Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Yep. Back when i was answering phones the rude people would get "CVS is a separate business, i cannot transfer, i dont have their number." Polite people would get "CVS is a separate business, i cant transfer, i dont have the number, but if you hang up and call back and select the pharmacy prompt it will transfer you to CVS' phone system." (I would say the prompt number for pharmacy to polite people but i have forgotten what it was.)

Edit: And when i needed to call out and the phones werent working i would call CVS that way and nicely beg them to tell someone the phones were nonfunctional.

Last edited:
Yep. Back when i was answering phones the rude people would get "CVS is a separate business, i cannot transfer, i dont have their number." Polite people would get "CVS is a separate business, i cant transfer, i dont have the number, but if you hang up and call back and select the pharmacy prompt it will transfer you to CVS' phone system." (I would say the prompt number for pharmacy to polite people but i have forgotten what it was.)

Edit: And when i needed to call out and the phones werent working i would call CVS that way and nicely beg them to tell someone the phones were nonfunctional.
If you pickup on the myDevice and hit transfer. instead of putting in a number like 2182. hit the little phone book button at the top. There is a pharmacy extension (which just calls the pharmacy for them). then hit complete transfer and done!

If you pickup on the myDevice and hit transfer. instead of putting in a number like 2182. hit the little phone book button at the top. There is a pharmacy extension (which just calls the pharmacy for them). then hit complete transfer and done!
You can also transfer to 9-612-307-7777 to banish a prank caller to a line that plays Target hold music all day. ☺️

Are we able to report app glitches somewhere like through the chat box on myDay? I had a major glitch in Pickup where a guest ordered stuff at another store and three things were out of stock and transferred to my store. The guest came when the order was not ready, so we explained that we have to cancel it and buy in store and all that. When I cancelled her three things that were at our store through the pickup app, the guest came back in a few minutes later and showed me that the entire order at the other Target was cancelled and the three items at my store were not cancelled. It was over $100 of stuff and the guest was pretty mad. I don’t understand how that happened since it doesn’t show us what’s at the other store.

It would be really great if front-end management could get their sh@$ straight.

Yell "the first/second/etc self checkout is open!" to "We don't do that anymore, now we go over and physically guide them to the next self-checkout"

"that shade of red is fine" to "Actually you can't wear that anymore"

"Call for fast service!" to "call for backup"

"call said backup to any register on the front row" to "only these certain ones on the back row"

"don't touch price change" to "you should already know how to do price change, here's how to do it, tie these empty spots here to the product that's been hung there"

Now imagine this reminder of the change in policy is said to you in a tone like one might use with the village idiot, the most condescending tone possible, we have always been at war with east eurasia and you are dumb for not remembering it, kind of tone.

The ADHD makes it hard for me to remember shit as it is, and it takes me longer to learn stuff than it would a normal person. I can't handle this constant switching around of policy. The second I pride myself on being able to remember something they've changed it again, and there's always *THAT TONE*. It wouldn't be so bad if they changed their mind every other week but it can depend greatly on which manager is on duty...and it doesn't matter if some other manager told you to do it that way, the one on duty NOW says you're doing it wrong and you should KNOW this is how we do it!

Praise Odin I only work 3 days a week or I'd lose my mind entirely from the stress.

It would be really great if front-end management could get their sh@$ straight.

Yell "the first/second/etc self checkout is open!" to "We don't do that anymore, now we go over and physically guide them to the next self-checkout"

"that shade of red is fine" to "Actually you can't wear that anymore"

"Call for fast service!" to "call for backup"

"call said backup to any register on the front row" to "only these certain ones on the back row"

"don't touch price change" to "you should already know how to do price change, here's how to do it, tie these empty spots here to the product that's been hung there"

Now imagine this reminder of the change in policy is said to you in a tone like one might use with the village idiot, the most condescending tone possible, we have always been at war with east eurasia and you are dumb for not remembering it, kind of tone.

The ADHD makes it hard for me to remember shit as it is, and it takes me longer to learn stuff than it would a normal person. I can't handle this constant switching around of policy. The second I pride myself on being able to remember something they've changed it again, and there's always *THAT TONE*. It wouldn't be so bad if they changed their mind every other week but it can depend greatly on which manager is on duty...and it doesn't matter if some other manager told you to do it that way, the one on duty NOW says you're doing it wrong and you should KNOW this is how we do it!

Praise Odin I only work 3 days a week or I'd lose my mind entirely from the stress.
The ADHD means you legitimately qualify for accommodations like a written list of instructions. And that means you have a record of how fast instructions change.

I’ve been searching everywhere for our official Cat and Jack warranty. Everything I can find is from a third party site. Are they doing that on purpose? We’re getting people bringing back armloads of stuff and they have receipts on their phones. We’re telling them it’s just for the things that wear out or fall apart, but they think it’s also for things their kids outgrow.
I would really appreciate some clarification from corporate.

I’ve been searching everywhere for our official Cat and Jack warranty. Everything I can find is from a third party site. Are they doing that on purpose? We’re getting people bringing back armloads of stuff and they have receipts on their phones. We’re telling them it’s just for the things that wear out or fall apart, but they think it’s also for things their kids outgrow.
https://help.target.com/help/targetguesthelparticledetail?articleId=ka95d000000GvBVAA0&articleTitle=Are+there+any+return+exceptions%3F&clickSearchVar=Search+Results&searchQuery=return+exceptions

Thank you. I guess cynical, but what’s stopping Karen from coming in and buying clothes for her newborn and then exchanging them for a new wardrobe every time the kid grows. Am I crazy? They will only pay for clothes once until their kids are adults.

I just had the same thing happen. The guest said she "read on social media" that Target donates the clothes to homeless children.

I have been told to "make it right" in every single one of these scenarios because our purpose is to bring joy.
Perhaps they're "not satisfied" it doesn't fit their kid a year later. Target put themself into this corner all on their own. Unless they want to get more specific with that policy, or at a store-by-store basis are comfortable with turning these returns down, karens are gonna karen.

Thank you. I guess cynical, but what’s stopping Karen from coming in and buying clothes for her newborn and then exchanging them for a new wardrobe every time the kid grows. Am I crazy? They will only pay for clothes once until their kids are adults.
Years ago I worked in for a department store chain that guaranteed their boys double-knee jeans. If the kid wore out the knees the customer could return them and get a new pair free. So many people returned those totally destroyed jeans for the next size up that the company ended up restricting the exchanges to same size only. It took a while, but the company finally figured it out that there was a difference between making the customer happy and giving away the store.

Generous return policies make people happy and always rely on more people having shame than not and willing to eat the cost of the nots. Until enough of the nots start showing up that whoever has taken charge of that particular bottom line recently decides to tighten up the policies. The policy tightening goes on until someone new comes in who likely has no visibility to bottom lines and NEWS FLASH alerts everyone that generous return policies makes people happy and so the cycle repeats.

And front-line store TMs end up bearing the brunt either way.

I was just coming on here to look for this. If I get one more guest saying she saw the cat and jack thing on TikTok I will tear my hair out. What you are describing is a no receipt return. I will try to return what you have and if it works great and if it doesn't it doesn't. And the clothes are so old and gross. Ugh make it go away.

The cat and jack return policy specifically states you must have the physical receipt in order to take advantage of the 1 year guarantee

Sometimes it will show up on the card. but I have denied no receipt cat and jack all the time
Yep.... and store policy says make your service advocate look stupid and tell them to make it right. I know.... asants. We make EVERYTHING right. I had to give an order to someone yesterday that had nothing but a name on the order that wasn't theirs and an ID that didn't match the name on the order. WTH???? I am not a fan of being made out to be the bad guy and not a fan of guests taking advantage of a stupid policy. Leader didn't even know what the item was. What if it were a tv or a PS5? What if it was a nasty divorce situation and ex was stealing? IMO, if the pickup person's name is not on the order, you don't give it to them. (Guy refused to call the person that was on the order for verification and would not step aside to wait for the leader. Those in line behind him were shaking their heads. I never lost my cool, but was internally seething at the smug look when the leader told him to make sure his name was on the order "next time".) Sometimes the guest has to walk away unhappy.

Yep.... and store policy says make your service advocate look stupid and tell them to make it right. I know.... asants. We make EVERYTHING right. I had to give an order to someone yesterday that had nothing but a name on the order that wasn't theirs and an ID that didn't match the name on the order. WTH???? I am not a fan of being made out to be the bad guy and not a fan of guests taking advantage of a stupid policy. Leader didn't even know what the item was. What if it were a tv or a PS5? What if it was a nasty divorce situation and ex was stealing? IMO, if the pickup person's name is not on the order, you don't give it to them. (Guy refused to call the person that was on the order for verification and would not step aside to wait for the leader. Those in line behind him were shaking their heads. I never lost my cool, but was internally seething at the smug look when the leader told him to make sure his name was on the order "next time".) Sometimes the guest has to walk away unhappy.
When I work service desk or drive up if , your name is not on the order or you don’t have barcode or 4 digit code you don’t get anything. If a leader says ok then they can do it under their numbers. I’m not doing it. My only exception is if they have the same last name the item is not expensive.

I deny worn cat and jack without a receipt. No merchandise card or make it right. We finally got my whole team on the same page about that, but with receipt/ app we do it. We usually give it back on a gift card. It is frustrating because it is so time consuming (depending on the amount) and some of the clothes are smelly and just unsanitary.

I had a woman recently bring in 4 large bags of cat and jack clothing. It literally took me well over 30 mins and she tried to cause a scene at the end when some of the items didn’t show up. I made another woman last week read me the DPCI out of her daughter’s shoes to return because I told her I didn’t feel comfortable putting my hand in the (very gross!!! like her daughter clearly wore them for months in the rain and mud) worn shoe and holding it up to my face to read. She understood at least, but the lady with the 4 large bags literally had stained and smelly clothes. At least wash it first!!!

Yeah, it’s bad. They are bringing in bags and bags of clothes. The receipts are on their phones. It takes forever because nothing has tags. God I hate it so much!
Fun for Style too when GS then throws those clothes in our reshop! Had a pile one day that I had to damage out (half were already zero value), then more showed up the next day - that's when I went up to GS and paged the front end TL and asked that they please salvage the stuff out at POS.

When I work service desk or drive up if , your name is not on the order or you don’t have barcode or 4 digit code you don’t get anything. If a leader says ok then they can do it under their numbers. I’m not doing it. My only exception is if they have the same last name the item is not expensive.
I'm just curious, I agree with you but have you ever been reprimanded by a leader for something like that where they tell you to give a guest an order even if they don't have a barcode or 4-digit code? It just seemed like something some "leaders" would do.

I'm just curious, I agree with you but have you ever been reprimanded by a leader for something like that where they tell you to give a guest an order even if they don't have a barcode or 4-digit code? It just seemed like something some "leaders" would do.
No most of my leaders back me up on this. My leaders cave on my other things but, not on this.

Back