Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

I was told that Merch Locate shows only stores in your district. I could have been mis-informed.

At my store we’ve always had 3 IGS + a couple cash lanes on one side of the store and 8 lanes + 4 SCO on the complete opposite side. Well, we just went through a remodel where the IGS area was completely redone, and is now strictly guest service (there are also supposed to be self checkouts over there but they’re not done yet) and opened it up a couple days ago.

The guests complained so badly that they could no longer checkout on the guest service side of the store that we now have to ring them out at guest service.

Do you know how much fun it is to ring out $200 worth of someone’s groceries with just a hand scanner, a tiny counter with no conveyer belt, and the bags being hung on a tiny hook with no support under them?

It’s honestly miserable, the whole situation kinda sucks :eek: anyone else have this issue at their store?

Only a couple times, when people do a return and ask “can I checkout here too?” I say “10 items or less” and usually people are like “oh okay”. but I get some cry babies that are like “oh my god please I don’t want to wait in line again I’m in a rush etc”, I usually say “I have a tiny little scanner and no counter space, honestly it’s gonna be longer for me to scan your stuff than your wait in line”, sometimes that works but sometimes they still whine. So i emphasize opening the bag up on the counter, picking up the hand scanner, scanning, putting it back in the holder, putting the item in the bag. And repeat. I like to hope it discourages them from wanting to do it again lol

Only a couple times, when people do a return and ask “can I checkout here too?” I say “10 items or less” and usually people are like “oh okay”. but I get some cry babies that are like “oh my god please I don’t want to wait in line again I’m in a rush etc”, I usually say “I have a tiny little scanner and no counter space, honestly it’s gonna be longer for me to scan your stuff than your wait in line”, sometimes that works but sometimes they still whine. So i emphasize opening the bag up on the counter, picking up the hand scanner, scanning, putting it back in the holder, putting the item in the bag. And repeat. I like to hope it discourages them from wanting to do it again lol
At my store the rule is we will check out like 10 items or less, or any amount so long as there is no line behind and they’re doing something related to guest service

We have to check the guest out even if they have $300 worth of stuff and no guest service business. It’s physically painful

Random question: Do anyone of you guys have a Pick up area that's separate from Guest Services? There's a store in my district that does and it's pretty interesting

myWork only shows stores in a certain distance from your store. If a guest asks me whether or not a store across the state has an item, I have no way of knowing without calling that store.
The target app has a function that will give you the in stock location of every Target. Its in the area where you change the zipcode

fyi, merch locate has been disabled. it was useful when I needed to check and see if a store across the state had any of a product on hand, and it wouldn't crash the register if you only let it time out instead of trying to exit the program :(

Oh no! I had no idea it's gone. I loved using it. Perfect for that guest that wants info to call around themselves. Just print all locations on a receipt, write down count #s and send them on their merry way. Not everyone wants to stand awkwardly nearby while you're on hold with every store.

And yeah. Some people are totally willing to drive further for an item. Or they need like 10 of something. And the website doesn't provide exact counts (not that they're always right or anything).

I once called a store halfway across the country for a guest. She was going on vacation there and wanted to just pick it up when she got there the next day. (Before OPU was a thing) It's a shame it's gone. I mean it's doable with the app. I just liked being able to hop on a register when I have no equipment.

The guests complained so badly that they could no longer checkout on the guest service side of the store that we now have to ring them out at guest service.

And these are exactly the same people who are now bitching and moaning about having to wait behind someone checking out $200 worth of groceries at guest services.

we're getting drive up. anyone here have it? if so, who is responsible for it? (i have this sinking feeling that it's gonna be dumped onto the front end which is barely functional as it is)

I believe it’s whoever is scheduled for OPU at GS

That's how they plan to do it at my store. Only problem is when no one is scheduled for OPU. Then the GS tm is supposed to take over. The only problem with that is when there is only 1 GS tm scheduled, do they just ignore the line at the desk to run the bags out to the soccer mom waiting in the lot? Definitely have some kinks to work out.

we're getting drive up. anyone here have it? if so, who is responsible for it? (i have this sinking feeling that it's gonna be dumped onto the front end which is barely functional as it is)
We have cashiers scheduled to do it (on the new schedule that just posted on Friday) but some are saying they don’t feel comfortable taking things out to some random person in the parking lot. I see their point. I’m not sure if they were asked or just assigned.

Random question: Do anyone of you guys have a Pick up area that's separate from Guest Services? There's a store in my district that does and it's pretty interesting

I trained at a store like this. It's up to the GSTL to get it to GS.

That's how they plan to do it at my store. Only problem is when no one is scheduled for OPU. Then the GS tm is supposed to take over. The only problem with that is when there is only 1 GS tm scheduled, do they just ignore the line at the desk to run the bags out to the soccer mom waiting in the lot? Definitely have some kinks to work out.
Ah yeah at my store we always have 2 occasionally 3 GSTMs. Technically one is always OPU but at my store everyone at GS does everything. No drive up.

That's interesting .

They have their own separate counter for OPU at this store

Hm. OPU is done by a HLTM, BRTL, or there are a couple of BRTM that have been trained, at my store. Guest services is tethered to guest services. You're stuck there! FOR. EV. ER. *Hotel California starts playing in the background...*

I love reading about the different ways different stores do it.

Edited to add: and it's always picked up at guest services.

Hm. OPU is done by a HLTM, BRTL, or there are a couple of BRTM that have been trained, at my store. Guest services is tethered to guest services. You're stuck there! FOR. EV. ER. *Hotel California starts playing in the background...*

I love reading about the different ways different stores do it.

Edited to add: and it's always picked up at guest services.

Our store, sfs tms will do it when they are there . If not the BRTL or the LoD.

When they're not there. It's the closing Backroom or whoever is scheduled for OPU pick, then it's who is flex trained. I've done it while running electronics lol

Speaking of this other store, so they have a completely separate Counter from GS for Pick up and registery (which looks like the new and improved GS that come with a new remodel) I thought it was pretty interesting

If one of my guest service team members did that in front of me I’d coach them on the spot. I’m usually pretty lenient with my team but when it comes to getting the guests in and out in a fast fun and friendly manner and we have a team member wasting not only the guests time but my time and the other guests in line time for their own self gratification that pisses me off. What difference does it make if the guest checks out at guest service vs the checklanes?( especially if it is slow and guest service has minimal defects I would be more than happy to assist at guest service if there was a guest being problematic by whining about wanting to checkout at guest service). Sorry, childish behavior like this from team members just really irks me, and you best believe I will address it on the spot. In the end we have one job and part of our job is to provide great guest service while making reasonable accommodations for our guests.

Back