Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any of you cashiers tell me how to use giftcards if someone has their RC connected to cartwheel? I feel bad whenever I have to just explain that they’ll have to save the gift cards for next time.. but I really have no idea how to use it because if I scan cartwheel, the second I press total it just prints the receipt and ends the transaction. Is there a way to do it or would the guest have to remove their red card from their cartwheel to use a gift card?
Preferably if they have their red card with them, ask them if they can do the “physical payment” option so you can do the cartwheel deals, then their gift card payment, then their red card payment.

I’ve only done this once so if the order is incorrect, someone please correct me lol. But if they don’t have their card with them, press total THEN scan their barcode. The screen will ask if they have multiple forms of payment. Select yes. Scan their giftcards, then press I think it’s done? Then it will process their red card payment. The only downside to this I think is I don’t see how their cartwheel offers will be discounted if you scan the barcode after total.

Yeah, you don't need to have them do physical payment. Leo's last paragraph is correct. Except that Cartwheel will be applied as usual, no worries.

If a guest has gift card(s) and their redcard tied to Wallet:

1. DO NOT scan the barcode before you finish scanning items.
2. Scan the barcode AFTER you hit "Total"
3. Register will ask if guest has multiple forms of payment.
4. Select "Yes" (I think it's K1? Can't remember)
5. Scan giftcard/enter access code.
6. If the guest has more gift cards, go back to step 3 until the GCs are done.
7. On the "multiple payments" screen, select "No" (I think it's K3?)
8. Do nothing but wait for the receipt, because the transaction should authorize from their redcard automagically.

When you do your annual training on the computer do you have to do the one where they ask what type of gloves do you were when cleaning up X and where you can look up more information about chemicals that are used or for sale at Target? That's the training module. Congratulations- your trained. It isn't any kind of practical or hands on training. Regular cashiers only get the one where most of the answers are - if it's food you can clean it up, if it is any type of chemical you need to call someone else over. You do that one too. You need to keep taking the test until you score 85% or something like that.

Its more about covering Target if you injure yourself when dealing with these as you were trained how to properly deal with X,Y, and Z and you chose not to do A, B, or C as mandated by the training.
Annual training??? LMAO

Wow. At my store they keep lists of everyone who is up for annual training for that month. For the first half of the month they wait for a quiet 15-30 minutes they can pull you off to do it. If that hasn't happened by mid month they don't care if it is crazy busy you need to get it done. You have to score your minimum and they won't schedule you to work if you don't complete it by the end of the month. If you are on any kind of extended leave, your TL is expected to make sure you get it done within a week of returning. This is just an aside but they also pull you off a register and make you complete the annual survey while on the clock so that the store is at 99% or better completion.

Why would a cashier need the training to clean up something caustic? I mean, seriously think about it. You're going to pull a cashier off the lanes to clean up something that could burn his hands, with only a short Q&A on a computer being his guide. Same thing with GS, you're going to close up GS in order to clean something like bleach up. On top of that, liability. Is Target really going to want to expose its corporate ass to all the lawsuits if everyone is given just a quick Q&A and then some barely 18 year old who only has the quick computer course is expected to clean up something at the lanes when some stupid guest managed to damage both her bottle of bleach and her bottle of cleaning ammonia?

One day I arrived for my shift and found out that someone had spilled Pine Sol at the fitting room. You wouldn't think that would be a problem to clean up, but the fumes left over after the cleanup were so strong it made everyone who stayed close to the fitting room feel sick. Not just me and a couple of other TMs who were close, that included guests changing clothes. Someone botched the cleanup.

For the safety of TMs and the safety of guests only a select number of people should be cleaning up stuff that can cause bodily harm. Those people can get some actual real training, and everyone else knows to stay away to maximize safety.

Cashiers don't get the training for chemical clean up. They get the training- is it food- yes you can clean it up. Is it not food- no, call over the GSTL. GSA, etc and have them take care of the spill. Unknown liquid call for assistance. If asked to clean up a spill that is not food they should refuse and say they are not trained to clean any chemical or hazardous materials.
GS does not get actual training they get the QA module that advises them, when in doubt look up the chemical sheet or call the number- that is located on workbench and a few other places.

I'd like to point out that you said cashiers and backup should be trained to handle all spills in case of something being dropped at the check lanes. Now you are reversing yourself.

Why would a cashier need the training to clean up something caustic? I mean, seriously think about it. You're going to pull a cashier off the lanes to clean up something that could burn his hands, with only a short Q&A on a computer being his guide. Same thing with GS, you're going to close up GS in order to clean something like bleach up. On top of that, liability. Is Target really going to want to expose its corporate ass to all the lawsuits if everyone is given just a quick Q&A and then some barely 18 year old who only has the quick computer course is expected to clean up something at the lanes when some stupid guest managed to damage both her bottle of bleach and her bottle of cleaning ammonia?

One day I arrived for my shift and found out that someone had spilled Pine Sol at the fitting room. You wouldn't think that would be a problem to clean up, but the fumes left over after the cleanup were so strong it made everyone who stayed close to the fitting room feel sick. Not just me and a couple of other TMs who were close, that included guests changing clothes. Someone botched the cleanup.

For the safety of TMs and the safety of guests only a select number of people should be cleaning up stuff that can cause bodily harm. Those people can get some actual real training, and everyone else knows to stay away to maximize safety.

Target got busted by the EPA disposing of chemicals improperly a few years ago. They lost a multi million dollar lawsuit and now everyone has to take training to clean up chemicals properly.

Asants I only clean up food and water. I have protected vomit a couple times until my STL, cart attendant, tl or Etl got there to clean it up. I don't believe everyone has to clean it up. I have taken tests and that's how I know it's not my responsibility.

I feel dumb because I had a guest on Friday who spilled some cleaning chemicals/detergent (not the entire bottle) at my lanes. I wasn't sure what to do, so I flashed my light. I guess the GSTL was busy, since he told me to just clean it up myself. Luckily, it wasn't very busy, so there were no guests waiting behind, which made it easier and less stressful to clean up. I only used paper towels and I didn't use the white powder that I've seen the cart attendant use to clean up spills. I really wish that my GSTLs would review the safety training in case these things happen.

I feel dumb because I had a guest on Friday who spilled some cleaning chemicals/detergent (not the entire bottle) at my lanes. I wasn't sure what to do, so I flashed my light. I guess the GSTL was busy, since he told me to just clean it up myself. Luckily, it wasn't very busy, so there were no guests waiting behind, which made it easier and less stressful to clean up. I only used paper towels and I didn't use the white powder that I've seen the cart attendant use to clean up spills. I really wish that my GSTLs would review the safety training in case these things happen.
You should not have and that could have been corrective action for you and GSTL.

That’s when you say “I’m sorry I’m not trained to do so and would not feel comfortable doing it.”

There was that time when bleach spilled and mixed with apple cider vinegar during the unload, it gassed us out of the trailer in a hurry and the flow TL told us to GTFO to the salesfloor while he stayed behind with his shirt pulled over his face and flung open the other dock door. Those fumes were unbearable even for the 60 seconds it took for everyone to empty out of receiving. Thankfully the trailer was almost done.

I'll take mustard gas over blood and shit any day.

There was that time when bleach spilled and mixed with apple cider vinegar during the unload, it gassed us out of the trailer in a hurry and the flow TL told us to GTFO to the salesfloor while he stayed behind with his shirt pulled over his face and flung open the other dock door. Those fumes were unbearable even for the 60 seconds it took for everyone to empty out of receiving. Thankfully the trailer was almost done.

I'll take mustard gas over blood and shit any day.
I did not know mixing bleach and vinegar were a problem, I only knew about bleach and ammonia. Whoops! No more lots of vinegar plus a little bleach in the washer to clean something particularly smelly.

I did not know mixing bleach and vinegar were a problem, I only knew about bleach and ammonia. Whoops! No more lots of vinegar plus a little bleach in the washer to clean something particularly smelly.

(afaik, I'm not a chemist) mixing bleach with any dilute acid creates chlorine/chloramine vapor. Those aren't usually dangerous if they're dissolved in a liquid, like pool shock into water, but in gas form they can be breathed in which is obviously not good at all.

When I was a tween I mixed bleach with Country Time lemonade powder (ascorbic/citric acid) in some Pyrex glassware to see what would happen (outside on the patio) and it started boiling and made the glass hot to the touch, which freaked me out so I flung it and ran :eek: :D

When my oldest was in middle school I went to one of her classes to do a Career Day.
I figured that it would be boring to just talk about being a chef so I decided to do some kitchen chemistry.
I showed them how you could make coffee creamer turn turn into a nifty flame magic trick, how to make plasma from grapes in a microwave, and how to make a bomb out of vinegar and baking soda.
Needless to say I wasn't invited back.

I was recently pulled off the register for a one-on-one meeting with the GSTL in which we discussed my experience at Target so far, such as any problems, concerns and times you felt most helpful to a guest etc. I brought up the fact that I am still not sure how to deal with spills near a register and he did mention that our Target would have an annual training review sometime this year in which all team members will review the safety training.
Since the training review would not take place for a while (at least based on how busy it has been), he did cover some of the main points like the fact that all team members should clean up food or beverage spills, including glass materials. He also said that if you are on a register and can't attend to a spill, call another team member to guard the spill until someone can clean it up. Lastly, he did say that any team member, not just cart attendants or team leaders can pour the white powder on any kind of detergent or household chemical that are spilled on the floor, but he didn't mention anything about how to dispose of materials used to clean up any kind of chemical.
I just want to make sure that I didn't misinterpret anything that he mentioned while reviewing the safety training. Like Amanda said, cleaning up the chemicals/detergent with paper towels was a mistake, but I would like to ask if I missed something in this summary of hazard training, or if there is something that is incorrect.

Whenever I say sorry I am closed ( I am on back-up) guests get annoyed because I have to get back to the sales floor. I am so so sorry I have to get back to my work....... There are other lanes you know.......... I also have guests who have no manners who chatter on their phones and I am trying to tell them how much they owe or swipe their cards but no they are too busy chattering away! Seriously put down the stupid phone!
Yes they get so upset! I got called for back up today and had to leave my shift was ending so I went to tell the guests i was closing and they got all mad sorry but there are other people who work here also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back