Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

If one of my guest service team members did that in front of me I’d coach them on the spot. I’m usually pretty lenient with my team but when it comes to getting the guests in and out in a fast fun and friendly manner and we have a team member wasting not only the guests time but my time and the other guests in line time for their own self gratification that pisses me off. What difference does it make if the guest checks out at guest service vs the checklanes?( especially if it is slow and guest service has minimal defects I would be more than happy to assist at guest service if there was a guest being problematic by whining about wanting to checkout at guest service). Sorry, childish behavior like this from team members just really irks me, and you best believe I will address it on the spot. In the end we have one job and part of our job is to provide great guest service while making reasonable accommodations for our guests.
What provides great service to the larger number of guests? Making a point of showing one guest that ultimately it's slower, so the guest will use the regular lanes next time, which means all guests that would have been stuck behind that guest every single time they bring a full shopping cart up will instead get speedy service every time in the future that the full cart guest comes in? Or making the experience for full cart guest so nice they bring a full shopping cart up every single time, slowing down all other guests behind them on future trips?

Cost/benefit analysis. There's zero way of making everyone happy all the time. Getting people with full shopping carts to use the regular checklanes will ultimately make far, far more guests happy and feel loved because they aren't stuck behind those people wondering why the heck Target doesn't have a policy to refuse service to people with too many items.

I’m huge on not having a guest wait in two lines when it can be handled with one. That being said there is definitely a limit.... the gstl before me would coach TMs for not letting guests check out at the service desk which is understandable but some took it so literal I had to coach someone a few weeks ago because she was the only person over there and checked out a 300 dollar order (overflowing cart of home items) while she had 6 guests waiting in line....

That’s why I said I would be more than happy to hop on and assist. Been doing this for a long time and my guest service lines never exceed
What provides great service to the larger number of guests? Making a point of showing one guest that ultimately it's slower, so the guest will use the regular lanes next time, which means all guests that would have been stuck behind that guest every single time they bring a full shopping cart up will instead get speedy service every time in the future that the full cart guest comes in? Or making the experience for full cart guest so nice they bring a full shopping cart up every single time, slowing down all other guests behind them on future trips?

Cost/benefit analysis. There's zero way of making everyone happy all the time. Getting people with full shopping carts to use the regular checklanes will ultimately make far, far more guests happy and feel loved because they aren't stuck behind those people wondering why the heck Target doesn't have a policy to refuse service to people with too many items.

Random thought, I've only heard the term GSA used once before. It's only used on schedules for us. I never hear anyone call someone a GSA

If one of my guest service team members did that in front of me I’d coach them on the spot. I’m usually pretty lenient with my team but when it comes to getting the guests in and out in a fast fun and friendly manner and we have a team member wasting not only the guests time but my time and the other guests in line time for their own self gratification that pisses me off. What difference does it make if the guest checks out at guest service vs the checklanes?( especially if it is slow and guest service has minimal defects I would be more than happy to assist at guest service if there was a guest being problematic by whining about wanting to checkout at guest service). Sorry, childish behavior like this from team members just really irks me, and you best believe I will address it on the spot. In the end we have one job and part of our job is to provide great guest service while making reasonable accommodations for our guests.

We are 100% authorized to turn a guest with a large basket of items away from guest services. GSAs back this. The TLs will back us. We don't have the counter space, or the right tools, to make it go quickly. Not everyone is GS trained. In fact, very few TMs are.

TLs have gotten in the middle of a profanity-spewing guest, and us, at our store, and made them walk over to the check-lanes.

There was one time a couple of years ago right after Christmas when everything was clearanced out right before salvage, and this woman had 500+ (before clearance) worth of merch (wrapping paper, boxes, ornaments, seasonal food) in her cart. She called our GSTM some nasty, horrible things because the TM wouldn't check her out up there. The LOD got right in front of her and told her where she could go check out, or leave his store without the merchandise.
The woman gawked, at him, and then literally walked over to the check-lanes and got in express.
LOD immediately came over and took over for that cashier, whom opened up another express. That woman never looked up, or spoke to the LOD again. Just took her receipt and left.
:rolleyes:

Usually there's no drama... they listen, and go stand in line. There's always that one guest that thinks they're entitled to whatever they want, though. "Oh I only have like five!" Five, plus, like, 15. Must be that common core math.
It's usually a millennial, and there's a toddler in the cart that's dressed better than I am in my time off. :cool:

Depends on the situation, imo. If there's nobody behind them or I've got backup, I'm more than willing to just check out a guest with a significant amount of items. If it's super busy and there's no backup for me (not uncommon at all), then it isn't reasonable for me to check out a cart full of stuff. If there's guests behind them, it's poor guest service for the guest with a simple return to wait behind someone with a cart full of groceries.

We are 100% authorized to turn a guest with a large basket of items away from guest services. GSAs back this. The TLs will back us. We don't have the counter space, or the right tools, to make it go quickly. Not everyone is GS trained. In fact, very few TMs are.

TLs have gotten in the middle of a profanity-spewing guest, and us, at our store, and made them walk over to the check-lanes.

There was one time a couple of years ago right after Christmas when everything was clearanced out right before salvage, and this woman had 500+ (before clearance) worth of merch (wrapping paper, boxes, ornaments, seasonal food) in her cart. She called our GSTM some nasty, horrible things because the TM wouldn't check her out up there. The LOD got right in front of her and told her where she could go check out, or leave his store without the merchandise.
The woman gawked, at him, and then literally walked over to the check-lanes and got in express.
LOD immediately came over and took over for that cashier, whom opened up another express. That woman never looked up, or spoke to the LOD again. Just took her receipt and left.
:rolleyes:

Usually there's no drama... they listen, and go stand in line. There's always that one guest that thinks they're entitled to whatever they want, though. "Oh I only have like five!" Five, plus, like, 15. Must be that common core math.
It's usually a millennial, and there's a toddler in the cart that's dressed better than I am in my time off. :cool:

If they've got like ten (or even twenty!) items, I'm more than happy to just help them at Guest Service bc I like to think I'm pretty fast. But when it starts to interfere with other guests' experience, that's where I draw the line.

As someone who once got in trouble for ringing up a guest with a full cart at the service desk, I usually turn full carts away. We have a rule of ‘5 items or less,’ so a lot of times I’ll mention “oh we’re five items or less over here, but I can do it for you this time.” as long as they don’t have an overflowing cart and it’s slow or I’m not alone at the service desk.

I know what you're thinking, did I ring out 600 items or only 500? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that this is an NCR RealScan 4208, the most janky handheld scanner in the world and would accidentally scan your items several times, you gotta ask yourself one question, "Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya, ma'am?

We literally can’t figure out how to work it now that they’ve updated. How do I do a return? How do I find their registry number?
Download the registry iOS app and make a fake one and fiddle around. That’s what the new UI is based off of.

AFAIK it’s in the same side menu, then tap make a return.

The registry mydevices finally got updated with a new UI. Looks a million times better.
Good to hear. Even though ours are broken and the kiosks themselves are ...also broken.. I hope they’ll be back up soon :( the amount of registries we’ve had to print out for angry guests at TSC is too damn high

My ETL and i spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get someone’s registry ID from it so we could write it down for the gift bags, no luck. I found the make a return button but when I press I think it says “registry info” for some reason it doesn’t have their registry ID. We asked to look at their welcome email and also pull it up on their phone and we couldn’t find it. So now we’re giving away gift bags without the registry ID because no one can figure it out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My ETL and i spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get someone’s registry ID from it so we could write it down for the gift bags, no luck. I found the make a return button but when I press I think it says “registry info” for some reason it doesn’t have their registry ID. We asked to look at their welcome email and also pull it up on their phone and we couldn’t find it. So now we’re giving away gift bags without the registry ID because no one can figure it out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We don’t check ID??? We just give bags to anyone who asks

:eek: This way we keep track of 1 per person. Every registry has a unique ID number we write down along with their first and last name and the date they got the bag
We have a lot of coupon scammers but no one has ever tried to come back for more than one bag. Do you guys reference the list every time you hand out a bag? If not what’s the point?

We have a lot of coupon scammers but no one has ever tried to come back for more than one bag. Do you guys reference the list every time you hand out a bag? If not what’s the point?
Yeah we actually do haha. It doesn’t stop them from hitting up multiple targets but it stops them from getting more than one from our store

I think we’re all technically supposed to keep track of who is getting the registry bags so people don’t take multiple but we definitely just give them to anyone that asks at my store haha

We don't really care about the registry bags at my store. Having twins? Here's two bags for you. We were out of bags last time you came to get one? Here you go! There's way too much going on at my desk to try and police the registry bags, it's not like there's anything all that great in there anyway. We do give our registry guests a free grande drink from Starbucks, but that's only if they sign up for the registry with a team member so they can't keep getting free drinks.

Back