Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

I've dealt with prepaid Visa scams at previous jobs and they're definitely very "easy" to pull off in the sense that you can make off with quite the haul if you do it right, but then the law shows up to haul you away in a van. I could be making hella money right now if the blue would just leave me alone
Anyone who does visa scams doesn’t do them for long

I love having the remodel coupons because now I can hand those out in make it right situations instead of having to generate a $5 gift card.

(For those wondering it’s 5% off storewide, with exclusions)

Didn't know where else to post this, but I have to admit that I lost my temper at a guest today while I was at guest services. Guest had several online returns on different receipts and she implied that I didn't know what I was doing since I couldn't process them all at once without her matching the items to her receipts. I know she could have inserted her card, but I was so tired that I didn't want to argue with the guest anymore. I'm blanking out on what the guest exactly said, but I became frustrated and flipped one of her receipts back to her when I finished one of her returns. The guest became angry and demanded that I call a manager. I was just so angry and it was 4:00 PM, which was the time at which another guest services team member was scheduled so she should have been there, but as I was walking to TSC, I found out she was still back-up cashiering. I ended up clocking out after I said I would not complete her return due to her attitude without telling anyone as I felt I needed to get out of the situation ASAP.
I definitely feel bad for the other guest service team member because she got stuck dealing with the long line and the angry guest whom I left behind. I realize you need thicker skin at guest services due to the nature of the job, but I would like to reflect on this experience and hope to get some constructive criticism on how to handle difficult guests at guest services.

I love having the remodel coupons because now I can hand those out in make it right situations instead of having to generate a $5 gift card.

(For those wondering it’s 5% off storewide, with exclusions)

Doesn’t seem that great tbh - basically getting the redcard discount without the card.

Didn't know where else to post this, but I have to admit that I lost my temper at a guest today while I was at guest services. Guest had several online returns on different receipts and she implied that I didn't know what I was doing since I couldn't process them all at once without her matching the items to her receipts. I know she could have inserted her card, but I was so tired that I didn't want to argue with the guest anymore. I'm blanking out on what the guest exactly said, but I became frustrated and flipped one of her receipts back to her when I finished one of her returns. The guest became angry and demanded that I call a manager. I was just so angry and it was 4:00 PM, which was the time at which another guest services team member was scheduled so she should have been there, but as I was walking to TSC, I found out she was still back-up cashiering. I ended up clocking out after I said I would not complete her return due to her attitude without telling anyone as I felt I needed to get out of the situation ASAP.
I definitely feel bad for the other guest service team member because she got stuck dealing with the long line and the angry guest whom I left behind. I realize you need thicker skin at guest services due to the nature of the job, but I would like to reflect on this experience and hope to get some constructive criticism on how to handle difficult guests at guest services.

I would guess you are going to get a talking to. Just learn from the experience. You have to kind of just zone out and stay zen with difficult guests. My trick is that I really don't care what guests think, so it's easy to let anything they say slide. YMMV

But, I'm confused by "Guest had several online returns on different receipts and she implied that I didn't know what I was doing since I couldn't process them all at once without her matching the items to her receipts"

You can scan all the receipts first and then scan all the items to process everything quickly.

Next time you have to process multiple returns just scan all of the receipt barcodes at once. Then you can return everything and staple the whole shitshow together.

As for guests who are shitshow, please refrain from stapling them. Maybe just take a breath and apologize. I’m sorry, I’m only human and today I’m really struggling, and it would be amazing if you could help me out just a little. Sometimes a simple reminder of that is all it takes. If the birch switch is still on just walk away and “go find a manager” for them (aka the SETL or whoever is watching the lanes, and let them know you’re leaving).

Just a tip if you have a guest with multiple online receipts and you try to scan one and then scan others and it beeps at you it just means that the receipts are on the same order so you only need to scan one of them.

But if they are all on different orders it won’t beep at you so try scanning all of them first just in case - just cause it beeps at you doesn’t mean you can’t do multiple it just means you don’t have to scan all of them (I was confused at first)

Sounds like you may need additional training. You can scan all the guests receipts and then scan their items. Having said that, dealing with difficult guests can be a challenge. Next time you’re feeling stressed maybe you could ask for help. I’d like to think someone at your store would be there for you if you needed help. Try and remember that you don’t know what is going on in any one else’s life, so try and give the the benefit of doubt.

Holy shit. If you were one of my advocates, you'd definitely get coached for not taking a partner when you needed help and for abandoning your guests without your relief advocate/some other coverage taking over. There is obviously a gap in your training, which I hope your TL will address to get you properly trained. However, it is never appropriate to cop an attitude with a guest, especially physically. This is a $13 an hour job, it isn't worth the aggravation you put into this interaction. Next time, call your TL (or other TL if your's isn't there) for help. We get trained and paid to handle difficult guests, you don't.

That sucks. I've lost it a couple times with guests too. We're human. I beat myself up over it for a while, and am now better prepared for the next asshole. There will be another one.
My advice: use the walkie! Ask for help. Stop engaging.

Just a tip if you have a guest with multiple online receipts and you try to scan one and then scan others and it beeps at you it just means that the receipts are on the same order so you only need to scan one of them.

But if they are all on different orders it won’t beep at you so try scanning all of them first just in case - just cause it beeps at you doesn’t mean you can’t do multiple it just means you don’t have to scan all of them (I was confused at first)
But if they’re on the same order but different shipments, you DO need to scan different packing slips.

So in the latest fun installment of Target's POS is whack, if we suspend a sale and rescan the ticket, the whole system crashes. It must have something to do with our new card reader screen that forces the Target circle phone number to being entered (or not) before being allowed to hit total. Really annoying.

A lot of people have made some good suggestions so I will be covering similar ground.
I can't help you with procedure, you have good help from folks here but there are good ways to deal with deescalating the situation so you don't want to hurt the Karen or yourself.

Getting backup/partnering up was one suggestion and is a really good idea, the other person may know tricks you don't and can take some of the heat while you are trying to get the work done.
If you can't get backup, take a deep breath, speak calmly and from your center, choose your words with care and don't let the person push you.
Do the job to the best of abilities and don't allow them to fluster you, no matter what they say or do, there is a wall between you and them.
If they ask for a manager, you call one but continue to do the work.
Talk to the guest like they are a recalcitrant child that may need multiple explanations to get your point and never back down.
Keep your voice at the same low register and pitch, keep repeating the points you need to get across.
When the manager gets there explain the situation calmly then step away.

Karen ain't going to fuck with you.

@redeye58 has a cooler you can go scream in later.

you can scan multiple packing slips together but not after scanning an in store receipt

Back