Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

They don't announce praise for TMs in other workcenters. There's no "Everyone, Bill just went out to grab carts because we didn't schedule an attendant today. Thanks, Bill." Or, "Team, Helen volunteered to help stock infants after she finished all of her section early today. Thanks, Helen."

Really? Because at my store if a salesfloor TM gets a recognition card from a guest, we announce it on the walkie..."hey team, XXX got an amazing shoutout from a guest for providing awesome service. Way to go, XXX!" or "thank you to AAA, BBB, CCC for coming up to back up on the lanes!"

This had nothing to do with what anyone has said but I think at guest service we should be making as much as they make in electronics and softlines. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Hot take

Guest Service doesnt deserve the specialty pay

Don't @ me GStms

I do believe they deserve a form of a raise to deal with the Guests but to give them the 50 cent bump is asking for too much

Electronics along with Softlines. Food (sbux, Market/pfresh, and Cafe) and Beauty deserve the 50 cents because of the amount of work they have to put in. They go through a decent amount of training, product knowledge, food safety training, and etc. Not only that they have to be knowledgable of the Backroom [not including sbux and cafe] they need know the every ins and outs of their department. Then add the e2e responsibilities, pushing Truck, POGs, Guest servicing. Not including having to deal with other departments [ie; Electronics dealing with Toys] we really work for that 50 cent boost

And honestly Guest Services doesnt even come close to that. I know that type of that environment is stressful but its definitely not up there with the Mod Depts.

I wont argue with a raise but the 50 cent boost is pushing it

Thanks for attending my Ted Talk

Hot take

Don't @ me GStms

I do believe they deserve a form of a raise to deal with the Guests but to give them the 50 cent bump is asking for too much

Electronics along with Softlines. Food (sbux, Market/pfresh, and Cafe) and Beauty deserve the 50 cents because of the amount of work they have to put in. They go through a decent amount of training, product knowledge, food safety training, and etc. Not only that they have to be knowledgable of the Backroom [not including sbux and cafe] they need know the every ins and outs of their department. Then add the e2e responsibilities, pushing Truck, POGs, Guest servicing. Not including having to deal with other departments [ie; Electronics dealing with Toys] we really work for that 50 cent boost

And honestly Guest Services doesnt even come close to that. I know that type of that environment is stressful but its definitely not up there with the Mod Depts.

Hot take 50 cents ain’t what it used to be amigo

I would bump everyone at front end +$5.00 if I could just bc of how horrifying cashiering/guest service is. But I’d also see to it that Electronics TMs get bonuses for sales too

Hot take

Don't @ me GStms

i agree

I assume that electronics needs more per hour to attract good people. We have one very good at product knowledge and service, and she makes a difference. But beauty? Knowing policy for returnable, sorting out complexities for guests, dealing with ship to store, drive ups, pick ups, sports, etc is way more complex than what's going on in beauty!

It only takes me about 8 hours to train someone at Guest Services. If you're quick on your feet you can easily pick it up in one or two shifts. I think @OneArmedJesus mentioned product knowledge, selling, and guest servicing is why Electronics, Beauty, and Apparel make more than base and Starbucks/Cafe/Market make more than base to account for the additional food safety and product handling training that's required to work in those areas.

I had a weird phone call this morning at the service desk, and I want to know if part of it was something on my end.

So I assume all (or most) stores are doing the "Buy 3 toilet paper/detergent/whatever, get a $10 gift card." A guest called and said "I did the [deal I just described], and the receipt shows that I was charged for the gift card."

I responded with, "So, how those coupons work in our system is that once you scan the items in, the system gives you $10 off the purchase. Then, once we hit total, it charges for a $10 gift card. So, it'll look like you paid for the gift card, but you should see there was a coupon there as well. You did receive the gift card right?"

She goes "Yes, I got the card... but that doesn't make sense. Because you gave me the discount, but then you charge me the amount, so it adds to zero, so I got nothing."

I explained the way the coupon works again, and she kept responding with that response, and we went back and forth like 4 times. Eventually, I just told her "the deal isn't advertised as a discount on the toilet paper, it's advertised as winning a $10 gift card, and you do have the gift card."

She sighed, grumbled a bit about it still not making sense, and then told me to have a nice day and hung up.

Is there a better way I could have explained that or something? Because I couldn't grasp what about that was confusing/misleading.

I had a weird phone call this morning at the service desk, and I want to know if part of it was something on my end.

So I assume all (or most) stores are doing the "Buy 3 toilet paper/detergent/whatever, get a $10 gift card." A guest called and said "I did the [deal I just described], and the receipt shows that I was charged for the gift card."

I responded with, "So, how those coupons work in our system is that once you scan the items in, the system gives you $10 off the purchase. Then, once we hit total, it charges for a $10 gift card. So, it'll look like you paid for the gift card, but you should see there was a coupon there as well. You did receive the gift card right?"

She goes "Yes, I got the card... but that doesn't make sense. Because you gave me the discount, but then you charge me the amount, so it adds to zero, so I got nothing."

I explained the way the coupon works again, and she kept responding with that response, and we went back and forth like 4 times. Eventually, I just told her "the deal isn't advertised as a discount on the toilet paper, it's advertised as winning a $10 gift card, and you do have the gift card."

She sighed, grumbled a bit about it still not making sense, and then told me to have a nice day and hung up.

Is there a better way I could have explained that or something? Because I couldn't grasp what about that was confusing/misleading.
Basically, the system takes the discount off the items and places it on a GC. We need to account for the GC and that is why it is shown in the receipt. When she uses that GC on her next purchase that $10 is taken off her purchase. I hate the way it is shown on the receipt as it is confusing for the guests.

Basically, the system takes the discount off the items and places it on a GC. We need to account for the GC and that is why it is shown in the receipt. When she uses that GC on her next purchase that $10 is taken off her purchase. I hate the way it is shown on the receipt as it is confusing for the guests.
I know. The way it’s shown on receipts is rediculous. All promos on receipts are insane.

the receipts really aren't all that confusing, it's people not taking the time to read it.
"refund value" was confusing. It implied that you weren't being refunded for what you paid. "Paid for value" is a little better... but I don't understand why they can't do "You paid..." like every other store

and It did take me a hot second to understand how gift cards are charged under the new receipt promo system. it is confusing, because at first glance it looks like you were just charged $10.

yes, if people read it, they'd understand, but target has to realize that guests don't take the time to read it.

the receipts really aren't all that confusing, it's people not taking the time to read it.
I think it has already been established that a lot of our guests do not read or have poor reading comprehension skills. I had a guest giving me a hard time the other day because she said all the Halloween candy was 25% off. She walked me over to one of the signs and it was the sign for signing up for a red card and you would get $25 off a future purchase. Even after reading it again she told me it was misleading. Ummmm, OK????

Hot take

Don't @ me GStms

Obviously you have never ever worked guest service before or have but didn’t get the worst of it. Every single truck day we get the biggest push ever for bullseye it’s taller than I ever am and there is atleast 5 every truck day and all are expected to be done by the end of a shift. It sounds easy but when you’re busy it’s not at all. Then you have carts and carts of reshop to sort through and then carts build up because everyone is busy and cannot get reshop. We have to do all the safety training too just fyi. We have a save the sale device, which means we are making sales too at GS so why shouldn’t we make that extra 50 cents. We get little to no recognition And get everyone sent up to us when that team member is done dealing with them and now we have to. We deal with all the rude guest you never have to and we are expected to keep our area spotless on a busy day with lines all the way to the door. So yeah i think we deserve that extra 50 cents.

Also as a former electronics team member I know how electronics is and how gs is and I do way more at gs than i ever did in electronics.

Back