Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

@REDcardJJ when we had our yes desk, we had a handful of guests who would come in a couple times a week and always return a crap ton of (obviously stolen) items on their IDs. Since they did this so often, their IDs were “maxed out” (prompting for exchange instead of issuing a merchandise card). We allowed them to exchange. So every single time they would come in, they would load up their carts with a bunch of clothes, makeup, etc, and come prepared with their ID out to do an exchange. Does your store run the same way or do you deny guests once they hit their ID limit?

We have changed our policy since then, once you hit your ID limit you can’t return anything. Not even exchange. So we will have people who habitually do this who are unaware of our new policy and will stroll up to guest serve with their cart full of crap, hand me their ID and their stolen items without saying anything (because they know the process) and when I inform them their ID is maxed out they say “yeah I’m exchanging.” “Well we actually changed our policy we no longer accept any returns or exchanges when you’ve done too many no receipt returns.” “Well then I’m not taking this stuff.” Do you feel our store is being too strict on this or would you “make it right”?

@REDcardJJ when we had our yes desk, we had a handful of guests who would come in a couple times a week and always return a crap ton of (obviously stolen) items on their IDs. Since they did this so often, their IDs were “maxed out” (prompting for exchange instead of issuing a merchandise card). We allowed them to exchange. So every single time they would come in, they would load up their carts with a bunch of clothes, makeup, etc, and come prepared with their ID out to do an exchange. Does your store run the same way or do you deny guests once they hit their ID limit?

We have changed our policy since then, once you hit your ID limit you can’t return anything. Not even exchange. So we will have people who habitually do this who are unaware of our new policy and will stroll up to guest serve with their cart full of crap, hand me their ID and their stolen items without saying anything (because they know the process) and when I inform them their ID is maxed out they say “yeah I’m exchanging.” “Well we actually changed our policy we no longer accept any returns or exchanges when you’ve done too many no receipt returns.” “Well then I’m not taking this stuff.” Do you feel our store is being too strict on this or would you “make it right”?
We have a neighbor store who follows the same policy as your store. Since my store is more lenient they come to us to do the return.

@REDcardJJ

I sincerely wish my store would do this - we have a couple of serial offenders who will bring in a ton of stolen merchandise on a weekly basis and always use their maxed out licenses to exchange it and buy baby formula. AP is aware of it but I suppose there’s not really much we can do. And, since we’re a “yes desk,” half of the time the GSTL or LOD comes over and overrides it to a merchandise return card (or even a regular gift card!) if the person complains enough, no matter how many times I tell them the policy.

I understand how many of you feel about making it right for the guest and assuming that everyone has good intentions - I try to do that too. It’s just harder not to be suspicious of people when your store has a ton of repeat offenders, opportunists, and has been the target of organized crime many times in the past. After all, it is AP’s job and my job is just to provide a “good guest experience” even if that means giving out a ton of cash to people who picked up receipts off the ground in our parking lot

Yes desk does not mean giving away the cash register. It means making it right within reason. A cart full of clothes is unreasonable. I’m unsure HOW you’re getting to that point though, because POS is supposed to hard lock returns at a certain point. “Refund declined. Return merchandise to guest” or something similar is what the screen says

“Refund declined. Return merchandise to guest” or something similar is what the screen says

This happens VERY rarely while I’m working. Other times, I get “you cannot return this without a receipt” but if the GSTL is at guest service they’ll just override it or the guest will complain until someone comes over and overrides it for them

And yes, a cart full of clothes is unreasonable. Do you and I both know that? Yes! Do my GSTL, AP, or ETL-GE care that this is unreasonable? No!

The only time my register has ever said that has been when I scanned an expired receipt.

This happens VERY rarely while I’m working. Other times, I get “you cannot return this without a receipt” but if the GSTL is at guest service they’ll just override it or the guest will complain until someone comes over and overrides it for them

I'd tell them, "unfortunately I cannot return this item without a receipt because the system is not letting me". If they're upset with that I'd escalate it to the GSTL, and whatever they decide to do is their call.

It wasn't? Weird. While not common we have gotten a couple old items (Cherokee school uniform pants, girls size Mossimo Red, Merona tanks) and they were in the system.
I had another guest that same day try to return a baby outfit that she had received as a gift with no gift receipt. Also not in the system. I looked at the tag inside to confirm the DPCI matched the paper tag and the date on it was Q1/13. We both laughed because her friend had obviously regifted something she had bought or received and never used.

soooo this afternoon I was rolling around with a friend and we stopped by Target (not the one I work at) and they had hella lines and 0.002 cashiers working (all stores ARE the same, amirite folks)...I was standing in line and what do you know, it's Susan in front of me with a stack of coupons. The cashier chick was trying to scan them and I guess they were fake/invalid or something because she tells her "I'm very sorry ma'am I'm unable to accept these" and Susan gets all MAF and snarls back "I BEG YOUR PARDON?! THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE, WHERE'S YOUR SUPERVISOR?" So the "supervisor" comes over (I think she was their STL because she was wearing a red blazer and looked STL-like) and before the cashier can even explain what's going on, Susan says "I REALLY DON'T APPRECIATE BEING TREATED LIKE A CRIMINAL AND WASTING MY TIME, I HAVE A MEETING TO GO TO!!!" STL tries to calm her down and starts to look over the coupons (at this point the cashier is trying to hold back tears) but Susan won't STFU and keeps on hurling abuse at both of them. STL got pissed and says "Ma'am, we're unable to accept these cou...." but Susan cuts her off with a loud "UGH FUCK THIS" and shoves her cart so that it crashes into an endcap and storms out, leaving the coupons and all her shit. STL asks the cashier quietly if she needs to step off stage and she says "No I'm fine" with a sniffle. I was next and said "Wow, bitches be crazy, are you okay?" and the cashier rolls her eyes and was like "It's been like this all day, I'll be better when I get home," and the STL nudges her and says "*Ahem* Will you be saving 5% today with your RedCard??" to which I replied "Well, 5% is kinda lame, how about 15?" as I handed her my RedCard and TM discount, and it instantly clicked and both of them laughed. Lol. Susan BTFO.

soooo this afternoon I was rolling around with a friend and we stopped by Target (not the one I work at) and they had hella lines and 0.002 cashiers working (all stores ARE the same, amirite folks)...I was standing in line and what do you know, it's Susan in front of me with a stack of coupons. The cashier chick was trying to scan them and I guess they were fake/invalid or something because she tells her "I'm very sorry ma'am I'm unable to accept these" and Susan gets all MAF and snarls back "I BEG YOUR PARDON?! THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE, WHERE'S YOUR SUPERVISOR?" So the "supervisor" comes over (I think she was their STL because she was wearing a red blazer and looked STL-like) and before the cashier can even e
xplain what's going on, Susan says "I REALLY DON'T APPRECIATE BEING TREATED LIKE A CRIMINAL AND WASTING MY TIME, I HAVE A MEETING TO GO TO!!!" STL tries to calm her down and starts to look over the coupons (at this point the cashier is trying to hold back tears) but Susan won't STFU and keeps on hurling abuse at both of them. STL got pissed and says "Ma'am, we're unable to accept these cou...." but Susan cuts her off with a loud "UGH FUCK THIS" and shoves her cart so that it crashes into an endcap and storms out, leaving the coupons and all her shit. STL asks the cashier quietly if she needs to step off stage and she says "No I'm fine" with a sniffle. I was next and said "Wow, bitches be crazy, are you okay?" and the cashier rolls her eyes and was like "It's been like this all day, I'll be better when I get home," and the STL nudges her and says "*Ahem* Will you be saving 5% today with your RedCard??" to which I replied "Well, 5% is kinda lame, how about 15?" as I handed her my RedCard and TM discount, and it instantly clicked and both of them laughed. Lol. Susan BTFO.

You missed the part where AP was called...😉

Target Fun Run Sale: With Savings Like These, Next Week’s Target Run Will Be EXTRA Fun - https://corporate.target.com/article/2018/09/fun-run

Fun things are happening soon!

Target Fun Run Sale
September 16-22

Our new Target Fun Run sale is all about serving up amazing deals while showcasing some of the services that make shopping—and saving—super easy at Target. It’s part thank you to our loyal guests and part invitation to those who haven’t yet tried Cartwheel, Target REDcard or Shipt same-day delivery (more on those below). And it all adds up to some pretty great savings for guests. Here’s a peek at what’s coming next week …

Deals that’ll have you doing Cartwheels
Cartwheel helps you find and redeem deals at your local Target store (guests are big fans—they’ve already saved more than $1 billion and counting). Now, for the first time, we’re offering some of our most popular Cartwheel promotions for one week only, including favorites like 20 percent off select home, apparel, food, health and beauty items and more. You’ll find hundreds of deals via Cartwheel in the Target app starting Sept. 16 (offers valid in-store only).

Sizzling savings on same-day delivery
Haven’t tried Shipt, Target’s service that brings the store to your door, including everything from everyday essentials to grocery items, the very same day? Now’s the perfect time! Next week only, for the first time all new users in markets that offer Shipt delivery services can save half off an annual membership ($50 in savings). Visit Target.com/Shipt and type in your zip code to find out if the service is available in your area. And we’ve got a little something for current Shipt members, too—when you spend $100 or more on a same-day delivery order Sept. 16-22, you’ll receive a $15 credit on your Shipt account for use on a future order.

Reach for that REDcard
When you use a Target REDcard, you’ll save 5 percent in-store and online, every time. But you might not know that this little card has lots of other perks too, from free 2-day shipping on hundreds of thousands of items on Target.com to exclusive extras and more.
Next week’s fun: Current REDcard holders will find special coupons via Wallet in the Target app.* Let’s just say there’s an extra special one you won’t want to miss. (Need help linking your REDcard to the Target app? Here’s how.) No REDcard? Those who apply and are approved for a new REDcard next week will receive a coupon for $30 off a future qualifying purchase of $100 or more.**

here's hoping we get signing that these are CARTWHEEL and TARGET WALLET exclusive deals, even though none of our guests can read anyway lmao

I have my wall of bins back!!!! Well, sort of. They put in a couple more Metro shelf units with Sterilite tubs in place of the guest carts we've been using for the last year or so.

This means I have room to move again!!!

Reshop now goes out to the floor in hand or on 3-tiers. No more guest carts at all. And I am soooo not complaining!

I have my wall of bins back!!!! Well, sort of. They put in a couple more Metro shelf units with Sterilite tubs in place of the guest carts we've been using for the last year or so.

This means I have room to move again!!!

Reshop now goes out to the floor in hand or on 3-tiers. No more guest carts at all. And I am soooo not complaining!
We just got carts back after having bins for almost 2 years. I hated the bins.

At one point we tried the three tiers, but flow team kept taking them, so we went back to carts, and the leadership decided to stick with carts because when they tried any other vehicles, those magically disappeared during the day.

Anyone else already having issues with mobile checkout? We can’t get the printers to connect and then even if they are connected the receipts won’t print. Tips on troubleshooting this?

People in states that require gift cards to be cashed out if the balance is under $10: do you cash out merchandise return cards? We have many guests who will do multiple individual gift receipt returns for small items who make you put each return on a separate merch card and then turn around and cash out all like 15 of their cards. We try to tell them no but they freak out about it being the law and that we have to and we usually give in. Is there a way we can deny it or do we really have to?

I’ve tried telling them I can put it on one card instead of 10+ separate ones “so it’s easier to carry in your wallet” and they lose their minds and get very hostile and aggressive towards me.

A merch card is not a gift card. If the law says that a retailer has to honor a request to cash out a gift card, that's your loophole. But run it past STL/ETLs//GSTL/AP to make sure they'll all back you on this before you start telling guests that, because you know the guest is going to scream for a manager when you start to resist.

And of course they're getting hostile. They're after the cash.

Anyone else already having issues with mobile checkout? We can’t get the printers to connect and then even if they are connected the receipts won’t print. Tips on troubleshooting this?
Make sure they were set up for your store on the signing and label computer. They also need to be set for for a specific media so it knows it’s receipt tape

People in states that require gift cards to be cashed out if the balance is under $10: do you cash out merchandise return cards? We have many guests who will do multiple individual gift receipt returns for small items who make you put each return on a separate merch card and then turn around and cash out all like 15 of their cards. We try to tell them no but they freak out about it being the law and that we have to and we usually give in. Is there a way we can deny it or do we really have to?

I’ve tried telling them I can put it on one card instead of 10+ separate ones “so it’s easier to carry in your wallet” and they lose their minds and get very hostile and aggressive towards me.

Scan all the gift receipts at once and then put all of them onto one merch card. 🤣🤣

also pro tip (at least it works for me): if the guest has a crappy receipt like clearly picked from a parking lot (or my fav: multiples from the same day all with a different debit card and completely different times of day) i try to scan it, but “can’t.” i claim it’s too faded and offer to do a debit card lookup. i apologize a bunch and a lot of times they leave and just dump the merch on their way out or as i stall we get ap to review everything and get them trying to leave with merch.

only in very obvious cases i stall though. i would quit if i ever did that to an actual guest tbh.

I'll do you one better. After "having difficulties" scanning the receipt, I offer to look it up on our computers in the back. Make a photocopy for AP. Then go back and apologize for not being able to find it on the computer. Depending on the situation I'll offer to use their ID (so that I can get their info) or I'll send them back to the store listed on the receipt. If I think I can get away with it, I'll try to stall the guest long enough for AP to check cameras. Hopefully they took the items off of our shelves so we can get an app for it. If they walked in with it, I'll try to talk them into going back to the original store for a refund.

Today my new ETL-HR was getting register “trained” by another ETL and I was very loudly like “wow, this is the first time I’ve ever seen any ETL actually use a register!” and she looked so confused

It's for this reason I no longer help out TMs in certain departments when they need it. Fitting Room TM needs help getting caught up on reshops? Tough shit. Receiver needs help on processing defectives? Tough shit. Cafe needs someone to cover register while they prep? Tough shit. In each instance I've taken the TM aside and explained how incredibly rude and unprofessional it is to have that kind of attitude. Still they continued. So now they don't get my help and if there's no other TM to help them then they sink or swim on their own. It may seem like an asshole move but word spread once TMs realized that I'm one of the hardest working ETLs in the store. I can help you get your area cleaned and organized in no time at all. I'll also go to bat for you and make sure your ETL doesn't jump down your throat for not finishing reshops on a busy Saturday night. We're all one team and the store runs better when we act like it instead of being snide little asshats when someone's offering their help.

Back