Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all has to do with advocating for yourself and not being afraid to fail. I also have a math-related learning disability, believe it of not. I needed extensive tutoring to pass algebra 2 and I barely passed. Got an A+ in Honors Geometry, though. But I can handle money and change like a boss. I can also remember drawing odds for Texas Hold 'Em no problem. Basically what I'm saying is if you have problems transposing numbers make yourself a system where it's hard to do that, like counting up. If you have trouble doing it in your head, place the bills on the counter. You can make change.

I have a math disability too thats why sometimes for me the register is a bit complicated it depends on what it is I am doing on it but before target i worked at jcpenney they never put me on a register only sales floor and fitting room so was a bit rough learning for me some of the things still need to call a team lead or manager to help me at times at the register.

I have dyscalculia too @iVibe. I don't mess up change since I think of it in terms of something tangible (Like I have to give them 1 five, 3 dollar bills, 2 quarters, a nickle and a penny instead of thinking I have to give them $8.56). It causes me to switch numbers around or mistake one number for another but I correct myself pretty quickly or play it off like "Oh, it's loud, you must've heard me wrong!" It's only when a) I type in the wrong amount or b) guests start shoving handfuls of change in my face demanding I give them only singles after I already put in the amount that I get fucked up, at which point I a) do a wrong payment, apologize and tell them it's the rules, or b) tell them we can't accept change after the transaction is done, and they're SOL because I purposefully repeat the amount they give me "Out of $X?" in case the guest wants to hold up my line for 5 minutes looking for 67 cents in change.

Yes they get so upset! I got called for back up today and had to leave my shift was ending so I went to tell the guests i was closing and they got all mad sorry but there are other people who work here also.
Always turn off your light about 2 minutes before you want to leave.

Are you kidding? They don't look at lights! I can have my light off and a sign at the end of the belt that says "This register closed", and they STILL try to queue up on me and get nasty when I tell them I'm not available.
True dat.
There was a cart parked across the entrance of my lane & a guest pulled it out of her way.
When I told her I was closed, she said "Well, how was I supposed to know?!"
The cart blocking the lane should've been a clue.

I just apologize and tell them this lane is closed and that the lanes with a light on are the open ones. I get back to ringing up the guest(s) before me. I find that by discreetly dismissing the guest who was trying to sneak into my line, they just tend to move on and don't usually give me any flack.

One of the many problems; I turn off my light to leave &/or go on break and that's when guests cram into my line. The GSA doesn't care to block off my line because she is hiding in Photo. o_O

Sometimes, I even grab a cashier just coming in and ask them to take over my lane & she will yell "go take lane xyz"......

I mean really, guests are clueless about lane lights & some GSAs are worthless when it comes to doing their jobs.:mad:

If its busy, I'll do my best to speed-weave you out of there ASAP. But, there's only one of me and there's a lot of peoples, which becomes a lot of problem. A lot of sale alcohol. Much needing discount approve (if it's less than 20%, just do it plz). Such gift card confusion.

And that cashier needs change- oh Guest Service needs an override ok be there in a second. :oops:

... but if it's slow I will guard your lane like the ark of the covenant. Nooooo touchy
No touchy.
No touch.

Sometimes, when I have a bit of a line when I turn off the lane light I will ask the last guest in my line to let other guests know that I am closed ( I'll say something like...you're my last guest today so will you make sure no one gets in line behind you?)....and then the person in my line is the one to share the bad news......then when that final guest is my last guest I'll give them two dollars off their bill for helping me!

It's amazing how nice that last guest can be....even before they learn that I gave them money off of their check.
They'll say ....I'm sorry....this lane is closed......the cashier is going home! And the guest trying to sneak in line won't give a mean look...they're too surprised to hear another guest say that the lane is closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back