Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

We don’t Re-spider wrap at GS. That’s up to hardlines/electronics to make sure their junk is secure.
Great. Too bad softlines doesn't have access to a magnet or spiderwrap. But hey, you have zero fault if a kangaroo baby carrier is worn right on out the store because you're too good to wrap it while processing the return. Tbh not wrapping it when the return happens sounds like laziness. You have all the supplies right there next to you.

Tbh not wrapping it when the return happens sounds like laziness. You have all the supplies right there next to you.

Actually we don't. ASANTs.

And how am I supposed to know what is spider-wrapped and what is not?

My store puts yellow theft tags on some razor blades, but not all. Some electric toothbrushes have spider wraps, but not all. And the baby stuff? Other than those camera systems, why would I even think to spider wrap a baby carrier? That's why softlines should own the process. And at my store, they do with nary a complaint. Sorry your store makes you work a little bit harder.

Last edited:
We don't always have spiders available at GS, and frankly, in 2 years at Spot, nobody has ever taught me how to apply them.
It’s not too difficult, I would definitely ask AP or an electronics team member to quickly show you how to do it if you ever have a quiet moment at GS and one of them shows up :) never a bad thing to learn

Great. Too bad softlines doesn't have access to a magnet or spiderwrap. But hey, you have zero fault if a kangaroo baby carrier is worn right on out the store because you're too good to wrap it while processing the return. Tbh not wrapping it when the return happens sounds like laziness. You have all the supplies right there next to you.

Tbh your attitude sounds appalling.

I have never been to a store where spider wrapping is the norm at the service desk. At my store we're required to fold and hang softlines and then sort everything into carts before they're picked up. That takes a lot of time right there and tends to get backed up when there are rushes. Unless it gets done right away, it'll end up piling up on the floor. There's not enough time between guests to spiderwrap something. You ever see the look on their faces after they've stood in line and are ready to do a return but they're asked to wait a few minutes while you're hanging up/folding/sorting/rewrapping/defecting out the items of the previous guest? Not pretty.

Where do you keep magnets and spiderwraps that softlines can't go grab them? At my store spiderwraps are kept in an open area in the backroom and anyone can check out keys with the magnets if they need to do some merch pro. Salesfloor TMs see the same products every day and have a much easier time of telling when an item needs to be spider wrapped. GS only sees this stuff when it's returned. So what you're asking is that Spot add on more training on top of an already abysmal training program because you don't want to do your own merch pro.

Actually we don't. ASANTs.

And how am I supposed to know what is spider-wrapped and what is not?

My store puts yellow theft tags on some razor blades, but not all. Some electric toothbrushes have spider wraps, but not all. And the baby stuff? Other than those camera systems, why would I even think to spider wrap a baby carrier? That's why softlines should own the process. And at my store, they do with nary a complaint. Sorry your store makes you work a little bit harder.
Gee, I'd think that when you process a return and a kangaroo baby carrier pops up at almost $200 you'd get the idea that maybe it should be secured in a way that keeps it from being worn out of the store. And you really don't have the magnets that open spiderwrap at the registers at the GS desk?

And you've no doubt seen all the posts about how softlines is losing more and more prep area. Where are they supposed to spiderwrap items? If they don't have a zebra, how are they to know for certain if it's the $200 carrier or the $30 carrier? GS knows the price when the return is being done, we're not right there seeing the price as well. Do you really think it's efficient for anyone for softlines to park themselves at GS to figure out prices and to spiderwrap stuff when GS could have done it in half the time? If you don't want them camping at the GS desk, would you really affix a magnet at the fitting room desk (assuming it's still there), easily accessible to the not so honest guests when the FRO is at the other end of softlines doing their assigned tasks?

Gee, I'd think that when you process a return and a kangaroo baby carrier pops up at almost $200 you'd get the idea that maybe it should be secured in a way that keeps it from being worn out of the store. And you really don't have the magnets that open spiderwrap at the registers at the GS desk?

And you've no doubt seen all the posts about how softlines is losing more and more prep area. Where are they supposed to spiderwrap items? If they don't have a zebra, how are they to know for certain if it's the $200 carrier or the $30 carrier? GS knows the price when the return is being done, we're not right there seeing the price as well. Do you really think it's efficient for anyone for softlines to park themselves at GS to figure out prices and to spiderwrap stuff when GS could have done it in half the time? If you don't want them camping at the GS desk, would you really affix a magnet at the fitting room desk (assuming it's still there), easily accessible to the not so honest guests when the FRO is at the other end of softlines doing their assigned tasks?

Oh come on. I'm sure you can think of better solutions than that. No you don't need to park yourself at GS. You also don't need a prep area. How do you think the rest of the store gets their merch pro done? Do you think there's a prep table in cosmetics? In sporting goods? In HBA? In Adult Bevs? Absolutely not. They either merch pro as they push or they take time to step off the floor for a few minutes to merch pro in the back. It's part of Salesfloor responsibility and partnership with AP to merch pro effectively. If you don't feel you can do that, then you need to partner with your TL to find a solution. Not give up and try to pawn off your work on another workcenter.

Oh come on. I'm sure you can think of better solutions than that. No you don't need to park yourself at GS. You also don't need a prep area. How do you think the rest of the store gets their merch pro done? Do you think there's a prep table in cosmetics? In sporting goods? In HBA? In Adult Bevs? Absolutely not. They either merch pro as they push or they take time to step off the floor for a few minutes to merch pro in the back. It's part of Salesfloor responsibility and partnership with AP to merch pro effectively. If you don't feel you can do that, then you need to partner with your TL to find a solution. Not give up and try to pawn off your work on another workcenter.
I find it a little hard to believe that hardlines or electronics or beauty deal almost entirely with items that are not immediately ready to go back on the floor as is. Softlines deals mostly with things that need a great deal of work to be done to make it presentation ready. And step off the floor? Where? What off floor area that is suitable for merchandise prep? And it really will kill you to grab a stupid spiderwrap out of the bin right next to you where all of the ones taken off merchandise are kept, use the magnet right there to open it, and then wrap it? If we have to do it and you don't want us taking up desk area, then where do we get spiderwrap and a magnet for opening it? And again, when looking at the time, GS will take far less time spiderwrapping something than softlines or hardlines or beauty as we would have to seek out equipment and area while you have it all right there handy.

Again it's not their responsibility to spider wrap up at guest services, they're usually pretty busy. Plus you don't need much space to spider wrap a item. I've done it on a 3 tier before. If you're pushing something that has to be merch protected, it's your responsibility to get it protected. Doesnt matter if your Electronics, Flow, Softlines, who ever. Just dont get your AP on your case

If you see something that should be spider wrapped, just take it to Electronics for it to be wrapped. If you dont wanna do it yourself

I find it a little hard to believe that hardlines or electronics or beauty deal almost entirely with items that are not immediately ready to go back on the floor as is. Softlines deals mostly with things that need a great deal of work to be done to make it presentation ready. And step off the floor? Where? What off floor area that is suitable for merchandise prep? And it really will kill you to grab a stupid spiderwrap out of the bin right next to you where all of the ones taken off merchandise are kept, use the magnet right there to open it, and then wrap it? If we have to do it and you don't want us taking up desk area, then where do we get spiderwrap and a magnet for opening it? And again, when looking at the time, GS will take far less time spiderwrapping something than softlines or hardlines or beauty as we would have to seek out equipment and area while you have it all right there handy.

Again, not my team's responsibility. We don't have the time for that and we're not making the time for that just because you don't want to do it. You do not need space in the backroom for merch pro. You go to GS, pick up your reshops, grab a few spiderwraps and leave. You can check out the keys from clerical, partner with another TM on the floor, go to electronics, maybe even ask a nearby TPS for help, and put the spiderwrap on yourself. All the space you need is enough to plant your feet.

You're trying to excuse yourself and make softlines sound as if it's so busy with no time to do anything. Well guess what? Every department is busy and has their own struggles. I don't let market bring their QMOS to GS to be Toss'd out. I don't let electronics bring their broken items to the front to be defected out. I don't let hardlines bring damaged items to the front for rewrap stickers. Honey you're not above the rest of the store. Find a way to merch pro your own items or stop complaining.

You're trying to excuse yourself and make softlines sound as if it's so busy with no time to do anything. Well guess what? Every department is busy and has their own struggles. I don't let market bring their QMOS to GS to be Toss'd out. I don't let electronics bring their broken items to the front to be defected out. I don't let hardlines bring damaged items to the front for rewrap stickers. Honey you're not above the rest of the store. Find a way to merch pro your own items or stop complaining.
All that is your job though. Everyone is to bring broken stuff and stuff needing rewrap to GS. That was made clear a few weeks ago, we stopped doing our own rewrap and salvage and started taking it to the front. So sorry, who's being lazy? Heck, technically GS is supposed to fold shirts, but I told them I don't want them to on my shifts and I think it's carried over to all other FROs.

All that is your job though. Everyone is to bring broken stuff and stuff needing rewrap to GS. That was made clear a few weeks ago, we stopped doing our own rewrap and salvage and started taking it to the front. So sorry, who's being lazy? Heck, technically GS is supposed to fold shirts, but I told them I don't want them to on my shifts and I think it's carried over to all other FROs.

Ask your ETL to show you the new modernization guidelines. Service Desk is only supposed to deal with rewraps, reshops, and defectives from returns. Nothing from the salesfloor. Merch pro guidelines are separate and could vary by district depending on the APBP. Currently in my district merch pro is not owned by the Service Desk. It's owned by the salesfoor TMs. Now your store could decide to ignore guidelines and do things there own way, in which case ASANTS very much applies here. However speaking strictly from guidelines, none of what you listed is is the responsibility of service desk.

They are team players who jump in, not "not my problem" like you do. Who sucks, the ones that do a lot of stuff or the ones that won't work with the sales floor?

Anyone who works salesfloor should learn from service desk how to do rewraps, defectives, etc. so they aren’t dumping that responsibility on guest services. Making guest services do extra stuff outside their roles isn’t them being a team player by handling it. You’re putting them behind on their work, and they probably resent that a bit after a while since you should be fully capable of doing it yourself.

Beauty processes their own rewraps (which you can do from any hip printer, btw) and defectives and I'm gonna ask my GE if we can make that a softlines responsibility too. They have a tendency to just drop a basket or cart full of defectives at our guest service desk right at the end of the night, which turns my green close into a very bright red. It's part of the Beauty team's closing routine to process all their defectives and sort their reshop at guest services and I see no reason why Softlines (which is a much bigger team) can't do the same.

Also I taped over the coupon slot at my SCO a few months ago and it's still there :cool:

i did that bc a coupon scammer dropped her coupons down there before i could review them. i let her get away with it that time, but the next time she came in and had to show me her coupons she was s alty

They have a tendency to just drop a basket or cart full of defectives at our guest service desk right at the end of the night, which turns my green close into a very bright red.
My entire store’s salesfloor is like this. When I close I have to make a walkie call around 2 hours til close and ask team members to “please bring their reshop and defectives up to the service desk asap.” Too many nights carts come up to me after we close at 11 or right at 11 and I have to scramble to make sure my clean, organized service desk looks that way for the opener.

Every market team member except for two does their own, but the other two straight up say “they don’t feel like it.” I’ve talked to my GSTL who also hates it and she has gone to their TL, but they still do it.

Also I taped over the coupon slot at my SCO a few months ago and it's still there :cool:

i did that bc a coupon scammer dropped her coupons down there before i could review them. i let her get away with it that time, but the next time she came in and had to show me her coupons she was s alty
I am not afraid to wait for the GSTL to open up the box for high value coupons.

As for GS spiderwraps, you all know I usually err on the side of GS, but this one, GS shpuld be doing if possible. Sometimes if we’re insanely busy or just human and forget that’s one thing but by and large we should be spiderwrapping reshop.

Nope. It’s just not even a suggestion at my store which is IGS and the very last thing I’m going to be thinking (or caring) about.

Also depends on how busy the service desk is. When they tried banning our GSTMs from doing defectives/rewraps/etc, all they had to do most of the day was dust the Bullseye statue in One Spot (seriously!) and straighten the candy under the GS desk.

Back