew my attention. At the end, I figured that he didn't pay for everything and I offered service to them and said "I think the register didn't pick up all of your items, can I help you with them?", to which he declined and left the store (at the time there was no AP presence at the door).

The next day, my GSTL is blaming me for it since I wrote it down, and says we can't let $300 walk out the door and he even says to me if you can't step in to stop this kind of behavior that you will have to be on register only. I explained my side when I had a sit-down meeting with the ETL-AP and the GSTL himself. After explaining myself, the ETL-AP praises me for blaming the register as a good way of offering service to that guest but says that I messed up by not offering service to the first guest. We discussed strategies for preventing this like offering to ring any suspicious guests up at a register or calling over GSTL/closing lead(LOD) to help if there were more than one of those guests. She suggested to say something like "The self-checkout registers have had problems all night, let me help you make sure all of your items are accounted for" or something along those lines.

The TSS spoke to me about it as well and he mainly reassured me that Target gets their money back for this but also said that I could receipt check the guests if they were acting suspiciously. That seems off since I've always thought only AP could receipt check. I would have to double-check that again. I think the GSTL also said that as well, to make sure that they pay by going up to them and scanning all of their items for them once you start to become suspicious of them.

My frustration comes from the fact that even if I offer to scan their items for them or ring them up at a register or even receipt check them, if the guest ignores me or declines, how else can I make sure that they don't ticket-switch and they scan all of their items properly? The ETL-AP even said she can only give suggestions or guidelines based on her personal experience, that it's impossible to account for every scenario of dishonest guests.

I feel like I've had this same conversation with my ETL-AP at least three times and I genuinely think that stepping in and scanning all of the guest's items or receipt checking would cause problems and she has unrealistic expectations that I stop all loss/shrink at self-checkout.

Last edited:
You did the right thing. Did you take back the the unscanned items?
No, I think the "guests" took most of the unscanned merchandise. I think I had to help someone else at another register and the "guests" took that opportunity to put the merchandise they didn't scan in the bags. I offered the service to the second "guest" after he had a receipt and paid for a small fraction of what was in his bags.

No, I think the "guests" took most of the unscanned merchandise. I think I had to help someone else at another register and the "guests" took that opportunity to put the merchandise they didn't scan in the bags. I offered the service to the second "guest" after he had a receipt and paid for a small fraction of what was in his bags.
I am sorry. You did try & report to ap.

Next time tell your AP-ETL and GSTL that you were too busy cleaning the SCOs, and didn't see anything. Problem solved. /s

Serious note: If corporate was serious about preventing theft, they should schedule AP during store hours. Guest service advocates can do only so much within corporate guidelines about accusing/confronting guests or even checking receipts. It's not worth getting injured or killed in a confrontation for $15/ hour.

Next time tell your AP-ETL and GSTL that you were too busy cleaning the SCOs, and didn't see anything. Problem solved. /s

Serious note: If corporate was serious about preventing theft, they should schedule AP during store hours. Guest service advocates can do only so much within corporate guidelines about accusing/confronting guests or even checking receipts. It's not worth getting injured or killed in a confrontation for $15/ hour.
Completely agree with you, it's just that if I say that to the GSTL or AP, they'll probably think that I'm making excuses for guests lifting.

Back