Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
While on the sales floor I heard a couple of times to not use our phones. Before the zebras made Target.com so easy to use I did use my phone for cartwheel demonstrations and tagging and no one said anything, so I'm thinking the statement was a CYA on Target's part. After all, if you are told to use your phone and it slips out of your grip and hits the floor and breaks, you could force them to replace your phone since it was being used for company purposes, and in theory they would also have to pay your monthly phone bill as it's being used for company purposes.
Well that’s why the handbook says explicitly you do not have to use your phone. That clears target of any liability. Now if a TL forced you to that’s a different story, but you could just show them the handbook (I don’t mean you specifically just in general)

I've posted the phone policy before, you can always use your phone to help a guest. It's just not required and you won't be compensated for it

Lol @ people who say it’s bad to use phones on the sale floor, me, my ETL-HL and STL were all using our phones to try and help a guest today...

Lol @ people who say it’s bad to use phones on the sale floor, me, my ETL-HL and STL were all using our phones to try and help a guest today...
I do the same thing I always use my phone and the target app to look for either dpcis or locations for guests. I could use my zebra but the search is so selective compared to the app so it’s so much easier to find an item than a zebra. I couldn’t live without using my phone at work to help guests. Ngl

I do the same thing I always use my phone and the target app to look for either dpcis or locations for guests. I could use my zebra but the search is so selective compared to the app so it’s so much easier to find an item than a zebra. I couldn’t live without using my phone at work to help guests. Ngl
What I do now is use the Target app on the zebra to find the dpci and then flip screens to punch the number into My Work. It's just as easy as using the Target app on your phone.

The only time I use my phone now is when I don't have a zebra and I have to look something up for a guest and I don't need to know quantity on hand. Those are a very rare set of circumstances.

Edit: For items outside of softlines I give landmark directions. ("Go that way until you see Shoes and then turn left. Keep going past clothing, after that towels will be on your right. Keep going straight and looking right and curtains will be on the right a little past the bath section.") I've never had a guest seem unhappy with the directions or confused by them.

Last edited:
I used to use my phone to help guests when I didn't have access to a My Device but once I went full time on SD I had the right equipment. Zebras are great for helping guests if you can get one.

We were told NOT to use our phones for guests to get Cartwheel discounts. We were allowed to use Zebras if the guest didn't have a smart phone. If they did, we were instructed to show them how to download the app. When they put Cartwheel right into the Target app, it worked for a while when you were logged in as Target but once Wallet was introduced, youhad to have an account to use Cartwheel.

Bam! No more free Cartwheel for flip phone users and computer losers (j/k about the loser part)
One GSA always told me to use my phone. Like, no it's against policy and I don't want my "just for you" section full of Dr Pepper and diapers. I manually offered the discount to a handful of guests who did not own computers or cell phones, not even flip phones. We're talking one luddite and 3 or 4 ancient oldsters. K1 - arrow down - type in percent - K3. Easy. (God, by the time I go back to work in another Target, I'll have forgotten all the functions)

Before we closed there was that 20% off clearance clothing offer. My opening cashier called me over to say that the guest (mid 30's with an iPhone) was having trouble with her Cartwheel. I explained that it was in the Target app now, and if she opened it, I'd show her where it was.
The guest said "I don't have an app" so I said, "no problem, let's get you started saving money".

You'd have thought I suggested she start taking off her top right there. Got so pissed and refused to load a free app onto her phone. One of those "you shouldn't have to do that, you should let everyone get the discount!".
So my cashier says, isn't there a way to do it on the register? I'm like, not really, only if Cartwheel scans but doesn't pick up an offer they added. We can't go changing prices willy nilly since the technology is available.

The guest said, well never mind, I'm not putting your app on my phone so I said, okay, well, if you change your mind, let us know.

The next thing ya' know, the cashier is changing the price on EVERYTHING. I called my GSA over but she was like, fuck it, we're closing, I'm not doing anything. (This one literally just stopped working a month before close, just stood around)
I don't know why but it aggravated the crap out of me, the cashier willfully breaking policy and the GSA being a useless lump but I was seriously aggravated that day.

Of course, in the big picture of things, our store is closed and who gives a fuck. But for all the stores that are still open, policy is important and you should use your phone if you can't access a Zebra to help guests but not to give them Cartwheel.

TL;DR

words, cartwheel, don't use your phone, people suck.

I do the same thing I always use my phone and the target app to look for either dpcis or locations for guests. I could use my zebra but the search is so selective compared to the app so it’s so much easier to find an item than a zebra. I couldn’t live without using my phone at work to help guests.

Yeah. If the MyWork app a) had better natural search and b) filtered for items in-store first rather than making me spend 10 minutes scrolling through "not sold in this store" items I'd use it more. As it is, it's way faster (if the guest doesn't have the item up on their own Target app) to search for it there, then enter the DPCI in the zebra for exact location and quantity.

I keep running into issues with MyWork not having the Target app, but wanting to go to the Target website version or something which tends to pester you every five seconds about signing in. I had tons of issues with it during the holidays, which is why I started using my phone. Might try again and see if that's been fixed.

Edit: For items outside of softlines I give landmark directions. ("Go that way until you see Shoes and then turn left. Keep going past clothing, after that towels will be on your right. Keep going straight and looking right and curtains will be on the right a little past the bath section.") I've never had a guest seem unhappy with the directions or confused by them.

I can never remember aisle numbers, so I go with "It's in aisle C35-ish" or "Give or take a few aisles. It also offers a good opening to note we're getting a remodel so it's not worth memorizing all the aisle numbers...

The guest said, well never mind, I'm not putting your app on my phone so I said, okay, well, if you change your mind, let us know.

Yours was the correct response. Cartwheel is Target's version of a rewards card. The tradeoff for rewards card-type discounts are things like having to get the card (or app) and exchanging data about your purchases in order to get those discounts. You're free to choose whether that tradeoff is worth it to you (it is for Target, for me). If it's not, that's fine, but you also don't get the discounts. That's not the way it works.

Yours was the correct response. Cartwheel is Target's version of a rewards card. The tradeoff for rewards card-type discounts are things like having to get the card (or app) and exchanging data about your purchases in order to get those discounts. You're free to choose whether that tradeoff is worth it to you (it is for Target, for me). If it's not, that's fine, but you also don't get the discounts. That's not the way it works.

Except at my store...we have to give them the discount anyway. I die a little bit every time I have to do that.

Yeah. If the MyWork app a) had better natural search and b) filtered for items in-store first rather than making me spend 10 minutes scrolling through "not sold in this store" items I'd use it more. As it is, it's way faster (if the guest doesn't have the item up on their own Target app) to search for it there, then enter the DPCI in the zebra for exact location and quantity.

MyWork search just needs to be scrapped and replaced with Target.com/App Search, and you need to be able to see pics of items in there, or just make a "see item in Target app" button.

What is Target's policy (or your individual store's policy) about getting the 5% discount if you don't have your card but can bring it in along with your receipt? And do you think everyone in your store or other local store's are on the same page about this?

I was told and this is what I tell guests when asked that it needs to be brought in before close of business on the same day in order to get the discount. This way the receipt can be voided for wrong payment. I know this isn't convenient for most but we do have a few very local guests who live less than 2 minutes drive away and might come back especially if it is early in the day. We have other guests that might live within 10 minutes and if the purchase is big and the discount is over $20 might come back.

I heard another cashier- who works guest services more than I do, tell the guest they can bring in their receipt within 7 days. Working guest services I have had guests tell me that they were told either by someone at my store or at the other local Target store that this could be done in some cases the following business day up to a month later. So what is the real deal. I know of 2 work arounds to give the discount if a supervisor tells me to do so because they were told they could come in later and are putting up a loud fight but what is the actual policy?

I mean really the only thing we can do is post-void the payment and redo it with their redcard if it’s the same day. After that there’s literally nothing we can do. And we shouldn’t anyways, the whole point of you getting the discount is because you paid with the card. Just having the card is not enough because target still has to pay the transaction fee lol. Whoever is telling people they have 7 days is really dumb because there’s literally no way unless you sit there and wrong price every single item on the receipt and adjust it down 5% but I personally am not going to do that for anyone because it’s ridiculous. I was told best practice is you can only get the 5% if you are actually paying with that card. Even if the guest has it with them and says they forgot the pin or whatever, can they still get the 5%, no they can’t because you have to literally be paying with the card for it to go down. You can just say there’s no way for you to manually do it lol

What is Target's policy (or your individual store's policy) about getting the 5% discount if you don't have your card but can bring it in along with your receipt? And do you think everyone in your store or other local store's are on the same page about this?

I have always been told that it had to be done on the same business day. I do let them know they can link their red card to Cartwheel in the Target app so I have saved a few people a trip back to the store that way. I would never give them the 5% off just because they forgot their red card or the pin they picked out.

So now my store has gone back to reviewing each cashier for EVERY shift. The GSA/TLs sneak up behind you to make sure you are friendly, helpful, and promoting all things Target. You are supposed to mention the new brands and push redcards , cartwheel and wallet. I do this anyway so no worries. However, some of the older (in age) cashiers are very worried (and they should be). One went home in tears. The GSTL told her several times that not doing these things could lead to her termination. This reminds me of a few years ago where leadership would sneak up on cashiers to see if they were selling the redcard.

My biggest concern about all this is having sufficient time with each guest to have meaningful conversation without sounding like a robot. It's hard when you've got 3-5 in line because you have 7 cashiers for THE WHOLE DAMN DAY.

You are supposed to mention the new brands and push redcards , cartwheel and wallet.

As a guest this would drive me bugfuck. I ask if they have Cartwheel or are saving 5%, but I'm not going to gush about new brands or try to dig into what they have on their phone. That's obnoxious.

How do you even manage to talk about Cartwheel while checking out? That just seems ridiculous. "Hey, are you using Cartwheel today?" "Uh, what's that?" Take the time to explain Cartwheel as the line builds up behind the guest. Take the time for the guest to download and install Cartwheel, and hope they remember their Apple Play Store password and don't have issues with cellular signal, the two big trip ups on the sales floor. Set up a Target account, as the line is getting longer and longer. Either void the whole transaction or be super careful about what's been scanned and what hasn't as the guest scans the barcode on every single item in the cart. Watch the line get to ridiculous and watch the guests behind get fed up and leave. Finally check the guest out. Ask the next guest "Hey, are you using Cartwheel today?" only to find out you are going to have to do the same exact thing all over again.

I have signed up many people for Cartwheel during checkout. Just like @HRZone said, they can step out if the lines are long and they want the discounts right then. If there’s no lines, I don’t mind walking them through it.

I ask if they have any coupons or Cartwheel. If they say "what's Cartwheel?" I would explain, but I don't think I've had anyone not know what it is. I have had a couple guests ask about the transition to the Target app, which provides an opportunity to talk about how awesome the Target app is (because it really is), but never had anyone want to take the time right then to download & set it up on the spot. Which is fine--download it when you get home and have it ready for next time.

From what I've seen on the sales floor, it's not an easy process. They can't just stand to the side and download it, they also have to be taught on how to use it. You have to show them how to look up offers if they have an idea of what they are looking for, you have to show them how to use the barcode scanner to see if something is on Cartwheel and how the similar offers work, you have to show them how to see what offers they have on their list, you have to explain the limitations and coupon stacking, you have to walk them through finding the barcode and explain how the Target coupons are different and have a different barcode so they don't get those mixed up or miss a coupon offer. It takes a few minutes to get them fully up to speed. And I have seen a lot of people who either have a hard time getting into the Play store or are having issues with either cellular data or staying hooked into the Target wifi.

The best opportunity to sell cartwheel is on the floor. You know, where the signs are. If guests ask locations on things or if you need to get something from the back and there's a cartwheel offer on it you can tell them, oh by the way, this is 20% off through cartwheel, which they tend to appreciate.

The best opportunity to sell cartwheel is on the floor. You know, where the signs are. If guests ask locations on things or if you need to get something from the back and there's a cartwheel offer on it you can tell them, oh by the way, this is 20% off through cartwheel, which they tend to appreciate.
I completely agree. It's a little harder to work in a Cartwheel spiel on the floor if the offerings for the week don't match the area I'm in, but when my area matches an offer or a guest comments how they need something for the kids and there's an offer there I get it in. The few times clearance has a Cartwheel offer, I'll have half the folks at the fitting room signed up before they leave the clearance racks. Baby hardlines is hard for me because I can't remember all the offerings, but I can work it in if someone's got a question about diapers since diapers always has something on Cartwheel, even if it's just a manufacturer's coupon.

As a rule, in my store we will only adjust the 5% if (a) they already have a RedCard and come back with it same day to do a wrong payment adjustment or (b) they apply and get the "need further information" message.

There was one day when RedCard was completely down and no payment attempts were going through on any register, we also gave the 5% off that day to guests who first attempted to pay with RC and then had to use something else. And we did have a few angry guests that day who (allegedly) came in only with their RC and didn't have a backup method of payment.

Cartwheel annoys me a little bit because our guests are idiots who can't read. The signs very clearly say "discount with Cartwheel" and "get the app" and so on, but all they see is 15% off. The ones who get nasty about it are the ones I refuse to help in any way. If they're reasonably polite, I'll offer to suspend the transaction and hold their purchases either at my register or at GS (depending on how much they have) while they go to SBux where the Wifi is strongest and download the app. If they have only one or two items, they're nice to me, and I don't have a line, I'll do them the favor of adjusting it now and telling them to go home and download the app.

"Hi how are you, didja have fun shopping, do you have any coupons or cartwheel today, will you be saving 5% with us today"
Vary a few words here and there and personalize it for your regulars, but that's how you work in Cartwheel every time you interact with a guest checking out.

"What's Cartwheel?"

It's a part of the Target app that allows you to save on hundreds of items in store. (hands are moving, you're still ringing in their stuff)
If they want to download it, suspend the transaction, tell them that they can move to the side, or we can hold their cart if they want to have a seat in the Cafe and enjoy a snack while they get set up.

If they have only Cartwheel specific items, like maybe shoes for the family are 30% off, and it's a quick transaction, they STILL have to download it. No, they didn't read the sign, yes, they're going to resist. Offer to suspend or if you've only rung up a few items and they're going to DL the app, void everything and move them to the side. Tell them you'll show them how to use it when they come back. But be nice about it, you have to be diplomatic in retail. You come here to bitch, but out there, you have to be a freakin' UN ambassador.

Anyway, once they download it and set up their account, THAT's when you scan the suspend ticket and start back with them. Yes, they have to get back in line. But that's just the way it is, it's one time only, get it out of the way.

That was my approach to Red Cards too - sign up now, get it over with, put money in your pocket. I ended 2017 as #1 red card seller in my store without tricks or lies. And you all know, there's that one TM who lies like a rug to get old people to sign up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back