Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

It's for this reason I no longer help out TMs in certain departments when they need it. Fitting Room TM needs help getting caught up on reshops? Tough shit. Receiver needs help on processing defectives? Tough shit. Cafe needs someone to cover register while they prep? Tough shit. In each instance I've taken the TM aside and explained how incredibly rude and unprofessional it is to have that kind of attitude. Still they continued. So now they don't get my help and if there's no other TM to help them then they sink or swim on their own. It may seem like an asshole move but word spread once TMs realized that I'm one of the hardest working ETLs in the store. I can help you get your area cleaned and organized in no time at all. I'll also go to bat for you and make sure your ETL doesn't jump down your throat for not finishing reshops on a busy Saturday night. We're all one team and the store runs better when we act like it instead of being snide little asshats when someone's offering their help.
Honestly I think you may be reading into my post a little bit too much. The ETLs at my store back up so /often/ that my ETL-GE literally doesn’t have register access, which we all joke about together because we have good responses to backup and it’s not needed for an ETL to ever be on a register. My ETLs and I have a good relationship, and we’re all constantly giving each other shit, I’m sorry that it’s not like that at your store and that you feel the need to let TMs “sink or swim” but I can understand why you may feel that way if they have treated you unkindly in the past. I will try to be more careful about what I say in the future but it was done in good humor.

Scan all the gift receipts at once and then put all of them onto one merch card. 🤣🤣
The guests won’t let me. They hand me one item and one gift receipt at a time and won’t give me any more receipts/items until I hand them the merch card.

Gift receipts now generate a GC though
Not if you pay with a merch card which is what these people do, hence them giving you a gift receipt instead of the actual receipt so you can’t see how they paid (like I can’t tell or something lol). What I’m assuming they do is do a big no receipt return on their ID, get the merch card, go buy all these individual $5-$8 items, return them all using the gift receipts so they can get their once high value merch card broken up into many merch cards that are low value, then turn around and cash them out. It’s just a (long) way to get cash for your no receipt return.

Not if you pay with a merch card which is what these people do, hence them giving you a gift receipt instead of the actual receipt so you can’t see how they paid (like I can’t tell or something lol). What I’m assuming they do is do a big no receipt return on their ID, get the merch card, go buy all these individual $5-$8 items, return them all using the gift receipts so they can get their once high value merch card broken up into many merch cards that are low value, then turn around and cash them out. It’s just a (long) way to get cash for your no receipt return.
well they can only do $75ish in one year. if it's a known scammer partner with GSTL and AP as we can deny any no receipt return (so they can't get the big merch card in the first place)

The guests won’t let me. They hand me one item and one gift receipt at a time and won’t give me any more receipts/items until I hand them the merch card.

if it's close enough to $10, you could just mark up the price of the item so that their merchandise card won't be eligible to be cashed out.

What is your guys’ store policy on damage discounts? What do you consider a “damaged” product in order to take a percentage off, and how much do you take off? I understand this is situational but the answers to this at my store are so varied depending on who’s working that I’d love to hear what you guys do.

We have a GSA that will give damage discounts to guests if the product’s box is open even if the item itself is fine, which I don’t do unless the item itself actually has damage to it.

What is your guys’ store policy on damage discounts? What do you consider a “damaged” product in order to take a percentage off, and how much do you take off? I understand this is situational but the answers to this at my store are so varied depending on who’s working that I’d love to hear what you guys do.

We have a GSA that will give damage discounts to guests if the product’s box is open even if the item itself is fine, which I don’t do unless the item itself actually has damage to it.
We do 10% for damage. My GSTL told me no negotiation on that unless the damage is very clear to me and it’s the last item in stock, but even then he told me to only offer 15% and no higher than 20%. Occassionally other TLs or ETLs will send up a guest with a higher approved percentage.

We’re pretty easy going with giving the 10% though if the guest insists damage. Although if I can tell the guest just wants the discount, I will definitely offer to grab another one for her (if in stock). We do have serial abusers that we will do anything to deny it because they always manage to “find” a shirt with a little stain or pull or an open/ dented package, but other than that we try to make the guest happy and 10% seems to make most happy and felt like they’ve been heard.

I do 20% or $20 whichever comes first, that's around the range we are reasonably able to adjust to the guest's price request and I don't want the fight over it

10% and if the guest is rude about it and the damage seems kinda severe I just take the item from them and tell them I can't sell it and it needs to be defected out.

I don't give 10% off if the box is damaged and the item still looks brand new.

I usually do 10-15 but if it’s more than like a scratch or is actually damaged and I plan on defecting it out I will bring up sales preformance and see what we make on that item and will do 5-10% less so the guest gets a deal and we still make something.

Depends on who you ask, at least at my store. If the packaging is damaged but the product inside is fine, no discount. If the product is slightly damaged (a scratch or something) most of the time they'll give them 10% or 15% at the lanes. Some of our hardliners and I, if a guest shows us furniture that has a damaged box or is an obvious online return, will just rewrap it and give them whatever price myWork suggests since we just want it out of the building, especially the online returns that don't discount since they aren't technically Not Sold Here but have no location and don't have a picture or description on the outside of the box, we might be giving them 30% or 50% off but otherwise those generally will never sell and Presentation will defect them out when it's time to reset the aisle.

Box opened but merchandise in tack. Box bent up or ripped but not enough for the merchandise to be stolen or the guest to wonder what is wrong with it.

Back